Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Chiparus

jon1981 wrote: »
    Does this count as a near miss from this pr*ck

https://youtu.be/AOR7KIwYoZw

That was close, seriously go to the guards,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Chiparus wrote: »
    That was close, seriously go to the guards,

:):):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100% agree, to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I cycle that way daily and this is common, I’d say it’s the same bus and driver. The bus eireann drivers seem to have a real attitude when it comes to cyclists. Report this to that guards and bus eireann as well.

Also, keep center and take that lane as well. I do this all the time. The angry beeps from taxis and some motorists just blend into the background.

Same here, I take the lane from the pedestrian crossing in Donnybrook, there isn't room for an overtake unless the other lane is clear so no point encouraging it. It's also an S bend so it would be dangerous for a car to be going any faster than a bike, no matter their opinion on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jon1981 wrote: »
    Does this count as a near miss from this pr*ck

https://youtu.be/AOR7KIwYoZw

Is that a Daybreak truck just before? You should send the video to them to let them know how they contributed to the near miss.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is that a Daybreak truck just before? You should send the video to them to let them know how they contributed to the near miss.
    They didn't really. The path comes out closing the lane just in front of the truck.

They didn't really. The path comes out closing the lane just in front of the truck.

Yep, the bike is in the bike / bus lane, where the truck is, is a bus stop that is essentially off road, whether it was there or not would not have affected the cyclists position

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I cycle that way daily and this is common, I’d say it’s the same bus and driver. The bus eireann drivers seem to have a real attitude when it comes to cyclists. Report this to that guards and bus eireann as well.

Also, keep center and take that lane as well. I do this all the time. The angry beeps from taxis and some motorists just blend into the background.

I have to cycle that way often too, and it is common - I agree.
    Taking the lane is safer but still very dangerous, as aggressive drivers (including bus drivers) tailgate often as they don't want to miss the green.
    At that particular stretch there is also a kind of "grand prix start" behaviour; as the road is widening after the light, everyone is compulsively increasing speed like they were followed by a T-rex.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Yep, the bike is in the bike / bus lane, where the truck is, is a bus stop that is essentially off road, whether it was there or not would not have affected the cyclists position

I wrote a post few months ago about that stretch: I was taking the lane to avoid similar situations (as suggested already), and a taxi driver took me over at speed from the left using that bus/cycling lane. Sometimes there is no limit to stupidity.

• Advertisement

queldy wrote: »
    I wrote a post few months ago about that stretch: I was taking the lane to avoid similar situations (as suggested already), and a taxi driver took me over at speed from the left using that bus/cycling lane. Sometimes there is no limit to stupidity.

You can't fix stupidity, legally you can't even beat it out of people anymore :eek: Coming across the M50 bridge at Tallaght last Thursday, car came up the left lane (it is a 3 lane entrance onto the signal controlled roundabout), I was in the middle one for going straight through, the left one clearly sign posted for left only, as well as a solid white line, lest you forget and think it is a regular single lane roundabout ?!? Came up not shy of 80kmph as we got the green and then cut across in front of me and a line of traffic moving off. Forgetting the stupidity of the manoeuvre in regards not following clear directions, only a few at the top of the queue would have seen if other traffic had cleared or not, the speed he was doing and hitting the junction as it turned green, he could have easily wiped out anyone crossing to the M50 southbound on amber. I suspect its a daily ritual to beat the 10 cars which would delay him by a minute as he turned off into a housing estate not much further down the N81.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Pinch Flat wrote: »

+1, cycle that way home each evening in rush hour and the problem seems to be with Bus Eireann drivers and cyclists. Not sure if same bus but similar on Wed evening beeped a female cyclist in the exact same spot as that dangerous overtake all to stop at the lights. She had a go at the driver at the lights also fair play to her but a less experienced cyclists wouldn't be seen on the roads again with the intimidation.

Two cars in a row minutes apart forced our cycling group off the road in rural co Meath this morning. Both coming from the front. Despite us singling up. First one - Audi Q7. Second one - bmw x5. Single carriage rural road, neither of them slowed down. Obviously pretty important journeys to worry about a few pesky cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

:confused: I'd be interested to know how you came to that conclusion? The Daybreak truck is in a bus stop area.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I'd be the first to say I feel I have a relatively east time in Wicklow compared to some here but for whatever reason they all appeared on Friday.

The first was on the road from Ashford to Annamoe. I have NEVER had an issue on this road which is why I have left the video running to show the two overtakes behind the first beaut as they are more typical of the area. Unfortunately the Fly6 was malfunctioning on the day so I don't have rear footage but as far as I can see either the first car sped up to intimidate or overtook the others and then pulled in on top of me. And I don't know which is worse. Either was their speed caused me to wobble. The road had been clear when I entered it just before:

Again, approaching Glenealy, another spot I've never had issues with (but I've heard from those who have). The Vectra in question had the passenger window down. Perosnally, I felt it was to listen to my reaction as he immeidately looked over to the left after overtaking:

Then this gem just north of Ashford:

(Don't know why the Fly12 becomes distorted when edited - any suggestions as to how to avoid this?)

Take the lane!!!!! all day every day in those. Single white you move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not only safer but less punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Ordinarily I'd agree 100% but, as I'd never had issues in any of those locations, I suppose complacency set in really.

Ordinarily I'd agree 100% but, as I'd never had issues in any of those locations, I suppose complacency set in really.

I get ya totally but for that 1 arsehole in 3 in those you need to protect yourself from you are too far left for my comfort in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Normally, and nearly always the best advice (also for a lot of small junctions), but there on occasion some not sane motorists - letting on their way instead of having them behind me seems better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I noticed this morning on my commute that international visitors are now coming prepared!

Noodles and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Chiparus wrote: »
    I noticed this morning on my commute that international visitors are now coming prepared!

Noodles and all!

I saw those two in Mayo a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭VW 1

Saw a cyclist down in the middle of the road on Bride Road, about 5 foot away from his bike in the recovery position and ten foot in front of a jeep. There was 7/8 people attending to him so was no point in stopping but he was very much lying still. Hopefully nothing more than precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

VW 1 wrote: »
    Saw a cyclist down in the middle of the road on Bride Road, about 5 foot away from his bike in the recovery position and ten foot in front of a jeep. There was 7/8 people attending to him so was no point in stopping but he was very much lying still. Hopefully nothing more than precaution.
    Where is Bride Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Where is Bride Road?
    I presume the one in Dublin 8 between Christchurch and St Patrick's Cathedrals? Google Maps doesn't seem to know of any other. If so it's a relatively short one way street. I wonder what happened? Hope the cyclist was ok.

https://goo.gl/maps/QosYHE6WByQSYBty5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah thats the one, I can't understand what might have happened or speculate, he and his bike were in the middle of the road with no obvious culprit for a collision other than the stopped jeep 10 or so feet behind. Unless they hit him directly from behind, but that didnt seem likely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 mistermaster

Used to live around that area myself. Hope the cyclist is okay.

Can I go back to the videos from Wicklow? I think the first one shows how it would be good to have a provision in law to allow motorists to overtake cyclists on a continuous white line where it’s safe to do so, like they have in Australia.

The first driver was going too fast anyway but he/she only crossed over a little bit maybe because he/she was thinking “I’m not supposed to cross the white line at all, so I’ll only go over a little bit”. But the other two drivers then did the “right” thing by going all the way across, even though it’s actually illegal to do that.

Maybe the first driver here wouldn’t have done anything differently anyway, but I do think this is something that affects what other drivers do sometimes, and that they’d probably pull out further to overtake if they were legally allowed to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

like they have in Australia.
    words to strike fear into a cyclist's heart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 mistermaster

words to strike fear into a cyclist's heart.

Lol. Maybe so. Seems cyclists there have to put up a with a lot of stuff that’s a lot worse than what we have here. But still, I do think that the rule that “it’s okay to cross a continuous white line to pass a cyclist, if it’s safe to do so” is a good one.

• Advertisement

yeah wouldn't normally look at Australia as a bastion of common sense when it comes to cycling, but crossing on a continuous white line may be one solution. Most motorists do it any way - it's just that they sometimes chose the most dangerous part of the road to do it. We had a fool overtake our group into a completely blind corner on Sunday, the car coming the other way had to stop dead to allow him continue, and he almost side swiped our top 2 riders when trying to get back in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement