Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've never played Skyrim or Dark Souls on any console am set on getting Skyrim in the next week.

Is it crazy that I don't want any of Mario Odyssey, Arms, Splatoon or Bayonetta.

Yes, it is. Only reason I got a Switch was to play the exclusives.

But obviously you do not have any other platform to play on as why would you buy those games to play on the worst looking console.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fresh rumour today from WSJ...
    Nintendo Co. NTDOY -0.96% plans to launch two new versions of its Switch gaming console as early as this summer, people familiar with the matter said, as the company seeks to sustain sales momentum for the product going into a crucial third year.

One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won’t be as powerful as Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have access to a prototype of the machine.

The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device, the suppliers and developers say.

The new models are likely to be unveiled at the E3 videogame Expo in Los Angeles in June and possibly released a few months later, one person familiar with Nintendo’s plans said. Kyoto-based Nintendo declined to comment.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-to-launch-two-new-switch-models-11553494773

Mr E wrote: »

Eventually, they'll be right. Then it'll be all "we called it, we are teh bestest".

:shrugs:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Eventually, they'll be right. Then it'll be all "we called it, we are teh bestest".

:shrugs:

Always the way tbh.

Sad acts incoming!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wonder now...
    Docked performance while undocked?
    Bugger screen with smaller bezels for sure, as well as a beefier battery.
    But they can't change things too much and risk ending up with two formats, 3DS/N3DS style.
    While in that case it only wound up with a couple of N3DS titles, with the Switch it would be a swift boot in the nethers if, suddenly, we had to contend with excellent software we can't play on existing hardware.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I wonder now...
    Docked performance while undocked?
    Bugger screen with smaller bezels for sure, as well as a beefier battery.
    But they can't change things too much and risk ending up with two formats, 3DS/N3DS style.
    While in that case it only wound up with a couple of N3DS titles, with the Switch it would be a swift boot in the nethers if, suddenly, we had to contend with excellent software we can't play on existing hardware.

Yeah, Ninty went at that the completely wrong way. Better to keep the same ecosystem the way that Sony and Microsoft did.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

We keep hearing this pish about the NuSwitch, but the bloody thing is only just 2 years old and on the back of a prior severely underselling, expensive console. So I'm not personally convinced Nintendo are itching to (amongst other things) suddenly damage the perceived value of the existing Switch (which it would have to want to still sell through) by splitting their hardware profile this way. I also don't buy the "version for hardcore gamers" because that's not Nintendo's brand and never really has been (see also the "it's for kids and casuals" nonsense dating back forever).

But, you know it's a rumour. Impossible to prove or disprove at the time, so IMO best disregarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

Fysh wrote: »
    We keep hearing this pish about the NuSwitch, but the bloody thing is only just 2 years old and on the back of a prior severely underselling, expensive console. So I'm not personally convinced Nintendo are itching to (amongst other things) suddenly damage the perceived value of the existing Switch (which it would have to want to still sell through) by splitting their hardware profile this way. I also don't buy the "version for hardcore gamers" because that's not Nintendo's brand and never really has been (see also the "it's for kids and casuals" nonsense dating back forever).

But, you know it's a rumour. Impossible to prove or disprove at the time, so IMO best disregarded.

It depends on if Nintendo really internally consider it a home console or a portable.
    Their history is around 2 years for a new handheld version, and more around 5 (if ever) if they think it's a home console.

I know they advertise it as a home console, but things can be thought of different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So I played threw Undertale really enjoyed it the boss fights and combat style was a bit annoying at times but nothing major.

The humour and randomness of game I really liked though!!

Last week or so I've been playing Stardew Valley and love it! There's something so layed back and enjoyable about it. It's a nice pace to play something that doesn't involve constant high paced crazy **** going on!

It's a lot deeper then you would imagine to!

I'm actually really hoping they announce a version of Persona 5 for switch now soon! I absolutely loved it for ps4 haven't had such fond memories playing threw a game in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It depends on if Nintendo really internally consider it a home console or a portable.
    Their history is around 2 years for a new handheld version, and more around 5 (if ever) if they think it's a home console.

I know they advertise it as a home console, but things can be thought of different ways.

So that would leave us with the Switch, Switch mini and Switch Pro?
    Given how hard it was for people to wrap their heads around the 2DS being newer than the 3DS and them both being essentially the same thing I can't see that sustaining sales momentum so much as confounding it. I mean, a new higher-res handset would dovetail nicely with the VR offering, except the VR offering is an Elephant mask with a motion-sensing trunk and clearly isn't aimed at the same segment.

It's also a bit boring. I prefer to believe in the co-processor dock and the vita-esque mini with integrated joycons, and the Switch Lite that has a front facing camera for AR overlays and weighs so little you never need to take the elephant mask off, ever. EVER!
    "....To have and to hold with your cardboard trunk, until death do you part at the virtual elephants graveyard?"
    "*TRUMPET!*"
    "...Then I pronounce you bull and cow!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

/\/ollog wrote: »

I think you're putting more thought into this argument than any of the clickseeking rumourmongers so far have done :)

I get what you're saying, but I continue to think it's pish until some supporting evidence is available (supply chain changes, additional staffing, that sort of thing). I mean, the last 4 Nintendo home consoles have been weaker hardwarewise than their rivals, it's not really their focus. Pivoting on the back of the Wii U's failure to suddenly start trying to sell a Switch Pro to an audience where the existing fans have one and the folks who don't are unlikely to care (because if they wanted 1st Party titles they'd already be there, and the "hardcore gamer" 3rd party titles are non-exclusive) is, ah, not the most obvious path to success IMO (though I'll grant that gouging fan wallets is a very Nintendo thing to do).

They aren't going to fragment the Switch audience. The new Switch will just be an iteration of what's there and will probably replace it. It might have less bezel, more space... The unit itself will be the same size (so as to work with gen 1 joycons, labo, dock etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Is there any reasonably priced places to just get the tablet part of the Switch on its own?

I don't think that's a SKU. They don't sell them on their own (not in Europe anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

Fysh wrote: »
    I think you're putting more thought into this argument than any of the clickseeking rumourmongers so far have done :)

I get what you're saying, but I continue to think it's pish until some supporting evidence is available (supply chain changes, additional staffing, that sort of thing). I mean, the last 4 Nintendo home consoles have been weaker hardwarewise than their rivals, it's not really their focus. Pivoting on the back of the Wii U's failure to suddenly start trying to sell a Switch Pro to an audience where the existing fans have one and the folks who don't are unlikely to care (because if they wanted 1st Party titles they'd already be there, and the "hardcore gamer" 3rd party titles are non-exclusive) is, ah, not the most obvious path to success IMO (though I'll grant that gouging fan wallets is a very Nintendo thing to do).
    Their SDK made reference to a new system chip "Mariko" ages ago.

It's been so long that were thinking it's just for a new devkit though.

The only thing is love to see if analog triggers.

April is shaping up to be expensive.

April 2nd - Darksiders
    April 4th - Mechstermination Force
    April 9th - Ace Attorney Trilogy
    April 18th - Cuphead
    April 18th - Katana Zero
    April 25th - Steamworld Quest
    April 26th - Boxboy! + Boxgirl!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

April is shaping up to be expensive.

April 2nd - Darksiders
    April 4th - Mechstermination Force
    April 9th - Ace Attorney Trilogy
    April 18th - Cuphead
    April 18th - Katana Zero
    April 25th - Steamworld Quest
    April 26th - Boxboy! + Boxgirl!

Final Fantasy X/X2 (First is amazing, second is so-so but any continuation of X was worth it)
    Final Fantasy XII (Never played but really looking forward to it)

Cuphead is the main one of note for me.
    But Nintendo are making a good few bob off of me a week anyways, with indie purchases here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So with the talk again of a new Switch model, what would it need for you to invest in one?
    Obviously a good trade in offer would be a start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Steam library integration, Sky Go, GameCube games with the Online sub, analogue triggers for FZero on that service, labo vr with senran kagura sploosh (complete with laminated DIY cardboard vagina), rockstar/Ninty hybrid Relda Zelda Redemption and I'm f'ing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah thought you were going to insist on something crazy like netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote:
    So with the talk again of a new Switch model, what would it need for you to invest in one? Obviously a good trade in offer would be a start

Better quality dock, improve the Wi-Fi connectivity, smaller bezel, more internal storage & a notable improved performance over the original model.
    They won't do all that but if they did 3/5 I'd consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Banjo wrote: »
    Steam library integration, Sky Go, GameCube games with the Online sub, analogue triggers for FZero on that service, labo vr with senran kagura sploosh (complete with laminated DIY cardboard vagina), rockstar/Ninty hybrid Relda Zelda Redemption and I'm f'ing there.

Senran Kagura VR Bewbs vision. Catherine with laminated DIY..., Rockstar/Ninty Grand Theft Gerudo, SNES GB GBA GameCube back catalogue access

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

If anyone has twitch/amazon prime -

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/nintendo/

12 months free Nintendo Online

Pity it isn't the family account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

maximoose wrote: »
    If anyone has twitch/amazon prime -

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/nintendo/

12 months free Nintendo Online

Saw that but I have the family account. As was said, pity it can't go towards that, as I have Twitch Prime through Amazon, and this seems to link via account rather than a code so I can't even give it away to someone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A little query here, I got an officially licensed Anti-glare screen protector for the switch, but I noticed it's missing the cut out for the screen light sensor on the bottom of the screen? Is this going to affect the adaptive screen brightness or is it ok to go ahead and use?

Any thoughts on the Orzly Comfort Grip for the Switch?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORZLY%C2%AE-Comfort-Grip-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B077V57CVV/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3UKVAQBOWE1UW

I'm travelling in a few weeks and I want to be able to play the Switch comfortably.

I realise that the Satisfye grip is probably better, but the Orzly one is half the price and I have Amazon Prime.
    The Orzly one reviews pretty well too.

Does anybody have one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Any thoughts on the Orzly Comfort Grip for the Switch?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORZLY%C2%AE-Comfort-Grip-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B077V57CVV/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3UKVAQBOWE1UW

I'm travelling in a few weeks and I want to be able to play the Switch comfortably.

I realise that the Satisfye grip is probably better, but the Orzly one is half the price and I have Amazon Prime.
    The Orzly one reviews pretty well too.

Does anybody have one?

I have the Satisfye one and it's brilliant. Makes long sessions much more comfortable. It's down to $22 now as well (not sure about shipping cost) on their website.

Advertisement