Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Mt.Dillon to my recollection.

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What a big change, mist, drizzle and notably chillier here this morning. Currently 12.8c and temperatures dropping! It's a whole 10c cooler than this time yesterday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Horrible morning, bring back yesterday's weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

People forget about last year's 30c at Mt Dillon because it was a one day off and only one station recorded 30c. Also, it was during a "sh!t Summer" as everybody said on here.

Very uneventful here this morning with overcast skies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

totally different season/continent/country today. Dull, grey and cool. I thought we would have gotten a half decent day with sunny spells and temps up to 21 or 22C, don't think we will even get 18C today judging by how cool it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not much different in NW to past few days

Actually brighter than some

Another heat surge is sure to happen in the coming weeks.

The weathers been following a similar pattern for past 6 months

Lots of quiet weather then a week or 10 days unsettled then quiet again etc

Even looking back to September its followed this
    In Winter the quiet periods were mild and dry but in Summer they are much more pleasant.

I also thing the NW will do better in the next one as SW airflow was just too far South

Ok how do I know? Well youve got to be positive. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temps have dropped here again after a high of 16C this morning, back down to 15C now.

Sunshine finally showing itself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No difference here, actually a little warmer than this time yesterday when the wind was off the sea. Currently 23c due to Wicklow fohn as usual in a westerly.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

sryanbruen wrote: »
    People forget about last year's 30c at Mt Dillon because it was a one day off and only one station recorded 30c. Also, it was during a "sh!t Summer" as everybody said on here.

It was two good days in a row, it wasn't just one. And other stations around the country scored very high maxima that day. The whole country sweltered for those two days. 30 is 30!

• Advertisement

Murrisk wrote: »
    It was two good days in a row, it wasn't just one. And other stations around the country scored very high maxima that day. The whole country sweltered for those two days. 30 is 30!

By one day off, I meant only one day with 30c. The 18th did not record 30c, unlike previous hot spells such as July 2013 or July 2006 where multiple consecutive days had 30c somewhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Actually a beautiful afternoon in Cork. Not as warm as recently but still hot in the sun. Shorts and tee shirt in the garden again unexpectedly. Last day for a while I fear.....

Don't see how the next week is looking as poor as people say. Looks like very typical Irish summer weather to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Actually a beautiful afternoon in Cork. Not as warm as recently but still hot in the sun. Shorts and tee shirt in the garden again unexpectedly. Last day for a while I fear.....

Very unexpected but a cracking day! Comfortably warm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,160 ✭✭✭✭km79

It was oppressive today from about 12 to 6
    Was very hard stay out by the pool but I persevered

Tenerife ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Horrible cold, wet and windy day in Donegal, wouldn't feel out of place in mid December. Cant get any worse at least.

..or maybe it can

Screen_Shot_2017_06_22_at_20_16_21.png

Horrible cold, wet and windy day in Donegal, wouldn't feel out of place in mid December. Cant get any worse at least.

..or maybe it can

Screen_Shot_2017_06_22_at_20_16_21.png

It can. You could get snow and have temperatures in the single figures like early June 2009 or June 1975 in parts of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Fairly windy out there especially for the end of june - Galway

Similar to how yesterday started, overcast and quiet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

Jetstreams taking a south tun for the next 10 days

Great.

Rain or showers daily till early July at least..

Hope heatwave returns by mid July

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Jetstreams taking a south tun for the next 10 days

Great.

Rain or showers daily till early July at least..

Hope heatwave returns by mid July

I really hope your right, I know we had about 5 great days, but the first 2 weeks of June and this final week of June is a write off, then it's possible the first 2 to 3 weeks of July could be similar. If that happened not sure that 5 good days is enough to save a mostly unremarkable summer with lots of cool muck. If the second half of July and most of August and start of September end up being mostly dry, settled and warm, then we could declare this a good summer overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

A reminder of MT's summer predictions as we move into the last week of June. Could be said to be spot on so far, here's hoping the predicted improvement mid July onwards comes to pass!

"Summer 2017 Outlook -- Based on my research and a review of current trends in the global circulation, I am optimistic that this could become a relatively warm summer with one or two warm spells bordering on heat wave status for parts of the inland southeast and central counties. There may, however, be some rough stretches of cloudy, sometimes wet weather in June and the first week or two of July before this good summer weather fully asserts itself. Once established, the warmer trend may last well into September. So the two key features of my outlook would be (a) warmth becoming dominant around mid-July and (b) generally an improving trend as we go through the season. If this unfolds in that general way, it may appear that the summer is not starting out particularly well at some point in June, so I would say patience may be required and expect the best of the weather to fall after mid-July. That is not ruling out one settled week with plenty of sunshine sometime in June. As some of the analogues that I identified from similar trends include notable hot summers in the past, I can't rule out the possibility that this summer will do better than a slight improvement over average values. There is some chance, as I think others have been saying, that the summer will be a very good one. I am a bit hesitant to go "all in" on that because some analogues went in a different direction, especially in June. Whatever comes, I hope you enjoy your summer. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I think some people have a gift on how they can read and interpret weather charts and see what possibly is coming down the line.
    M.t Cranium is one but here's another from Tamara on netweather.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/87748-model-output-discussions-12z-01062017/?do=findComment&comment=3596965

Today is the best day we've had so far since the hot spell ended on Wednesday evening. Warmer than previous days at 18C and strong sunshine between the clouds.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today is the best day we've had so far since the hot spell ended on Wednesday evening. Warmer than previous days at 18C and strong sunshine between the clouds.

Yup. Another beautiful day here too. This unsettled weekend ain't too bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Nice day in South Dublin, about 21 according to the car. sunny spells, very nice.

Absolutely stunning day and evening in Cork. Sun broke through before noon and its been blue sky virtually since. Still 20c+ . Thursday was the same. I do like this "breakdown"!

Glorious day here too with on and off sunshine but warm all the while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Warm today and in Waterford for the marathon, summer has arrived. Max here about 23 again. Shaping up to be a very dry year here so far.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Overcast for most of the day in Castlebar with some light showers, it only got up to 15C.

Advertisement