Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Smart Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Stoner wrote: »
    The Siemens panel is good for this too.

It has a web server and you can link it up with an rpi as part of an over all system to carry out actions based on the state of the sensors, it can control X10

That sounds more like what I want. I'm sure they all have adequate functionality for setting / checking the alarm from an app but the extra of being able to hook it into a home assistant to push that sensor data into my other automations is what would make me consider changing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Can you set up an alarm to ring on the gateway when the doorsensor is actiavted? I'm thinking about buying them so I can do something similar.

Yes you can. Dog barking, air raid siren, war etc etc

THE ALM wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback bk, been looking at these and probably get it ordered in the next day or two with a view to doing something similar to yourself. Could pick up one of the 5 in 1 sets and add to it.

Add in a few zigbee light switches and you you would be getting a lot for the money as you say. Home Assistant would be the way forward then and as the Xiaomi component is already there should be too much of a faff about with it.

I would imagine setting the motion and window sensors to knock on some lights at night etc. if activated would be a simple process to add as well.

Remember that the gateway shod be set to China mainland so when setting up use a seven or maybe even an eight hour time adjustment. EG if you want lights to come on at 6pm you should set the time to come on as 2 am (I hope I have that the right way around)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

iba wrote: »
    Yes you can. Dog barking, air raid siren, war etc etc

You can also record any alert sound you like. I was thinking Dirty Harry asking if the punk feels lucky :D

bk wrote: »
    So I finally got a chance to properly play with and set this up.

First of all these sensors are amazingly small, I love how small they are. I'll post some pics later.

The MiHome app is only ok and getting it all set up is definitely a DIY job and patience is needed. This is not for someone who just wants it to work and isn't willing to spend a few hours playing around with it. Some of the app and notifications are in Chinese and while most is English, it doesn't always really make sense.

However I've got a decent setup now. I have the hub, switch, 2 x door/window sensors, 2 x motion sensors.

I've it working so one click of the switch, arms the alarm after a 30 second delay (configurable). When armed, if any of the sensors are triggered, then the alarm goes off and I get a notification. The one exception I've set up is the front door, which gives me a 30 second delay before triggering the alarm. I can then deactivate the alarm with a double tap of the switch before it goes off.

I've also got it setup so I get a notification if a window is left open when I arm the alarm.

A few things I've yet to figure out:

- I don't think it will send a notification if power/broadband is down.

- Will I get a notification if one of the sensors batteries is low.

- How to easily setup a home armed mode. As in only window/door sensors on, not the motion sensors.

I figure once I start setting up Home Assistant, I can probably sort this.

One thing I'd like to see them add, is a battery operated pin pad, with a LED panel, allowing you to arm/disarm it, etc. Oh and BTW the alarm really isn't very loud, I wouldn't expect it to be drawing your neighbours over, though it does have fun weird noises it can make, like the sound of battles, barking dogs, etc.

In summary, though, I'm very happy with it for how little it has cost. I already ordered two more window sensors and a motion sensor this evening and I'll likely order more once I get Home Assistant working (probably the wall switches and temp/humidity sensors).

I'm not saying that this will be my smart alarm system long term, but I think for the €100 or so I've spent on this, it will do as a nice cheap temporary option for a year or so until this market matures.

But again, not for the faint of heart.

Nice article. Your right, if the internet is down the system is down.

Things I'd like to see added is actually a complete home alarm system and a central heating system . Hopefully the second one will happen since the smoke sensor and the carbon monoxide sensor were done in conjunction with Honeywell.

• Advertisement

But someone wouldn't need to know code or anything?

You do not need to know code.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Hi guys, apologies if I am on the wrong thread. I have already some Mi Lights, and I want to get some Yeelights as well. Is there a single app that I can use, or I have to use multiple? I have this controller.

Can I use another controller maybe to have them all together and possibly combine them with google home?

I previously had four of these controlling three led strips and one mi light bulb. In the last year I upgraded to the latest inbox 3. Anyway, I found the milight app not very good and came across this one by some German guys and used it all the time. Although not perfect and hasn't been updated in ages was way better than the milight one. The milight ibox3 app is better though but is not backwards compatible.
    https://plus.google.com/communities/102932514651734489790

You can also record any alert sound you like. I was thinking Dirty Harry asking if the punk feels lucky :D

I didn't know that, have to check it out.

I put an Aqara switch on the front door yesterday to use as a doorbell and set the tone to air raid and frightened the life out of herindoors. Also have the gateway setup to ring when my phone rings.

Although I actually find Asia FM a good station, I want to make it so that it can get European stations, I think I read that if you change the DNS this can be done, have you tried this?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Although I actually find Asia FM a good station, I want to make it so that it can get European stations, I think I read that if you change the DNS this can be done, have you tried this?

Afraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

matrim wrote: »
    That sounds more like what I want. I'm sure they all have adequate functionality for setting / checking the alarm from an app but the extra of being able to hook it into a home assistant to push that sensor data into my other automations is what would make me consider changing

I have the comfort panel which is a full integrated alarm and home automation system. I got it working last week talking to a RPI and all the sensors and controlled times etc are now emulated into my smaetthings hub. Tje great thing about it, is that its a completely standalone system, with full automation logic built in to it, doesn't rely on external servers to keep working.

The integration with smart things was the last step which opens up a huge range of options now as well.

• Advertisement

wexfordman2, have you a link to that? The name is hard to google.

wexfordman2, have you a link to that? The name is hard to google.

http://www.cytech.biz/

Here it is sorry, was a bit lazy typing on my phone :-)

Its comprised of a basic alarm panel, and then you add on to it depending on your needs, so for example you would add

1) Expansion panel to increase from 8 inputs to 24
    2) Eth board to provide remote access and app control (no push notifications at the moment by default, but options available)
    3) HA interface:- This could be ZWAVE, CBUS, EIB etc

Then you add keypads etc as well obviously.

The logic built into it allows you integrate all the sensors into your home automation system, it is the controller as well as the alarm panel. This means that your automation logic can vary based on alarm status (ie, night mode, dont turn on certain lights), or when setting alarm to night mode, turn off all the lights as well.

The RPI device which is still being developed, but you can download and use it, basically emulates smart things devices, so the inputs, pirs and sensors appear as ST inputs and pir;s etc. My lighting system is velbus, but it now appears on my ST hub.

The ST emulation is what has given my entire system control via google home.

See here for the info on the rpi ST emulation
    http://www.comfortforums.com/forum136/4617.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Here it is sorry, was a bit lazy typing on my phone :-)

Sounds the business, should be a sticky on it now, I'll set it up.

Note two things all.

It's not cheap
    We are all not Wexfordman2 , including the suppliers, sometimes to keep a certain type of car on the road , you need to be a mechanic

I can't see installers making the multiple call outs required to get this up and running and going so it will require some learning for most.

Stoner wrote: »
    Sounds the business, should be a sticky on it now, I'll set it up.

Note two things all.

It's not cheap
    We are all not Wexfordman2 , including the suppliers, sometimes to keep a certain type of car on the road , you need to be a mechanic

I can't see installers making the multiple call outs required to get this up and running and going so it will require some learning for most.

I think this is system that you need to be prepared to work on yourself, I don't think I would get an installer to do it for for me, as stoner said, you can't get an installer back to tweak and change every time you want to change something. Its not a plug and play device either, a good amount of wiring and programming required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

- How to easily setup a home armed mode. As in only window/door sensors on, not the motion sensors.

I figure once I start setting up Home Assistant, I can probably sort this.

But again, not for the faint of heart.

nice review...
    i have this for a while now..and it works well for my usage.
    i have siemens wired spc for main alarm system
    xiaomi gateway alarm with door and motion sensors as my secondary
    xiaomi camera as motion sensor 3rd level.
    it may not stop burglars but does give me a little bit of peace of mind.

i am waiting for singapore servers to have these functionalities so that i can enable yeelight bulbs with the alarm system. also have the wireless switches for bulbs.

Hi,

I have Mi Home app with multiple devices/scenes set-up on my phone.

Is there a way to transfer my complete set-up onto OHs phone in one swift move without adding everything individually?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have been using the mihome app and a single xiaofang camera for the last year without issue. I got another Xiaofang camera (the one with pan and tilt). And I'm having no luck adding the device to the app. Every time I go to add the device I simply get an error:

"Couldn't find an available Wi-Fi network"

The device is powered on. The setup button was pressed, and the device spoke (in Chinese), which should me it is ready to go. I can see the devices wifi network on my phone, and connect to it. But even when connected the app immediately will error out with the above. I've restarted my android device (smart ultra 6, running 5.1.1), uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version. Not too sure what to do at this point, I was more wondering if anyone had experienced similar!

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have been using the mihome app and a single xiaofang camera for the last year without issue. I got another Xiaofang camera (the one with pan and tilt). And I'm having no luck adding the device to the app. Every time I go to add the device I simply get an error:

"Couldn't find an available Wi-Fi network"

The device is powered on. The setup button was pressed, and the device spoke (in Chinese), which should me it is ready to go. I can see the devices wifi network on my phone, and connect to it. But even when connected the app immediately will error out with the above. I've restarted my android device (smart ultra 6, running 5.1.1), uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version. Not too sure what to do at this point, I was more wondering if anyone had experienced similar!

Cheers

Just an update on this one. Managed to sort it. I suspect the app didn't like my phone, it had some trouble reading the wifi. I used my old Samsung S4 and it worked just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Hi,

I have Mi Home app with multiple devices/scenes set-up on my phone.

Is there a way to transfer my complete set-up onto OHs phone in one swift move without adding everything individually?

Cheers.

use the same login details on the other phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

For the alarm type system, do they have any external mounted light unit that sounds an alarm like the normal house alarm units you see at the front of houses?

More a deterrent than anything.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    For the alarm type system, do they have any external mounted light unit that sounds an alarm like the normal house alarm units you see at the front of houses?

More a deterrent than anything.

No, they don't, it is very much an entry level solution.

5.0.15 Mi Home app out but I had to d/l as an .APK from a mirror.

It resolves an issue whereby the gateway was not setting off the alarm on your phone when activated, I understand.

New temperature gadget out tomorrow and xiaomi eco system available on github and other info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9x7O6biwg8&feature=em-subs_digest

How to change radio stations - haven't done it myself, I quite like Asia FM (plays all the latest pop tunes and hardly any talking):

http://ximiraga.ru/

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

iba wrote:
    New temperature gadget out tomorrow and xiaomi eco system available on github and other info:

Would be nice if they had a radiator controller you could link this too, at 11euro it would be perfect to have one in every room.

Guys,

I bought these because it said they worked with Mi Home Gateway:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexa-compatible-MiHome-Gateway-required/dp/B00V52HTJC/ref=sr_1_3?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1513442798&sr=1-3&keywords=energenie

But if I'm not mistaken this is another company calling there kit MiHome.

So anyway, does anyone know if they will work with the Xiaomi Mi Home Gateway and if so which icon do I pick in the Add Device menu please?

Thanks

iba, completely different companies, I'm afraid they aren't compatible.

These plugs are made by a UK company called Energenie and they only work with their own hub and app called Mi|Home (note the | ).

Xiaomi have their own smart hub and their own app called MiHome.

They aren't compatible with one another.

BTW I actually happen to have both hubs.

iba, completely different companies, I'm afraid they aren't compatible.

These plugs are made by a UK company called Energenie and they only work with their own hub and app called Mi|Home (note the | ).

Xiaomi have their own smart hub and their own app called MiHome.

They aren't compatible with one another.

BTW I actually happen to have both hubs.

Thanks. I didn't notice that extra I in there. In that case I've got three for sale.

Thanks. I didn't notice that extra I in there. In that case I've got three for sale.

If you bought them at Amazon, contact them and explain your mistake? They are usually really good at accepting returns for such mistakes.

• Advertisement

So I have had these Xiaomi smart sensors for about a month now and at least so far they seem to be working very reliably.

I've temporarily set the front door sensor to give me a notification when it opens/closes, just to test out it's reliability and so far it seems very good. It has notified me 100% of the time and usually within a very impressive one or two seconds of the door opening.

I can't speak to the overall reliability of the alarm, as fortunately I haven't been burgled! But it just seems to be working away.

Again, no guarantees, info just offered as FYI.

I've also picked up a SmartThings starter kit and so far it is working nicely. There are pros and cons with it versus Xiaomi but it is probably closer to a proper alarm system, but still not quiet there, but then it is a good bit more expensive.

Interestingly it turns out that with a bit of hacking, you can make the Xiaomi devices work with the Smart Things hub. Their are some issues with doing this, but it allows you to use the very cheap Xiaomi sensors with the better software of SmartThings, so in a few weeks I might try that.

Advertisement