Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why people have children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

Aw thanks hun xoxox

Good comeback. So your 'point' was nonsense then.

Please don't have any children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

REM76 wrote: »
    My problem is not someone not wanting children, it's the bull**** excuses they use.....population control, don't have the money, my career is too important, have dogs/cats, and my favourite "I don't like children". That's the best one....the moronic assumption that they would have the same feeling for their own child as they would for the one crying in Tesco.

Give me a break, if they were honest about it and admitted they wouldn't be able for it, I'd have respect for them.

If they don't want kids, that's prerogative - it doesn't mean they wouldn't be able for it. Better than popping out a load of sprogs that they don't give two shíts about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So your mother regrets having you. That's not something I'd be openly admitting. Although I haven't met your mother, she may have a very good point.

Why wouldn't I?
    It wasn't my fault she had me and my brothers. It was a decision she made, but under pressure, and a decision she regrets. She's not a very maternal type, never felt she wanted to be a mother, never had much patience with children or teenagers. But the done thing at the time was to marry and have babies, and she simply wasn't one to buck the trend.

I do admire her for being honest now, though, rather than continuing the lies that caused her to make the wrong choice.

• Advertisement

If they don't want kids, that's prerogative - it doesn't mean they wouldn't be able for it. Better than popping out a load of sprogs that they don't give two shíts about.

It does mean they wouldn't be able for it. There's no other way to cloak it. They are not able to take on being a parent and raising a child. They are not willing or fit to take it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Weak genes. They die out because weak people aren't able or willing to put their needs aside and raise a child (those with the choice obviously), therefore no weak genes passed on.

I think some fella called Darwin mentioned it before.

It's a good thing, a very good thing. Been happening in the animal kingdom for centuries.

Ah, I see, the gene coding for "weakness of character".

:D:D:D:D:D

Christalmighty, that must be rough to hear from your own mother. What way did she express this towards you? Did she show love towards you?

Would your mother's attitude spring from your grandmother? Did she express regret at having children to your mother who in turn did the same thing to you?

I have to say that sounds like a pretty unpleasant family dynamic.

She always did her best, as did my grandmother. But they both of them realised that caring for children simply wasn't anything that came naturally to them, or anything they particularly enjoyed. I don't see anything wrong with it, some people enjoy that, others don't. The notion that everything would be different once the kids are your own is mighty naive in my view.

I'm not sure my mom's attitude would come from my gran - it took my gran a lot longer to be honest. From what I understand, at the time she herself had been putting pressure on my mother to have babies. Because, "What should we say to the neighbours?", you know? ;)

Why would people think it's rough, though? I knew my mom was rubbish around children, that wasn't exactly news to me. She really did her best, she did look after us well, we all turned out ok, but it wasn't a secret to anyone with eyes in their head that it was a chore not a joy for her.
    It's a lottery who you get born to.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Why wouldn't I?
    It wasn't my fault she had me and my brothers. It was a decision she made, but under pressure, and a decision she regrets. She's not a very maternal type, never felt she wanted to be a mother, never had much patience with children or teenagers. But the done thing at the time was to marry and have babies, and she simply wasn't one to buck the trend.

I do admire her for being honest now, though, rather than continuing the lies that caused her to make the wrong choice.

Sounds like the script for Psycho. "Buck the trend", it wasn't wearing flares, people have been having children for hundreds of thousands of years.

Man that is one messed up family. Good luck with that, rather you than me.

It does mean they wouldn't be able for it. There's no other way to cloak it. They are not able to take on being a parent and raising a child. They are not willing or fit to take it on.

Well, then, isn't it better they realise that before they have children? :confused:
    Weren't you the one blaming people who say they just don't want to have children for being stupid and dishonest somehow?

• Advertisement

Sounds like the script for Psycho. "Buck the trend", it wasn't wearing flares, people have been having children for hundreds of thousands of years.

Man that is one messed up family. Good luck with that, rather you than me.

Sorry, but I have to ask : Are you honestly trying to say that you never noticed that while some people are good with children, others aren't? This can't be the first time you heard of that.

Sorry, but I have to ask : Are you honestly trying to say that you never noticed that while some people are good with children, others aren't? This can't be the first time you heard of that.

I have heard of people regretting having children due to not being love with partner, stuck in hometown etc.

I have never heard someone say they would prefer not to have had their actual child.

I have never, ever heard of a mother telling her child I wish I never had you, except in the aforementioned film Psycho, which was fictional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Jack, when you have children, you tend not to worry about this kind of thing. You get a better perspective on what matters in life.

Like I said, you'll turn into a man one day.

Is it 3 or 5 years pcp you took out?

I have heard of people regretting having children due to not being love with partner, stuck in hometown etc.

I have never heard someone say they would prefer not to have had their actual child.

I have never, ever heard of a mother telling her child I wish I never had you, except in the aforementioned film Psycho, which was fictional.

Well, isn't it nice that she didn't say that, so?
    She simply said that for her, having children had been a mistake. She never turned to any of us telling us she wished we didn't exist. I don't for a moment doubt that she loves all of us.

I'd say google it, there are actually plenty of people out there who regret having had children.

Is it 3 or 5 years pcp you took out?

Jack you still don't get it, as you are not a man yet. You're not ready for it. It's ok, we've all been there. I remember thinking that people that didn't like the Prodigy,who mowed their lawn at the weekend and brought their children to crappy childrens' playgrounds were all sad and not as cool as me.

Then I grew up.

And one day Jack, you will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Why do some people think that others have to explain to them why the do/do not have children?

I'd give some glib answer, I wouldn't be explaining myself.

I'd say google it, there are actually plenty of people out there who regret having had children.

I'm sure there is. Google can find any amount of oddballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Why do some people think that others have to explain to them why the do/do not have children?

I'd give some glib answer, I wouldn't be explaining myself.

If I were you, I'd just be honest and say you're not ready/fit/able for it. No need to lie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Time to stop feeding it.

• Advertisement

If I were you, I'd just be honest and say you're not ready/fit/able for it. No need to lie.

Yeah, and hide my kids under the bed when they visit to enquire about my status :pac:

Yeah, and hide my kids under the bed when they visit to enquire about my status :pac:

Well, no need then. It's a fairly normal thing to be asked, I don't know why you would feel the need to lie.

Time to stop feeding it.

When you're beaten, call "troll".

Jack, you are definitely not ready for it. 20 years from now, things will look a lot different. Hang in there, we're all rooting for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Ireland has(still?) the highest birth rates in European Union. I was thinking why would anyone want to have children. Seems to me like a self inflicted torture. Screaming, shouting pooping, huge responsibility for absolute minimum of 18 years. I was thinking maybe Ireland has highest birth rate because abortion is illegal? So people who don't want children are still forced to have unwanted children which results in abuse and children growing up and resorting to crime (proven by studies). For example Germany has lowest birth rate in Europe, can someone explain to me correlation between the birth rates of Ireland and Germany?

Old article from Irish times
    I doubt much has changed

IRELAND HAS the highest birth rate in Europe, according to the latest statistics from the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

The birth rate of 17 per 1,000 of population, up from 14.4 per 1,000 in 2000, was the highest of any of the 27 countries of the European Union in 2009, according to the Perinatal Statistics Report 2009 published yesterday.

How else do they get their council house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

The only thing worse than having kids, is having no kids.

Well, no need then. It's a fairly normal thing to be asked, I don't know why you would feel the need to lie.

Not in my experience, it's usually just the nosey ****s that grill me on these things. I lie out of principle.

Did you ever think there are people who can't have kids and find it painful to delve in to the nitty gritty of why?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The only thing worse than having kids, is having no kids.

Nope. Have kids if you want them, or don't have kids if you know it is not for you. Both are equally valid choices.

Anyone without kids gets a 95% reduction on their pension, my kids shouldn't be paying for your disrespect to society...

Anyone without kids gets a 95% reduction on their pension, my kids shouldn't be paying for your disrespect to society...

And a 95% reductuon in taxes. Why should they pay for childrens allowance, schools, childrens hospital, playgrounds etc
    Seems fair

• Advertisement

And a 95% reductuon in taxes. Why should they pay for childrens allowance,  schools,  childrens hospital,  playgrounds etc
    Seems fair
    If you want that, then no benefits for you of anything any person born after you started paying tax creates/generates etc, agreed?

Advertisement