Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why people have children

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

And a 95% reductuon in taxes. Why should they pay for childrens allowance, schools, childrens hospital, playgrounds etc
    Seems fair

"Why should I pay for schools".

The sooner the better this wave of weak 'childfree' leeches die off, the better for everyone.

Their parents must be so ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I think this post is ridiculous. I'm only eighteen and don't even like children that much (oops) but I'm sure when I reach my thirties I'll want some... That's like saying why do dogs have puppies, or cats kittens. Its something beyond our choice, its older than any of us. I think this post is quite funny - as If you're the first person to ever wonder that. - human instinct. Stronger than any opinion or personal belief. Nature. Science. Anatomy. Then less serious ones such as - carrying on a generation. Not being alone at Christmas when your older. I've no siblings - so kids will be my only hope! And me saying that, I don't even want them but know I will in later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

An evolutionary drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think this post is ridiculous. I'm only eighteen and don't even like children that much (oops) but I'm sure when I reach my thirties I'll want some... That's like saying why do dogs have puppies, or cats kittens. Its something beyond our choice, its older than any of us. I think this post is quite funny - as If you're the first person to ever wonder that. - human instinct. Stronger than any opinion or personal belief. Nature. Science. Anatomy. Then less serious ones such as - carrying on a generation. Not being alone at Christmas when your older. I've no siblings - so kids will be my only hope! And me saying that, I don't even want them but know I will in later life.

Its a bit different to dogs and cats now..we've evolved a bit beyond instinct and can consider whether having children is for us or not. Cats and dogs kill each other for taking food and Im sure some humans would want to do the same if given the chance..but we consider consequences as evolved beings :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Not in my experience, it's usually just the nosey ****s that grill me on these things. I lie out of principle.

Did you ever think there are people who can't have kids and find it painful to delve in to the nitty gritty of why?

you will never have the 'right' answer to this question.

Have no kids ...selfish
    Have one kid....selfish (cant leave 'em on their own)
    have 6 kids .....selfish (cant pay for them all/mind them all properly)

Or had 'em young ...get looked down on by some people, same people are starting their families now want to know 'Why wouldn't you go again, sure you're only young still?'

If you do have another one with older teens already under your belt 'why would you start all over again?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I fcuking hate parents who look down on others for not wanting or having kids. They're usually far worse than the people they attempt to patronise.

Who are these people? In fairness I've never came across anyone with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Bingo. It makes me laugh when I see people talk about it as if its a lifestyle choice. In terms of being a powerful urge, it follows fairly closely on the heels of eat, drink and sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

REM76, don;t post in this thread again.

The overriding rule on this forum is "don't be a dick".
    REM76 wrote: »
    Please don't have any children.
    If I were you, I'd just be honest and say you're not ready/fit/able for it. No need to lie.
    Like I said, you'll turn into a man one day.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its a bit different to dogs and cats now..we've evolved a bit beyond instinct and can consider whether having children is for us or not. Cats and dogs kill each other for taking food and Im sure some humans would want to do the same if given the chance..but we consider consequences as evolved beings :p

The problem is more that we haven't evolved as much as we think we have. In many ways our instincts are still at the prehistoric hunter-gatherer stage, even though we live in a world that is beyond even the wildest imaginings of some who lived 200 years ago, never mind 200,000 or more. This means that our prehistoric instincts may clash with aspects of our 21st century lives, but that doesn't mean they're extinguished entirely, or don't bubble up to the surface.

Oh...cats and dogs don't kill each other for food...they kill other species for food. So do we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I fcuking hate parents who look down on others for not wanting or having kids. They're usually far worse than the people they attempt to patronise.

Who are these people? In fairness I've never came across anyone with that attitude.
    I don't think it's 'normal' to reject the reason we exist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

Mod:

REM76, don;t post in this thread again.

The overriding rule on this forum is "don't be a dick".

:rolleyes:

Still pathetic moderation. God bless the good old days.

banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I've no kids and it's unlikely I ever will but there are some serious loons on this thread. To think that some of us may have a happy and fulfilling life without children! The worst thing about it is, some people with kids can't even fathom the idea of happiness without offspring. If someone started talking that way to me in real life, they'd regret it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

storker wrote: »
    Bingo. It makes me laugh when I see people talk about it as if its a lifestyle choice. In terms of being a powerful urge, it follows fairly closely on the heels of eat, drink and sleep.

Given that I'm in my mid-forties now and never have felt any urge to have children, I'm calling nonsense on this.

Until recently, people did not have much of a choice, it was either sexual abstinence or children.
    Now they do have a choice, and a significant number of them choose not to have children. Having children is a choice. Not having children is a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Of course not having children and having children is a choice, but the majority of people do. So to say 'why do people have children' it sounds like 'why do people drink diet coke' it's not as simple or general as that and is a ridiculous thing to question in such a simple way.

The question should be more like 'Why do people NOT have children.....'

I actually think its along the lines of.. ''Why is the sky blue'' something you just can't ask. No one is going to turn around and say ''because they're cute and we love them!!'' it's just life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's the reason you were put on this earth OP. Now get cracking and fulfill your duty to the human race before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

It's pretty simple to me;

Why do people have children?
    Because they want to.

Why do people not have children?
    Because they don't want to.

Voila!

(not counting the people who want to and can't, etc. Obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Babies are cute but it stops there for me.

They're too much responsibility. I can't barely afford to look after myself, the last thing I want is expense of another human being. Yet, I'm capable of minding animals but kids turn me off. With animals, you can put them into kennels and fcuk off on exotic holidays. You can't do that with kids, you have to bring them with you, sure that's not a holiday when you have to think about them. You can't hardly bring them to Vegas, more like the Tayto park.

The Raptor wrote: »
    Babies are cute but it stops there for me.

They're too much responsibility. I can't barely afford to look after myself, the last thing I want is expense of another human being. Yet, I'm capable of minding animals but kids turn me off. With animals, you can put them into kennels and fcuk off on exotic holidays. You can't do that with kids, you have to bring them with you, sure that's not a holiday when you have to think about them. You can't hardly bring them to Vegas, more like the Tayto park.
    Jeebus, this is why I can't get a dog. I want one SO freaking much, but I'm convinced it'd think I was never coming back every time I'd leave the house. As for kennels? Oh god no. I'd feel so guilty!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

I'v never felt the urge to have children- luckily as I'm in a same sex relationship and I don't think I'd be up for jumping through all the hoops that come with adoption ect. Saying that I can see why others would want children because iv got nieces and a nephew and have great craic with them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Vela wrote: »
    Jeebus, this is why I can't get a dog. I want one SO freaking much, but I'm convinced it'd think I was never coming back every time I'd leave the house. As for kennels? Oh god no. I'd feel so guilty!

That's why I have a cat. I don't think he cares where I go or if I ever come back.

• Advertisement

The Raptor wrote: »
    That's why I have a cat. I don't think he cares where I go or if I ever come back.
    I'm allergic to cats :( Had to live with one in a houseshare and the fcuker used to come and try sleep on my bed when my housemate was away, and I never had the heart to boot him out - which didn't help matters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Of course not having children and having children is a choice, but the majority of people do. So to say 'why do people have children' it sounds like 'why do people drink diet coke' it's not as simple or general as that and is a ridiculous thing to question in such a simple way.

The question should be more like 'Why do people NOT have children.....'

I actually think its along the lines of.. ''Why is the sky blue'' something you just can't ask. No one is going to turn around and say ''because they're cute and we love them!!'' it's just life.

So just because the majority do it, nobody should be asking why?
    Sorry, that's a bit too simple for me. I think it's too easy to look at someone doing something different and asking "why?". The really interesting answers can usually be found when you turn around and ask the majority "why?".

And why should someone who doesn't feel any need or urge to have children wonder and ask why other people do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There is often implication in those questions that one or the other option is in some way irrational. It can be a bit judgemental.

I don't particularly mind but my reply will be more likely dismissive than some questioning of deeper motives. If people want to examine their deepest desires, grand, I prefer to browse for nice pair of courts or two in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

To ensure the survival of the human race?

This is a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

This post has been deleted.

You know the world is over populated and a child raised in the western world uses resource at a rate that would need 3-4 times more resources than the planet has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I've no kids and it's unlikely I ever will but there are some serious loons on this thread. To think that some of us may have a happy and fulfilling life without children! The worst thing about it is, some people with kids can't even fathom the idea of happiness without offspring. If someone started talking that way to me in real life, they'd regret it!

I can see why people should
    Be happier without kids
    But l speak whatever way I want in real
    Life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tigger wrote: »
    I can see why people should
    Be happier without kids
    But l speak whatever way I want in real
    Life

Do you speak in
    haiku form when speaking
    in real life too?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Given that I'm in my mid-forties now and never have felt any urge to have children, I'm calling nonsense on this.

Until recently, people did not have much of a choice, it was either sexual abstinence or children.
    Now they do have a choice, and a significant number of them choose not to have children. Having children is a choice. Not having children is a choice.

Oh I'm not saying it's the same for everybody and I probably should have qualified it, but you only have to see the anguish that infertile couples go through to know there's a lot more going on that someone being unable to buy their dream car, for example.

Personally, I was ambivalent about having kids myself, so I completely get people who say they can live happily without them, and I don't doubt it for a second. If I hadn't had kids, I'm sure I'd be living quite happily without them too, but I did, and I'm glad I did and I couldn't imagine being without them now, but please don;t confuse me with one of those it-worked-for-me-so-everyone-else-must-do-it types.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We have one job, pro create.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You know the world is over populated and a child raised in the western world uses resource at a rate that would need 3-4 times more resources than the planet has?

The survival of the species thing isn't a conscious thing, though. It's not a case of "I'm so worried about our future as a species...fancy a shag?" Rather, it operates at a far more basic and primitive level. We haven't evolved at the same pace as that which we've made our environment evolve.

Advertisement