Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Soarer wrote: »
    Well if it's mostly city driving, chances are you don't need the range of the L40.

So maybe save yourself a few quid and get a top spec L30?

It is via my company, they only buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ccunurse1995

Have the 2018 Leaf SV with a 191 reg now for two weeks and still learning things about it. It is everything I had imagined based on the obsessive reading I did beforehand and while waiting for delivery and SEAI grant. For my commutes to Dublin and back it is fantastic. Very quick and reliable and well-suited for short motorway hops, given its fast acceleration and adequate top speed. Obviously 120kph downs the range rapidly but fine for short city hops, driving it similarly to ICE in terms of speed (or faster). First thing I did with it was drive up the Wicklow Gap, as I expect it not to have problems with that (and it didn't with 130km first drive, returning with 26% after mixed driving but not Leafspeed on smaller roads for the most part).

On the open, quiet motorway (i.e. M9), regardless of speed limits, most people average 130kph, and the Leaf can match that and faster (max 155kph, I have heard) but will not get too far at that speed. For a longer drive last weekend of 150km with kids in back, I took a slow winding route on the way to destination and motorway on the return with a howling wind behind and heavy rain. Was averaging 20kwh/100km at 110-120, and 27kwh/100 when accelerating to overtake. Tested the ICC behind BÉ bus at 100-110 and that dropped to 16kwh/100. Have not had the chance for the 180km drive to Tipp, yet.

The GOM was at 83km while distance at 53km, nearly converging after 120km, so stopped at Enfield for chademo charge for 15min before getting home rather than crawling home. A Kona waiting on the AC fast charge pulled up so left when I had enough for a bit of home driving (40%). Would have made it though. Temperature was 4-6 degrees Celsius yesterday, and heating at 17 deg C (auto setting, with heat pump).

So, far no problems with the charging infrastructure, but mostly charging with granny cable. Will install EVSE shortly.

Still going ok for you? What you think of the Adaptive cruise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just wondering has anyone managed to get 3 car seats into the back of a Leaf? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone managed to get 3 car seats into the back of a Leaf? Thanks

All depends on the type of child seats and the combination but we've had 3 seats in together in the L24 - 1 high backed and 2 boosters.

* Edit - just realized this is about the 2018 Leaf but I doubt if there's less room in the back of the L40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

jprboy wrote: »
    All depends on the type of child seats and the combination but we've had 3 seats in together in the L24 - 1 high backed and 2 boosters.

* Edit - just realized this is about the 2018 Leaf but I doubt if there's less room in the back of the L40.

Currently it would be 2 x Discovery SL Highback and ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Still going ok for you? What you think of the Adaptive cruise?

Just sawbthis. Going great, thanks. Happy with choice and will suffice for next few years. Adaptive is useful for quietish motorway, and tend not to use it much except on longer journeys to keep my foot off accerlerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I LOVE the adaptive cruise. Use it all the time.

It's on most days on the N11/M50 commuting to work (not so quiet!)

Current habit is I set it to 130 once I get on the N11 (Southern Cross Bray) and turn it off when I'm getting close to the Red Cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

First service today, 95 euro inc vat

Pollen filter was not replaced (it was still grand), wheels rotated, passenger side hub nut re-torqued which cured the clicking noise when taking off and screen wash topped up, even though I filled it this morning myself !

Service book stamped.

All set for another year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

icom wrote: »
    First service today, 95 euro inc vat

Pollen filter was not replaced (it was still grand), wheels rotated, passenger side hub nut re-torqued which cured the clicking noise when taking off and screen wash topped up, even though I filled it this morning myself !

Service book stamped.

All set for another year :)

I was charged 129 for my 1st year service which included changing pollen filter - its 149stg in uk so I was ok with it. But now you have made me envious :D of not paying the extra 34 euro for a paper filter.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Our April 2018 car continues to work with no issues after those front hubs were torqued at the first service. There is already 38k on the clock so mileage continues going up quickly.

The battery is down to reported 93.7% but as the car still seems to archive the usual 250 km per charge in the summer local/N roads driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

samih wrote: »
    Our April 2018 car continues to work with no issues after those front hubs were torqued at the first service. There is already 38k on the clock so mileage continues going up quickly.

The battery is down to reported 93.7% but as the car still seems to archive the usual 250 km per charge in the summer local/N roads driving.

6% degradation at that milage seems pretty good at that milage for a Leaf

Most users on mynissanleaf report about 5-7% every 30k km for 40kWh battery, lot of them in the states thuough

At your rate if stays linear it will have almost 250k km done before it goes under 70%, alot more than warranty Nissan gives

I'm still not convinced that I have actually lost 6 percent. I should have lost close to 20 kilometers of range compared to new but this doesn't seem to be a case.

Also the GOM seem to be more accurate predicting the range than when the car was new. So the mileage when unplugging the car has reduced from 27X to 25X but in reality the battery now lasts 250ish real kilometers in summer. Which was always the case since new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Are you perhaps losing the capacity off any spare capacity the battery has unused when car is new?????.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Old diesel wrote: »
    Are you perhaps losing the capacity off any spare capacity the battery has unused when car is new?????.

Could be programmed like that, but that would mean the degradation will speed up because you start using a higher % of your total capacity.

unkel wrote: »
    Could be programmed like that, but that would mean the degradation will speed up because you start using a higher % of your total capacity.

Who knows what is going on. I guess the root of all evils is the leafspy. Otherwise all of this would be hidden until the 1st capacity bar drops. It's just a question of wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

samih wrote: »

Over 40K kms here since May'18 and was prompted to check my leafspy by this post ... 94.07% SOH, in case anyone finds that datapoint useful

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wow, my L30 is two years older and 96% SOH, L40 battery drop is much sharper

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slave1 wrote: »
    Wow, my L30 is two years older and 96% SOH

That is after the software update, isn't it?

I'm not sure if I would believe those figures on a 3 year old Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

For reference
    L40

32000kms
    93.84% SOH
    53 QC & 922/2 L2 charges

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    That is after the software update, isn't it?

I'm not sure if I would believe those figures on a 3 year old Leaf.

I haven't had the software update yet, I looked for it when it was being serviced and they ran out of time (said their wifi was down).
    I've used the formulae to get me from Leafspy 91.x% to 96%

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

For reference
    L40

32000kms
    93.84% SOH
    53 QC & 922/2 L2 charges

Seems to be about average

30k to 5% loss is the average on mynissanleaf forum

Its seems to slow down, as guys with close to 100k have about 10-12% loss

What do others with no liquid cooling like Ioniq/Golf etc degrade at?

No much info on them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Seems to be about average

30k to 5% loss is the average on mynissanleaf forum

Its seems to slow down, as guys with close to 100k have about 10-12% loss

What do others with no liquid cooling like Ioniq/Golf etc degrade at?

No much info on them

None of the other EV's have an app that give as much detail as LeafSpy so no one knows except the manufacturers.

All you can see in those cars is the bars in the dash so as far as the owners are concerned they are still at 100% but the reality is there is degradation just we dont know how much and we dont know at what percentage that first bar drop happens in those cars either.

The first bar drop seems to happen in the Leaf around the 4yr mark and the Ioniq isnt that old yet.

KCross wrote: »
    None of the other EV's have an app that give as much detail as LeafSpy so no one knows except the manufacturers.

All you can see in those cars is the bars in the dash so as far as the owners are concerned they are still at 100% but the reality is there is degradation just we dont know how much and we dont know at what percentage that first bar drop happens in those cars either.

The first bar drop seems to happen in the Leaf around the 4yr mark and the Ioniq isnt that old yet.

I see

I thought the app could be used on all cars, explains why you only hear about Leaf and Teslas

Leaf gets a bad rap, when others could be similar then

Even Teslas with advanced cooling systems degrade

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mike9832 wrote: »
    I see

I thought the app could be used on all cars, explains why you only hear about Leaf and Teslas

Leaf gets a bad rap, when others could be similar then

Even Teslas with advanced cooling systems degrade

Correct, LeafSpy is great but it basically is airing your dirty laundry. Im surprised Nissan didnt stop it somehow with a firmware update.

You can probe some data from the Ioniq but everyone that I've heard posting their SoH for their battery is always 100%.... that to me means that its not the true SoH but just reflecting what the dash is showing. The true SoH after 3 years cannot be still 100%.... laws of physics still apply..... unless the car is using up some of its buffer which is possible too but unlikely I think.

The general wisdom is that LG and SDI cells will be better than Nissan's AESC cells but there isnt any firm data to back that up yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Correct, LeafSpy is great but it basically is airing your dirty laundry. Im surprised Nissan didnt stop it somehow with a firmware update.

You can probe some data from the Ioniq but everyone that I've heard posting their SoH for their battery is always 100%.... that to me means that its not the true SoH but just reflecting what the dash is showing. The true SoH after 3 years cannot be still 100%.... laws of physics still apply..... unless the car is using up some of its buffer which is possible too but unlikely I think.

The general wisdom is that LG and SDI cells will be better than Nissan's AESC cells but there isnt any firm data to back that up yet.

The Ioniq has a 31kWh battery but reports on its advertised 28kWh usable. That's 10% degradation before we'll start to see any impact. UK Leaf's reportedly degrade at 2-3% per year. That means we should only start to see Ioniqs drop below 100% after about 3.5 years.

It's a pity there's no data from Arizona, we'd know for sure with data from the EV killing temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

The SOH number is nonsense unless it can be averaged over 4 readings across the year. I'm at 91% 151 24kWh 80k km, but in Jan 2019 it was at 99% and Oct 2019 92%, There's a huge correlation with temperature!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

AhHaor wrote: »
    The SOH number is nonsense unless it can be averaged over 4 readings across the year. I'm at 91% 151 24kWh 80k km, but in Jan 2019 it was at 99% and Oct 2019 92%, There's a huge correlation with temperature!

Never knew that! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The other Leaf spy figure to watch for I understand is the kwh remaining that shows up when at 100 percent*.

Ive seen people say they had 38.5 kwh showing at 100 percent when car was new but now showing 36.5 kwh.

Was surprised to hear of the 38.5 kwh as the consensus for ages was that L40 has 37 kwh usable.

That 37 kwh was based on people literally taking the car to it literally conks out. (This is how people know the L40 gives you a reserve when you hit "zero").

*Leafspy shows amount remaining at all times but the figure you get at 100 percent is what counts - as that's where any capacity loss shows up.

The 40 kWh battery SOH just goes down, never up unlike our previous L24. And there are consistent larger drops every 3 months. It looks like every L40 out there pretty much follows the same programmed curve down.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the actual range over the life cycle of these cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

I've seen some fella taking the pain and doing serious measurements and maths with eGolf and his conclusion was %2 to 2.5% per year. Don't remember the mileage, think it was "normal", and can't find the link sadly.

Advertisement