Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Smiley283 wrote: »
    I'm just curious to know- do many of you here use mind maps to memorise chapters/ essays?

I could never memorize any other way! Im so jealous of people you can read/hear something and know it!

I'm the same. Diagrams all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Pyggg wrote: »
    Would anyone have the Criminal Examiner Reports from October 2018 to send me? Can send you things from any other subject :)

Hey! I have these! Would you have any sample answers for constitutional could swap for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Does anyone have the criminal, equity and property past papers from Autumn 2018?

I can provide up-to-date grids (excluding the above round of exams) in exchange!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Hi all, was hoping to get a bit of info if any of you could help. I have completed 7 of my 8 fe1's I am due to sit the last in March. Problem is that I have very recently got a job offer in the UK which is pretty attractive. I am basically wondering how long do I have to sit the last exam. Passed the first three last March. If I take the job I may get the opertunity to sit the exam in 18 to 24 months but I want to know incase things arise ect what is the maximum amount of time I have to sit the last one before the other 7 expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Townton wrote: »
    Hi all, was hoping to get a bit of info if any of you could help. I have completed 7 of my 8 fe1's I am due to sit the last in March. Problem is that I have very recently got a job offer in the UK which is pretty attractive. I am basically wondering how long do I have to sit the last exam. Passed the first three last March. If I take the job I may get the opertunity to sit the exam in 18 to 24 months but I want to know incase things arise ect what is the maximum amount of time I have to sit the last one before the other 7 expire.

As far as I'm aware you have 5 years running from when you get the first magic 3 so if you passed the first 3 March 2018 seems like you would have til March 2023. Fair play on the new job, sounds really interesting. I would take it and make sure and email Law Society enquiring how long they are valid for so you can point to that if any hassle in future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

People who have sat Tort and got their exam script back what seems to get marks in tort? I've just started studying it and have so much to cover want to know what exactly they are looking for. What level of detail you included and what did you get marked for it. Reports have so little info for tort. I'm really struggling at the moment so would really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kasper4

Looking for a torts grid. Have recent grids for other subjects. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

user115 wrote: »
    People who have sat Tort and got their exam script back what seems to get marks in tort? I've just started studying it and have so much to cover want to know what exactly they are looking for. What level of detail you included and what did you get marked for it. Reports have so little info for tort. I'm really struggling at the moment so would really appreciate it :)

I would love info on this too, tort is terrifying and I can't stomach the idea of trying to learn 15-20 topics at 20 cases each!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emtec

I would love info on this too, tort is terrifying and I can't stomach the idea of trying to learn 15-20 topics at 20 cases each!

I passed tort last year with about ten cases on the entire script. For some of them I didn't even have the name, I just called them 'the Steven Berkoff' case or 'the RTE case. It was my first exam and I thought it went awful'. I think I had 4 full days of study. 50% on the nose.

Emtec wrote: »
    I passed tort last year with about ten cases on the entire script. For some of them I didn't even have the name, I just called them 'the Steven Berkoff' case or 'the RTE case. It was my first exam and I thought it went awful'. I think I had 4 full days of study. 50% on the nose.

Wow, and did you really know your stuff theory wise in and out? They must have been 2 page answers? That sounds mad. By any chance were you answering questions on really specific topics like defamation and Occupiers liability? I just fear going near a really broad topics like Causation and remoteness as you couldn't bluff it with a couple cases alone. Thanks for the inspiration also, always good to know it's possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Hi all first time sitting exams and was planning to sit four the whole time however only writing up third subject this week. Just wondering peoples thoughts on sitting first time three or four exams? Thanks

Amanda226 wrote: »
    Hi all first time sitting exams and was planning to sit four the whole time however only writing up third subject this week. Just wondering peoples thoughts on sitting first time three or four exams? Thanks

Do the four, while the logic of sitting 3 and getting 3 sounds good, I've too many friends who tried that and got 2 exams in the high 60s but then had a stinker be it for bad luck on their topics or just a bad day (maybe sleep deprivation) and got 45+ but not enough. If you have the 4 you know you have a buffer of one to get on the ladder. Just my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FE1s2018

What are people focusing on for Equity? Does anyone have a grid? I can swap for grids in other subjects. Thanks.

FE1s2018 wrote: »
    What are people focusing on for Equity? Does anyone have a grid? I can swap for grids in other subjects. Thanks.

I can only offer somewhat of a warning, focus on what comes up a lot rather than what's due if you get me? Last sitting of equity which I did, everyone (or a lot - myself nearly included) got caught as she repeated Mareva (the only one I didnt do) for the first repeat in 17 sittings, did Estoppel and Undue Influence 2 years in a row with a funny spin etc. That being said Specific Performance is definitely a good shout for your sitting as is three certainties and quia timet / mandatory injunctions and perhaps constructive trusts. While I sound like I'm contradicting myself what I mean is have those to your best level and off the top of your head (kinda things you'll walk in, see and be chuffed) and have a wide knowledge of everything else.

From seeing my last set of papers, having 30 cases for a question might get you 14 but 10 good relevant cases can still get you 12/13 so you're better off with 3 topics to the level of 10 than 1 to 30 cases is all I'll say!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

Amanda226 wrote: »

Definitely recommend persevering with the 4. While focusing on 3 might seem like the best allocation of your time at this point, just 1 bad paper and you'll be resitting all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PuffleHuffLyra

Is anyone willing to share a pdf of the 2018 October's examiner report for Constitutional?

can anyone tell me why/how the Heaney test of proportionality has been inconsistently applied? Can't understand the manuals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

EU - does anybody have a summary on the 2014 White Paper on Merger Control? My manual makes no reference to it, and I know it came up in Spring 2017. Would really appreciate any insight anyone can offer

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Did inchoate offences come up last year in criminal does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamesob123

Would anyone happen to have sample answers for the most recent company papers?

I can give you grids/ samples/ manuals for EU, Equity & Tort in return.

Thanks! <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Did inchoate offences come up last year in criminal does anybody know?

yes, Q5 and Q7

holliek wrote: »
    can anyone tell me why/how the Heaney test of proportionality has been inconsistently applied? Can't understand the manuals etc

I was struggling too and I still don't fully grasp but this is quite a good case by case look at the inconsistency and a comparison of Heaney and Tuohy.

http://www.ijsj.ie/assets/uploads/documents/pdfs/2008-Edition-01/article/the-proportionality-test-present-problems.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    I note that essay is headed that it is exclusively for Griffith College students.
    Mods here like to encourage all forms of legal scholarship but I wonder if Brian Foley has agreed to his most erudite essay being on Boards?

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    I note that essay is headed that it is exclusively for Griffith College students.
    Mods here like to encourage all forms of legal scholarship but I wonder if Brian Foley has agreed to his most erudite essay being on Boards?

I wondered if that would be an issue also, but I have no Griffith association and I found it from a cursory google search. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that would mean it was fine, should I edit it out?

- I found another with no such heading so I'm swapping the link for that one.

nuac wrote: »
    Mod

Yeah unusual as although it states to only be for Griffith students, but it comes up as one of the first results on Google about proportionality in Ireland and is also free to view on his website..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TomRed3

Does anyone have up-to-date grids for EU and Constitutional? I have some for Tort and Contract. I also have grids for Company, Equity, Property and Criminal but haven't updated them since the last set of exams. Pm me if anyone wants to swap

What's everyone's view on the changes to the 8th in Constitutional, is the whole topic out the window do you think because its been addressed or is it possible they could ask something given its the first exam since the changes?

What's everyone's view on the changes to the 8th in Constitutional, is the whole topic out the window do you think because its been addressed or is it possible they could ask something given its the first exam since the changes?

I was thinking this too. Because its now legal I'm not sure how applicable the case law is so you would think it mightn't come up. The only way I can see it appearing is through an essay like discuss the developments re ...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

What are people’s thoughts on family for constitutional, given it’s appearance twice in the last sitting? I feel it may be too obvious to cut it out

• Advertisement

holliek wrote: »
    I was thinking this too. Because its now legal I'm not sure how applicable the case law is so you would think it mightn't come up. The only way I can see it appearing is through an essay like discuss the developments re ...

That's exactly what I'm thinking, the way it could have come up would have been a problem question but now such a problem isn't really a problem? I was thinking the exact same, chart the developments until now, but even then it seems a little pointless too doesn't it?

I only have a 2017 manual so if anyone has one since the law it would be a huge help if they could share how they consider it in the manual now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement