Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE want to double TV licence fee

Options
  • 22-03-2017 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/its-incredible-value-for-money-rtes-new-director-general-thinks-licence-fee-should-be-doubled-35554991.html

So the director general who earns €250,000 a year which is paid by you and me through out tv licence fee thinks it should be doubled (to €320) a year as its 'terrific value for money' Well the silly old cow would say that wouldn't she but she's having a laugh if she thinks RTE is terrific value for money.

I watch the news at 6 or 9pm maybe 2 or 3 times a week and that's it, RTE have absolutely nothing else of interest to me so I certainly don't think its value for money, it think its a complete rip off considering the shíte they routinely dole out over the airwaves. `

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

They can f**k right off. RTE needs to be wound down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

They should turn it into a pay service. Then people can decide for themselves if it is terrific value, or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Here is an idea Madam Controller.

Get rid of the licence fee and make your tv channels only available if you buy a subscription based device/service. See how many people really want your 'value for money' offering.

And let RTE radio stand on its own two feet.

Edit: Knasher beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I never listen to the radio. I never watch RTE TV channels - save for the 6 Nations recently (which is now moving to TV3 anyway).

Not great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

So we can line that toffynosed prick tubridys pockets, or how we can continue on hearing how much Ray Darcy loves Jenny and his kid.

And we need to pay 320 for the pleasure.... Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

'terrific value for money'
    Chat shows with RTE hosts interviewing their RTE mates is not value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

And then?

What would you do with all the "saved" money?

Give it in grants to independent content producers perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

She crazy yo

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Brego888 wrote: »

And then?

What would you do with all the "saved" money?
    You mean all the 'not wasted' money ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

RTE can go and ask the back of my bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

At least Stalin and the lads tried to keep the cost of Pravda reasonable.

I wouldn't cry after RTE. Some good things over the years, but on balance - no tears would be shed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/its-incredible-value-for-money-rtes-new-director-general-thinks-licence-fee-should-be-doubled-35554991.html

So the director general who earns €250,000 a year which is paid by you and me through out tv licence fee thinks it should be doubled (to €320) a year as its 'terrific value for money' Well the silly old cow would say that wouldn't she but she's having a laugh if she thinks RTE is terrific value for money.

I watch the news at 6 or 9pm maybe 2 or 3 times a week and that's it, RTE have absolutely nothing else of interest to me so I certainly don't think its value for money, it think its a complete rip off considering the shíte they routinely dole out over the airwaves. `

Right everyone , a survey

1. Who still watches tv on a daily basis? Weekend?
    2. Who watches RTE on a daily basis? Weekend? Christmas?
    3. Who can say that the RTE radio Stations are their main radio stations (a lot I would imagine)
    4. Who uses their website and RTE Player? How many times a week?
    5. Who watched RTE's Olympic Coverage as their main source (I did in fairness, and Peter Collins was great)

Sports , which RTE TV and Radio DO a very good job on. But, if you were really stuck, there are several alternative ways that you can watch what they covered

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What happened the so called broadcasting charge??

I never listen to the radio. I never watch RTE TV channels - save for the 6 Nations recently (which is now moving to TV3 anyway).

So, what is the purpose of Ryle Nugent then if Rugby goes to TV3?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's a hard no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Sigh civil servants

Brego888 wrote: »

Burned to the ground!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Dear RTE,

Get bent.

Sincerely,

Everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Like I said I watch the news at 6/9pm a few times a week.

I cant think of a single program that I watch on a regular basis.

3. Who can say that the RTE radio Stations are their main radio stations (a lot I would imagine)

Nope, local and Today FM/Newstalk.

Never used it.

5. Who watched RTE's Olympic Coverage as their main source (I did in fairness, and Peter Collins was great)

Watched the Olympics on BBC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

But if we do not pay double or even triple the current fee the talented people in RTE will be poached by other broadcasters in the U.K. /sarc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

topper75 wrote: »
    At least Stalin and the lads tried to keep the cost of Pravda reasonable.

I wouldn't cry after RTE. Some good things over the years, but on balance - no tears would be shed.
    Not really many good things.
    They don't have a tradition of fearless investigative journalism; if they did we wouldn't have all these tribunals.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Lt Dan wrote: »

So, what is the purpose of Ryle Nugent ?

Fixed that for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Move all entertainment/soaps/sport to RTE2. Make it subscription only digital/streamed.
    Keep RTE1 for news, current affairs and the like.
    Cut half of the radio stations.
    Turn off half the masts and spend the money on broadband provision instead.
    Drop Saorsat.
    Sack the top 10 highest paid presenters.
    Cut the licence fee in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RTE over pay their main presenters, they have revenue from adverts, revenue from sponsors, revenue from the TV license.
    They provide misery on light entertainment programs, and want to charge us more for trying to depress us on Friday and Saturday nights.

I don't think people will stand for such an obscene increase in the license fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Sports , which RTE TV and Radio DO a very good job on. But, if you were really stuck, there are several alternative ways that you can watch what they covered
    2 The news most days
    3 Morning Ireland
    4 My parents do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Manach wrote: »
    But if we do not pay double or even triple the current fee the talented people in RTE will be poached by other broadcasters in the U.K. /sarc.

Most if the cast of fair city would be off to Hollywood in the morning. It would be a national disaster but would rejuvenate the US movie and television business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

That RTE player on android is a load of doggy doo doo - nothing but adverts for what feels like an age then more adverts. I uninstalled it cos I never got to watch anything.

Same online - adverts every 20 seconds..

As for the RTE fat cats, why oh why do we need to pay the likes of Tubridy and d'arcy? They are full of their own self importance and cringeworthy to watch.

Can't stand the toy show either. Its all about tubs not the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

1. I watch TV daily, but mostly non-live TV
    2. Nope. Occasionally might watch the news but that's it, although even at that I generally get my news elsewhere
    3. Nope. Generally Newstalk or MP3s in the car
    4. Nope
    5. Nope. Occasionally might watch a football match but as you say they're also generally on other stations anyway.

Could quite happily live without RTE completely to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They can start making more of their own output rather than using taxpayers money to outbid the likes of TV3 and TG4 for foreign shows (thus driving up the costs for all involved), and/or get into serious discussions about a more even distribution of taxpayers money among other stations than just RTE... Then maybe we can talk.

Still, it's likely just holding off the inevitable as alternatives such as netflix etc (both legal and otherwise) begin to send them to the wall. In that instance I can see the British population being happy to continue to pay for the service the BBC provides, and/or for them to be able to compete in such a market due to the depth and quality of their productions (not just costly production values, but actual quality of content which many of the TG4 documentaries for example prove so not need to cost an arm and a leg)... Can the same be said for RTE? Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah lads someone needs to keep Ray D'Arcy in the porridge, and socks and sandals lifestyle he has become accustomed.

Tighten the belts, dig deep and pay up.

Advertisement