Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Not a near miss, more a 'hit'. Me, this morning, Donnybrook.

Driver pulled out into the yellow box then stopped dead. I only left the last 40 seconds in to show the driver not bothering to come over to me at all. Not once did he ask me how I was. Driving a Golf TDI, I think he was more pissed off that my body had dented his boy racer car, or that people had witnessed it. Ambulance/fire brigade in attendance, A&E, X-Rays etc but thankfully only battered and bruised - I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

p15574 wrote: »
    Not a near miss, more a 'hit'. Me, this morning, Donnybrook

Driver pulled out into the yellow box then stopped dead. I only left the last 40 seconds in to show the driver not bothering to come over to me at all. Not once did he ask me how I was. Driving a Golf TDI, I think he was more pissed off that my body had dented his boy racer car, or that people had witnessed it. Ambulance/fire brigade in attendance, A&E, X-Rays etc but thankfully only battered and bruised - I think.

Hope you’re ok, glad it wasn’t more serious. Did he actually just get out, look down at you, and then say nothing? **** sake. Any idea what he was even doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...Any idea what he was even doing?

I live near that junction - all the best TDI drivers do this - they look to see is there a bus/taxi or other motor vehicle coming in the bus lane, and when there isn't, they pull across it and stop to wait for the other lane(s) to clear.
    If there is a bus coming, some of them pull across the bike lane and then stop to wait for the bus to pass...

Hope that you and the bike are ok, and well done for nailing his car in the hard-to-fix rear quarter, rather than the quick-fix bolt-on door skin :p

Seriously ???? I assume someone eventually came to check on you and called for help as you said emergency services were in attendance. So you were just left lying in a heap in the road and he's looking at his car and contemplating the inconvenience of it all with the possibility of a panel beater being needed and what not. Jesus wept, some people.

Glad you're ok and not seriously hurt.

EDIT: Where did the beep come from after the impact? Wasn't him was it?

Hope you’re ok, glad it wasn’t more serious. Did he actually just get out, look down at you, and then say nothing? **** sake. Any idea what he was even doing?

Yes, he didn't say a single word to me. It was only on looking at the video that I noticed his momentary glance at me.

• Advertisement

Seriously ???? I assume someone eventually came to check on you and called for help as you said emergency services were in attendance. So you were just left lying in a heap in the road and he's looking at his car and contemplating the inconvenience of it all with the possibility of a panel beater being needed and what not. Jesus wept, some people.

Glad you're ok and not seriously hurt.

EDIT: Where did the beep come from after the impact? Wasn't him was it?

Thankfully two very nice ladies, one a driver, came to me within seconds and called the ambulance and stayed with me. Handy that it only had to come about 100m. I still cannot believe that I was lying on the ground for about 10 minutes and he seemed to just be concerned with his car. No bones broken but I do feel like I was hit by a train or something.

No idea about the beep, sorry. Could have been him smashing his steering wheel in frustration about bloody cyclists or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yes, he didn't say a single word to me. It was only on looking at the video that I noticed his momentary glance at me.

Did you get insurance details? Be a real shame if a small claim resulted in his premium skyrocketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Was it reported? Will there be legal action taken against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Genuine question and not trolling - I've never cycled as I'm not brave enough to do it in Dublin! But I know that junction very well, and the car is obstructing the cycle lane as you're passing through the pedestrian crossing. It looks like there's loads of time for you to stop. Were you expecting the car to pull out onto the road so you just kept going? It does look like he's about to pull off, but then stops...

Just curious. Obviously he shouldn't be obstructing the cycle lane and is 100% in the wrong. Well aware that I'm asking this as someone who has never sat cheek on a bicycle seat!

Genuine question and not trolling - I've never cycled as I'm not brave enough to do it in Dublin! But I know that junction very well, and the car is obstructing the cycle lane as you're passing through the pedestrian crossing. It looks like there's loads of time for you to stop. Were you expecting the car to pull out onto the road so you just kept going? It does look like he's about to pull off, but then stops...

Just curious. Obviously he shouldn't be obstructing the cycle lane and is 100% in the wrong. Well aware that I'm asking this as someone who has never sat cheek on a bicycle seat!

Less than 2 seconds between the car blocking the lane and the impact, that’s not much time to stop.

• Advertisement

I'm not from Dublin so had to look it up

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3228757,-6.2381224,3a,75y,191.27h,84.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suNycrkbbPe42YCYV2koufQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

p15574 was past the pedestrian crossing before the golf stopped. No time to react, who would expect a car to just stop and block both the cycle lane and the main traffic lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

amcalester wrote: »
    Less than 2 seconds between the car blocking the lane and the impact, that’s not much time to stop.

I've noticed reviewing a video myself, what felt like no notice in real life, appears like plenty when looking at a video. I'll put up one of my own in awhile.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I've noticed reviewing a video myself, what felt like no notice in real life, appears like plenty when looking at a video. I'll put up one of my own in awhile.

Another thing to consider is that these cameras used to record are wide angle to maximise how much is seen in the recording. This distortion can make things look further away then they really are.

CramCycle wrote: »

Yeah, I get that and have experienced it myself. I think it’s because when watching the video you’re expecting something to happen (wouldn’t be watching it otherwise) and so it’s not as surprising.

When you’re ripping along at 25-30kmh you don’t get that forewarning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

assuming that the distance p15574 had after it became obvious the car was pulling out was 8m, and initial speed was 25km/h (7m/s), the deceleration required would have been about -0.3g. from what i can google, the max you could possibly expect from a bike is 0.5g (mountain bike tyres on tarmac), so it seems the collision was inevitable - and the above does not take reaction times into account.

note that swerving left would have involved mounting a traffic island, and swerving right would have involved swerving out into the path of the car being avoided. not many options open.

assuming that the distance p15574 had after it became obvious the car was pulling out was 8m, and initial speed was 25km/h (7m/s), the deceleration required would have been about -0.3g. from what i can google, the max you could possibly expect from a bike is 0.5g (mountain bike tyres on tarmac), so it seems the collision was inevitable - and the above does not take reaction times into account.

note that swerving left would have involved mounting a traffic island, and swerving right would have involved swerving out into the path of the car being avoided. not many options open.

Which would you prefer - going over the handlebars or colliding with the car?

The car I'd say, over the handlebars at that speed can often means your jaw has to be rebuilt with extensive dental work. Less chance of head injury with the car also.

tuxy wrote: »
    The car I'd say, over the handlebars at that speed can often mean your jaw has to be rebuilt with extensive dental work.

Agreed.

And, it means the driver has to stick around. Otherwise he could just head away.

Did you get insurance details? Be a real shame if a small claim resulted in his premium skyrocketing.
    I don't have his insurance details but a fireman got his name/phone/reg and have them to me so I'll certainly be giving him a call. I'll be out medical costs and probably damage to the bike. Will probably be up to him as to whether his insurance company finds out. Though his behaviour so far hasn't impressed me, which may reduce my empathy.
    Was it reported? Will there be legal action taken against him?
    The fireman said I'll need to report to the Gardaí, as will the other guy. So it certainly will be reported by me anyway. As for legal action, I suppose it'll be up to the guards.
    It looks like there's loads of time for you to stop. Were you expecting the car to pull out onto the road so you just kept going? It does look like he's about to pull off, but then stops...Just curious. Obviously he shouldn't be obstructing the cycle lane and is 100% in the wrong
    As has been said, it looks like longer in the video than it actually was in real life. I probably had about a second, and I was on a road bike, holding onto the top handlebars ,and the brakes were on the front (if you get me), so I had to change hand position to brake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a question with an easy answer. worst i ever came off was when colliding with a car. i've gone over the handlebars without suffering too much damage. but i suspect the latter is much more of a lottery than the former.

• Advertisement

not a question with an easy answer. worst i ever came off was when colliding with a car. i've gone over the handlebars without suffering too much damage. but i suspect the latter is much more of a lottery than the former.

No, definitely a chose your poison question.

I’ve gone over a bonnet twice and I’d chose that over going over the handlebars.

I don't have his insurance details but a fireman got his name/phone/reg and have them to me so I'll certainly be giving him a call. I'll be out medical costs and probably damage to the bike. Will probably be up to him as to whether his insurance company finds out. Though his behaviour so far hasn't impressed me, which may reduce my empathy.

I'd want nothing to do with someone like him. If he had killed you he probably wouldn't have acted differently. Ask the Guards about getting his insurance details. That's who you need to contact not the driver.

I'd want nothing to do with someone like him. If he had killed you he probably wouldn't have acted differently. Ask the Guards about getting his insurance details. That's who you need to contact not the driver.

Yeah, just get the insurance details and deal with them.

Once it’s all sorted he can pay them back if he wants.

I'd take the collision rather than over the handlebars. Report to Gardai, they will probably say why not at the time and just let them know that the fire brigade responded. The Gardai decide on legal action, you decide on compensation action. I don't think you'll be out medical and bike costs once they see the video and a few notes from yourself from here about the distances. Your choice about a solicitor, but insurance companies are very quick to deal with without them, and solicitors fees are too much if there is no personal injury. This said, solicitors know the ins and outs, and if it's anymore than the bike and a few scratches, I'd be onto one

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

p15574 wrote:
    As has been said, it looks like longer in the video than it actually was in real life. I probably had about a second, and I was on a road bike, holding onto the top handlebars ,and the brakes were on the front (if you get me), so I had to change hand position to brake.

Only viewing this on my phone , and I'm in no way familiar with the junction, but you had a green light, seemingly.

About 4.15 onwards, looks faster on a mobile than a desktop.

I actually can't deal with cycle lanes like that in urban areas with slow moving traffic. The only time I've been hit by a car was while using one. Not sure if it's the best thing to do but I just use the main lane, overtake traffic on the right and never the left. I sometimes use the cycle lanes briefly if it's clear and I want to let traffic past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Not a near miss, more a 'hit'. Me, this morning, Donnybrook.

Sorry for your troubles p15574.

I would guess from his reaction and complete lack of empathy that he's part of the pond-life that inhabit the comment section of the journal cycling articles. He will probably be contributing on the next one about the "kamikaze road rat" that ran straight into him, of course omitting any detail that would reveal he caused it.

Make sure you get well checked out. I've learned myself from recent experience that the full extent of injuries can take a couple of days to become apparent after these crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Does this count as a near miss from this pr*ck

https://youtu.be/AOR7KIwYoZw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

jon1981 wrote: »
    Does this count as a near miss from this pr*ck

https://youtu.be/AOR7KIwYoZw

Jesus, that's close. Report that psychopath before he does kill someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement