Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Smart Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

tipperary wrote: »
    Anybody have any issues getting the gateway to connect to the network? Ended up resetting my gateway, and ever since cannot get the gateway to connect. When I try with the app it gets to 90% then times out. Thing is though if I try with a tethered phone it works fine - can't leave my phone tethered all the time though. Have tried resetting the gateway about 20 times, but still the same story.

Just shooting in the dark, but would it have anything to do with connecting to 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Thanks iba. Tried setting router to just 2.4 (which is what my mobile was set at for tethering) but get the same result unfortunately.

Might look into samsung smartthings if there are any offers going on it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Hi, 
    I just received my Xiaomi gw, put it has a Chinese plug, what type of adapter should i buy ? thanks  440112.jpg however

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Most generic international to UK travel adaptors will work fine. The likes of Dealz, etc. would normally have them if you are looking for somewhere local.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

bk wrote: »
    Most generic international to UK travel adaptors will work fine. The likes of Dealz, etc. would normally have them if you are looking for somewhere local.

I found that some of the adapters that I had a home didn't support 3 pin chinese plugs, so just be careful of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

thebackbar wrote: »
    Hi, 
    I just received my Xiaomi gw, put it has a Chinese plug, what type of adapter should i buy ? thanks  440112.jpg however

Backbar that looks to be the the Aqara Air-Conditioner gateway. Its rated @16A and I think that the pins may be bigger than the normal gateway pins .

It may not fit into a normal travel adaptor . Hope it does work out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

so
    matrim wrote: »

I found that some of the adapters that I had a home didn't support 3 pin chinese plugs, so just be careful of that.
    Sorry to be a pain here, i wasn't able to find a suitable adapter in any shop locally, i also tried a skross global adapter. The pins on these devices seem wider than the standard AU pins ? does anyone have a reference to an adapter that could work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

thebackbar wrote: »
    so

Sorry to be a pain here, i wasn't able to find a suitable adapter in any shop locally, i also tried a skross global adapter. The pins on these devices seem wider than the standard AU pins ? does anyone have a reference to an adapter that could work ?

I picked one up in my local centra but unfortunately I don't have the name

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Anybody got any of the cameras connected to their setup? There are a few different Xiaomi cameras on the usual sites but knowing their track history with the cameras in their phones (i.e. a waste of time in low light) I’m looking for real world recommendations/experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

theteal wrote: »
    Anybody got any of the cameras connected to their setup? There are a few different Xiaomi cameras on the usual sites but knowing their track history with the cameras in their phones (i.e. a waste of time in low light) I’m looking for real world recommendations/experience

A review of all the cameras here, there is also a second with the specs of each. The youtube channel is a good one for all Xiaomi related stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

paulbok wrote: »
    It's a single wall plate I'm thinking of, but I might also try that idea with a European power strip for some of the hubs etc, I have. Mess of adapters at the moment in my comms press. Something like this

Actually had a multi socket tower hiding in the office that has multi region outlets, so will take our 3 pin, euro 2 pin and the Xiaomi gateway as well so got that hub setup no problem.
    Similar to this [URL="LESHP Power Surge Protector Multi Plug Socket Vertical Power Strip Compact 7 Way Outlets with 2 USB Ports Fireproof, UK Power (grey) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTPCD9C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5eVCAb1V15S20"]type[/URL], 6 outlets and 2 USB outlets as well so will swap this with the multi socket in use in my comms press.

I have the Xiaomi small ants 720p cam. If I was getting one today I would get Mijia 1080p one for about 30 USD.

THE ALM wrote: »
    A review of all the cameras here, there is also a second with the specs of each. The youtube channel is a good one for all Xiaomi related stuff.
    iba wrote: »
    I have the Xiaomi small ants 720p cam. If I was getting one today I would get Mijia 1080p one for about 30 USD.

I went for the Dafang for starters, I'm sure I'll be increasing the collection in time.

Another Q. Looking at a few door sensors - do I need to add a switch to "arm" them? Can it be done via the app?

I went for the Dafang for starters, I'm sure I'll be increasing the collection in time.

Another Q. Looking at a few door sensors - do I need to add a switch to "arm" them? Can it be done via the app?

I forgot, I also have the Yi outdoor cam but haven't set it up yet and another small ants one but global version (the one I have set up is Chinese version).

No, you don't need a switch, just the gateway and app.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Though the switch is very cheap and worth it for arming/disarming IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I have the Dafang, but despite trying different routers and set ups I am unable to get it to work :(:(:(

MoodeRator wrote: »
    I have the Dafang, but despite trying different routers and set ups I am unable to get it to work :(:(:(

I may add a switch or two to my next order when I need to get a camera that works - hopefully my one works though :(

I didn't know you can do that. So you can press the switch to arm and disarm all sensors. I'll have to learn how to do that.

I didn't know you can do that. So you can press the switch to arm and disarm all sensors. I'll have to learn how to do that.

Yes, pretty straight forward.

Add the button in the Xiaomi App and then create two automations on the button:

- If button single press, arm gateway
    - If button double pressed, disarm gateway

Separately under the Security settings section, you can set a 30 second exit delay before the system arms.

Setting an entry delay is more complicated and a bit buggy, requires work arounds.

Separately under the Security settings section, you can set a 30 second exit delay before the system arms.

Setting an entry delay is more complicated and a bit buggy, requires work arounds.

Thanks. I take it that that only affects the door and window sensors and not other gadgets like smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm.

• Advertisement

Ok, done all that except the entry delay.

But I don't know/don't understand what is actually 'armed'/'disarmed'. How can I see what is 'armed'/'disarmed'?

Ok, done all that except the entry delay.

But I don't know/don't understand what is actually 'armed'/'disarmed'. How can I see what is 'armed'/'disarmed'?

Have you set up the security system on it?

In the App:
    1) Click Auto
    2) Click Alert
    3) Click Alert trigger condition
    4) Select which sensors can trigger the alarm
    5) Go back and also set the Delay effective time
    6) Under "more settings" you can set the Alarm volume, siren, etc.

You can then arm/disarm the alarm system from the first page:
    "Alert Disabled - Tap to enable it" click this and it will arm the system.

You should play around with, just set the alarm volume low and try activating it, triggering the alarm, etc.

Have you set up the security system on it?

In the App:
    1) Click Auto
    2) Click Alert
    3) Click Alert trigger condition
    4) Select which sensors can trigger the alarm
    5) Go back and also set the Delay effective time
    6) Under "more settings" you can set the Alarm volume, siren, etc.

You can then arm/disarm the alarm system from the first page:
    "Alert Disabled - Tap to enable it" click this and it will arm the system.

You should play around with, just set the alarm volume low and try activating it, triggering the alarm, etc.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I actually did all that when I was playing around with it last night but for example, if I clicked Disable and then opened the front door, the alarm still went off.

I'm thinking now that I have to cancel the individual command/scene that I have assigned to the front door sensor. EG, atm I have the front door sensor set to set-off the alarm when triggered. So I should cancel this command (and cancel all the commands that I have assigned to all the other door and window sensors)?

I hope that makes sense?

iba yes, to start with, delete all the other routines (except for the button arm/disarm ones you just created) and let the auto -> alert page handle it instead.

Once you have that done and working you can add other routines if you want. For instead send an alert if window left open, etc. But get the basics working first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So i ordered 5 of the door sensors and the hub. Now to forget all about them until they arrive in a few months time.

So all the sensors arrived last week and i managed to get them set up over the weekend. It was easier than expected to get them set up.

I assume to have the sensors connected to Hue i need to set up the home assistant. And hence a raspberry pi is required. these were some expensive €6 door sensors

So all the sensors arrived last week and i managed to get them set up over the weekend. It was easier than expected to get them set up.

I assume to have the sensors connected to Hue i need to set up the home assistant. And hence a raspberry pi is required. these were some expensive €6 door sensors

You can also you use Domoticz and a pi I believe. I'm doing that but I also have ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i see mozilla's web of things has come to rapsberry pi. but i dont see support of xiaomi in their list of supported devices.
    https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/02/how-to-build-your-own-private-smart-home-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-mozillas-things-gateway/

i see mozilla's web of things has come to rapsberry pi. but i dont see support of xiaomi in their list of supported devices.
    https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/02/how-to-build-your-own-private-smart-home-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-mozillas-things-gateway/

Well if you have a Raspberry Pi you could always stick Home Assistant (hass.io) on it and MQTT and this will allow you to talk to the Xiaomi Gateway and use the sensors for other HA tasks.

• Advertisement

Well if you have a Raspberry Pi you could always stick Home Assistant (hass.io) on it and MQTT and this will allow you to talk to the Xiaomi Gateway and use the sensors for other HA tasks.

i have the older pi. may be pi2.
    tried to install hass once and gave up.
    also tried domoticz and gave up due to installation issues.
    may be i have to get the newer pi for my setup.

Advertisement