Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE want to double TV licence fee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Why do some people have such a hard time believing others don't watch RTE at all.

Last thing I watched on RTE was Perriers Bounty four or five years ago.
    I don't watch sports or Love/Hate or any of the other ****e they churn out on a regular basis.

Between Youtube, Netflix etc why would I bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Why do some people have such a hard time believing others don't watch RTE at all.

Last thing I watched on RTE was Perriers Bounty four or five years ago.
    I don't watch sports or Love/Hate or any of the other ****e they churn out on a regular basis.

Between Youtube, Netflix etc why would I bother?

Because, although it may be hard to believe, there are still some people on this rock who only have RTE,TV3 &TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Big gripe - RTE have produced the worst, and I mean the WORST game shows ever seen on TV. Who does be running these things? They are all down to luck. What not bring in some simple general knowledge questions so people who aren't from the same town as the contestants might actually tune in. Who remembers 'The Million Euro Challenge'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Donal55 wrote: »
    Because, although it may be hard to believe, there are still some people on this rock who only have RTE,TV3 &TG4.
    More power to them but surely they can't be completely ignorant of what else there is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I watch the news on RTE and TV3, very little else - free sat via dish and streaming via the lap top using Chrome forms the bulk of my TV viewing. Youtube have stacks of films, documentaries etc. to watch and that's just for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

There is a rumour that if all the people who dodge paying the t.v. license were caught,Gay Byrne could retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Are they gonna finally get rid of the Angelus and all then?

wish they would - this irritating jingle has been going on long enough - must be the oldest programme in the whole world:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Johngoose wrote: »
    Check out how money from t.v. Licenses is being spent.

Already knew this but thx anyway for the link.

Instead of jacking up the fee, they should implement proper enforcement. In the UK, every TV sale is reported to the TV Licensing body, who then send you a bill for your TV licence annually. Outlets are obliged to get the customer to fill out a form with their name/address. If you don't pay, licence enforcers have proper powers to prosecute evaders.

He'll, they could even reduce the fee by, say, 25% if they had proper enforcement here. Lower rates might also encourage people to pay because it would be more affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

fxotoole wrote: »
    Already knew this but thx anyway for the link.

Instead of jacking up the fee, they should implement proper enforcement. In the UK, every TV sale is reported to the TV Licensing body, who then send you a bill for your TV licence annually. Outlets are obliged to get the customer to fill out a form with their name/address. If you don't pay, licence enforcers have proper powers to prosecute evaders.

He'll, they could even reduce the fee by, say, 25% if they had proper enforcement here. Lower rates might also encourage people to pay because it would be more affordable.

But why should i be forced to pay €160 for a service i dont use?
    I already paid 23% vat when i bought that thing.
    I know i also pay motor tax on something i paid vat already but i do get to use roads for that.
    There is absolutely nothing that €160 pays for that i use. Not that i can think of anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

inforfun wrote: »
    But why should i be forced to pay €160 for a service i dont use?
    I already paid 23% vat when i bought that thing.
    I know i also pay motor tax on something i paid vat already but i do get to use roads for that.
    There is absolutely nothing that €160 pays for that i use. Not that i can think of anyway.

That's the way state-provided services work. There are plenty of such services that I don't use, but am forced to contribute to through my taxes. Many of these fall into the category of entertainment. State funding of "the arts"? Croke Park?

There's certainly a valid debate as to whether all services should be "pay as you use", but it's not specific to RTE.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That is why a certain amount of my salary vanishes every month and why there is VAT.
    I am here 15 years now, not 1 day unemployed so i dont use "the dole" either. But i also dont have to pay an extra fee for a "license to dole" every year.

I pay for many services via my tax i dont use and likely never use either but if push comes to shove and i do need them i cant do without them.
    I can do very well without RTE i know from experience.
    It is ridiculous that some twat on tv makes €500000 a year in a country this small.
    But why not try to squeeze another €160 out of the few people who do actually still take care of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Brian Dobson earns €195,000 for reading the news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I don't pay it anyway. Double €0 is still €0. No change for me.:)

Ok so now we have gotten to the crux of the matter.

Since time immemorial the threat of being caught without a TV Licence was emphasised whether it be "the TV detector van" or that moronic "...better way to blow €1000 than..."
    there is a culture of evasion in this context.

The 265,000+ tv consumers who won't pay for a paltry €3.075 a week (19% of Television owners) are directly responsible for this situation.
    it's not the point. Imagine evetilmr paid up, there would be even more obscene waste and ott pay. Actually the less people that pay, the better ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

animaal wrote: »
    That's the way state-provided services work. There are plenty of such services that I don't use, but am forced to contribute to through my taxes. Many of these fall into the category of entertainment. State funding of "the arts"? Croke Park?

There's certainly a valid debate as to whether all services should be "pay as you use", but it's not specific to RTE.

Do you pay an additional charge annually for Croke Park or other arts that you don't use?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

animaal wrote: »

I mostly agree with the above, but I would add that there should be a clear mission statement for those services and they should only be funded if they achieve that goal. In the case of Croke Park and even though I have been there very rarely, I can see what is being delivered and what value it brings to Ireland.
    When I look at RTE however, it doesn't meet what I think should be the mission statement of a public broadcaster. To me it should combine cultural and educational content with a wide range of political opinions within its journalist so that it doesn't only give one point of view and represents Irish society as a whole. And I see it as failing on both aspects as it is very much entertainment based as most private channels would be, and there is very little variety of opinion in their editorial line.

This is why I think there is a valid point in questioning the legitimacy of the TV licence. And even when you listen to RTE's director who describes it as "value for money" compared to other channels there is clearly no sense that it is a public service and it is rather seen by its staff as an independent subscription based network competing with other ones (except that at the same time the big lie is that they know the "value for money" will never really be tested because as opposed to a true private subscription based channel people can't vote with their feet as they don't have a choice and have to keeping paying that money).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Brian Dobson earns €195,000 for reading the news

+1

Planet RTE in a nutshell.

Taoiseach salary - €183,350
    Reading from a Teleprompter - salary - €195,000

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

kidneyfan wrote: »
    In Japan the license fee is extracted from your bank account once a year and there is no appeal against it.

No it isn't. I don't know where you heard that but it's wrong.

Yes, you can voluntarily set up a payment through your bank, but it is not mandatory. Otherwise, NHK (the public broadcaster) will send houses notification and you pay at the post office or conveneince stores or similar places.

However, it used to be the case that there was no punishment of any kind for failing/refusing to pay. Not sure about now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

The kernel of the problem in RTE is they have too much content to produce to keep 3 TV stations and 4 radio stations fed so to speak.

At the bottom of this post is a list of journalists ( 76 of them! ) that are camera-facing that I compiled from Wikipedia etc. I reckon these people if all on €80,000 plus Employers PRSI then they cost RTE €6.7 million, out of income of €327 million.

''Top'' talent in the station cost €2.6 million in 2014 according to this

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/revealed-top-10-highest-earning-rte-presenters-tubridy-earns-250k-less-per-year-than-in-2012-34542421.html

I accept there is possible double counting, however there are many presenters like Donal Skehan who dont feature on either list.

Heres another article ( from 2013 )with some details on how much the management is paid in RTE with 80 people sharing €10 million - average earnings of €125,000

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-pays-80-staff-10m-on-top-of-3m-for-star-broadcasters-29166095.html

The average salary ( for employees ) was €63,000 in 2011, I'm not sure if this figure has gone up or down.

All this is like a fairy story for the average worker who is likely to be on half of these salaries.

Now they are selling part of their assets - land - so that they can continue to pay themselves these salaries instead of restructuring, cutting back on all this output they need to produce, by closing one TV station and one radio station.

Greg Allen
    Phillip Boucher Hayes
    Fergal Bowers
    Phillip Bromwell
    Des Cahill
    Anne Cassin
    Tony Connelly
    Dyane Connoe
    Richard Crowley
    Paul Cunningham
    David Davin Power
    Bryan Dobson
    Richard Dowling
    Brian Dowling
    Richard Downes
    Eileen Dunne
    Kate Egan
    John Finnerty
    Martina Fitzgerald
    Helen Fletcher
    Sharon Gaffney
    Samantha Libreiri Gaffney
    Tommie Gorman
    Cathy Halloran
    Katie Hannon
    Geraldine Harney
    Eamon Horan
    Conor hunt
    Jacqui Hurley
    Sandra Hurley
    Sinead Hussey
    Fergal Keane
    Ray Kennedy
    Aine Lawlor
    George Lee
    Michael Lehane
    Joe Little
    Aengus MacGrianna
    Joe MacRaollaigh
    Eileen Magnier
    Teresa Mannion
    Justin McCarthy
    Cathal McCoille
    David McCullagh
    Pat McGrath
    Helen McInerney
    Clare McNamara
    Ingrid Miley
    Fiona Mitchell
    Sinead Morris
    Ciaran Mulooly
    David Murphy
    John Murray
    Evanne NiChuillin
    Sharon NoBheolain
    Brian O'Connell
    Orla O'Donnell
    Shane O'Donoghue
    Una O'Hagan
    Emma O'Kelly
    Sean O'Rourke
    Jennie O'Sullivan
    Colman O'Sullivan
    Catriona Perry
    Paul Reynolds
    Paschal Sheehy
    Joe Stack
    Damien Tiernan
    Sharon Tobin
    Sharon Tobin
    Vivienne Traynor
    Justin Treacy
    Clodagh Walsh
    Eileen Whelan
    Mary Wilson
    Brendan Wright

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why don't they switch off the TV and radio stations at midnight like they used to do.

Start them up again in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

It's such a joke, I have NEVER ever watched RTE or TV on my television. My TV has a Wii U, a PS4 and a Nintendo Switch connected. It is used for that and Netflix and yet I'm paying 160 a year for owning a Television that also cost me money in addition to Netflix also costing me money. I don't understand how that is fair. Robbery is all it is

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jcon1913 wrote: »
    The kernel of the problem in RTE is they have too much content to produce to keep 3 TV stations and 4 radio stations fed so to speak.

At the bottom of this post is a list of journalists ( 76 of them! ) that are camera-facing that I compiled from Wikipedia etc. I reckon these people if all on €80,000 plus Employers PRSI then they cost RTE €6.7 million, out of income of €327 million.

''Top'' talent in the station cost €2.6 million in 2014 according to this

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/revealed-top-10-highest-earning-rte-presenters-tubridy-earns-250k-less-per-year-than-in-2012-34542421.html

I accept there is possible double counting, however there are many presenters like Donal Skehan who dont feature on either list.

Heres another article ( from 2013 )with some details on how much the management is paid in RTE with 80 people sharing €10 million - average earnings of €125,000

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-pays-80-staff-10m-on-top-of-3m-for-star-broadcasters-29166095.html

The average salary ( for employees ) was €63,000 in 2011, I'm not sure if this figure has gone up or down.

All this is like a fairy story for the average worker who is likely to be on half of these salaries.

Now they are selling part of their assets - land - so that they can continue to pay themselves these salaries instead of restructuring, cutting back on all this output they need to produce, by closing one TV station and one radio station.

Greg Allen
    Phillip Boucher Hayes
    Fergal Bowers
    Phillip Bromwell
    Des Cahill
    Anne Cassin
    Tony Connelly
    Dyane Connoe
    Richard Crowley
    Paul Cunningham
    David Davin Power
    Bryan Dobson
    Richard Dowling
    Brian Dowling
    Richard Downes
    Eileen Dunne
    Kate Egan
    John Finnerty
    Martina Fitzgerald
    Helen Fletcher
    Sharon Gaffney
    Samantha Libreiri Gaffney
    Tommie Gorman
    Cathy Halloran
    Katie Hannon
    Geraldine Harney
    Eamon Horan
    Conor hunt
    Jacqui Hurley
    Sandra Hurley
    Sinead Hussey
    Fergal Keane
    Ray Kennedy
    Aine Lawlor
    George Lee
    Michael Lehane
    Joe Little
    Aengus MacGrianna
    Joe MacRaollaigh
    Eileen Magnier
    Teresa Mannion
    Justin McCarthy
    Cathal McCoille
    David McCullagh
    Pat McGrath
    Helen McInerney
    Clare McNamara
    Ingrid Miley
    Fiona Mitchell
    Sinead Morris
    Ciaran Mulooly
    David Murphy
    John Murray
    Evanne NiChuillin
    Sharon NoBheolain
    Brian O'Connell
    Orla O'Donnell
    Shane O'Donoghue
    Una O'Hagan
    Emma O'Kelly
    Sean O'Rourke
    Jennie O'Sullivan
    Colman O'Sullivan
    Catriona Perry
    Paul Reynolds
    Paschal Sheehy
    Joe Stack
    Damien Tiernan
    Sharon Tobin
    Sharon Tobin
    Vivienne Traynor
    Justin Treacy
    Clodagh Walsh
    Eileen Whelan
    Mary Wilson
    Brendan Wright

don't see George Hamilton on that list, I once saw his salary listed at €200K. Or Miriam? Are they self-employed companies?

No weather presenters either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    It's such a joke, I have NEVER ever watched RTE or TV on my television. My TV has a Wii U, a PS4 and a Nintendo Switch connected. It is used for that and Netflix and yet I'm paying 160 a year for owning a Television that also cost me money in addition to Netflix also costing me money. I don't understand how that is fair. Robbery is all it is

I'll pay it if they can guarantee me I'll win that rigged Late Late competition at least once in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

sell the tv then

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    sell the tv then

So you agree paying 160 euro for owning a TV for consoles is justified? Even when you don't have or want access to broadcasting?

Nonsense in my opinion, could just as well have a sleeping tax for owning a bed but you don't have to pay it if you decide so sleep in a sleeping bag in your room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

luketitz wrote: »
    Bring back Kevo and Mary Kingston

Mary Kingston? :eek:

I can only assume that she was on yolks or e's when she was presenting. I sincerely hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

So you agree paying 160 euro for owning a TV for consoles is justified? Even when you don't have or want access to broadcasting?

Nonsense in my opinion, could just as well have a sleeping tax for owning a bed but you don't have to pay it if you decide so sleep in a sleeping bag in your room.

The problem is that given people's tendency to lie about their use in order to evade TV licences and the difficulty to check on whether they actually use their TV as a TV, you have to have a simple verifiable criteria to tell who needs to pay.

If you never use your TV to watch TV broadcasts, you might want to look into buying a tuner-less monitor (with the 160 euros per year it will save you in TV licences and the money you'll get from selling the old TV, it should pay for itself fairly quickly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

NIMAN wrote: »
    don't see George Hamilton on that list, I once saw his salary listed at €200K. Or Miriam? Are they self-employed companies?

No weather presenters either?

Probably just a contract with Met Eireann who provide the presenters?

Advertisement