Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Rougies wrote: »
    It's 26C on the 4pm reports, probably due to the shower that passed through. But yeah the sun is making an appearance now so it should rise again.

It may have already beaten 28.7 today, the reports on Met E website are rounded averages over the hour, not rounded max.

Moore Park in Fermoy isn't giving up its highest temp or the year crown without a struggle I see. Its at 26c now too. Hardly will get to 28c though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Murrisk wrote: »
    Still 28 at the Phoenix Park at 14:00. I don't think it'll exceed that.
    I was in the park at 2pm,very warm,and was fairly cloudy so if sky was clear all day it would have got very near 30:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Moore Park in Fermoy isn't giving up its highest temp or the year crown without a struggle I see. Its at 26c now too. Hardly will get to 28c though.

I think Moore Park surrendered. Down to 21C at 5pm while Phoenix Park back up to 27C.

Phoenix Park wins the battle of the parks. Oak Park is usually one of the favorites too but mediocre performance this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cold front gone through, 4c drop in 1hr, wind backed westerly now. Photos on Twitter. The most uneventful cold front ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The max today was 28.6 °C in the Phoenix Park, a June record for there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/877566753622110208

A photo of the cold front going over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Anyone else have a dusty car this morning?

This car was clean (well fairly clean) yesterday and today after the rain it's like this.
    2017-06-21_17.jpg

2017-06-21_17.jpg

It's even on the windscreen and that was washed with the windscreen wiper before I parked up. There's no place that dust could have blown from onto the car last night. It looks to me like it came down in the rain

Edit: I'm in wexford if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yeh maybe Saharan dust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yeh maybe Saharan dust?

Not sure it even came from that far away.
    This is a screen grab from earth nullschool.net at 12 today.
    It is a map of very fine dust but it is at surface level (I think?) and it looks to be coming from southwest England and France.

screenshot_1.png

Edit: What's that red blob in Portugal?
    I wonder is it the forest fires?
    Hardly came from there via France and sw England?
    Talking to myself now but it has been extremely hazy here today kind of like a smoke haze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Still 28 at the Phoenix Park, getting sunnier now so a long term record could be broken? 28.7c on June 6th 1950 is the one to beat.
    Records began there as long ago as 1855.
    I posted this at 1625 and got my information from met.ie but Michelle Donnelly said todays 28.6c was a June record for the P. Park .... :confused:
    I know I'm nitpicking but I think we all agree that even a difference of 0.1 degree matters when records are being kept.
    example: Before today the highest temp of 2017 was 26.9c at Moorepark just beating the 26.8c recorded at the P. Park two days earlier.
    Its not easy wearing an anorak in this heat you know!!

• Advertisement

I posted this at 1625 and got my information from met.ie but Michelle Donnelly said todays 28.6c was a June record for the P. Park .... :confused:
    I know I'm nitpicking but I think we all agree that even a difference of 0.1 degree matters when records are being kept.
    example: Before today the highest temp of 2017 was 26.9c at Moorepark just beating the 26.8c recorded at the P. Park two days earlier.
    Its not easy wearing an anorak in this heat you know!!

It says 28.7C here alright.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/extreme_maxtemps.pdf

Is it something to do with "modern" recordings vs older maybe less accurate recordings?

Rougies wrote: »
    Is it something to do with "modern" recordings vs older maybe less accurate recordings?
    I'd say it has something to do with readings being in Fahrenheit in those days?

I'd say it has something to do with readings being in Fahrenheit in those days?

Sounds plausible. Hopefully a greybeard will tell us why.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

warm/hot spell now over.

Today was good, but could have been much better if there was more sun, less wind and the high temps stayed over us for a few hours longer. It was much cloudier than expected and I think the high temps moved away quicker than expected.

Tomorrow looks like being a reasonable day then unfortunately we are into a cool, unsettled spell of muck which could potentially last longer than the more recent unsettled spell. Hopefully it won't be as bad or long lasting as I am imagining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today was good, but could have been much better if there was more sun, less wind and the high temps stayed over us for a few hours longer.

Shoulda woulda coulda! :)
    It was much cloudier than expected and I think the high temps moved away quicker than expected.

Was it? For the past week, any forecasts I looked at were saying that today would be very warm and cloudy. No mention of sun really. If anything, today was sunnier than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

Tomorrow looks like being a reasonable day then unfortunately we are into a cool, unsettled spell of muck which could potentially last longer than the more recent unsettled spell. Hopefully it won't be as bad or long lasting as I am imagining.

I agree with most of that, as the models at present look grim, but they can change really quickly.

I fully expect by next week, we will see better charts as we head into July. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Anyone else have a dusty car this morning?

Had it here as well pedigree 6. Noticed the windscreen first after jumping into the car this morning and later when walking passed a car dealership seen all the shiny cars covered in the same reddish fine dust.

Came across this site, would appear to be Sahara dust all right. Looks like it came down in the rain.

http://forecast.uoa.gr/dustindx.php

Pp5N8ye.png?1

1kWwVA8.png

Luke-m wrote: »
    I agree with most of that, as the models at present look grim, but they can change really quickly.

I fully expect by next week, we will see better charts as we head into July. :)
    Yes things can change quickly, two weeks ago it seemed odds on that this June was going to be a repeat of June 2012. It wasn't.
    I have the door and windows open at the moment with a balmy breeze blowing in and enjoying the last moments of the heatwave, theres a lot of summer left and I want more! temp now 20.0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Good riddance to this warm spell I say. Glad to see the back of it. If I had a penny for all the people I heard claiming this was 'great weather', while at the same time gasping and sweating like pigs and generally looking ill at ease, I'd be a very rich man..
    Daidle deedle daidle
    Daidle daidle deedle daidle dumb.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Good riddance to this warm spell I say. Glad to see the back of it. If I had a penny for all the people I heard claiming this was 'great weather', while at the same time gasping and sweating like pigs and generally looking ill at ease, I'd be a very rich man..
    Daidle deedle daidle
    Daidle daidle deedle daidle dumb.

lol ya miserable sod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

lol ya miserable sod

I'll try harder to keep up, and comply with, what is obviously the only acceptable standard. :P

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'll try harder to keep up, and comply with, what is obviously the only acceptable standard. :P

You can take Tuam out of misery, but you can't take the misery out of Tuam. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

I reckon at least two more heatwaves one in July and one in August. Theres nothing much happening in the Atlantic bar the next 7 days of rain or showers then a slow improving trend peaking in the 20s once more.

The only question id ask is will we get a 30 this Summer?

We wont be far off and i dont just think today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today just goes to prove, if the spell lasted longer, had more strong sunshine than today and occurred during mid July, we could potentially break the all time temperature records for Ireland under perfect conditions, I'd love to see this happen not just in my lifetime, but this summer, a 34C could be possible if all the perfect conditions are meet.

Todays 28C was very comfortable, lovely breeze and didn't in any way feel oppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Todays 28C was very comfortable, lovely breeze and didn't in any way feel oppressive.

It was truly disgusting here in Dublin 7, our house is only just now at 1:30am finally reaching a comfortable temperature downstairs. Having to leave all the windows open is a pain in the arse when you've got a baby who loves to be woken up by dogs barking, cars passing, etc.

If we lived in a world of air conditioning, I'd be happy enough, but otherwise I'll be glad to see a return to duller, cooler conditions myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My sister is still recording 26C tonight in London, her inside car reading yesterday was 44C and 34C outside, to be honest London is far worse than Dublin being in both, just no puff of breeze in London, it is like a furnace, all dead air and within seconds of going outside you are sleek wet with humidity, would prefer our usual warm days over here then what they regularly get over there.

pauldry wrote: »
    I reckon at least two more heatwaves one in July and one in August. Theres nothing much happening in the Atlantic bar the next 7 days of rain or showers then a slow improving trend peaking in the 20s once more.

The only question id ask is will we get a 30 this Summer?

We wont be far off and i dont just think today

Who knows but it's easy to forget we had a 30 degree day last summer! 19 July 2016 in the midlands apparently, according to a facebook status update I did. I must check the Summer 2016 thread on here to confirm which station recorded it.

Today just goes to prove, if the spell lasted longer, had more strong sunshine than today and occurred during mid July, we could potentially break the all time temperature records for Ireland under perfect conditions, I'd love to see this happen not just in my lifetime, but this summer, a 34C could be possible if all the perfect conditions are meet.

Reminds me of the amazing 38 degrees recorded in Kent in August 2003. The media was like "Will it happen, will it happen?" and it was acknowledged that for a record temperature to be registered, it would need to be a fully cloud-free day. The stars aligned!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Murrisk wrote: »
    Who knows but it's easy to forget we had a 30 degree day last summer! 19 July 2016 in the midlands apparently, according to a facebook status update I did. I must check the Summer 2016 thread on here to confirm which station recorded it.

Mt.Dillon to my recollection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Mt.Dillon to my recollection.

That is correct, a few months on a plan to build a solar power station there as well is also a foot.

Advertisement