Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Smart Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

thebackbar wrote: »
    Hi, 
    I just received my Xiaomi gw, put it has a Chinese plug, what type of adapter should i buy ? thanks  440112.jpg however

I bought a " 3 Pin AC Power Plug Adapter Travel Converter AU/UK/US/EU PR" on adverts.ie which powered it up. Note though i had to force the plug in a small bit, it wasn't a perfect fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

thebackbar wrote: »
    I bought a " 3 Pin AC Power Plug Adapter Travel Converter AU/UK/US/EU PR" on adverts.ie which powered it up. Note though i had to force the plug in a small bit, it wasn't a perfect fit

I get mine in Dealz - decent quality one with the BS standard logo thing - a euro or euro fifty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So I think I've caught the bug. My 2 separate orders for bits have arrived in the last couple of days - 8 days since ordered which I assume is good.

Anyway, just to keep things simple as a starting point I got a gateway, 2 * door sensors and a Dafang camera. Setup was simple and I have them all working as I, perhaps optimistically, thought they would. The door sensors set off the alarm which will work fine as an internal siren. Also, in every test I've done I have received an alert on the phone almost immediately - exactly what I wanted.

I had my concerns about the Dafang as one of the other guys here said they have one that never worked. Well, mine works, not a bother, motion detection sends an alert to my phone. Pic quality is absolutely fine. Being able to control the camera while away from the house is, frankly, cool. Now, setting up automation on it will be tricky as all the automation settings are in Chinese.

I'm very happy, now we just have to see how long it all works. Now that I've made my first step, I'm already planning more door sensors, light bulbs, motion sensors, maybe a switch or two. . . possibly a fire alarm. . . .mmmm decisions

theteal wrote: »
    So I think I've caught the bug. My 2 separate orders for bits have arrived in the last couple of days - 8 days since ordered which I assume is good.

Anyway, just to keep things simple as a starting point I got a gateway, 2 * door sensors and a Dafang camera. Setup was simple and I have them all working as I, perhaps optimistically, thought they would. The door sensors set off the alarm which will work fine as an internal siren. Also, in every test I've done I have received an alert on the phone almost immediately - exactly what I wanted.

I had my concerns about the Dafang as one of the other guys here said they have one that never worked. Well, mine works, not a bother, motion detection sends an alert to my phone. Pic quality is absolutely fine. Being able to control the camera while away from the house is, frankly, cool. Now, setting up automation on it will be tricky as all the automation settings are in Chinese.

I'm very happy, now we just have to see how long it all works. Now that I've made my first step, I'm already planning more door sensors, light bulbs, motion sensors, maybe a switch or two. . . possibly a fire alarm. . . .mmmm decisions

Cool.

Unfortunately there is no fire alarm. There is a smoke alarm though which I have ( I also have carbon monoxide alarm.).

The time zone doesn't matter for automation. Go back a page and see the instructions that BK wrote for automation, works great, but do get a switch. Actually get two, one to arm and disarm the system. The other to use as a doorbell.

iba wrote: »
    Cool.

Unfortunately there is no fire alarm. There is a smoke alarm though which I have ( I also have carbon monoxide alarm.).

The time zone doesn't matter for automation. Go back a page and see the instructions that BK wrote for automation, works great, but do get a switch. Actually get two, one to arm and disarm the system. The other to use as a doorbell.

Smoke alarm, fire alarm, are they not the same thing? Anyway, yeah I may get one of them.

I have just discovered an unintended bonus feature. For 10 years I've been trying to get MrsTeal to close doors after herself - brain meltingly frustrating. Now, I've set it so the Chinese radio station (full volume) doesn't stop until she closes the kitchen door :pac:

• Advertisement

Smoke alarm, fire alarm, are they not the same thing? Anyway, yeah I may get one of them.

I have just discovered an unintended bonus feature. For 10 years I've been trying to get MrsTeal to close doors after herself - brain meltingly frustrating. Now, I've set it so the Chinese radio station (full volume) doesn't stop until she closes the kitchen door :pac:

Lol. I actually use Asia FM. Much better than all the Irish stations imo, next to no talking at all, and all the modern pop songs are played

I have the yeelight ceiling light installed (not the individual bulb). I understand that this can be controlled by Alexa if set to the Singapore server. However I have all my other xiaomi gear set to the Chinese server and my aforementioned yeelight has gone to that too. Is there anyway that I can get the yeelight on its own to go to the Singapore server?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i have 2 apps. in xiaomi app i have all my xiaomi home security stuff connected to chinese server. i also have an yeelight app which is connected to singapore server. it has only by bulbs.it works with alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

My 2 separate orders for bits have arrived in the last couple of days - 8 days since ordered which I assume is good.

Where did you order from? & what shipping option?

Where did you order from? & what shipping option?

Banggood and Gearbest, whichever was the cheaper for whatever bits. Standard free shipping. I am UK based just in case that makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have all the sensors setup now and working with Home Assistant.
    It's a shame that they only have the E27 bulbs, as I mostly have GU10 at home now.

mcgovern wrote: »
    I have all the sensors setup now and working with Home Assistant.
    It's a shame that they only have the E27 bulbs, as I mostly have GU10 at home now.

Yup, a little annoying, I’ve invested in a few adapters to convert the bulb socket, cheap enough

i have 2 apps. in xiaomi app i have all my xiaomi home security stuff connected to chinese server. i also have an yeelight app which is connected to singapore server. it has only by bulbs.it works with alexa.

Thanks, managed to change it to singapore server by using the yeelight app rather than the yeelight ceiling app.

but i cant find the alexa skill now, what's it called? Nevermind I found it. But when I asked Alexa to search it returned two devices (but I only have one):

1 - Yeelight Ceiling Light - Yeelight Smart LED
    2 - Yeelight Ceiling Light - Yeelight Ceiling Light

Sorry, another question, Alexa is turning it on and off but I dont know what to say to get it to change brightness up or down or to change moods.

Another problem Ive noticed now, although it might just be me, when I was on teh China server and using the Yeelight Ceiling App, I was able to set timers so the light would come on at 5pm for example. Now in the Yeelight App on the Singapore server, I can't find how to set timers at all.

I did come across a new Alexa skill called Mi-Light Cloud, it seems to be for the LED strips which I also have. might look into that later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Does anyone else notice a constant light buzz coming from their xiaomi gateway? It's not very loud but if you are near the gateway you can hear it.

matrim wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice a constant light buzz coming from their xiaomi gateway? It's not very loud but if you are near the gateway you can hear it.

Not heard a peep from my gateway - well, apart from the odd alarm and some smooth chinese radio

How are people getting on with their kit?

I'm slowly amassing quite a few bits. Getting a few of the switches has made arming the alarm a much more convenient process. Raised a bit of an eyebrow this morning as none of my devices were appearing in the app, a few reboots and still nothing. They eventually turned up after a few minutes but I was cursing it a bit.

It's prompting my for a firmware update for the last week or so, anybody had any issue with it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, been working away for me, no obvious issues.

Though I have started connecting some of the Xiaomi sensors to my Smart Things Hub and will likely switch over to that completely. The Xiaomi sensors make for great cheap sensors for it.

No noise from mine.

I always update to the latest f/w

I have the ST Hub and will eventually get everything working through that and with Domoticz and alexa., Just never have the time.

Got the Yi outdoor cam at Xmas for example and still haven't set it up.

I have a whole kit for sale on adverts, and other bits and pieces if anyone needs stuff, plugs, switches, sensors, multi plug, I got too much.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

iba wrote: »
    Got the Yi outdoor cam at Xmas for example and still haven't set it up.

Let us know how that goes, I've been eyeing that up myself

bk wrote: »

will do - maybe tomorrow and if not hopefully next weekend.

Trying to add Xiaomi Yeelight Ceiling to Harmony Elite

https://www.gearbest.com/ceiling-lights/pp_596249.html

But I understand that Logitech and Yeelight have issues with each other as companies and therefore Logitech does not support Yeelight products.

Anyone know a good trick way to get around it. Obviously I have the Yeelight remote so I can teach the Harmony the Yeelight remote but what Manufacturer and Device should I enter into the Harmony?

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement

As far as I remember in the desktop Harmony app their is an option to add an unknown remote and have it learn each button. That is assuming the yeelight remote is using IR and not something else like RF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

My sensors have been very slow to respond over the last few days. They often taking up to 5 minutes to change on home-assistant. This makes most of my automations unusable :(

If I reboot the gateway then it seems to fix it for a short time but it's back to being slow pretty soon afterwards.

bk wrote: »

Got the cam set-up but cant give you any pics today coz of the rain.

Works fine. Picture is good quality. Sends alerts to my phone. Can see live video and recorded video on my phone when outside of network. Is I'd say maybe 30 meters away from my router and picks up the wifi signal perfectly.

My only issue is that I bought it on amazon usa so I got the international version and therefore i do not appear to have the option to add it to the mi home app.

All these different apps. do my head in. I had to put my ceiling light onto the signapore (or was it american server) to work with Alexa - so therefore thats not in the Mi home app. Now my Yi Outdoor cam is on the Yi Home app (international version). (Have a Yi indoor cam and thats on Yi Home app (chinese version - but at least that works in Mi Home app too)).

I see that there is a European server now, I presume there is no point in switching the Mi Home app/Gateway to that?

And last question for now, I have a Mi Box with Chinese plug. Would it be okay to cut off the Chinese plug and attach a standard UK/Ireland plug? Also wondering if I can do that with a couple of Mi Power Strips that I have - this is what I mean:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Original-Xiaomi-Mi-Power-Strip-1M-Cable-Mijia-3-Extension-Socket-Power-Converter-Adapter/32849530347.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.30.d0493c7cd41Irm&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10152_5722917_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_5722817_10340_10341_5722617_10697_10696_10084_10083_10618_10304_10307_10302_5722717_10059_10534_100031_10103_441_5722517_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_19,ppcSwitch_7&algo_expid=1c1cb6b3-933e-4597-b2fa-5acc3c3884d2-4&algo_pvid=1c1cb6b3-933e-4597-b2fa-5acc3c3884d2&priceBeautifyAB=0

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

iba wrote:
    All these different apps. do my head in. I had to put my ceiling light onto the signapore (or was it american server) to work with Alexa - so therefore thats not in the Mi home app. Now my Yi Outdoor cam is on the Yi Home app (international version). (Have a Yi indoor cam and thats on Yi Home app (chinese version - but at least that works in Mi Home app too)).

That's the trick though, it's all about the set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Hi folks,
    Thinking of getting this for our home. Where's the best place to buy it?
    Also, thinking of getting the Yi Home Camera to use as a baby monitor. Are they any good? And can they be linked into the Smart Home System?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bootser

Hi all, have this installed as a basic home alarm, was working great up to Christmas but the notifications aren't coming to my phone since. I've updated the app but it still won't give me notifications. I definitely have given permission to the app also. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi folks,
    Thinking of getting this for our home. Where's the best place to buy it?
    Also, thinking of getting the Yi Home Camera to use as a baby monitor. Are they any good? And can they be linked into the Smart Home System?
    Thanks!

The best place to buy it is from me I have a whole kit for sale on adverts. Or you can buy from AliExpress, geekbuying, gearbest and wait a few weeks and pay vat and the postman's tax.
    I have to home camera for sale too, international version.
    If you mean, Samsung smart things, yes they can.
    Yes it can work as a baby monitor.

bootser wrote: »
    Hi all, have this installed as a basic home alarm, was working great up to Christmas but the notifications aren't coming to my phone since. I've updated the app but it still won't give me notifications. I definitely have given permission to the app also. Anyone else have this problem?

I don't know the answer to your problem. All I can say mine is working fine. Eg I had a notification yesterday afternoon that somone was ringing my doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭paulbok

Anyone know what type battery the aqara door sensors take?

Edit: it is a Cr1632

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭paulbok

Not heard a peep from my gateway - well, apart from the odd alarm and some smooth chinese radio

How are people getting on with their kit?

I'm slowly amassing quite a few bits. Getting a few of the switches has made arming the alarm a much more convenient process. Raised a bit of an eyebrow this morning as none of my devices were appearing in the app, a few reboots and still nothing. They eventually turned up after a few minutes but I was cursing it a bit.

It's prompting my for a firmware update for the last week or so, anybody had any issue with it?

I finally got around to adding the sensors I got to my SmartThings setup. Had hoped to be using HA but seem to be jinxed there.
    Were pretty easy to add, and the door/window sensors are so much easier to fit than the SmartThings ones. The magnets can be a small distance from the senor and still in the closed position, so handier for non flush surfaces like door/windows and frames.
    Ordered a few more online today as there was a decent sale on.

Advertisement