Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why people have children

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

I think it's great that there will be no trace of the 'childfree' mob here when my first grandchild is growing up. It will be like they never existed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

To some I guess it's to tick the boxes of life. Get married, have kids and buy a brand new Dacia Duster on pcp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

To some I guess it's to tick the boxes of life. Get married, have kids and buy a brand new Dacia Duster on pcp.

Are there 📦's to tick to get through life :)

Don't worry Jack, you'll turn into a man one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

A lot of it is about economics.

We've driven the cost of living way up. It was possible in the 1960s to run a family on a single income.

If you try that now, unless one of you has a really amazing job, it wouldn't be possible to house yourself.

We need to be back to a situation where parenting is taken as a serious job. It doesn't need to be the stay at home mammy of the 1950s but we could to a much better job of making child rearing viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

REM76 wrote: »
    I think it's great that there will be no trace of the 'childfree' mob here when my first grandchild is growing up. It will be like they never existed.

Interesting. In other words, this is the first generation that has had a choice to reproduce and everyone who does so is passing on genes for wanting kids?

How do you explain people who don't want kids although their parents did, if it's solely genetic? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

We've driven the cost of living way up. It was possible in the 1960s to run a family on a single income.

If you try that now, unless one of you has a really amazing job, it wouldn't be possible to house yourself.

We need to be back to a situation where parenting is taken as a serious job. It doesn't need to be the stay at home mammy of the 1950s but we could to a much better job of making child rearing viable.
    Not necessarily. Inflation has remained relatively constant overall, even during the Great recession and after.

The problem, as people like Thomas Piketty have shown conclusively, is that wealth distribution has slowed considerably, causing Capital to dominate Growth. And nobody in power is bold enough, or cares enough, to address this fundamental problem. Any reaction against the system results in those such as Trump taking charge, which will only exacerbate and prolong growing economic inequality in developed countries. It's hilarious really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Don't worry Jack, you'll turn into a man one day.

How is the new Dacia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

What I don't understand from parents is the constant 'competition' they have with other parents about how hard it is for them.

It's like they don't get any enjoyment out of being a parent at all and that late nights, teething, etc. is something no other parent before them has ever had to deal with ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Caliden wrote: »
    What I don't understand from parents is the constant 'competition' they have with other parents about how hard it is for them.

It's like they don't get any enjoyment out of being a parent at all and that late nights, teething, etc. is something no other parent before them has ever had to deal with ever.
    But isn't that the same for everything. You have people complain how hard they work, under how much stress they are, how broke they are, how stressful is to buy a house, how terrible is to rent... And if someone would say I have great lifestyle, my kids are perfect, house is lovely and so on they would be accused of gloating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think questioning someone about why they want kids is as stupid as haranguing someone who doesn't want kids. We all have our reasons for the path we choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think questioning someone about why they want kids is as stupid as haranguing someone who doesn't want kids. We all have our reasons for the path we choose.

But my life won't be perfect until everyone realises that I have the perfect life because I've made all the right choices in life*, ipso facto I have to disparage people whose lifestyle differs to mine and cajole them into admitting their lives are empty and meaningless.

* In fairness, those prawns last Saturday weren't a good choice but apart from that everything has been spot on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Caliden wrote: »

I hate when people go on about how hard the next stage is going to be
    And then when I say it's sound they say well the. Next next stage is worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Spot on here with this. I know a couple and they would be lucky to see their kids for an hour each evening. I don't understand that all. Why have children to leave them in daycare or with a childminder or nanny from morning til evening/night?

I'm approaching 35 this year and if I was asked many years ago if I wanted babies and children, I would have jumped at saying this. Now it wouldn't be viable at all, at all. If I was to go down the path of having a baby, taking my current circumstances, I'd be working just to pay out more in childcare. Where is the sense in that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Ireland has(still?) the highest birth rates in European Union. I was thinking why would anyone want to have children. Seems to me like a self inflicted torture. Screaming, shouting pooping, huge responsibility for absolute minimum of 18 years. I was thinking maybe Ireland has highest birth rate because abortion is illegal? So people who don't want children are still forced to have unwanted children which results in abuse and children growing up and resorting to crime (proven by studies). For example Germany has lowest birth rate in Europe, can someone explain to me correlation between the birth rates of Ireland and Germany?

Old article from Irish times
    I doubt much has changed

IRELAND HAS the highest birth rate in Europe, according to the latest statistics from the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

The birth rate of 17 per 1,000 of population, up from 14.4 per 1,000 in 2000, was the highest of any of the 27 countries of the European Union in 2009, according to the Perinatal Statistics Report 2009 published yesterday.

How many of these new babies come from Non Irish National Families?

Abortion? Unlikely.

Who is forcing the parent to have the child? Send for adoption

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Just spent the afternoon having lunch while my 2 DS ran around showing their dirty nappies to people. Great craic. Going to get some Dutch Gold and WKD with the childrens allowance now and upload some pics of DS to Facebook and Instagram. Life is good xox

How is the new Dacia?

Jack, when you have children, you tend not to worry about this kind of thing. You get a better perspective on what matters in life.

Like I said, you'll turn into a man one day.

I'd never buy a car on Angel Dust. You're asking for trouble…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Not necessarily. Inflation has remained relatively constant overall, even during the Great recession and after.

The problem, as people like Thomas Piketty have shown conclusively, is that wealth distribution has slowed considerably, causing Capital to dominate Growth. And nobody in power is bold enough, or cares enough, to address this fundamental problem. Any reaction against the system results in those such as Trump taking charge, which will only exacerbate and prolong growing economic inequality in developed countries. It's hilarious really.

That basket of goods used to calculate inflation does not include housing.

Malari wrote: »
    Interesting. In other words, this is the first generation that has had a choice to reproduce and everyone who does so is passing on genes for wanting kids?

How do you explain people who don't want kids although their parents did, if it's solely genetic? :pac:

It's a new breed of self-obsessed loudmouths, who don't have the foresight to realise that having children is not 20 years of changing nappies and supermarket tantrums.

They don't even have the balls to admit they are not able for it, they will use excuses like population control to weasel out.

Their parents, by definition, had the strength to raise children. These people don't. That's why those genes dying off are good for society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I fcuking hate parents who look down on others for not wanting or having kids. They're usually far worse than the people they attempt to patronise.

I fcuking hate parents who look down on others for not wanting or having kids. They're usually far worse than the people they attempt to patronise.

My problem is not someone not wanting children, it's the bull**** excuses they use.....population control, don't have the money, my career is too important, have dogs/cats, and my favourite "I don't like children". That's the best one....the moronic assumption that they would have the same feeling for their own child as they would for the one crying in Tesco.

Give me a break, if they were honest about it and admitted they wouldn't be able for it, I'd have respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's a new breed of self-obsessed loudmouths, who don't have the foresight to realise that having children is not 20 years of changing nappies and supermarket tantrums.

They don't even have the balls to admit they are not able for it, they will use excuses like population control to weasel out.

Their parents, by definition, had the strength to raise children. These people don't. That's why those genes dying off are good for society.

Right, but that wasn't the question. What do you think "those" genes are for exactly, and what makes you think they are dying out?

Malari wrote: »
    Right, but that wasn't the question. What do you think "those" genes are for exactly, and what makes you think they are dying out?

Weak genes. They die out because weak people aren't able or willing to put their needs aside and raise a child (those with the choice obviously), therefore no weak genes passed on.

I think some fella called Darwin mentioned it before.

It's a good thing, a very good thing. Been happening in the animal kingdom for centuries.

My problem is not someone not wanting children, it's the bull**** excuses they use.....population control, don't have the money, my career is too important, have dogs/cats, and my favourite "I don't like children". That's the best one....the moronic assumption that they would have the same feeling for their own child as they would for the one crying in Tesco.

Give me a break, if they were honest about it and admitted they wouldn't be able for it, I'd have respect for them.

No one needs to justify their reasons to someone like you.

A lot of the folk who don't have the faintest clue how to bring a child up right are popping them out left right and centre and the kids are the ones suffering because of it.

I'm glad the people who don't want them aren't bringing kids into the world just because people like you don't like their excuses.

Edit: I'm sick and tired and that's my excuse for feeding the troll. More fool me. Carry on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Personally, I admire people who have the guts to own up and make that decision based on their feelings.

My mother wasn't that brave, she caved in to social pressure, and regrets it to this day.

Even my gran advised me to never have children, but in her time she really didn't have much of a choice.

No one needs to justify their reasons to someone like you.

A lot of the folk who don't have the faintest clue how to bring a child up right are popping them out left right and centre and the kids are the ones suffering because of it.

I'm glad the people who don't want them aren't bringing kids into the world just because people like you don't like their excuses.

Calm down dear.

Your point is amazing. Parents who don't know what they're doing are having loads of kids, while those that might are having none.

And you are glad about that.

Maybe you should stop contributing your populist opinions, although your "thanks" statistics must be off the scale at this rate.

Your point is amazing.

Aw thanks hun xoxox

Shenshen wrote: »
    Personally, I admire people who have the guts to own up and make that decision based on their feelings.

My mother wasn't that brave, she caved in to social pressure, and regrets it to this day.

Even my gran advised me to never have children, but in her time she really didn't have much of a choice.

So your mother regrets having you. That's not something I'd be openly admitting. Although I haven't met your mother, she may have a very good point.

• Advertisement

Christalmighty, that must be rough to hear from your own mother. What way did she express this towards you? Did she show love towards you?

Would your mother's attitude spring from your grandmother? Did she express regret at having children to your mother who in turn did the same thing to you?

I have to say that sounds like a pretty unpleasant family dynamic.

Advertisement