Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today may have been nice but Monday onwards looks dire, temps struggling in the low to mid teens for the most part with frequent bursts of rain and cold nights. Heater may have to be turned on at some point next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today may have been nice but Monday onwards looks dire, temps struggling in the low to mid teens for the most part with frequent bursts of rain and cold nights. Heater may have to be turned on at some point next week.

After the heatwave and the frequent warm nights during June, I thank the Lord. I have longed for some cold nights.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    After the heatwave and the frequent warm nights during June, I thank the Lord. I have longed for some cold nights.

for me the cold nights and cool days could have waited till final week of September!

Even 19-23C and sunny spells guaranteed for the next 3 months would be great. it's the temps struggling in the low to mid teens with grey skies, mist and drizzle during Summer is horrible and it seems a style of weather that is almost unique to Ireland during July and August most years. I just have to bank on us getting lucky and that the odd spell of fine, warm and settled weather manages to clip into Ireland for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

The amount of moaning in here!

for me the cold nights and cool days could have waited till final week of September!

Even 19-23C and sunny spells guaranteed for the next 3 months would be great. it's the temps struggling in the low to mid teens with grey skies, mist and drizzle during Summer is horrible and it seems a style of weather that is almost unique to Ireland during July and August most years. I just have to bank on us getting lucky and that the odd spell of fine, warm and settled weather manages to clip into Ireland for a few days.

19-23c for daytime temperatures with sunshine is perfect for me just as long as the nights aren't warm or humid. I have a lack of sleep with warm humid nights. Why is July 2006 my favourite Summer month? It had temperatures over 20c day after day with abundant sunshine but the nights weren't that warm or humid. Just a week before the 32c was recorded on 19 July for example, minimum air temperatures were close to freezing - yet daytime temperatures were around 18-22c or even higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In Lanzarote it was 31c at midnight on Friday night, count your blessings syran. Nights in Ireland are never extremely warm in my opinion, only once or twice do I remember temperatures above 22c at night, that's when it starts to get uncomfortable.

Open a window and you're fine.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    In Lanzarote it was 31c at midnight on Friday night, count your blessings syran.

I was in Lanzarote in August 2014 and it was hell for me with those nightime temperatures.

I always have both of my windows opened unless it's raining. That doesn't do anything for me.

Lack of wind and high humidity is what gets to me. Anyway, it's my opinion.

Different people have different acclimatisation than others. Everybody will have different weather that suits them. Some people can't sleep in warm or humid nights. Some people can't stand heatwaves. Some people can't survive through Big Freezes.

Oh and you know what day tomorrow is, don't you? It's the 130th anniversary of Ireland's warmest day on record and my article on it will be posted first thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The cool Atlantic air is even getting as far south as Madrid! BBC weather has a max of only 23c and an unbelievable min of 11c for next Thursday. (I wonder will a record be broken for the coolest June night?)
    They'll hardly be putting the heat on but will be switching the air-con off!

The cool Atlantic air is even getting as far south as Madrid! BBC weather has a max of only 23c and an unbelievable min of 11c for next Thursday. (I wonder will a record be broken for the coolest June night?)
    They'll hardly be putting the heat on but will be switching the air-con off!

I just see that now, northern half of Spain getting 3/4 days of unreasonable cool atlantic weather. The Northern coastal parts of spain getting rain and low temps that wouldn't look out of place in Ireland. France and Spain may have to put up with the atlantic influence for a few days, but in Ireland we have weeks of it to endure!

The GFS and ECMWF 00z runs both show the Azores High ridging up to Ireland very nicely by Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th July respectively. Temperatures going back up to the 20s easily in this kind of setup, however definitely not the heatwave we saw last week.

BrsexAo.png

9gyFsva.png

However, the GFS 06z is delaying the ridge to Wednesday 5th July then and even then looks like a very weak ridge over us as it tries to go into central Europe. In fact by Saturday 8th July on this run, it's showing the Atlantic winning out the battle by throwing more low pressure at us. Even with the weak ridge, temperatures are going back up to the high teens and maybe touching 20c if this comes off. I wouldn't worry too much about this though because it's too far out and the models change constantly.

zGfCMM8.png

5Gf2a4M.png

• Advertisement

In Lanzarote it was 31c at midnight on Friday night, count your blessings syran. Nights in Ireland are never extremely warm in my opinion, only once or twice do I remember temperatures above 22c at night, that's when it starts to get uncomfortable.

yeah I rarely remember nights in Ireland ever going much beyond 17C throughout the entire night. Sometimes I can be warm to begin with cools off alot after 11pm. I don't think I've ever experienced 20C+ at night in Ireland through the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

How's the weather for 7th of July in the northwest looking? Any sign of a heatwave :D

How's the weather for 7th of July in the northwest looking? Any sign of a heatwave :D

Two posts above you shall find your answer :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Two posts above you shall find your answer :cool:.

I need to get better at reading weather charts :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

An idea of the weather up until Fri. Quite wet in the Northern half of the country in places on Mon. Looks cloudy a lot of the time for the week.

tempresult_apu3.gif

Some big rainfall totals predicted by the GFS 12Z

K3WRr9V.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

In Greece myself its similarly warm but loving every minute of it. Trying not to look at the weather for next week at home but it looks pretty crap truth be told.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interesting that most of the European models are not predicting as much precipitation as the GFS and have the rain arriving further down the West coast with the N and NE missing out the bulk of the rain, shows how you need to compare a few models. No warning from Met Eireann .

fC2uo9S.png

adMRuuV.png

SI8CY06.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Whatever about tomorrow there has been a beautiful sunset here in Castlebar with loads of brightness left in the sky approaching 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A much drier and brighter morning than predicted by met eireann here in Castlebar. feeling warm to in just light winds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Warm and Sunny in the NE this morning, looks like thats all about to change though.

• Advertisement

Rain has arrived

Rained for 10mins, dry since

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A much drier and brighter morning than predicted by met eireann here in Castlebar. feeling warm to in just light winds

Shame it did not last, continuous rain since lunchtime but still feeling mild and humid.

a few drops here earlier, thankfully staying dry so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Horrible day here in Galway very heavy rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford - Bone dry here, even sunny a bit this morning. Still not looking like rain and we do actually need some.

very cool today as well, today's temps wouldn't look out of place for a mild day in February. Temps here 13/14C all day. May have to turn on the heating later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Horrible day, 8.6mm so far. Although it's better for it to rain than drizzle, it's a bit different from the Lanzarote I was in earlier.

Also, highest temperature here during the heatwave was 24.6c here in West Clare.

Have no comment on today here because it was just so boring weather wise.

• Advertisement

Pishing rain since around 5.30 here

Advertisement