Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why people have children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I suppose the plus side on having kids is that people expect the kids to clearing up their shyte in the long-run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I think for a lot of people it's a vanity project - just look at the guy above who described his future offspring as "mini me"

That's an awful thing to say about the other poster. It's just an affectionate term (s)he has used. It does not equate to a vanity project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Patww79 wrote: »
    Someone to look after you when you're old.

Also, people in Ireland think you're strange once you hit your 30's and don't have kids. There's an odd kind of fear in them.

I think that was more true in years past. I think it's becoming much more socially acceptable to choose now and a lot less judgement for it. Though there are always going to be some who cannot for the life of them understand why others don't want the exact same things as them - almost to the point of taking offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its the water additives that make people broody.

Its a clandestine government plan to breed out the Protestants and get back the 6 counties.

Irish water was set up to speed up the project.

Know the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Of course it's an act people do to bring joy for themselves. But that's human nature.

You can see it here.

I had kids to pass things onto them.

I had kids to have a family and they bring ME happiness.

I wanted kids for this that and the other.

At the end of the day it's just to bring something into your life but that's OK as it's what we all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How did you get here?

Exactly what I was thinking, he hardly thinks that he dropped out of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Maximus277 wrote: »

It's still very much the Irish way to buy a house, get married and have 3 kids so theres that too.

Yes, because that only happens in Ireland and nowhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I always wanted to be a dad and wish I had had them when I was slightly younger, I was 29 when we had our 1st and 33 when our 3rd came along.

It is nice though to be able to hand back babies when new parents give them to you to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭pgj2015

how are your kids going to compete with robots for jobs?

No way am I ever having kids. I don't want the responsibility and I will be richer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I done it for the mickey money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Never wanted kids. Got married still didn't want kids. Routine medical exam through up some issues & discovered I couldn't have kids.

That changed things. We are approaching 40 now & yes have more disposable income & freedom. But you ask yourself, is this it for the next 40yrs? Just a bunch of material things & nice holidays. Sounds great, but when that becomes your reality you feel different about it.

I love my dog, he brings me so much happiness. He cost me nothing, does nothing except sleep & gives me nothing. So how can I love him, how does he bring me happiness?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I could have written your post! I'm a little bit younger but, like you never wanted kids. Was told when I met the right person that I would want kids. Didn't happen. Got married, still don't want kids. Was told that after the "honeymoon" period wore off that we'd get broody. That hasn't happened.
    I was hospitalised a few years ago and it was discovered I'd be very unlikely to conceive naturally. Didn't bother me in the slightest. The Obs Gynae Doctor was baffled by my reaction.

I have 2 wonderful rescue doggies whom I spoil. I have a niece and 2 nephews whom I also love and ruin but I have a limited tolerance level for them when they are under 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Its great seeing your children reared & doing well for themselves, going out and living there own lives as they see fit & especially lovely when the grandkids come along, if I may say there even better than your own children as you can give them back later :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

batistuta9 wrote: »
    For some it's part of a predetermined plan that they think is the only way to live life & you have to follow it.
    College - job - partner - marriage - house - kids.

Others I think have kids to give them some sort of 'meaning' in their life.

So, in order to reach your true apex of individuality, you must be a single, homeless, unemployed person that has no kids and left school at 16?

Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I don't want children until I want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Best source for organ transplants is a blood relative.
    Just sayin'.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I had kids because it became tiresome only being an embarrassment to my wife and I needed new victims. The embarrassment you can cause your kids by simply existing is truer and more pure than anything else. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

For example Germany has lowest birth rate in Europe, can someone explain to me correlation between the birth rates of Ireland and Germany?

Yea, I can.
    There isn't one.

Can you explain to me why you think there should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why does anyone do anything? Because they want to. I love being a parent and always wanted children but I can't explain why. I guess I just wanted a family. I get more joy and fulfilment from my family than anything else in my life and while the early years are undeniably tough at times it doesn't last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I dont think you can explain the want to have kids logically to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

hairyslug wrote: »
    I always wanted to be a dad and wish I had had them when I was slightly younger, I was 29 when we had our 1st and 33 when our 3rd came along.

I had my first at 37. In hindsight I would have liked him at 28 or 29. Think that is a good age aa you are a bit more mature but not too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think you can be happy without them. I couldn't deal with not having any time to myself and being confined.

Combine teenager with PS4 and you'll soon forget that they exist in the same house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

That's an awful thing to say about the other poster. It's just an affectionate term (s)he has used. It does not equate to a vanity project.

It may be the case that the other user used the term quite harmlessly as you suggest - and I agree: it probably was a throwaway comment on his/her/their part, but it still underlies an attitude some take to parenting and my point is still valid. How else do you explain children being raised in an environment where they are made to believe and follow certain things just 'cause their parents say so - i.e. religious beliefs, moral values, interest in sports teams, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

An individuals biological success is measured in grandchildren not children.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It may be the case that the other user used the term quite harmlessly as you suggest - and I agree: it probably was a throwaway comment on his/her/their part, but it still underlies an attitude some take to parenting and my point is still valid. How else do you explain children being raised in an environment where they are made to believe and follow certain things just 'cause their parents say so - i.e. religious beliefs, moral values, interest in sports teams, etc.?

I think it's just a case of doing what makes life easier. I don't bring my kids to church because I don't go, I'm not raising them non religious. Same as how I don't cook meat because I don't eat it, I'm not raising them vegetarian. When they reach the age of being able to think and do for themselves I don't care if they go to mass every day or live on meat once I'm not having to do it. You won't find many parents who don't see their children as individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm raising my without passing on any of my beliefs or knowledge... the poor feckers can't talk, dress themselves, use the toilet or interact with others but hey... at least they're not going to Mass in a United jersey.

It's ironic that you say that having kids is a vanity project for some. There are a lot of people that are just too damn cool to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

awaiting thread where some one has 4-5 kids, pi$$ broke on welfare,and everyone giving their opinion how parents should be neutered.

its not only in Ireland but can be seen across many more developed countries,Japan is good example.

people focus more on career future to secure it,not like old days where families would pop 5-7 kids to have someone to plow fields for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

How else do you explain children being raised in an environment where they are made to believe and follow certain things just 'cause their parents say so - i.e. religious beliefs, moral values, interest in sports teams, etc.?

Generally, parents are going to instill the same values and beliefs in their children that they themselves have. It's generally not in a bid to make them a 'mini me' but it's because that's what they believe is the best way to live life. I'd have pretty opposite political views to my parents but I'd still share the basic morality that they raised me with - treating people with respect, not holding grudges, being thankful for the positive things in my life and not letting the negatives drag me down - which I'm thoroughly glad they taught me. It wasn't like they were going to raise me in a lifestyle completely incompatible with theirs for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Where do you think the tax revenue to keep the plates spinning when you retire is going to come from?

Advertisement