Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why people have children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yes, world is extremely overpopulated, humans are destroying this planet.

Would you be open to letting us having kids and just killing off the bad humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I find it strange for men but can understand women because it's part of their biological make up. Men just want to mate and protect their children if they come. Women want to actually have the child part.

I can't say I have any ambitions to have children and I am reaching the point of no return in terms of finding a partner to do it. Unless I become Mick Jagger and trade a new one in every 10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Shemale wrote: »
    Because single mothers allowance in Ireland is the best career choice in Europe?

No such thing as "single mothers allowance " in Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Having balls of children directly affects the housing crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I feel your pain, even trojan magnums feel tight on my meatpole. :o

Magnum wrappers feel tight on mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Got into parenthood sorta by accident myself.

Kinda glad now that the 'Paradise Gene' might carry on for a few more years.

It's your only way to achieve some kind of immortality.

My Mam passed on a few years back & my youngest daughter (7) is an almost carbon copy of her.

It's almost like my mam is still here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I want them because they'll make me happy, I want to be a dad. I have a paternal instinct in me, can't wait to clean all that poop up and see them grow. From day 1 will be training him/her to be a professional footballer, it's an investment really.should be able to retire when I'm 50 once he/she breaks into a premier league team ill be sorted.

How YOU doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's not all about the money (or lack of)...We also do it so we can look down on childless couples....

..... And wonder why they don't want the joy that getting called "daddy" brings.
    For all the negatives, that outweighs them !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Little known fact. When you have a small child you are allowed back on the big slides at play centres. So when you're having a shítty Monday morning at work, there are stay at home parents all over the country racing down giant slides. (And winning, because were more clued in about aerodynamics than our preschoolers.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

We are straining mothers earth's resources, Ireland is not overpopulated but almost every other European country is, prime example England.

As far as I can see the British government is successfully providing its densely populated little nation with enough food ,water, heating, clothing, electricity, education and healthcare (within reason). Japan seems to be providing its citizens with extremely high quality of life despite the incredibly high population desnity.While one of the least populated countries on earth, Suriname has a poverty rate of nearly 50%. Other relatively poor but extremely sparsely populated countries include mongolia and Namibia. On the flip side, another two countries with very sparse population density but high quality of life include iceland and australia. Greenland is another example with very average quality of life. Clearly there is very little correlation between quality of life and population density

Over population, in numerical terms is a complete myth. Over population = not having enough resources to sustain a population. NOT the number of people residing in an area. Its very seldom that a place is literally over populated, as in its so densely packed that the population cant all seem to fit/live in the place. For example hong kong.

England, Netherlands, Ireland nor anywhere in Europe are in any way 'over populated'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

For the parent and child parking spaces obviously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I thought we had to outbreed dem protestants?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Samsgirl wrote: »
    For the parent and child parking spaces obviously!!

Lidl and Aldi have loads of them and never achieve above 56% occupancy so try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

It's not all about the money (or lack of)...We also do it so we can look down on childless couples....

..... And wonder why they don't want the joy that getting called "daddy" brings.
    For all the negatives, that outweighs them !

I'm now in my '40s & I know a fair few couples desperate to have kids. They spend thousands on IVF & all that, often to no avail.

As an 'Accidental Dad', I often feel guilt when I meet these people.

It makes me realise how lucky I am really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

batistuta9 wrote: »
    For some it's part of a predetermined plan that they think is the only way to live life & you have to follow it.
    College - job - partner - marriage - house - kids.

Others I think have kids to give them some sort of 'meaning' in their life.

They the only options regards reasons to have children, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

wakka12 wrote: »
    As far as I can see the British government is successfully providing its densely populated little nation with enough food ,water, heating, clothing, electricity, education and healthcare (within reason). Japan seems to be providing its citizens with extremely high quality of life despite the incredibly high population desnity.While one of the least populated countries on earth, Suriname has a poverty rate of nearly 50%. Other relatively poor but extremely sparsely populated countries include mongolia and Namibia. On the flip side, another two countries with very sparse population density but high quality of life include iceland and australia. Greenland is another example with very average quality of life. Clearly there is very little correlation between quality of life and population density

Over population, in numerical terms is a complete myth. Over population = not having enough resources to sustain a population. NOT the number of people residing in an area. Its very seldom that a place is literally over populated, as in its so densely packed that the population cant all seem to fit/live in the place. For example hong kong.

England, Netherlands, Ireland nor anywhere in Europe are in any way 'over populated'

Kermit wouldn't attempt as many leaps as your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I find it strange for men but can understand women because it's part of their biological make up. Men just want to mate and protect their children if they come. Women want to actually have the child part.

I can't say I have any ambitions to have children and I am reaching the point of no return in terms of finding a partner to do it. Unless I become Mick Jagger and trade a new one in every 10 years.

You don't think men have a biological urge to continue their lineage through having children?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maximus277

Supposedly, half of pregnancies are unplanned, so a lot of people are forced into parenthood in Ireland, since abortion is illegal.

It's still very much the Irish way to buy a house, get married and have 3 kids so theres that too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

MadDog76 wrote: »
    You don't think men have a biological urge to continue their lineage through having children?
    It is doubtful, and there doesn't appear to be much evidence to support the notion of a biological urge either.
    Surprisingly, given how fundamental the question might seem to the perpetuation of the human species, the reasons for why some women want children and others don't remain fuzzy. Few scientists have actually studied women’s so-called biological drive to reproduce, so no universal explanation has emerged in the literature. Some attribute it to basic genetic variety; some women are into kids, some aren’t. But with relatively few women falling into the “aren’t” category, the question of why these few women aren’t interested in kids becomes even more interesting. The only consistent biological theory is that women with no desire to parent either have a high testosterone level or were exposed to above-average testosterone in the womb.

Many scientists believe the seemingly biological drive some women feel isn’t triggered by biology, so much as culture—combined with a fertility deadline. Not only is having children more socially acceptable, says evolutionary biologist David Barash, author of Strange Bedfellows: The Surprising Connection Between Sex, Evolution and Monogamy, but for many, as a life goal, it represents a source of happiness and belonging in the same way that attending college or pursuing a career might. Evolution has bestowed upon women a desire for sex and the equipment to have a baby; from here, free will steps in.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

batistuta9 wrote:
    For some it's part of a predetermined plan that they think is the only way to live life & you have to follow it. College - job - partner - marriage - house - kids.

batistuta9 wrote:
    Others I think have kids to give them some sort of 'meaning' in their life.

Or maybe they just want a child. Why does there have to be some philosophical, or deep reasoning behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I remember reading a comment on here a long time ago that said that your forefathers have been passing down the dna for centuries and you don't want to be the man who stops it but that is not the case because as long as you have siblings who have children then the dna is still passed on.

Children make me miserable plus I don't want to add to the human population as I think we need to eventually die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

People have children because of a wonderful thing called sex.

People choose to have children so they can instil all of their healthy and not so healthy habits and beliefs in their children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

wakka12 wrote: »

If I can't go into nature such as forest or fields without seeing human activity everywhere then it's overpopulated. I would love to go to a place untouched by humans which gets harder and harder to find. And countries like England continue to breed faster than rabbits which will result in even more humans destroying the environment, nature, trees and animals to support the out of control population, just because there can be 15 billion people in this world doesn't mean there should. We are not alone on this planet and we need to leave some places untouched. Everywhere you go you see humans. Ireland is one of the least densely populated countries which makes it an exception however England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium and most other European Union countries have very high density. Europeans make fun of China with their population but China is less densely populated than many European countries such as Belgium and Netherlands. I don't believe that humans should breed at such an extreme rate and consume the world by increasing demands, Earth is not unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Children make me miserable plus I don't want to add to the human population as I think we need to eventually die out.
    Safe to say humans are here to stay at this stage.

The great thing about children is that they have the potential to save the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I remember reading a comment on here a long time ago that said that your forefathers have been passing down the dna for centuries and you don't want to be the man who stops it but that is not the case because as long as you have siblings who have children then the dna is still passed on.

Ho
    Do
    You mean the make you miserable? Do you mean all kids ?
    If people
    Want kids they should hav kids if they don't then they shouldn't
    I understand people
    That don't want kids they get in your stuff and they smell funny and they cost money and they are irrational
    You have to worry about them and you therefore take life more serious
    I think people that have kids and want them and people that don't have kids and don't want them are
    Lucky cos I see loads of people who have kids and shouldn't have and people that would love be kids but are struggling to find a partner or fertility issues or they are in a same sex realationship and are finding it hard to get around that

I'm a dad and Itmakes me happy
    I was a wild teenaged r and a crazy young man. But I've done that and I'm happy now to raise my son lienmy dad did and his dad did back to the apes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm pushing 30 now and would love a little mini me. My finances and career aspirations say differently though. Will revisit the matter at 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Not sure about that. My fella is way way more broody than me, would have them tomorrow if he had his way, whereas I'm a lot less so and although I'd like them some day, the thought of that day coming soon scares the bejaysus out of me. I like having disposable cash for one and enjoy a fair amount of personal space. Bye bye to those notions once the little gang come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭chooey

I never wanted children in my 20s and was never that keen on them. Once I hit my early 30s I started thinking that having a family of my own some day would be nice. Here I am now at 35 with my five month old in my arms and I couldn't be happier. I wanted a child so we could have our family and it is the best thing I've ever done in my life. The first smile and laugh were unreal and it is so enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I think for a lot of people it's a vanity project - just look at the guy above who described his future offspring as "mini me"

But I would say hormones also play a huge role, not just in wanting sex but also wanting to be a parent.

Speaking from experience, I didn't want kids, till I started HRT, and now with healthy amounts of estrogen a maternal instinct has developed Still can't have kids, but there is certainly a regret attached to that reality that was never part of my mindset before HRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ireland has(still?) the highest birth rates in European Union. I was thinking why would anyone want to have children. Seems to me like a self inflicted torture. Screaming, shouting pooping, huge responsibility for absolute minimum of 18 years.

As a parent, let me tell that children bring unending joy into our lives.

Sure, you worry when they get sick, and okay, getting up at night during the first six months isn't great.

But they are the best thing I have ever done.

Advertisement