Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everesting Ticknock - July 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

One evening a few years ago I got about 400 midge bites at Ticknock in only a couple of hours.

Whoa. Were you walking or cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alek wrote: »
    Whoa. Were you walking or cycling?
    Walking and running mostly, I think, it was a kids MTB spin. Maybe you're too fast for them. :)

I read somewhere that 5-6 kph is enough to escape midges. I should be a tad faster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Just in case:

WANTED: Two volunteers to sacrifice themselves to the midges, so that our intrepid hero may escape unscathed. Must taste great to midges. Experience preferred but not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Best of luck Alek.

I'll be along late afternoon to point and laugh give some encouragement. :D

I'd offer to take a spin up with you but having loked at the gradients on the segment I'd be afraid you might drop me on you 30th rep :P

I'll bring the MTB for a spin on the trails so will probably drop in and out. If there's anything you realise you need or forgot during the day shout and I'll help out if I can. :)

• Advertisement

robyntmorton - hahaha :D

iwillhtfu - at this stage I wish I could take a hardtail and watch someone else doing it... But we can take turns, noone needs to know... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just in case:

WANTED: Two volunteers to sacrifice themselves to the midges, so that our intrepid hero may escape unscathed. Must taste great to midges. Experience preferred but not required.
    They seem to like the taste of Lumen (400 bites :eek:), two volunteers mightn't be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Ticknock - does one ride this on road bike or is one better advised on a cx or other due to surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Ticknock - does one ride this on road bike or is one better advised on a cx or other due to surface?

It's tarmac all the way up, though there are plenty of MTB trails as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I was eaten alive a few weeks ago by the midges up there. As long as you keep moving you'll be fine.
    As for the carpet of needles, I always wondered would they cause you any issues, especially when you get tired. I'd give you a hand sweeping if you did want to clear a path. Hope to join you for a few reps on Friday.

• Advertisement

What time do these midges get up at? They'd probably have a lie on in the bed after a late Thursday night, right?

If you're serious re: helping sweeping, I'll give you a shout on Thursday when I'll be heading there. What time suits you?

The final gear setup... jaysus, I hope it holds ;)

422031.jpg

422032.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

If you're serious re: helping sweeping, I'll give you a shout on Thursday when I'll be heading there. What time suits you?

Thursday @10.30am suits me, will you be supplying the brushes or do I need to tape one to my bike😀

Cool man! I'll be taping one to mine, if I find two I'll give you a shout :D We'll look like congregation of bike witches going there haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The final gear setup... jaysus, I hope it holds ;)

422031.jpg

422032.jpg

is that a hack or bodge?

Cool man! I'll be taping one to mine, if I find two I'll give you a shout :D We'll look like congregation of bike witches going there haha

It's a coven of witches. Everesting or not, get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'm working Thursday but if you were up there early I could head up before work. Otherwise I could get up there after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Best of luck Alex.

I hope that there will be regular updates, posted here, on the day.
    Please.

is that a hack or bodge?

Both!
    I'm working Thursday but if you were up there early I could head up before work.

I think that 10.30 suggested by irishrover will be just perfect for me, I need to sleep well for a few days before and later on the day I'll rather be preparing other things, food etc.. But thanks anyway!!

• Advertisement

I hope that there will be regular updates, posted here, on the day.

No matter how hard I tried, I was never the best one man band around. Can't really climb and type! ;)

Would you not just order a pizza to be delivered to the top of the hill!

Have you just volunteered?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Will definitely join you for a few reps after work , hopefully we get a good crew together for you to draft :cool:

godtabh wrote: »
    is that a hack or bodge?

It's a Ghetto fix.

No matter how hard I tried, I was never the best one man band around. Can't really climb and type! ;)

I was hoping that some of your supporters might do the typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Ah here, does Alek want one of his supporters to cycle it for him too (don't answer that ;))

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

We need hashtags I think, only logical way to do this.

Answers on a postcard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek - Garmin and Gomadic charger handed over to crosstownk this morning.

(I also included a top tube bag in case you need to put the charger in it while charging on the go).

Advertisement