Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Have no comment on today here because it was just so boring weather wise.

Wasn't that a comment? :)

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Much cooler today could have done with a hoodie coming home from work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

powering down with rain and fire lit for the evening.

Temps just edged into single digits in parts of the West, cold, wet and miserable. I know we were in for cooler conditions this week but didn't think it would get quite this cool during daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy rain falling here in South Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

14.3mm of rain in Castlebar since lunchtime, but can finally see a clearing on the radar at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Wasn't that a comment? :)

I guess it was.

Gonzo wrote: »
    powering down with rain and fire lit for the evening.

Temps just edged into single digits in parts of the West, cold, wet and miserable. I know we were in for cooler conditions this week but didn't think it would get quite this cool during daylight hours.

Tomorrow will be the warmest day of the week with temperatures getting up to the high teens and low 20s widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

10.2c this evening in late June and cold rain

Colder than a high percentage of days in Winter were.

Mid July is the nearest I can even see a glimpse of good weather

Still a warm week in July and one in August will mean 4 weeks of heat in the Sunmer even if the rest are cack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

pauldry wrote: »
    10.2c this evening in late June and cold rain

Colder than a high percentage of days in Winter were.

Mid July is the nearest I can even see a glimpse of good weather

Still a warm week in July and one in August will mean 4 weeks of heat in the Sunmer even if the rest are cack

This weekend might not be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Listening to the rain bucketing down since about 5.30, its been fairly heavy in the last hour,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still only 10C here. Shannon is way above anywhere else at 19C.

still only 10C here. Shannon is way above anywhere else at 19C.

That's an error, the METAR is only reporting 14c (15c at 1am) and my weather station here in West Clare says 14.6c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

In Lanzarote it was 31c at midnight on Friday night, count your blessings syran. Nights in Ireland are never extremely warm in my opinion, only once or twice do I remember temperatures above 22c at night, that's when it starts to get uncomfortable.

Open a window and you're fine.

Air con always does the trick for me, I love it. I never book holiday accommodation that doesn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭homenotaway

Hasn't stopped raining here (Laois/Offaly border) since 4pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Open a window and you're fine.

Sorry, but that's a bit of nonsense. Plenty of Irish humid nights with becalmed weather where the heat doesn't go anywhere. If you have a house well insulated for winter, there's a good chance it'll be much warmer inside than out too. Not to mention there are some places where leaving a window open is not conducive to a good nights sleep either.

We've a one year old and last week was misery, you're suppose to keep a baby's room temperature below 21° and it was impossible to get it below 26 before his bedtime (which is way earlier than sunset), and you can't really leave the window of a child bedroom open for a few reasons.

What I'm saying is - Ireland can be a much more annoying place to be in warmer weather because of a lack of warm weather construction techniques. No outer shutters to keep heat out of rooms, no ceiling fans to circulate air when it's too warm and too calm, certainly no air conditioning of any sort.

I'd much rather sleep through a hot (25+) night in a country which has housing built to cope with that, than a warm, humid night in an Irish house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

^^ not to mention those big black spiders crawling in the windows :eek:

much better day today, warm, 21C and things starting to dry out after yesterday and last nights relentless rain. A very short lived temporary improvement, the next few days look very cool, wet and dark with plenty of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

GFSOPUK06_144_48.png

Very cold Sunday night ahead according to the GFS! :eek:

Danno wrote: »
    GFSOPUK06_144_48.png

Very cold Sunday night ahead according to the GFS! :eek:

the next few weeks looks to be a bit of a horror show. We could end up with some record breaking cold nights, have we ever had a proper grass frost in July?

have we ever had a proper grass frost in July?

Plenty of times. Recent examples:

-2.7c at Cloosh on July 25th 2015
    -2.0c at Straide on July 6th 2011
    -1.3c at Birr on July 13th 2006

Data c/o Met Éireann

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

We had a lovely day here. Granted, it started off cold and I went out with a coat on but came home roasting and had to change into summer clothes. No rain today either. Getting married on the 7th so checking weather like a loon! Hoping the bad forecast is wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Temperatures doing well this evening. 23 degrees at Phoenix Park at 5pm and 22 at Mullingar

Lovely day today with very heavy showers and plenty of blue skies in between them. I got up to an unexpected maximum of 22.1c.

No showers and 5 minutes of sun, also an unexpected maximum, unexpectedly low of 16.4c. Fairly benign boring day, although got some outdoor stuff done so not too bad.

Models starting to show signs of high pressure ridging in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

Yeah. Like I said last week, good charts will inevitably show up after a few days of showing muck. A week is a long time in meteorology.

Ukmo being the best pick of them.

Thank God, I don't really mind poor weather, but 16mm of rain and 15c every day in midsummer is a bit much.

yesterday I was surprised about how cold it got, the dark gloom and the relentless rain all night.

Today I was surprised by the high temperatures (nudged 22C here and reached 23C nearby), the dry conditions and close to gin blue skies after 3pm.

Today was a great day, lets hope the crap conditions from tomorrow get's downgraded each day till we end up with a substantial period of dry, warm and settled conditons within the next week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oh goody.. another spell of having to look at people going around looking like bloated, purple faced cadavers. Roll on November.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Oh goody.. another spell of having to look at people going around looking like bloated, purple faced cadavers. Roll on November.

Are you for real? We get 11 months of grey misery and you're tired of a few days of sun? :cool:

Advertisement