Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Smart Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

matrim wrote: »
    Does the hub work over WiFi or do you need a wired connection (like the hue hub)?

Wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Been looking at a few of these items as well and just wondering before taking the plunge if the light switches require a neutral if replacing existing switches?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

THE ALM wrote: »
    Been looking at a few of these items as well and just wondering before taking the plunge if the light switches require a neutral if replacing existing switches?

Thanks
    2 types: wireless and wired. Wireless is battery operated so no.
    And according to this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103515689&postcount=21
    wired version doesnt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    2 types: wireless and wired. Wireless is battery operated so no.
    And according to this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103515689&postcount=21
    wired version doesnt either.

That what I was thinking as I don't see a neutral being mentioned and it would be the wired version I would be more interested in. Will probably take a chance on them and trial them out, if I could replace a couple of switches with these and integrate with HA then I could look to add to it.

Also mentioned in another post but I am keeping an eye out to see how the Echo Plus performs when it is launched, with the built in zigbee hub it could be a great way of controlling these without having to get a separate hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Just got an update to the yeelight app - big improvement in UI and much more responsive in terms of the lights responding to controls. I reckon they must be sending the commands over the local Lan now instead. Certainly the music mode is very responsive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

ShRT wrote:
    Just got an update to the yeelight app - big improvement in UI and much more responsive in terms of the lights responding to controls. I reckon they must be sending the commands over the local Lan now instead. Certainly the music mode is very responsive

Do you use this with a Yeelight lamp or a bulb?

I've a bulb but I control it with the MiHome app.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

THE ALM wrote: »
    That what I was thinking as I don't see a neutral being mentioned and it would be the wired version I would be more interested in. Will probably take a chance on them and trial them out, if I could replace a couple of switches with these and integrate with HA then I could look to add to it.
    Yes, No neutral is required for the wired version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Received half my order today and got hit with a €28 vat and customs bill as well as a DHL admin charge for clearing it. Gonna be 50 so for the remaining kit to arrive.

Anyone know if I select the free shipping (2-3 weeks) on Gearbest, does it avoid these charges. Esp pissed at the 14.50 from dhl

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Eckk that sucks :(

Looks like I'll order future sensors for it one by one to stay under the customs charge.

bk wrote: »
    Eckk that sucks :(

Looks like I'll order future sensors for it one by one to stay under the customs charge.

Yeah, that's the way to go, anything under €22 Inc shipping and insurance is exempt.
    Anything over that, I'll take the longer free shipping and avoid DHL altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Managed to source some switches and keep them under the 22 limit. Where's the best ace to buy the hub though? Struggling a little to find one

paulbok wrote: »
    Received half my order today and got hit with a €28 vat and customs bill as well as a DHL admin charge for clearing it. Gonna be 50 so for the remaining kit to arrive.

Anyone know if I select the free shipping (2-3 weeks) on Gearbest, does it avoid these charges. Esp pissed at the 14.50 from dhl

All my order have been over the customs limit and i've never got done. Always picked the cheapest shipping option though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Does the gateway come with an Irish / UK plug or do you need an adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Does the gateway come with an Irish / UK plug or do you need an adapter?

It comes with an adaptor, but in my case the adaptor was a yank one, I had a chinese-uk one knocking about in work (got mine in gearbest)

beanian wrote: »
    All my order have been over the customs limit and i've never got done. Always picked the cheapest shipping option though

Will try that next time on any order I can't keep under €22.

Still waiting on my hub in the other half of the order, no sign of it shipping yet so can do jack with the other bits until then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi, just came across this thread and just wanted to say I have loads of this Xiaomi gear. In addition to items mentioned I have the smoke alarm, gas detector, the cube, weighing scales, mi band and more and I love the lot of them.
    Simone asked earlier about is an adapter needed for the hub. Yes it is, the hub has Chinese/Australian pins. I do not recommend using any of the Chinese adapters that come with it, go out and buy the one that conforms with UK bbsb standards (hope you know what I mean). I found good quality ones in Dealz pound shop in the street between Liffey street and Henry Street, can't think of the name.

As someone else mentioned, buy below the customs limit. Buy your items a couple of days apart in case they get bundled together. I use gearbest, geekbuying, banggood, AliExpress and www.geecr.com I shop around, which ever is the cheapest.
    I remembered I also have yi IP cam which I've also integrated with the hub and looking at getting the new Yee outdoor cam. Will also look at getting the Xiaomi AI available on one of the above sites now at 67 euro. Also I like the Xiaomi alarm clock. For those who worry about the gateway protruding you can always get the mi gangway and cut off the plug and put on our type.
    I haven't got any of the Aqara wall switches but I'm very interested in getting them now after reading some of you guys have them. Can you recommend which ones to get.
    So many Xiaomi, Mi, Yi, Yee, Mijia stuff I do get confused.

iba wrote: »
    So many Xiaomi, Mi, Yi, Yee, Mijia stuff I do get confused.

And you sound like an expert on it! :eek: :D

Welcome

bk wrote: »
    And you sound like an expert on it! :eek: :D

Welcome

Lol, far from it.

Also have a mi router. Xiaomi temperature and humidity thing. And I think I have an extra Mi Gateway.

Also into mi lights and have the mi light version 6 hub and loads of led strips.

I haven't got any of the Aqara wall switches but I'm very interested in getting them now after reading some of you guys have them. Can you recommend which ones to get.
    Go for the aqara wall switches (wired https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html).
    I have a mix of the wired and wireless (when using hue bulbs) and they work great. They also fit irish backboxes perfectly. See my post a few pages back with pictures and more links etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Go for the aqara wall switches (wired https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html).
    I have a mix of the wired and wireless (when using hue bulbs) and they work great. They also fit irish backboxes perfectly. See my post a few pages back with pictures and more links etc.

there appear to be two types.. live/neutral ... and live only .. presume normal light switch is live/neutral?

(or is that when there are two switches in different parts of the room for one light... e.g. upstairs/downstairs switches for the hall light?)

Hi Beanian,
    Thanks for your reply, unfortunately that link brought me to a dead page.
    I read that you use Home Assistant, I tried installing it last night but failed - failed to config error, or something like that. If I can't install the s/w I wonder how good the program actually is.
    I have used Domoticz before, which in your opinion is better?
    Thanks

nhur wrote: »
    there appear to be two types.. live/neutral ... and live only .. presume normal light switch is live/neutral?

(or is that when there are two switches in different parts of the room for one light... e.g. upstairs/downstairs switches for the hall light?)
    These do not require a neutral (at least the ones I have anyway), you can control 2 loads , one from each toggle.

Hi Beanian,
    I read that you use Home Assistant, I tried installing it last night but failed - failed to config error, or something like that. If I can't install the s/w I wonder how good the program actually is.
    Thanks
    never used Domoticz. I'm running home assistant in a docker container and it is was very easy to setup. There is a hass thread on here you might find some help with the issue you had

Hi Beanian,
    Thanks

If you have a raspberry pi then using the hassio image is the easiest way to get up and running with Home Assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

nhur wrote: »

From what I understand, the 'zero line' versions are a little cheaper but require a neutral, which most Irish houses won't have. The 'fire line' versions are live only, which suits Irish homes.

Just ordered the kit with the hub, 2 door sensors and the button. What's the usual shipping time from gearbest (for free shipping)?

Xiaomi Spain open but I cant see the prices:

https://xiaomi-mi.es/

I'm tempted to get this:

https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_978606.html

or the 1080p is on sale atm at:

https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_615275.html

I'd also love this for blinds in teh kitchen:

https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_626697.html

Is this the switch that is recommended:

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html

Thought of two more Xiaomi things I have, the plant thing which tests the water and minerals in the soil of the plant and the MI wifi-extender.

Just ordered the kit with the hub, 2 door sensors and the button. What's the usual shipping time from gearbest (for free shipping)?

hate to be teh bearer of bad news, but you might get hit with customs on that - I think its better to buy the pieces seperatly.

As for shipping, if it ships before Saturday (11/11 China singles day) it will probably take two or three weeks - if it ships after Saturday, god only knows how long it will take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Xiaomi Spain open but I cant see the prices:

https://xiaomi-mi.es/

I'm tempted to get this:

https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_978606.html

Hmnn, that doesn't work with Google Home does it? I'm thinking that's a no.

Advertisement