Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Smart Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

I bought a bunch of stuff. Been disappointed so far. The water sensor to connect to the gateway is juts a binary sensor, a simple 1 or 0 thing. I had it in the dishwasher so I could get notifications when it's done but it pushes a notification that water is gone about 4/5 through the cycle. I think it may be ok with an alarm delay but it has to be quite long time.

The gateway then just continues flashing and the entire thing needs a reboot to stop the flashing.

Positives; yeelight integration and temperature sensors are fine. Aqara wall switches worked just fine with yeelight.

I don't think you need a reboot. You have it set up for the water sender to trigger the alarm therefore the alarm goes off, so just turn off the alarm.

I was reading last night that lots of stuff now works with Alexa, eg sensors. However the switches still do not but should do before year end.

Point being soon you will be able to turn and off your house alarm system with Alexa etc

Just switch everything to EU server and use the new mi home Alexa skill.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

iba wrote: »
    I don't think you need a reboot. You have it set up for the water sender to trigger the alarm therefore the alarm goes off, so just turn off the alarm.

Yes, I do that but it continues to flash.

Yes, I do that but it continues to flash.

There's a way to stop that. Sorry I don't know how. BK will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

iba wrote: »
    I was reading last night that lots of stuff now works with Alexa, eg sensors. However the switches still do not but should do before year end.

Point being soon you will be able to turn and off your house alarm system with Alexa etc

Just switch everything to EU server and use the new mi home Alexa skill.

i am still on singapore server for lights and chinese server for other stuff.
    is EU server fully up and running with all features?

• Advertisement

i am still on singapore server for lights and chinese server for other stuff.
    is EU server fully up and running with all features?

I'm like you, on Chinese server for nearly everything just on Singapore or American server for yeelight.

I understand that the EU server has most things now except switches. But since my doorbell is a switch and I need that to work with the hub I didn't change servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭paulbok

Installed a wired 2 gang switch yesterday and so far so good. As I couldn't deepen the hole in the wall I got extension collars to extend out the switch face plate from the wall to give the necessary depth for the switch.
    Connected easily to the Xiaomi app. No neutral required.
    As an on/off switch it looks it do the job, it's only controlling dumb bulbs on my porch (2nd gang powers the sensor for them). If you could dim from the switch it would certainly give a great option for switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Hi, thinking of taking the plunge. Are things now integrated with Alexa and the European server. Also is Ali and gearbest still the best places to purchase.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Finally got bayonet adapters for my Yeelights.

Easily set up with my Google Home!

Very handy and impressed with them.

I tried using the Xiaomi Gateway and mini switches with them aswell however Google Home wouldn't control them then so they got put away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Got the Hub, door sensor and light switch set up today. All devices connected to the hub without any issues and so far the system seems to work very well. I had to reinstall the MI Home App to get the door sensor alerts working. My only gripe is that the App isn't as intuitive as other systems and some of it is in Chinese.

Paid less than €50 for all 3 devices. If they continue to work as they are now then it's great value and a very cheap alternative to other systems on the market.

The only feature I would like to have is the option to dim the lights from the switch. I still have to try some LED's with the light switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Murtimus

Interested in getting a hub and some temperature sensors for use in HomeKit from gearbest. I know these come with the Chinese plug so just wondering how safe they would be with the adapters? Or is there a good recommendation for adapters

Haven't used one of these but Powercity have adapters. I suppose they would be as safe as any other.

https://powercity.ie/product/360959

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Quick one folks.

Are the Aqara door sensors compatible withe the normal Mijia gateway?
    Struggling to find that info online. Those sensors are currently going for £6.40 which is a fair bit cheaper than the normal sensors - and I need a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Is it possible to turn the light off on the Xiaomi hub? I seem to only be able to turn it down to brightness 3 which is still pretty bright

Is it possible to turn the light off on the Xiaomi hub? I seem to only be able to turn it down to brightness 3 which is still pretty bright

Yes its possible to turn it off alright! I'll have a look tomorrow how I managed it.

Only this week have I set up my PIR, Temp and Humidity Sensors, Switches and Lights with Home Assistant!

Still figuring HA out but seems to be working well.

I've ordered some door and window sensors along with the Xiaomi Honeywell Smoke Alarm to try out (ill be purchasing Nest Smoke Alarms for the main rooms for piece of mind however).

Anyone having issues with notifications from the MiHome app on android. Trying to setup door sensor to notify me. Sensor is working fine because I've got it to trigger the hub to pick a ringtone but notifications won't come through android. They are coming through to iPad. Looked online and it seems common problem but I haven't found any solution.

I also was able to turn the light off by running a scene that turned it off.

Anyone having issues with notifications from the MiHome app on android. Trying to setup door sensor to notify me. Sensor is working fine because I've got it to trigger the hub to pick a ringtone but notifications won't come through android. They are coming through to iPad. Looked online and it seems common problem but I haven't found any solution.

I have a similar problem with my new Mi A2 Lite. I have notifications set to alert me when alarm is armed, which work ok most of the time but the actual alert when the alarm was triggered was just coming through as a text alert as opposed to an alarm sound - I can’t find a setting to change that. But then yesterday when testing, it’s not alerting at all on that phone when alarm is triggered. I’ve tested on an iPhone 7 and an old HTC One and they both work fine. This is quite a serious issue and I’ve decided to stop using the A2 as my main phone for now.

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Yes its possible to turn it off alright! I'll have a look tomorrow how I managed it.

Only this week have I set up my PIR, Temp and Humidity Sensors, Switches and Lights with Home Assistant!

Still figuring HA out but seems to be working well.

I've ordered some door and window sensors along with the Xiaomi Honeywell Smoke Alarm to try out (ill be purchasing Nest Smoke Alarms for the main rooms for piece of mind however).

Bear in mind nest no longer allowed new connections to HA.

theteal wrote: »
    I have a similar problem with my new Mi A2 Lite. I have notifications set to alert me when alarm is armed, which work ok most of the time but the actual alert when the alarm was triggered was just coming through as a text alert as opposed to an alarm sound - I can’t find a setting to change that. But then yesterday when testing, it’s not alerting at all on that phone when alarm is triggered. I’ve tested on an iPhone 7 and an old HTC One and they both work fine. This is quite a serious issue and I’ve decided to stop using the A2 as my main phone for now.
    Ya I'm on Huawei P20 Pro and notifications ain't coming through. Makes the app and sensors pretty pointless

Ya I'm on Huawei P20 Pro and notifications ain't coming through. Makes the app and sensors pretty pointless

Working perfect on the iPhone and old old old HTC One

• Advertisement

Two issues I've experienced with alerts. If you restart your phone the alerts wont fire if the Mihome App has not been opened.
    When I first installed the Gateway and sensors I had to remove and reinstall the App to get the alerts to work.

Quick one folks.

Are the Aqara door sensors compatible withe the normal Mijia gateway?
    Struggling to find that info online. Those sensors are currently going for £6.40 which is a fair bit cheaper than the normal sensors - and I need a few.

I'll answer my own question, just in case the info is useful to others. Yes the Aqara door/window sensors work perfectly fine with the normal Mijia Gateway. I've just received and set up a bunch of them. Very happy.

I'll answer my own question, just in case the info is useful to others. Yes the Aqara door/window sensors work perfectly fine with the normal Mijia Gateway. I've just received and set up a bunch of them. Very happy.

How are you finding them? I received two of the Xiaomi ones last night and have set them up to Home Assistant!

Very impressed will order more of them for sure!

I do wonder about battery life though.

Newtown90 wrote: »
    How are you finding them? I received two of the Xiaomi ones last night and have set them up to Home Assistant!

Very impressed will order more of them for sure!

I do wonder about battery life though.

I have some sensors well over a year now and no battery issues. The % reported can be misleading, will show low % very quickly.

We can check the %??

I've my first batch of Mijia sensors just about a year, none dead. I think I read they're supposed to last 2 years. No harm in having a stock of those batteries anyhow. By the way, the boxes for the Aqara sensors are needlessly big, probably 3 times the size of the Mijia ones iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Use them with SmartThings. Work well

Got some IKEA GU10 bulbs working with the Mi Home Hub today!

Very happy with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Folks,sorry for bumping this old thread!!

I was looking to add some window and door sensors to the house. I'm a fan of Xiaomi as they are usually bang for the buck and am stick rocking the mi mix 2s phone.

Anyway,enough nonsense...Can anyone advice which hub I should buy,I am a bit confused as there are Xiaomi branded gateways,then there are the Aqara models which is a sub company of Xiaomi. Then to confuse me even further there are EU and CN versions of the hub too...

Can anyone point me in the right direction,it would be appreciated!!

Cheers

I think I'm still on gen 1 of the hub from China. It works fine internally. My issue is that my last two new phone have been pretty poor for receiving alerts from it. My super old HTC M7 still works perfect but my Samsung A50 might alert if it feels like it, might not, might just do it 20 mins after it should. Makes the remote alarm feature a bit redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I'm curious what I should buy instead of my Xiaomi gateway. It was working fine until Tuesday and although I haven't done any troubleshooting (except to move it closer to the WiFi) I'd prefer a dongle for my RPi. I'm using Home Assistant for everything.

Advertisement