Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For something different maybe try Golf Story. Really enjoyed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

For something different maybe try Golf Story. Really enjoyed that one.

Ya I've seen that mentioned on few sites. Its very hard to know what to make of so many these games when they look like something from childhood days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Pokemon lets go is a great game got me right nostalgic if you ever played the older games.

The newer southpark game on it is excellent if you haven't played it. Its plays so well on the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Calhoun wrote: »
    Pokemon lets go is a great game got me right nostalgic if you ever played the older games.

The newer southpark game on it is excellent if you haven't played it. Its plays so well on the switch.

My gf has pokemon so might give it a go eventually from listening to her talking about it seems its not as fleshed out as usual pokemon games.

I've played both South park games on ps4 there class!

Zelda is the obvious one I feel I should play I guess the fact I've never played one kinda makes me wonder if I've missed to much!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That's like asking if you've missed much by not watching Breaking Bad. Yes you have. But playing the last game doesn't give you the same experience as playing the previous games nor does it necessarily hold up in isolation, and if anything you will enjoy BotW more if you see how they managed to make such an unZelda-y game Zelda-y by first enjoying the context of what came before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

BotW is a game that does not ask that you have ever played one from the series before.
    But not playing it means missing out on, easily, one of the best games ever made, to date.
    Celeste and Dead Cells are also well worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Left the joycons off the switch for a day, now when I go to use them the right joycon is not turning on but the left one is fine.
    They both connect and register on the switch but the right joycon does not charge at all. It did start charging after about two hours plugged in to charge but then when I took it off charge it lost power again.
    It seems likely the battery can't hold a charge anymore.
    Has this happened to anyone before? I've had it since July, would I send it back to smyths or deal with Nintendo?
    I looked online for replacement batteries but can't really find much on that. Anyone know of any place selling the batteries?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive been playing BOTW since christmas, i just got a switch off santa ;) and i have to say im loving it, i didnt even realise there was no dungeons in it until i read it on here a few posts back! Just when i think ive seen everything in it something new happens, or i figure out something. The amount of times ive set off across the map to a location that should take me ten minutes to get to and two hours later i still havent got there because ive been distracted by stuff alone they way!

There is so much to it, so much variety in it, i love it. Id recommend it to anyone, everyone should play it.

Im thinking of getting Skyrim when im finished this, i always wanted to play it but never got around to it, has anyone played it on the switch? how does it hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tetris is awesome... just installed it last night, haven't played it since I had the original gameboy. It's one of those games where you take it up to play a quick game before bed, and then you say just one more and suddenly its 3AM :pac:

Lots of new features I found, you can save a piece by putting it in hold, you can now do fancy snake type moves with some of the pieces and move them down through the board. Still getting the hang of these moves, and I've no idea what the right stick is doing with badges, etc Wasn't able to get a win, 3rd was the best I could do, just need to figure out the right stick moves. Going to be a lot of short nights coming up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

jester77 wrote: »
    you can now do fancy snake type moves with some of the pieces and move them down through the board.

AWESOME!

I still cant pull it off though :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got this from amazon as I wanted too download FF9 but had no space.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KXRGM8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Surprised how cheap they are compared too the vita ones, 64 gig for the vita is about 80 euro I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You could have saved more going for the non-switch branded one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYVKNX/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Star Lord wrote: »
    You could have saved more going for the non-switch branded one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYVKNX/

How come there so cheap compared too the vita ones? maybe its because the vita ones are sony branded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,471 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Vita use dedicated Sony cards. As far as I know, there are no third party cards that work on Vita.

The vita ones are a proprietary format, that only works in the Vita. Basically, it's Sony gouging on them.

The ones the Switch uses are just bog standard Micro SD cards, so any Micro SD card should work.

You could get adaptors for the Vita that would allow you to use Micro SD cards too, which would drastically reduce the cost for those:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=vita+memory+card+adaptor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The vita ones are a proprietary format, that only works in the Vita. Basically, it's Sony gouging on them.

The ones the Switch uses are just bog standard Micro SD cards, so any Micro SD card should work.

You could get adaptors for the Vita that would allow you to use Micro SD cards too, which would drastically reduce the cost for those:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=vita+memory+card+adaptor

Do you need hacked firmware for these to work?

Mr E wrote: »
    Vita use dedicated Sony cards. As far as I know, there are no third party cards that work on Vita.

Bastards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yeah, my sisters kid got a Vita and I was buying a card for it for Christmas a few years back. I can't remember the exact price but a 8GB was something like €50!!!!! :eek: It may even have been a 4GB. I can't remember other than it was small and expensive. I told her to sell it and get a DS :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ha, no as in the Vita one you've linked goes in the game slot so presumably you need custom firmware to run it?

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    Ha, no as in the Vita one you've linked goes in the game slot so presumably you need custom firmware to run it?

The vita ones I linked to, to my knowledge, are to replace the (expensive) vita memory cards with SD cards instead. The SD card just needs to be formatted correctly. They're not for pirating games. They do use the game card slot, and require a particular (non-custom/hacked) firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

I have dark souls for playstation. I love rpg s but the style of a lot of them turns me off. I just want something fun that plays well. An awful lot the switch games I dunno what to think of half them there not much to look at but seem to rate well.

Rayman Legends ... is sublime ... and 20 quid too. https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-games/rayman-legends-definitive-edition-switch/p/161423

I feel sorry for ubisoft with this one. They should have sold it to nintendo and let them re-skin it for super mario deluxe 2 whatever for 60 quid and 10 million sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Thinking the current batch of Nintendo controllers are below par.
    Nothing but issues with the joycons.
    D Pad issue with pro controllers.
    All very expensive.

Contrast with the fantastic, solid, better value controllers that came with their older hardware.
    Was using a wiimote on a couple of 2d platformers recently - it's ancient - but it plays beautifully.

Hopefully the rectify this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

See a lot of people give out about the pro controller d-pad.

Interesting fix here: http://www.ateijelo.com/blog/2017/07/12/effective-fix-switch-pro-controller-dpad-issues

I never had an issue with it though. Well not completely true, I had an issue with street fighter on the pro, kept getting jump inputs yet for everything else including Tetris 99 it’s been absolutely fine. I have two and always put the d-pad issue in street fighter down to not playing street fighter on a joypad for like 10+ years ha ha

SF3 was the last one I played on a pad and it was the original Xbox monstrosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Anyone play the Yoshi's Crafted World demo? I thought it was pretty okay but would like to see more before buying. Seemed a little slow paced.

Playing Tropical Freeze at the moment, it's excellent with plenty of challenge. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anyone ever done digital download from Smyths before ?

Bought Pokémon on the website and it says “instantly delivered” and waiting now 30 mins.

“Daddy what’s the surprise daddy what’s the surprise “ now been etched into my brain !

Edit : seemingly they are getting through a backlog or something so never mind be with me shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Picked up Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker in Smyths yesterday evening and it is actually quite a fun game. You can make it harder on yourself if you want to get each challenge in each level that is marked with a tick once completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Trials Rising runs and looks like a pig on Switch. I wish they'd just port HD or Fusion instead as they ran 60fps on X360. I can't clock this but it ain't smooth, especially compared to PS4.
    For me the series should run fine on any modern system as it's not a demanding game but Ubisoft have thrown a load of unnecessary effects & lootboxes at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

How do I buy from nintendo Mexico?
    I saw a link to warplanes ww2 dogfight for 90cents and I followed the instructions, but when I go to add paypal account is says "This PayPal account cannot be used with the current country/region setting for your Nintendo Account.".
    Do I need to buy a mexican eshop card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Listen up, hijo! Any tipo can set up a Pay Pal account with an address in Mexico and use the same address to create your mexican eshop account, hombre. Happy shopping hermano!

(Warning : too much use of the Mexican eshop can have un poco loco effect on a chico's cerebro.)

Advertisement