Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE want to double TV licence fee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I didn't see the comment, but who provided the figures that are being torn apart?

RTE disclosed them then broadsheet got someone to try and break them down and that's what the post is about, the breakdown is pretty flawed if you read the comment explaining how much they get wrong and is basically just full of uninformed assumptions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

VinLieger wrote: »
    RTE disclosed them then broadsheet got someone to try and break them down and that's what the post is about, the breakdown is pretty flawed if you read the comment explaining how much they get wrong and is basically just full of uninformed assumptions

Hopefully RTÉ journalists can learn a lesson or two from this.

Using out of context and misinterpreted raw figures is something I've seen them doing in the past to get a bit of social media buzz. Good for them ot be on the other side of the fence this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Manach wrote: »
    But if we do not pay double or even triple the current fee the talented people in RTE will be poached by other broadcasters in the U.K. /sarc.
    Oh no, they'd make quality programmes with the BBC that we could watch for free. Thank God RTÉ save us from that particular hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

We need to increase the licence fee pay those secret bonuses.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I am against the licence fee, I pay the licence fee reluctantly, but the absolute gall of them to suggest even any increase, where they are getting away with this behaviour. RTE should be a public broadcaster for public services and should not compete with private businesses . They should be an independant impartial news outlet, not the propaganda mouthpiece for the Govt of the day and a vehicle to pay extravagant salaries to faux celebrities, then Id consider its reasonable to pay the licence fee.
    I'll take my chances, drop the exorbitant pay, see if these fake celebrities leave and see if people care or even notice, there is ample numbers of suitable people who could take up these roles and do just as good for a good salary.
    Havent watched RTE in years (I cannot as Id need an aerial), I will definitley look into a flat screen monitor and happily pay over the odds for it as my tv viewing access doesn't require a tuner, can get impartial/other news sources online.
    I wonder how they will try promote or even hint at any increase whatsoever after the revelation of secret bonuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Happened upon the Miriam O'Callaghan show last night and the first item was about the Riverdance summer school at €400 to €650 per entry. Who is chairperson of the RTE board of directors?

Riverdance creator Moya Doherty.

In light of the debate of the proposed increase of the licence fee in recent days, it's pretty insulting for a shameless plug of Riverdance considering the chairperson has an obvious vested interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I'm from NI and the BBC license fee is an absolute scam and I assume it's the same with rte down there.

Lefty luvvie types being paid a fortune and too scared to compete in the real world as they know deep down few would pay for their crap.

Modern society has no place for a tv license fee. It's outdated, uncalled for and if they were really that confident of their product they would put it in the open market like others. Personally I will stick to Netflix. If the BBC were to vanish overnight I wouldn't give two fecks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I will not pay if they double the license. Overpaid and underworked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Make it a subscription service. If you watch it you pay for it. Its a scam being forced to pay for something some people dont use under the threat of legal action. Mass boycott of the fee is the only solution or else continue to pay annually. .Simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

They can go and shyte. I never watch RTE, haven't in years.

• Advertisement

pragmatic1 wrote: »

But do you pay the license?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Autochange wrote: »
    Once.

Once.

Thats what i like to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I would wonder how much RTE have recovered from chasing people who have not paid, after all associated costs? So it seems like punish the registered payers, to cover all those who have not.

As someone who already pays their licence, I would actually welcome a broadcast fee if it was at the same rate as the current licence. Even though the only time I really watch RTE, would be for a Rugby/Football/GAA match not already on BBC/ITV, or for The Toyshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Last weeks debacle over unequal gender pay unearthed some other figures. Like a 19 million deficit last year up from under 3 million in 15. How did they squander another 17mill in 12 months? Lets not forget the 100+million the recent sale of the 9 acre land bank made.
    I worked for a semi state over 20 yrs ago and they were grossly inefficient. RTE is the same and needs some serious streamlining.
    Whoever gets to present the late late show usually is the highest paid presenter. 3hrs of sh1te and a few hrs of a radio show and he gets 400k. Seriously fcuked up. Dobson getting almost 200k for reading news and an odd interview. ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's also a church collection style shakedown for cash with premium rate text numbers for competitions on almost every single live chat and sports show along with sponsorship of the show and adverts and the licence fee on top of that.

7.1% of the licence fee went on de Orchestra and a paltry 2.6% went towards online services, what a bloody joke of an organisation, they then go waffling about modernising.

original?width=630&version=3502480

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

| go waffling about.....

Good point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've been back in Ireland for 10 years now. That means I didn't buy a TV Licence 10 times. That's 10 times I've done it and I didn't even have to do anything to do it.

I got a flyer in with the post today (An Post publicity cráp) warning me that the TV licence inspectors are in the area or some other nonsense like that...

My licence has actually expired in July....Im sitting here planning the evenings tv and see that RTE have Masterchef on tonight.....from 2015. Why the fúck would I want to watch a 2 year old show that Ive probably seen "live" at the time in 2015 on BBC???

It gauls me that I have to pay for the crap that they put on. I honestly rarely watch RTE at all.

They should make it Pay Per View and see how much the public value the like of Tubridy, Dobson, Duffy et al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

If they stop wasting money on buy syndicates for old shows it might be a help.how countrys that dont have tv license and yet have national broadcaster get by i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

We pay for their fine salaries and now they get tax exemptions as well for books and scripts . Jennifer Maguire and poor oul Ryan Tubridy.
    https://www.goss.ie/showbiz/tax-free-status-awarded-rugby-legend-paul-o-connell-2fms-jennifer-zamparelli-107387.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We pay for their fine salaries and now they get tax exemptions as well for books and scripts . Jennifer Maguire and poor oul Ryan Tubridy.
    https://www.goss.ie/showbiz/tax-free-status-awarded-rugby-legend-paul-o-connell-2fms-jennifer-zamparelli-107387.

And some promote their books gratis on air on state owned airwaves and moan about people not supporting Irish business yet they themselves get their book printed in Germany and also apply for de artists exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

just checking in here . I sold my TV on adverts.ie and my household is still happy as anything with the internet, youtube, netflix clones and minecraft etc . We havent watched RTE in 5 years (except by accident) and deliberately in over 10 ... This licence fee is insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    As someone who already pays their licence, I would actually welcome a broadcast fee if...

No aware citizen should welcome more taxes in my opinion

Also why is It called a tv license if u still need even if u dont own a tv.why does rte get so much of the money aswell.think it tv3 if they arent should be get a share aswell only fair tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

If it closed down tomorrow, I don't think anyone would miss it,, We could all volunteer to pay the BBC €2 a month to do some Irish interest news and be better off for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

The whole gender thing is also been pushed to take the heat off. Look the top ten nearly got 4m in 2015. That's obscene for an organisation that is making a loss. Rte is not fit for purpose. The top ten is one thing but i'd love to know the rest. Rte will drag the line they need to pay these salaries to keep them. That's not correct most of them wouldn't get half as much anywhere else.

Rte get's the taxpayer's money as well as ad money and yet they managed a 20m loss last year. They want a doubling in the licence fee for what. What do they actually do well. Very little. Rte need's to be totally streamlined or put to bed. It's just a gravy train. I bet if it was subscription service they'd find out very quickly that they are a joke. They produce very little home grown program's. It seems all we have is chat show's, cookery show's, travel show's or cheap rip off of reality tv show's. They don't deserve one cent increase and in fact i really love to see they struggle even more. Can't see how they get a raise by at this stage given the obscene wage's and wastage at the biggest gravy boat around.

The whole gender thing is also been pushed to take the heat off. Look the top ten nearly got 4m in 2015. That's obscene for an organisation that is making a loss. Rte is not fit for purpose. The top ten is one thing but i'd love to know the rest. Rte will drag the line they need to pay these salaries to keep them. That's not correct most of them wouldn't get half as much anywhere else.

Rte get's the taxpayer's money as well as ad money and yet they managed a 20m loss last year. They want a doubling in the licence fee for what. What do they actually do well. Very little. Rte need's to be totally streamlined or put to bed. It's just a gravy train. I bet if it was subscription service they'd find out very quickly that they are a joke. They produce very little home grown program's. It seems all we have is chat show's, cookery show's, travel show's or cheap rip off of reality tv show's. They don't deserve one cent increase and in fact i really love to see they struggle even more. Can't see how they get a raise by at this stage given the obscene wage's and wastage at the biggest gravy boat around.

What are they actually spending there money on other than stupid wages for trubrity and the like.they have no Sport at all apart from odd gaa Match and ireland soccer game.dont make much of there own programming

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

It's just one big gravy train from what i can see. The money seems to just go to the people in rte. They produce little of their own programming. Nearly 4m on the top ten in an organisation that is losing money is a farce. They need to cut wages in half and then go from their. Darcy 400k a year is really piss taking. Rte is only going one way and that's bust. They can't justify another rise and as the way people watch tv continually changes more people won't pay. And why should they pay for absolute drivel. For example sending another clown on junket Creedon going up the bleeding shannon is the latest one.

Advertisement