Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

First impressions of Labo VR? Was tempted to pick it up today in Smyths today but will hold out a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

VR is €69.99 for the full kit in Smyths or €89.99 in Argos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought the starter VR set today and just finished making and trying out the headset.
    And, not too bad.
    Seems a little blurry, but not as much as expected, no more than Drive Club VR on my PSVR.
    There's plenty of promise there, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there is a more robust version available at some point, eiyther by Nintendo themselves or some 3rd party.
    The games are simple and fun, but I look forward to trying the bigger games wlhen I find the will to build the blaster, although the upcoming updates for LoZ and Mario Odyssey have my interest piqued

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I bought the starter VR set today and just finished making and trying out the headset.
    And, not too bad.
    Seems a little blurry, but not as much as expected, no more than Drive Club VR on my PSVR.
    There's plenty of promise there, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there is a more robust version available at some point, eiyther by Nintendo themselves or some 3rd party.
    The games are simple and fun, but I look forward to trying the bigger games wlhen I find the will to build the blaster, although the upcoming updates for LoZ and Mario Odyssey have my interest piqued

Pretty much my impressions too! It's the first Labo kit I've experienced and the onscreen building instructions are so well executed! So much so that I was wishing for a Nintendo/IKEA collaboration by the time I'd finished the goggles.

The VR itself works well and the mini games are good demos of what the technology can do.

Really looking forward to giving Mario and Zelda a try albeit I can't imagine it will be for longer than 10 mins at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Switch Firmware 8.0.0 is out.

- You can sort your games from the full list
    - A bunch of new profile avatars have been added
    - There is a new system transfer function to transfer save data between two switches
    - There is a zoom function to zoom in on the interface.
    - Joycon updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Any stability increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Mr E wrote: »
    Switch Firmware 8.0.0 is out.

- There is a new system transfer function to transfer save data between two switches

Now why on earth might we need that, eh? Gotta be new models incoming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

chrislad wrote: »
    Any stability increase?
    I'm getting disconnected while playing Tetris 99, first time ever it happened during a game. I updated just before. I don't know if it's related, I'm just saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know why, but I was kinda shocked at the sheer size of the Diablo III download size, 13.3GB!
    I had to dip in an delete some stuff to make room for it on the HDD, just hope Cidonalad actually plays it now!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I was kinda shocked at the sheer size of the Diablo III download size, 13.3GB!
    I had to dip in an delete some stuff to make room for it on the HDD, just hope Cidonalad actually plays it now!

Tsch, that's nothing. The 2K games are a 30gb download in addition to the cartridges for the NBA games!

Final Fantasy X/X-2 is about 23gb if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Soo this could be fun to speculate. Retro Studios sent an artwork to Reggie celebrating his retirement, it depicts a lot of Retro's characters. But what is curious is that there is a mysterious robotic hand on the far left of the picture, partly concealed by a statue of Mario. The concealing seems intentional and nobody has found any of Retro's characters that have this hand. Could this be a hint of their long awaited project?

https://twitter.com/Spoogymonkey/status/1118674414621556740?s=19

I'm having Joycon issues, only really noticed now.
    Up to this point I have been using a 3rd party controller which has worked great, but a new set of Joycons means that I was trying them out, in the grip holder.
    All I ended up with was a series of constant disconnections, no or delayed responses to button presses, random stick movements too.
    And this is from both joycons.
    They are launch controllers, so I understand they are vulnerable to the problems everyone else seems to have seen.
    A pain though.
    Both are fully updated, so it's not that.
    I'm hoping a change in the Switch position, away from the other Wifi enabled devices, might help, we shall see.

FYI to those who are purchasing the physical edition of Final Fantasy X - As you know, the X-2 content is available via download only, and not on the cart. However, to further kick salt into the wound, you cannot play this download without the original FFX cart in the system. So basically, it's tying half the game to an account, which requires you to keep a physical copy of a different game, and if you want to give or trade the game to anyone else, you're left with an unplayable game, which isn't transferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Corholio wrote: »
    Soo this could be fun to speculate. ]

Isn't that just part of Samus' arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

o1s1n wrote: »
    Isn't that just part of Samus' arm?

Looks to me like he has purposely stuck the figurine/statue of Mario in front of it. Samus arm is the arm cannon, no hand on that side.

This is the part of the image:

vWjZQMK.png

It's not part of Samus.

I was listening to Friday's KFGD podcast earlier and the speculation was for the hand of Rob 64 (which might point to the long-rumoured Star Fox Racer game).

x0wm4yq.png

Switch Firmware 8.0.1 is out now. More stable than a very stable stable of horses.

Switch Firmware 8.0.1 is out now. More stable than a very stable stable of horses.

Finally. I was getting a bit worried over the lack of stability mentioned in the last update.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Anyone know anything about Dragons Dawn of New Riders? The little one gave up the Switch for lent and she's into the cartoon so I thought this'd be a nice little reward for her, it's only €25 in Smyths at the moment. The gameplay footage looks decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Anyone pick up MK11?

Some people on reddit giving out about having to buy DLC to complete it

I see a lot of threads saying that earning currency is "grindy", but I think this is a huge understatement. Just consider these points:
    • Completing the entire story will barely give you enough currency to clear one room in krypt. From this, I got 1 brutality, some common skins and few consumables. You can't so much as clear a single hard tower with all the stuff I got.
    • Clearing some of the latter towers without at least rare gear and a large number of single use consumables is near impossible. These towers are not just a pure test of fighting skills, they also feature: unblockable blood missiles which drain you life and gives it to the enemy, acid rain, enemy getting armour on low health and some absolutely ridiculous damage modifiers.
    • Earning said consumables and rare gear is extremely grindy, requiring you to complete event specific and daily towers, as well as clearing multiple easier towers. The krypt chests get progressively more expensive and the drop rate for rare or better items is very low. For context, I opened a total of 23 chests in the krypt and got only 2 rare gear across different characters.

Was thinking of picking it up but I'll probably hold off now.

• Advertisement

It also seems to be missing some features that are in the PS4/Xbox releases - I can't recall exactly but it's missing some skins, announcers and some other stuff that seems like it will be added later on. There's also a 16gb day one patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Every review has taken them to task over the grinding, but it is not DLC they are buying it is Time Krystals for cosmetic items, it is being addressed though.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1120679213986668544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1120679213986668544&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcinvasion.com%2Fnetherrealm-mortal-kombat-11-grind-fix%2F

You'd think that kind of stuff would have come up during testing....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It probably did, which is why they have a solution for it in hours and not days - they'll have grades ranging from "What we want the economy to be" to "What players want" and they'll stop when they reach "what is acceptable to players given where we started" somewhere in between

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

People don't have to fork over cash during testing though... It's only when it gets into the hands of real people that this can rear its ugly head.

As Banjo said, they'll try to find the balance between "How much money can we squeeze out of this?" vs "What is the maximum that people will grudgingly accept?"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Probably a stupid question but can you use more than one sd card on the switch?
    Obviously not at the same time but have some games on one and some on the second?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but can you use more than one sd card on the switch?
    Obviously not at the same time but have some games on one and some on the second?

Yup, thats possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Has anyone played the new Mortal Kombat on the switch? I kinda want it but I'm worried the online will be hard to get up to speed on and the single player won't keep me interested for too long. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Think I need to get a pro controller!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

petes wrote: »
    Think I need to get a pro controller!

Buy one of these, I picked one up and they are actually really good. NFC built in and all :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0795D8WPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement