Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE want to double TV licence fee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

LeeroyJ. wrote:
    So you agree paying 160 euro for owning a TV for consoles is justified? Even when you don't have or want access to broadcasting?

Not smarting but if that's all you need then just get rid, get a nice monitor and a surround system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

It's kind of hard to argue that Netflix or similar shouldn't be treated as the same as cable or sky. Both Sky Q and Virgin Horizon are also full and extremely comprehensive IPTV video on demand services too. Sky Q in particular really blurs the line between VOD/IPTV and traditional satellite broadcasting.

I think though RTE needs to be realistic about the limit above which people will stop seeing them as providing value for money.

A lot of people are willing to pay for Public Service Broadcasting, but €320 a year is absolutely taking the ...

How about if 10% of the VAT on Sky, Virgin, EirTv, Irish Netflix subs etc were simply ring fenced for a public service broadcasting fund and Saorview goes encrypted with an annual fee.

I think though it really needs to be for funding BROADCASTING and PROGRAMME MAKING and not just handed to RTE to lash on irrelevant spending that doesn't meet the core criteria of being Irish broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why don't they switch off the TV and radio stations at midnight like they used to do.

Start them up again in the morning.

I switched their channels off years ago and worked a treat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

bladespin wrote: »
    Not smarting but if that's all you need then just get rid, get a nice monitor and a surround system.

Would be nice, but an equal setup to a TV like that is much more expensive, my 40" 4k Tv was 299 Monitor + sound would be much much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    sell the tv then

What if, like me, you use the TV as a monitor for the computer?

I use it as a TV as well and pay licence, but if I weren't leaving the country soon enough I'd be looking to cancel since I watch all of 1-2 hours television a week and could easily go without as I have done before without much bother.

Its an antiquated system that owning a piece of hardware has a licence fee, might have made sense up until 10 of so years back but not anymore. They need to improve and innovate, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

don't see George Hamilton on that list, I once saw his salary listed at €200K. Or Miriam? Are they self-employed companies?

No weather presenters either?

Yeah the list I used was not by any means inclusive. anyhow the whole point is that the numbers of hours needed to be filled with so many stations drives the expenses, and they are cloud cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It's kind of hard to argue that Netflix or similar shouldn't be treated as the same as cable or sky. Both Sky Q and Virgin Horizon are also full and extremely comprehensive IPTV video on demand services too. Sky Q in particular really blurs the line between VOD/IPTV and traditional satellite broadcasting.

I think though RTE needs to be realistic about the limit above which people will stop seeing them as providing value for money.

A lot of people are willing to pay for Public Service Broadcasting, but €320 a year is absolutely taking the ...

How about if 10% of the VAT on Sky, Virgin, EirTv, Irish Netflix subs etc were simply ring fenced for a public service broadcasting fund and Saorview goes encrypted with an annual fee.

I think though it really needs to be for funding BROADCASTING and PROGRAMME MAKING and not just handed to RTE to lash on irrelevant spending that doesn't meet the core criteria of being Irish broadcasting.

I really wonder how many people actually see RTE as value for money? I don't mean the one's who are ok paying or begrudgingly pay the license fee because its the law and they don't want the hassle of dealing with going to court, but the people who 100% believe RTE provides good value for money, for the €160 they have to fork over each year?

If the money from the license even went equally to all the Irish TV and Radio stations, I honestly feel people wouldn't be so against paying. RTE should broadcast the news, weather, sport, primetime style shows and show's highlight past and present Irish culture and that's it, not wasting money on soaps and reality shows that can be watched on TV3, BBC and other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mollygreene

I own a television but do not have RTÉ, Saorview, Sky or UPC
    yet I still have to pay €160 every year to fund RTÉ's ''quality broadcasting service''

It's absolute nonsense, they can ask my arse for 320

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

I own a television but do not have RTÉ, Saorview, Sky or UPC
    yet I still have to pay €160 every year to fund RTÉ's ''quality broadcasting service''

It's absolute nonsense, they can ask my arse for 320
    RTE Want to invest this 320 euros wisely with Bosco Remake maybe Enda would make a great Bosco.:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They sent me a free -for- life TV licence with the Household Benefit package .

Have no TV and have never had one since before I came to Ireland and have no desire for one, ever.

So the increase?

Wish I could sell the licence ;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Graces7 wrote: »
    They sent me a free -for- life TV licence with the Household Benefit package .

Have no TV and have never had one since before I came to Ireland and have no desire for one, ever.

So the increase?

Wish I could sell the licence ;):rolleyes:

That's odd.
    You wish to sell something that you got for "free".
    Free as in other people are paying for you to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How many people in Ireland get 'free' TV licences?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This drives me mad ,we have to pay a licence to own a TV ,not for transmission ,not for usage but just to own one .
    I watch the toy show but that is it ,and tbh it would not be the end of the world if I missed it .
    We have no TV channels and don't miss them at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Moonbeam wrote: »
    This drives me mad ,we have to pay a licence to own a TV ,not for transmission ,not for usage but just to own one .
    I watch the toy show but that is it ,and tbh it would not be the end of the world if I missed it .
    We have no TV channels and don't miss them at all .

Why do you own a TV then?
    If you want to save €160, get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

This is the generation of pensions who have never had it so good - they will probably be the most comfortable OAP's in history, past and future yet they get all manner of freebies. There are quite a lot of them as well - 65 years and over 535,393 in 2011 according to the CSO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Mainly the older generation, who are apparently the ones who want RTE and would be most effected if it was axed. So everyone else has to pay for a service they don't need, so others can get it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Because Netflix, Amazon Prime and/or all other manner of streams aren't a thing. I pay for both Netflix and Prime and it's only marginally more expensive than the licence fee for much better array of quality programming compared to RTE's "offerings".

Cap pay for all positions in RTE at €150k a year, if we're forced to watch/listen to monkeys anyway we might as well pay "peanuts".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Mainly the older generation, who are apparently the ones who want RTE and would be most effected if it was axed. So everyone else has to pay for a service they don't need, so others can get it for free.

Even they would not pay for it, if it was by subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

Whats that Montrose site worth? Don't sell it. Build apartments in the most affluent part of the city. Rent them out. Use that income to fund their new cheap site in the Midlands. The town that gets rte gets a huge bump, the Midlands revival begins. Happy days, so easy.

But no. Those guys don't want the inconvenience of that. We will pay so they can have a great social life in d4.

Vote for emo. It's my only manifesto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Netflix and computer games :)

Not sure but if you get the Household Benefit package, ie some help with ESB and SoldiFuel, t comes automatically. Does not cost the govt or you anything as they print the things . It is more as a free pass..limited to this address else would be elsewhere.

This is the generation of pensions who have never had it so good - they will probably be the most comfortable OAP's in history, past and future yet they get all manner of freebies. There are quite a lot of them as well - 65 years and over 535,393 in 2011 according to the CSO.

Indeed some yes. Still takes great care and skill to manage many find. We get eg the standing eSB order and a small unit allowance, 25 a week for solid fuel in winter, Living Alone Allowance if that applies, bus pass.. not sure what the latest decision was re medical cards? Irish pension is much higher than the UK one I get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not sure but if you get the Household Benefit package, ie some help with ESB and SoldiFuel, t comes automatically. Does not cost the govt or you anything as they print the things . It is more as a free pass..limited to this address else would be elsewhere.

Sorry but your 'free' TV licence comes at a cost to the state. The government pays a grant to RTE, funded by the licence fee. If you get a free licence the portion of the usual fee is made up by the department for social protection; hence the taxpayer pays for you. Likewise the electricity allowance, free travel, rent subsidy etc.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Don't be so sure the older generation wants RTE either. I rarely watch it and prefer BBC and my freesat channels. I'd love a means of only paying for RTE if you watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

And what about it? They're the reason we have it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

And what about it? They're the reason we have it easy.

Yes indeed the people who stood by child rapists of the cloth, were inveterate tax dodgers, elected Charlie Haughey and the like. We owe them so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yes indeed the people who stood by child rapists of the cloth, were inveterate tax dodgers, elected Charlie Haughey and the like. We owe them so much.
    Like we owe people to continue living in houses they took out mortgages on that they can't afford to pay but still feel entitled to live in the house they're not paying for?

As someone who openly condemned the handling of paedophile priests, always paid my full taxes (at rates much higher than today) and never voted for CJ Haughty in my life, I'm tempted to belittle the current generation who partied through the Celtic Tiger and brought the country to it's knees, sat back when Garda corruption was rife, voted in successive governments who failed to live up to their promises, bailed out banks, saw the introduction of water charges, let the health service decline and homelessness grow to a staggering level. But I know you can't condemn a whole generation for what ensues in their lifetime nor blame the ordinary working man for the failings in society as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Lt Dan wrote: »
    luketitz wrote: »
    Bring back Kevo and Mary Kingston

Mary Kingston? :eek:

I can only assume that she was on yolks or e's when she was presenting. I sincerely hope so

Yeah Kevo sold then to her!

Advertisement