Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE want to double TV licence fee

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Next the will want double the Dog licence from140 euros to 280euros ? So RTE pay Ryan Tubridy Salary of 495000 euros a year our 9500 euros a week our 38000 euros a Month. no man should be payed that kind of Salary for having the same Cheesy people on his show week after week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Yes indeed the people who stood by child rapists of the cloth, were inveterate tax dodgers, elected Charlie Haughey and the like. We owe them so much.

The vast majority of them would have been PAYE workers who had no control over their taxes other than it being taken out of their wages each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Would be nice, but an equal setup to a TV like that is much more expensive, my 40" 4k Tv was 299 Monitor + sound would be much much more.

Can I ask what TV you've got that only cost 299? We've a Sony Bravia from 2007 or 08 I'm not certain and I think at the time they were 2500+

My dad is a bit of a snob when it comes to TVs like "Oh that's not as good as a Sony/Panasonic" and I'm just curious as to what you've got and how you'd rate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We're all a bit **** really (see current malaises) but free stuff for those who simply do not need it does rile me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Haha they can fcuk right off. Havent paid a tv license in 10 yrs, havent had a tv in 8. No intention of funding these parasites through any other means either, an internet tax - jesus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Wouldn't it making you ****ing sick, poor cash strapped RTÉ crying to the government. Do they honestly think the people of Ireland only watch RTÉ and nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

This is actually one protest against charges that is worthy of the country getting behind. At least water charges are justifiable.

RTE no longer has justification to exist as a Semi State Body.

While I think Pat Kenny is decent, he has failed during his tv stints at TV3 and UTV. His radio show ratings (no criticism of his performance, I like Pat) is probably not what Newstalk hoped for. He has proven that these so called stars in RTE can be let go and replaced. Only one that has proven that he was irreplaceable was Gerry Ryan.

Tubridy, O'Callaghan, sorry lads, ye are replaceable and ye WILL struggle to get a high ranking presenting job in England. (O'Callaghan won't really have to worry , she would get some work presenting if she was bothered, and she is involved in productions)

I for one will not be paying

They can't even offer their catch up services in HD and still they want to be paid for the tripe they serve up. Saw an article in the mail yesterday regarding how many repeats they showed over a recent 2 week period. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Lt Dan wrote: »
    This is actually one protest against charges that is worthy of the country getting behind. At least water charges are justifiable.

Yes, pretty much what I thought when I read this:
    He has also ruled out the imposition of a so-called 'Broadcasting Charge' which would result in every household in the country receiving a bill regardless of whether they access public service broadcasting. This approach is favoured by Fianna Fáil.

So nowadays Fianna Fail thinks it is scandalous to charge someone 160 euros for the water they use everyday (and only if they use it) and to fund critical infrastructure for the country, but they have no issue saying that anyone should be charged the exact same 160 euros to fund RTE (objectively a much less vital resource) regardless of whether they watch it or not.

Now regardless of what people think of water charges and what the funding model should be for our water infrastructure, I think most of us will see the horrendous political hypocrisy and demagogy there.

• Advertisement

Note the title of the article is a bit misleading when they say iPad users will have to pay. The actual content clearly specifies it is for devices with a screen size above 11 inches. Since only a tiny minority of iPads (and other tablets) sold are above that number, most iPad users wouldn't be included in that proposal.

But anyway yeah fairly stupid stuff. It's just a proposal though so hopefully they don't manage to get it through (the broadcasting charge which was not all that different seems like it has been buried).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

time to get projectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

seeing loads of stuff on Facebook and a load of people in the office giving out sh!te about RTE , and the proposed increase in the licence fee and widening the scope in terms of applying it not just for TV's but ipads, laptops games systems etc.

Personally i think it should be made a subscription service and i would have no issue at all losing it , i don't watch anything on RTE 1 or 2 99% of their programming is either repeats of american shows available earlier on other sky channels , RTE news is shockingly poor and incredibly bias and i don't even own a Radio so can comfortably say i never tune in.

Why are people being asked to pay for a service they don't want , for me this is different to water and i never protested water because my view was i used the service and the charge was justified giving the need to improve the supply and maintain the network, honestly i think i would protest this because i already pay for TV (Sky) and Netflix , I don't watch or listen to RTE so why should i be forced to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

No.

Shut it down.

time to get projectors.

You actually raise a very good point! :-)

Technically is projector an "electronic devices with screen sizes above 11 inches"? If you look at it in isolation probably not but associated to a wall you project the image into you could also ague it is.

Keep it quite though ... lets not mention potential loopholes before it is too late for them to amend proposals and close them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

For Tubridy? Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Why are people being asked to pay for a service they don't want

Because RTÉ would have folded long ago if their services were subscription based, and poor auld Tubs would be on less than 400k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who have never (or very rarely) watch GAA or the Irish Ruby/soccer team - Irish election debates/coverage/results. Coverage of major events such as the Rescue 116 tragedy, Dublin gang warfare, Paddy's day coverage, 1916 commemorations, industrial disputes/strikes that effect them etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who have never (or very rarely) watch GAA or the Irish Ruby/soccer team - Irish election debates/coverage/results. Coverage of major events such as the Rescue 116 tragedy, Dublin gang warfare, Paddy's day coverage, 1916 commemorations, industrial disputes/strikes that effect them etc etc
    I could live without all that should ****ee and caught the football elsewhere :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm generally supportive of the concept of a publicly-funded national broadcaster. RTE actually do a lot of decent stuff IMO. We should be careful what we wish for when it comes to 'free' news.

That said, it being an Irish public service, the scale, as ever, is way off-beam with the tax payer being expected to bankroll exorbitant costs and mismangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Really what you want is no coverage of anything then. What you have just summarized as the bias coverage for Clinton for example is pretty much identical to pretty much every other news outlet and continues to be so. Try sitting down watching CNNs coverage of Trumps presidency. It's disgraceful. And the same with the others including Fox on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The vast majority of that is available online (legally, and not on RTE - I prefer to ready my news than watch it personally), and the British coverage of rugby is typically a lot better.

Not really a GAA fan and if the choice were no Irish international football, or the 3-4 games a year I do get to watch at €55 each I know which I would opt for. But can't you get GAA and most/all Irish internationals on Sky Go/Mobile also on top of piles and piles of extra sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

What about those of us with season tickets for the GAA , Football and Rugby and who have no interest is the latest scumbag to be killed by another scumbag in the city center , The BBC coverage of the 6 nations is far better than RTE's.

I have moral objection to the fact our state broadcaster still plays the angelus and has catholic mass on a Sunday. like i suggested make it subscription and give people a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

RTE is simply not good enough. It's outdated and wants to hang on to getting its money via licence fee, no matter the quality or content of it's output. It is effectively a monopoly. Successive Governments keep it as it is, to use as a Party Political broadcast tool and to keep the Irishness of the population intact.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who have never (or very rarely)

Surely there would be very few long term residents of Ireland who have never watched RTE programmes. But depending on how you define "very rarely" you could indeed get pretty high figures.

But as Permabear mentioned the problem is not how often individual people watch it. It is more is it achieving its purpose as a national public broadcaster in order to justify continuous funding? And currently to that question I would personally answer a straight no. Both because they are extremely biased in their coverage and their editorial staff not representative at all of the variety of opinions in Irish society, and because they do too much entertainment and not enough cultural/educational stuff. In short, they want to behave like a 100% commercial TV network while remaining public funded which doesn't work for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

This post had been deleted.

Really what you want is no coverage of anything then. What you have just summarized as the bias coverage for Clinton for example is pretty much identical to pretty much every other news outlet and continues to be so. Try sitting down watching CNNs coverage of Trumps presidency. It's disgraceful. And the same with the others including Fox on the other side.[/quote]
    The problem is too many people watch those news channel consistently day in day out when it is full of propaganda designed to brainwash you like RTE or BBC or ITV or CNN or Fox News.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Surely there would be very few long term residents of Ireland who have never watched RTE programmes. But depending on how you define "very rarely" you could indeed get pretty high figures.

But as Permabear mentioned the problem is not how often individual people watch it. It is more is it achieving its purpose as a national public broadcaster in order to justify continuous funding? And currently to that question I would personally answer a straight no. Both because they are extremely biased in their coverage and their editorial staff not representative at all of the variety of opinions in Irish society, and because they do too much entertainment and not enough cultural/educational stuff. In short, they want to behave like a 100% commercial TV network while remaining public funded which doesn't work for me.

Other then badly written poorly acted home made stuff Fair City being the prime example, that 1916 last year was woeful too basically anything they've done bar Love Hate.Biased news , poor talk TV ala the current incarnation of the Late Late and re runs of American made shows that are aivilble at better times on other Channels , like Blue Bloods they have literally nothing to offer.

Give people the choice, honestly i don't believe we need a national broadcaster , if the went bust do you think Sky, Setanta or Eir sport or whoever wouldn't pick up the GAA Coverage , The Irish Football and Rugby Games etc... be no loss at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Bob24 wrote: »

I don't see how anyone history of watching rte has any bearing.
    all that matters is did you watch in the last year and are you going to watch it in the next year.

most of the population watch at least a small bit of rte , but if it came down to either watch it and pay 160 or opt out and not watch it , I cant see that many watching it

Advertisement