Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Smart Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

bk wrote: »
    So I have had these Xiaomi smart sensors for about a month now and at least so far they seem to be working very reliably.

I've temporarily set the front door sensor to give me a notification when it opens/closes, just to test out it's reliability and so far it seems very good. It has notified me 100% of the time and usually within a very impressive one or two seconds of the door opening.

I can't speak to the overall reliability of the alarm, as fortunately I haven't been burgled! But it just seems to be working away.

Again, no guarantees, info just offered as FYI.

I've also picked up a SmartThings starter kit and so far it is working nicely. There are pros and cons with it versus Xiaomi but it is probably closer to a proper alarm system, but still not quiet there, but then it is a good bit more expensive.

Interestingly it turns out that with a bit of hacking, you can make the Xiaomi devices work with the Smart Things hub. Their are some issues with doing this, but it allows you to use the very cheap Xiaomi sensors with the better software of SmartThings, so in a few weeks I might try that.

I have the smartthings hub too and my brother told me it's possible to connect the xiaomi devices to it but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

iba wrote: »
    I have the smartthings hub too and my brother told me it's possible to connect the xiaomi devices to it but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I haven't tried yet, but I've read about it.

You basically need to use custom code that people have written, a custom handler and load it in the SmartThings IDE.

Also it seems to be quiet tricky to pair even with the custom code, requires multiple tries, etc.

Plus a downside of it, it requires the hub to be online for the sensors to work, unlike the SmartThings sensors which work locally and thus continue to work if internet is down.

I'd say it is definitely doable, but involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

The door sensors and hub I ordered back at the start of November arrived today. I haven't hooked them up yet but I'm impressed by the size of the sensors. If they work reasonably well I'll definitely be getting a few more.

Do you have to use the mihome app with this? The amount of permissions it asks for is crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

matrim wrote: »
    The door sensors and hub I ordered back at the start of November arrived today. I haven't hooked them up yet but I'm impressed by the size of the sensors. If they work reasonably well I'll definitely be getting a few more.

Did you get delivery with Sweden post perchance? I have stuff dispatched with them since December 7th and no sign yet. Package tracking is rubbish for them. this is after a two month delay in goods being dispatched :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've ordered the 5 pc starter kit from AliExpress and a few extra sensors from Gearbest. Waiting for a sale to also pick up some Yeelights.
    This will be my first venture into Home Automation so hopefully they work decently.

paulbok wrote: »
    Did you get delivery with Sweden post perchance? I have stuff dispatched with them since December 7th and no sign yet. Package tracking is rubbish for them. this is after a two month delay in goods being dispatched :rolleyes:

I don't know who it was shipped with. I got the shipping notice on 02/12. I'm not 100% on the arrival but I think it was either Friday or Monday, so hopefully yours is only a couple of days behind

mcgovern wrote: »
    I've ordered the 5 pc starter kit from AliExpress and a few extra sensors from Gearbest. Waiting for a sale to also pick up some Yeelights.
    This will be my first venture into Home Automation so hopefully they work decently.

Not sure which yeelights you want, but I go for Mi Lights as they are a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

iba wrote: »
    Not sure which yeelights you want, but I go for Mi Lights as they are a lot cheaper.

Mi Lights?

Do you just mean the desk lamp here? https://xiaomi-mi.com/smart-lighting/

Or do you mean these guys (which aren't G Home compatible afaik) http://www.milight.com/

Mi Lights?

Do you just mean the desk lamp here? https://xiaomi-mi.com/smart-lighting/

Or do you mean these guys (which aren't G Home compatible afaik) http://www.milight.com/

Sorry I'm not able to copy and paste links atm. I mean milight like you have in the second link. But not from that shop, from AliExpress, much much cheaper.
    I don't know about ghome but they are compatible with Domoticz as is the Xiaomi kit you got. So you can usthe xiaomi sensor you got, for example, to turn on the lights.

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    I don't know who it was shipped with. I got the shipping notice on 02/12. I'm not 100% on the arrival but I think it was either Friday or Monday, so hopefully yours is only a couple of days behind

Thanks Matrim, my notice was 07/12 so going by your order should be here today or Monday. Only 3 months, kind forgotten at this stage what I ordered so it will be a nice 12th day of Christmas surprise if it arrives today.:)

Thanks Matrim, my notice was 07/12 so going by your order should be here today or Monday. Only 3 months, kind forgotten at this stage what I ordered so it will be a nice 12th day of Christmas surprise if it arrives today.:)

Still f#*King waiting, three and a half months since I ordered, and the few bits I received in November are useless without the hub which is in this delivery on the proverbial slow boat from China

Edit: yeah, all arrived today

I've actually got a spare hub for sale if anyone is interested.

Still f#*King waiting, three and a half months since I ordered, and the few bits I received in November are useless without the hub which is in this delivery on the proverbial slow boat from China

I'm thinking of ordering some more as I like the ones I got but am kinda put off by the long wait.

Also a word of warning. I noticed my phone battery draining quickly recently and it looks like it was caused by the mihome app. I've uninstalled it as I'm not actually using any features of it and do everything through home assistant after initial setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So i ordered 5 of the door sensors and the hub. Now to forget all about them until they arrive in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

So i ordered 5 of the door sensors and the hub. Now to forget all about them until they arrive in a few months time.

I ordered 1 set and got them in a week from Gearbest.
    Still waiting on the Gateway though so haven't got to try them out yet.

It'll be a nice Christmas present for yourself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Don't forget the cancellations!

Has anyone considered changing a wall socket to an Asian style wall plate to avoid having in to use an adapter for the Xiaomi hub?
    I'm thinking of putting in a new socket for this hub, as going by the instructions it needs to be 2-10m from the router so it can't go where I keep everything else. Would be a useful night-light in this position as well.
    Laid up for a few months now so haven't done anything since it finally arrived so have too much time now to think of things like this.:rolleyes:
    I believe they work with 240v so shouldn't be a safety issue?
    Also aside from eBay, anywhere else they can be gotten here?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've heard of people getting a power strip with Chinese sockets and then rewiring the cable to UK. I'm not sure if that is any good for you, just FYI. Yes they use 220V in China.

• Advertisement

I've heard of people getting a power strip with Chinese sockets and then rewiring the cable to UK. I'm not sure if that is any good for you, just FYI. Yes they use 220V in China.

It's a single wall plate I'm thinking of, but I might also try that idea with a European power strip for some of the hubs etc, I have. Mess of adapters at the moment in my comms press. Something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Has anyone considered changing a wall socket to an Asian style wall plate to avoid having in to use an adapter for the Xiaomi hub?
    I'm thinking of putting in a new socket for this hub, as going by the instructions it needs to be 2-10m from the router so it can't go where I keep everything else. Would be a useful night-light in this position as well.
    Laid up for a few months now so haven't done anything since it finally arrived so have too much time now to think of things like this.:rolleyes:

Contemplated the same myself, even to just change one for this purpose. I think with an adapter the hub will stick out too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

It's a single wall plate I'm thinking of, but I might also try that idea with a European power strip for some of the hubs etc, I have. Mess of adapters at the moment in my comms press. Something like this

Could go the likes of this also, could power some other hubs off the usb connections

THE ALM wrote: »
    Contemplated the same myself, even to just change one for this purpose. I think with an adapter the hub will stick out too far.

I could use a short suitable strip as suggested and plug it into an existing socked behind a couch and the hub and adapter wouldn't be seen, but it would serve better where I have in mind in the hallway. Will provide a night light and door bell chime in that position.

I could use a short suitable strip as suggested and plug it into an existing socked behind a couch and the hub and adapter wouldn't be seen, but it would serve better where I have in mind in the hallway. Will provide a night light and door bell chime in that position.

In that case you could do. Though I think you would have to do it yourself, an electrician probably wouldn't do it for you as against regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I have one plugged into Hallway socket in my parents. (Using the supplied international adapter) It really does not stick out much. Just the depth of the adapter. The Hub also acts as a night light connected to Body Sensor. So the fact its out from the wall by an extra circa 2cm adds to the light it provides.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=chinese+adapter&rlz=1C1CAFB_enIE662IE662&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=6yFMHdQe1uGkwM%253A%252C3imEvXGAkUi7XM%252C_&usg=__qCLlUxtG0aNu0aWG5u4sfzPSw24%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGt8r78PDYAhVoCsAKHQVBCkEQ9QEIiAEwDA#imgrc=h4eGaosm9Y5-RM:

In that case you could do. Though I think you would have to do it yourself, an electrician probably wouldn't do it for you as against regs.

Yeah, I'd get a Sparks to fit a standard single socket and change the plate after.

givecredit wrote: »
    I have one plugged into Hallway socket in my parents. (Using the supplied international adapter) It really does not stick out much. Just the depth of the adapter. The Hub also acts as a night light connected to Body Sensor. So the fact its out from the wall by an extra circa 2cm adds to the light it provides.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=chinese+adapter&rlz=1C1CAFB_enIE662IE662&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=6yFMHdQe1uGkwM%253A%252C3imEvXGAkUi7XM%252C_&usg=__qCLlUxtG0aNu0aWG5u4sfzPSw24%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGt8r78PDYAhVoCsAKHQVBCkEQ9QEIiAEwDA#imgrc=h4eGaosm9Y5-RM:

Hmm, didn't receive any adapter with it.
    My planned location is above a door, so the further out it is the more noticeable it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Anybody have any issues getting the gateway to connect to the network? Ended up resetting my gateway, and ever since cannot get the gateway to connect. When I try with the app it gets to 90% then times out. Thing is though if I try with a tethered phone it works fine - can't leave my phone tethered all the time though. Have tried resetting the gateway about 20 times, but still the same story.

Advertisement