Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emtec

Does agreement to agree come under Offer and Acceptance? I see it came up in Q1 Spring 2018 but I can't find any mention of it in the manual

Yeah it's offer and acceptance. Probably not in the manual because it's a minor area that doesn't come up very often. Know the gist of it and have a key case. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

Hi everyone! As a long time creeper of this thread, and having now passed all 8 Fe1s in 3 sittings, I thought I would just throw in my 2 cents.

First I'd like to thank the user @Teamhrach (dont think I can tag here) who left a tip for the equity exam last October, basically saying to make sure and cover joint accounts if you're doing secret trusts. I went back over that and it turned out to come up in the exam! So thank you! :) how do I buy you a pint through this??

The main piece of advice I have for everyone is to expect the unexpected. I failed constitutional first time. Family came up on one question and I hadn't covered it. I felt afterwards it would have been a handy one to do so I covered that chapter for the next sitting, even though it wasn't a banker by any means. And what do you know - two questions on family! Similarly, when I was sitting equity I had a glance over mareva injunctions even though everyone was saying that never ever came up 2 years in a row and the grid showed a pattern of every other year for the past 15 years or something like that. But there it was on the paper, second time running! Again, when I sat EU, the banker question on institutions that always came up was nowhere to be seen.

Of course the grids are highly useful and I relied on them a lot in my studies. But nothing is for sure, you never know that your sitting might be the time a previously predictable examiner might decide to throw a curveball. Beware of mixed questions too. Of course you'll have to cut sections, but you might be very grateful in the paper if you learned even a definition or 2 cases from a weaker topic of yours if it's mixed in with a question about your best topic.

My second main piece of advice is - if you can afford the 115 euro at all, GET THE RECHECK! It's worth the gamble especially if you might lose your training contract or if it's your last exam. Guys, after tort last October sitting, I came out of that exam hall so depressed I went home and ate McDonalds out of the bag under the duvet. And if that's not a cry for help! It was no surprise that I failed that exam - and not by a narrow margin. I had no intention of rechecking but was encouraged to do so, so I sent in the application and the cheque the day before the deadline. And miracle of miracles, I came up 15 per cent! There are probably factors in the marking scheme that we aren't aware of at all - I wouldn't be surprised if in some instances they bump people up over the line if more people than average have failed or if they're getting complaints from law firms whose intake plans are being messed up. So do seriously consider applying for a recheck even if you're sure there's no hope.

Aside from that, it's really about putting in the tedious hours and learning off by heart all the cases. Some people get all 8 in two sittings, for others a certain exam just catches them several times. Remember that there is a huge element of luck to how nice a paper you get (pass rates fluctuate every year) and if your desired topics come up - your result is probably even affected by the examiner's mood or how your paper compares to the papers corrected immediately before it. So it's really a measure of chance more than anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Hi everyone! As a long time creeper of this thread, and having now passed all 8 Fe1s in 3 sittings, I thought I would just throw in my 2 cents.

First I'd like to thank the user @Teamhrach (dont think I can tag here) who left a tip for the equity exam last October, basically saying to make sure and cover joint accounts if you're doing secret trusts. I went back over that and it turned out to come up in the exam! So thank you! :) how do I buy you a pint through this??

The main piece of advice I have for everyone is to expect the unexpected. I failed constitutional first time. Family came up on one question and I hadn't covered it. I felt afterwards it would have been a handy one to do so I covered that chapter for the next sitting, even though it wasn't a banker by any means. And what do you know - two questions on family! Similarly, when I was sitting equity I had a glance over mareva injunctions even though everyone was saying that never ever came up 2 years in a row and the grid showed a pattern of every other year for the past 15 years or something like that. But there it was on the paper, second time running! Again, when I sat EU, the banker question on institutions that always came up was nowhere to be seen.

Of course the grids are highly useful and I relied on them a lot in my studies. But nothing is for sure, you never know that your sitting might be the time a previously predictable examiner might decide to throw a curveball. Beware of mixed questions too. Of course you'll have to cut sections, but you might be very grateful in the paper if you learned even a definition or 2 cases from a weaker topic of yours if it's mixed in with a question about your best topic.

My second main piece of advice is - if you can afford the 115 euro at all, GET THE RECHECK! It's worth the gamble especially if you might lose your training contract or if it's your last exam. Guys, after tort last October sitting, I came out of that exam hall so depressed I went home and ate McDonalds out of the bag under the duvet. And if that's not a cry for help! It was no surprise that I failed that exam - and not by a narrow margin. I had no intention of rechecking but was encouraged to do so, so I sent in the application and the cheque the day before the deadline. And miracle of miracles, I came up 15 per cent! There are probably factors in the marking scheme that we aren't aware of at all - I wouldn't be surprised if in some instances they bump people up over the line if more people than average have failed or if they're getting complaints from law firms whose intake plans are being messed up. So do seriously consider applying for a recheck even if you're sure there's no hope.

Aside from that, it's really about putting in the tedious hours and learning off by heart all the cases. Some people get all 8 in two sittings, for others a certain exam just catches them several times. Remember that there is a huge element of luck to how nice a paper you get (pass rates fluctuate every year) and if your desired topics come up - your result is probably even affected by the examiner's mood or how your paper compares to the papers corrected immediately before it. So it's really a measure of chance more than anything else!

Thank you for taking the time to write this out, needed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HenryHodgson

Hi guys,

Could a kind soul pls let me know what came in EU in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Hey guys,

Does anyone have sample answers for constitutional for sale/ swap for 2015-2018? Finding it very hard to identify issues and am concerned my manual doesn’t cover some stuff that comes up quite a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Can anyone offer me advice for contract law?

I have notes typed out for;

Offer/ acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Mistake
    Terms
    Consumer law (haven't actually done notes on this yet but plan to)
    Discharge
    Remedies
    Excl clauses
    Undue Influence (plan to do notes on this)
    Capacity
    Misrepresentation

Am I covered for the exam if I learn? Any other topics that I should include or omit from study?

I have just a 2nd hand manual to go from so no grid or no sample answers so if any kind soul could please help me? Even just a single sample answer for problem question and essay so I know what way to approach the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ethan90

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for constitutional.

I've passed my last 6 Fe1's fairly easy but with constitutional It seems like there is just an insane amount of content.

In fairness I feel that EU has a completely undeserved reputation, I was able to pass it with about a third of the notes and cases I currently have for constitutional and that is a very condensed list considering how specific the questions seem.

Do people learn a full page on potentially 100 cases for those case note questions or am I confused on how to answer them?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Anybody have a decent criminal grid?

I have criminal notes, constitutional notes and property notes to swap

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Thank you for this!

lawless11 wrote: »
    Hello there. Anyone would have any summarised/typed notes for Constitutional or Tort please ? Can exchange against grids or other things (passed 5). You'd save a full-time working soul.

Got notes on adverts off a couple of people they’re good enough I
    Think, saving few weeks work anyway

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me some tips for constitutional law? It’s just massive. Are people reading books/online resources? Or just manuals

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gomzu

kasey0123 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me some tips for constitutional law? It’s just massive. Are people reading books/online resources? Or just manuals

I passed constitutional first time after having not done it in 5/6 years. Honestly the manual are all you need! Also try to get hold of notes from some of the fe1 courses if you can, as in my experience they were very exam focused, in particular the FE1 course I did. Also can’t recommend the night before notes enough if you’re stuck for time and trying to cram!!

One thing that has been recommended a lot in this form is the Supreme Court book. I found personally that it helped me understand cases like McGee and Pringle and generally just made constitutional seem much more manageable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Smiley283 wrote: »
    Can anyone offer me advice for contract law?

I have notes typed out for;

Offer/ acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Mistake
    Terms
    Consumer law (haven't actually done notes on this yet but plan to)
    Discharge
    Remedies
    Excl clauses
    Undue Influence (plan to do notes on this)
    Capacity
    Misrepresentation

Am I covered for the exam if I learn? Any other topics that I should include or omit from study?

I have just a 2nd hand manual to go from so no grid or no sample answers so if any kind soul could please help me? Even just a single sample answer for problem question and essay so I know what way to approach the questions

Privity is a common essay that didn't come up last sitting - worth a look

Gomzu wrote: »
    I passed constitutional first time after having not done it in 5/6 years. Honestly the manual are all you need! Also try to get hold of notes from some of the fe1 courses if you can, as in my experience they were very exam focused, in particular the FE1 course I did. Also can’t recommend the night before notes enough if you’re stuck for time and trying to cram!!

One thing that has been recommended a lot in this form is the Supreme Court book. I found personally that it helped me understand cases like McGee and Pringle and generally just made constitutional seem much more manageable!!

Thanks for this, Constitutional is the one that's scaring me most. Did you find with answering the questions (not so much the rights based questions but the more theory side ones) that there's a lot less case law than some exams like tort and contract and a lot more Constitution based info and such or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Thanks for this! Is the Supreme Court book you are referring to by Ruadhan Mac Cormaic or which one is it?

scooby321 wrote: »
    Thanks for this! Is the Supreme Court book you are referring to by Ruadhan Mac Cormaic or which one is it?

I hope it is as I ordered that 5 minutes ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gomzu

Thanks for this, Constitutional is the one that's scaring me most. Did you find with answering the questions (not so much the rights based questions but the more theory side ones) that there's a lot less case law than some exams like tort and contract and a lot more Constitution based info and such or am I missing something?

In my experience definitely! In the October 2018 sitting the question I did on natural law probably had at most 5 cases, with a lot of my personal opinion throw in!! I think the issue with constitutional is that you have to really actually understand the judgements, which can be very different to a lot of the other exams like tort where it is just rite learning (in my experience!). I think what’s really important in constitutional is to offer an opinion/ view on theory, cases etc, and that’s what I tried to do for my paper.

Also, yes the Supreme Court book is by Ruadhán Mac Cormaic!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

In my experience definitely! In the October 2018 sitting the question I did on natural law probably had at most 5 cases, with a lot of my personal opinion throw in!! I think the issue with constitutional is that you have to really actually understand the judgements, which can be very different to a lot of the other exams like tort where it is just rite learning (in my experience!). I think what’s really important in constitutional is to offer an opinion/ view on theory, cases etc, and that’s what I tried to do for my paper.

Great, thanks very much!

Ok well that's good to know, feels strange being allowed to give opinions when it was beat out of us in undergrad level! I completely get what you mean with tort in comparison, you could have 5 cases just for where a bouncer assaults someone in Vicarious Liability as only a quater of the question versus as you said a theory based question where there are only 5 core cases. Thanks again for the help (and book recommendation)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

It's getting a joke at this stage no examiner reports....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Are the following all the topics within trial in due course?
    - presumption of innocence
    - right to silence
    - delay and right to expeditious trial
    - duty to seek and preserve evidence
    - adverse pre-trial proceedings
    - unconstitutionally obtained evidence

is there anything I've missed or is that all the examinable topics?

Hello fellow nerds,

Does anyone have the list of topics which came up in the Company exam last time round?

Thanks <3

Hello fellow nerds,

Does anyone have the list of topics which came up in the Company exam last time round?

Thanks <3

I listed it all a few pages back, should be quite helpful!

Pyggg wrote: »
    It's getting a joke at this stage no examiner reports....

Hey - I called the Law Society yesterday about the exam reports and the lady was so nice and posted the whole lot of them out to my house for nothing! Got them today in a little book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

lisac223 wrote: »
    Hey - I called the Law Society yesterday about the exam reports and the lady was so nice and posted the whole lot of them out to my house for nothing! Got them today in a little book :)

So if they have them why are they not up online?! Madness.
    Thanks for letting me know, I'll get onto them now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Hi, Can anyone give me advice on how to cut down corporate borrowing for company law, I have like 35 pages of notes on it and have never covered it before so am unsure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

would people say that it is necessary to cover the chapter on religion for constitutional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emtec

lisac223 wrote: »

What name did you give? George Clooney or Javier Bardem?

I listed it all a few pages back, should be quite helpful!

Thank you!

• Advertisement

Pyggg wrote: »
    So if they have them why are they not up online?! Madness.
    Thanks for letting me know, I'll get onto them now! :)

Yeah I asked her and she said they would be up online next week. Maybe the Law Society has a slow scanner up there!? lol no worries!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement