Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Danno wrote: »
    Interesting thought - say the Irish sea didn't exist and we were joined to GB via Rosslare->Penbroke and Larne->Campbellstown. We'd have an interesting mini-Iberian landmass. We'd have a mini-continental climate, like inland parts of N France. Cooler winters and warmer summers.

I've often thought about that, what would our climate be like if we were land locked to the UK all the way from Rosslare over to Belfast, our summers would be much warmer, particularly during spells like this. 34 or 35C would be easily achieved in Dublin.

The one thing we would miss out on would be an easterly with snow trains, as we would be landlocked to the Uk easterlys would be bitterly cold but unlikely to produce much of any showers, they would have to make their way over from the North Sea. Perhaps during breakdowns of cold spells, we may witness from frontal snow from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

High Temperature Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Wicklow and Meath
    Maxima of 27C or 28 C expected on Wednesday

Issued:Tuesday 20th June 2017 13:00
    Valid:Wednesday 21 June 2017 12:00 to Wednesday 21 June 2017 18:00
    28c !! incredible!
    Today reminds me of an April day - warm in the sun and feeling chilly in the wind. Hard to believe its 17.3c at the moment, feels a lot cooler.
    Not a day for the seaside on the east coast today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've often thought about that, what would our climate be like if we were land locked to the UK all the way from Rosslare over to Belfast, our summers would be much warmer, particularly during spells like this. 34 or 35C would be easily achieved in Dublin.

The one thing we would miss out on would be an easterly with snow trains, as we would be landlocked to the Uk easterlys would be bitterly cold but unlikely to produce much of any showers, they would have to make their way over from the North Sea. Perhaps during breakdowns of cold spells, we may witness from frontal snow from the west.

Indeed! Perhaps get onto Trump - drain the swamp (Irish Sea) and build that wall (Rosslare sea wall) LOLs! :D :pac: :p

Anyways, back OT. High cloud pushing quickly in across Munster and some of the south Tipp mtns are throwing up convection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Indeed! Perhaps get onto Trump - drain the swamp (Irish Sea) and build that wall (Rosslare sea wall) LOLs! :D :pac: :p

Us Wexicans would be on the wrong side of that wall for him.:)

• Advertisement

17062113_2006.gif

Hard to follow the colours on this KNMI-HIRLAM chart, but is that 30c in parts of N Tipp and Laois tomorrow???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

23.2C and blue skies currently in Castlebar with a nice slight northerly breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Conservative from Met regarding tomorrow. Dublin CC going to be baking, I'll punt for 30C at Phoenix Park

Now 25.5c here - dewpoint is at 18.2c (64%RH). Spent the last hour cutting grass that I didn't get to yesterday evening - what a feckin day for the self-drive cable to snap. Sweating buckets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭squarecircles

would i be right in thinking that it touched 30 degrees during summer 2013 and also on a day last summer in july,(i remember Joanna Donnelly tweeting about it)if we get 30 tomorrow that will be three summers this decade already where it has done so,where by normally it was once a decade, a sign of things to come in general perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

would i be right in thinking that it touched 30 degrees during summer 2013 and also on a day last summer in july,if we get 30 tomorrow that will be three summers this decade already where it has done so,where by its usually it was once a decade, a sign of things to come in general perhaps?

Yes. And the average is twice a decade, not once.

A rally in temps here now, 26.8c and dewpoint of 19.4c. (AWS station)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes. And the average is twice a decade, not once.

Not normally in June though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

My phone app is showing rain right on the coast of kerry and Mayo.

WTF

Go away till Thursday you clown

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pauldry wrote: »
    My phone app is showing rain right on the coast of kerry and Mayo.

WTF

Go away till Thursday you clown

Some heavy rain bands out on the west coast, moving north though so should just clip the outer edges, the rain band to the south could provide some local thundery showers in Cork and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

BBC forecast said the showers out to the west of ireland,while not much rain might make it to the ground there could be a fair bit of lightning in them. might head out to the coast later.

Nope. There's only been two decades where June has reached 30c since the 1940s in Ireland: 1970s and 1990s.

clouded over here in west Mayo about an hour ago,very sultry though,unlikely to drop below 17 degrees tonight.brief thundery bursts forecast.unfortunately no proper thunderstorm activity.

BBC forecast said the showers out to the west of ireland,while not much rain might make it to the ground there could be a fair bit of lightning in them. might head out to the coast later.

oh,keeps camera at the ready,
    im perched here right on the Mayo coast,

A rally in temps here now, 26.8c and dewpoint of 19.4c. (AWS station)

Caused by a wind direction change from NNE to E.
    Gone higher again, 27.3c. (AWS)
    More of a breeze now, so expecting the screen to be closer to the AWS this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

22c in Sligo our best of this spell so far (pathetic I know)

but 26c is our hottest of year and that will unlikely be threatened even tomorrow when id punt for 24c here or 25

Got to 31c I remember in Dooks Co Kerry in 2013

tomorrow it might hit 30c at a NOT regular met station but one of the other 2 or 300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Rougies wrote: »
    Definitely. The official stations are situated well away from buildings and roads for a reason. Even a small patch of tarmac too close to a station could cause a localised increase in temp. They need to record temps that are the least effected by local variables as possible. So if it's 26.8C at the phoenix park station, it's going to hotter in the surrounding built up areas for sure.

Tanx luv for the explanation. :D Makes sense!

John.Icy wrote: »
    I get that - but there has to be something else to it.

Ignoring different aged people and just me taking people my own age. We've all grown up in this country, we're all Irish people, similar diets etc etc. What makes some people find 20 degrees oppressive and others like me need another 10 degrees on top of that? Suppose it's the same with cold and how some people feel much colder.

All kinds of variables. A relation of mine lost four stone in a year. She can't believe how much better she can handle heat now. And she felt much colder in winter than before once she lost the weight. She used to be able to go sock-free in winter before she lost the weight and now she has to bundle up much more on cold days. So even something like how much weight you are carrying can have a huge effect on how you handle various temperatures.

Also, I think if we have a sustained good spell, we can acclimatise. I was eleven in the summer of 1995 whilst you were filling your nappy. :P Late June to early September was basically wall to wall sun with an handful of cloudy, thundery days scattered throughout. As you imagine, I spent the whole summer holidays outside playing and swimming that year and you really do get used to the heat! Whenever we get an amazing spell of weather, I always say "I could live like this" and it's true, I could!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Nope. There's only been two decades where June has reached 30c since the 1940s in Ireland: 1970s and 1990s.

I'm guessing the infamous summers of 1976 and 1995 figure in those statistics.  I cannot say which months 30+ temps were reached but I've been a weather anorak since the late 1980s and can recall temps of 30 or 31C being reached in 1989, 1990, 1995 (the hottest summer I can remember where temps of 27 and more were routinely reached in June, July and August), 2003 (the year 1000s died across Europe from heat), 2006, 2013 and 2016.  The elusive 32C was last reached at an official Met Eireann station in 1976 from what I recall reading about past hot weather events.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I heard about a family with 2 teenagers, the father used to live in central Ireland and over 15 years ago moved to Sydney, Australia and raised a family.

They arrived in Ireland for a 2 week holiday (the teens first time outside of Australia) recently during the recent unsettled spell of weather. The teenagers could not deal with our weather, they borrowed winter clothing and were bored stupid for the entire 2 weeks, wishing they were back in Sydney and looking out at rain and dark skies everyday for almost 2 weeks.

it really goes to show that they could have had a much better holiday here if they were lucky enough to arrive in Ireland during a fine spell of weather, it changes everything.

I remember about 10 years ago we went on a short summer break to Galway and spent the 2 days sitting in the hotel room looking out at the rain coming down in sheets.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm guessing the infamous summers of 1976 and 1995 figure in those statistics.  I cannot say which months 30+ temps were reached but I've been a weather anorak since the late 1980s and can recall temps of 30 or 31C being reached in 1989, 1990, 1995 (the hottest summer I can remember where temps of 27 and more were routinely reached in June, July and August), 2003 (the year 1000s died across Europe from heat), 2006, 2013 and 2016.  The elusive 32C was last reached at an official Met Eireann station in 1976 from what I recall reading about past hot weather events.

All them summers bar 1990 did record 30c yes - though 1990 was very close to reaching it.
    These are Ireland's maximum temperatures for every year since 1988

2016: 30.4c at Mount Dillon on July 19th
    2015: 26.1c at Glasnevin on June 30th
    2014: 28.8c at Durrow on July 25th
    2013: 31.0c at Dooks on July 19th
    2012: 28.3c at Ardfert on May 25th
    2011: 26.0c at Cavan & Athy on June 3rd
    2010: 26.8c at Ardfert on May 23rd
    2009: 28.6c at Galway on June 2nd
    2008: 25.2c at Shannon Airport on July 24th
    2007: 26.9c at Ballyshannon on June 9th
    2006: 32.3c at Elphin on July 19th
    2005: 30.3c at Kildalton on July 12th
    2004: 27.3c at Birr on August 1st
    2003: 30.3c at Belderrig on August 8th
    2002: 25.6c at Clones on August 5th
    2001: 28.4c at Ardee on July 28th
    2000: 28.1c at Ballygar on June 18th
    1999: 27.4c at Kilkenny on July 31st
    1998: 25.4c at Belmullet on September 21st
    1997: 28.4c at Ardfert on May 31st
    1996: 27.0c at Shannon Airport on June 16th
    1995: 30.8c at Kilkenny on August 2nd
    1994: 25.1c at Casement Aerodrome on July 23rd
    1993: 25.0c at Cathaleen's Fall on June 28th
    1992: 25.6c at Birr on June 29th
    1991: 28.4c at Cahirciveen on September 5th
    1990: 29.5c at Casement Aerodrome on August 3rd
    1989: 30.0c at Shannon Airport on July 18th
    1988: 25.1c at Birr on June 14th

Information from Met Éireann's weather summaries and bulletins.

Smyth wrote: »
    As people who've paid attention to weather over the last few years, do we ever get a decent stretch of summer? What are July and August usually like? I was never paying attention. I love the sun, but the warmer it is the more I say to myself "we'll pay for this one…"

The last truly decent stretch was 1995, two and a half months basically. A few summers since have had maybe a full week or full two to three weeks (2006) of amazing weather but that's it really.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I heard about a family with 2 teenagers, the father used to live in central Ireland and over 15 years ago moved to Sydney, Australia and raised a family.

They arrived in Ireland for a 2 week holiday (the teens first time outside of Australia) recently during the recent unsettled spell of weather. The teenagers could not deal with our weather, they borrowed winter clothing and were bored stupid for the entire 2 weeks, wishing they were back in Sydney and looking out at rain and dark skies everyday for almost 2 weeks.

it really goes to show that they could have had a much better holiday here if they were lucky enough to arrive in Ireland during a fine spell of weather, it changes everything.

I remember about 10 years ago we went on a short summer break to Galway and spent the 2 days sitting in the hotel room looking out at the rain coming down in sheets.

I had the same problem in Doolin a few years back. An absolutely gorgeous location runned by the horrible, rainy weather. Some American friends of mine returned to the US after a holiday just before this good spell started. They are so annoyed that they missed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

24.2C in Galway city making this the warmest day of the year - so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lumi wrote: »
    24.2C in Galway city making this the warmest day of the year - so far!

and back to 19c in Cork city (though 24c in Fermoy) when it was roasting earlier and the last 4 days! Amazing the temp differences we get in a small island. Cork has done fantastically in this spell but there have been 2 or 3 sunny spells in recent years (including earlier this year) where we've had to listen everyone in the country going on about the amazing weather when its been cloudy and 17c degrees here. I think that fate has befallen the NW this time up to now - but from met.ie I see now however that Mayo and Sligo seem to be at 23c and 24c this afternoon. Enjoy it lads and lassies!

Advertisement