Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've done it at least twice. once was when i was cycling home from school nearly 30 years ago, and i blame my mate aidan for distracting me that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

A Garda walked out in front of me earlier in the week. Thankfully I didn't hit him but it was bloody close. He was busy chatting to his Garda pal and wasn't watching the road. I let out a roar along the lines of '****ing asshole', probably not the best thing for me to have done. Would have been interesting if I had hit him though.
    Was only reading this morning about a case in the UK between a pedestrian who stepped onto the road while looking at her phone and a cyclist.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/payout-yoga-teacher-hit-cyclist-crossed-road-looking-phone-427651

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

In the grand scheme of things it wasn't a big deal, it's the third time it's happened.
    I was with my dad on one of the occasions and the cyclist got fairly abusive at us for being stationary on the road, we must of ruined his time or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

ganmo wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things it wasn't a big deal, it's the third time it's happened.
    I was with my dad on one of the occasions and the cyclist got fairly abusive at us for being stationary on the road, we must of ruined his time or something

Strange that he nearly hit the front of the car.

I've run into our own car in the drive way, left it empty and partner had come home in the mean time and parked up. I swung in and stared messing with the computer and bang :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

In the morning I was walking in Lincoln Lane, I hear a lorry coming at high speed from the distillery and entering the road in the opposite direction, approaching the quays.
    I tried to gesture to him he was wrong way, but he couldn't give a s... about it.
    As soon as he enters the Arran Quay (on the river), a cyclist had to avoid the lorry and crashed badly into a light pole.
    I made sure he was ok and run to check regulation plate, which I hope I checked well as it was far away already. I shared it with the cyclist, I hope he will proceed on reporting.

I am terrified how many "professional" drivers are around.

Sad thing, I was with my girlfriend which is still shocked by the incident. It is 6 months she does not touch the bike anymore, as she does not feel safe to cycle in the city (having used it for a few years, she slowly gave up on cycling in Dublin).

Saddest thing, I am glad she does not cycle in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Got caught in the downpour coming out of Dublin this morning. Drumcondra road was a sh*tshow, half flooded, with drains fountaining up like they were burst water mains. Cycling up through it felt like a salmon swimming upriver.

Later on, a delightful individual on the swords road decided I wasn't quite wet enough and gunned it across from the outer lane to the inner lane and nearly into the hard shoulder to drive through the heavily flooded area right beside me. No other reason to do what he did other than to being a massive cock. Congratulations mate, you're a f**kng failure of a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

A Garda walked out in front of me earlier in the week. Thankfully I didn't hit him but it was bloody close. He was busy chatting to his Garda pal and wasn't watching the road. I let out a roar along the lines of '****ing asshole', probably not the best thing for me to have done. Would have been interesting if I had hit him though.

Had a garda in a squad car turn right last week as I was going through the junction.....I fu##king roared at her......something along the lines "what the fu#&k are you doing, you're a fu#@king guard who should know better".

She and her bewildered look.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Not sure it's 100% right for this thread, but I'm sure many know the fantastic cycling experience that is the road between Portmarnock and Baldoyle.

Stay safe out there

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1143251884259643392?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They did some job cleaning that up. I passed it this evening and you wouldn't know there'd been as serious a crash. Explains the Oil splil signs too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"the driver a male (19 years old) and a female (age unknown) were taken to Beaumont Hospital"

Why the fvck has a 19yo boy racer got an A4/TT/Whatever? Share the road eh, share the feckin road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Duckjob wrote: »
    Got caught in the downpour coming out of Dublin this morning. Drumcondra road was a sh*tshow, half flooded, with drains fountaining up like they were burst water mains. Cycling up through it felt like a salmon swimming upriver...

Username checks out.

(Got caught in the same shower, but didn’t meet any Cocks, sorry for your trouble).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E wrote: »
    "the driver a male (19 years old) and a female (age unknown) were taken to Beaumont Hospital"

Why the fvck has a 19yo boy racer got an A4/TT/Whatever? Share the road eh, share the feckin road.
    dad is gonna be well pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

dad is gonna be well pissed off.

Daddy will probably buy him a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ED E wrote: »

I could be wrong but it looks like a 10yr old Audi A4, can get them for around €4,000, less than the cost of a Dura Ace CF bike..

probably would cost the same to insure if the 19yo was the primary driver on the policy.

probably would cost the same to insure if the 19yo was the primary driver on the policy.

I checked earlier, it came in at about €3200 on 123.ie assuming a few things like car age of ten years, engine size/type and no claims etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but it looks like a 10yr old Audi A4, can get them for around €4,000, less than the cost of a Dura Ace CF bike..

It's an A3, looks like 2013 or so on. Most likely a 1.6 diesel and costs 10 grand or there abouts. Not a sports car in any way, and not unobtainable if you have almost any job too. Just a nice looking normal car. Who knows what happened really, I've come across lots of weird things on that road, horses roaming free, cows, dogs etc anything could have happened, glad nothing too serious came of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: I really don't think the type of car, how much it cost, cost of insurance etc. has any relevance to the thread, you can have good and bad drivers in Audis, no matter how much we would like to pigeon hole them into one of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r50a9j2rYZE&feature=youtu.be

Close pass , the mirror was literally inches from my shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Chiparus wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r50a9j2rYZE&feature=youtu.be

Close pass , the mirror was literally inches from my shoulder.

You should report that to Gardai.

It's a Nissan Interstsr 05 CW 1164 - very distinctive graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

micar wrote: »
    You should report that to Gardai.

It's a Nissan Interstsr 05 CW 1164 - very distinctive graphics

Can you pick up the company name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

Not a near miss as thankfully no one coming the other way but I had 3 cars in a row overtake me as we approached and went around this bend this morning. As you can see it's a very minor road, just wide enough for 2 cars to pass. All 3 cars were on the other side of the road going around the bend. It's made worse because it is a steep hill and if there was a lad coming down hill on a bike from the other direction he would have been creamed.

It's nuts.

I usually stick my arm out approaching this bend but this morning I was a bit worried I might lose it.

483624.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Did anyone notice the graffiti on the cycle lane on Alfie Byrne road this morning? Couldn't really read it as I was going the other way, but saw a couple of the painted on bikes were crossed out, with "No Bikes" scrawled underneath. Lovely! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

Update on some pics I posted a few weeks baxk of a close pass by a bus on the N4, I contacted the company in question and they after a little encouragement they were engaging and open. They spoke with the driver and showed him the pass from my perspective so hopefully he's gotten something from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the graffiti on the cycle lane on Alfie Byrne road this morning? Couldn't really read it as I was going the other way, but saw a couple of the painted on bikes were crossed out, with "No Bikes" scrawled underneath. Lovely! :rolleyes:

The No Bikes paint was a piss take, here's a selection from a familiar name
    https://twitter.com/SpucklerMr/status/1143790678515884033

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What's the meaning behind "The Good Room"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What's the meaning behind "The Good Room"?

Your traditional granny had the 'good room', or parlour to be posh, to show off to their visitors. Good Room in this context refers to DCC rolling out the good paint or the few good pieces of cycling infrastructure to the visitors coming for Velo City.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hurrache wrote: »
    Your traditional granny had the 'good room', or parlour to be posh, to show off to their visitors. Good Room in this context refers to DCC rolling out the good paint or the few good pieces of cycling infrastructure to the visitors coming for Velo City.

Which ironically gave rise to some of the worst infrastructure I have ever seen, the bike path that is dissected by staggered kerbing was a masterpiece in explaining why road engineers should not be allowed drink on the job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement