Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Rougies wrote: »
    Their criteria for a yellow warning is max temps of 27C, so technically they were (just) right not putting out a warning going by official station maxes. It definitely got over 27C in many places over the past few days, especially in urban areas due to the heat island effect but I suppose they can't take every variable into account.

I wonder if it did? I know the official weather stations can't be everywhere but they are well-distributed. And I don't trust home stations as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I find it amazing how few heat lovers there are in Ireland. I know I'm fairly unique in the sense that I enjoy intense heat, high humidity and dead hot air and the likes, but so many people even at a mere 20 degrees are at their limit. Overheard people in 24 degree weather the other day saying it's too hot to be outside. I have friends who call 15-18 degrees warm and what not and I just don't get how so many people similar age tolerate and feel heat so differently. Maybe it's an age thing and my youth will catch up and soon I'll curse 20 degree weather.

For me, 25-30+ is ideal and I don't find it oppressive in the slightest, the 28/29 degree day in Sligo last year was glorious but found myself wanting even hotter.

Suppose maybe many holidays abroad during my childhood changed how I feel warmth? I also always laughed at the notion of people calling me a 'Sun baby' because I liked heat so much (born during the 1995 Summer) but maybe after all it did change me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Murrisk wrote: »
    I wonder if it did? I know the official weather stations can't be everywhere but they are well-distributed. And I don't trust home stations as much.

Definitely. The official stations are situated well away from buildings and roads for a reason. Even a small patch of tarmac too close to a station could cause a localised increase in temp. They need to record temps that are the least effected by local variables as possible. So if it's 26.8C at the phoenix park station, it's going to hotter in the surrounding built up areas for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

John.Icy wrote: »
    I find it amazing how few heat lovers there are in Ireland.

It's hardly a mystery, given that we grew up with a particular climate and are used to operating in the standard conditions that exist for 8-10 months of the year. Weather in a certain sense is subjective, it's why you see Mediterranean-originated immigrations wearing thick coats here on sunny days where it's 18-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Didnt get much above 17c in Sligo today due to NW nature of wind but then changed NE in evening and tomorrow 23 or 24c here with thunder in the evening possible. Might be down to 12c by weekend but theres another heatwave of mid twenties likely in the second week of July in some parts. Could be a repeat of this with Northern half seeing fog and 15c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's hardly a mystery, given that we grew up with a particular climate and are used to operating in the standard conditions that exist for 8-10 months of the year. Weather in a certain sense is subjective, it's why you see Mediterranean-originated immigrations wearing thick coats here on sunny days where it's 18-20.

Yeah I've lived in the tropics for the past few years, anything below about 24C is noticeably 'cool' and below 20C is positively cold, I wouldn't even blink at 34C with 85% humidity. A few weeks in Ireland though and already 20C feels warm, it's funny how quick you get acclimatised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

MJohnston wrote: »

I get that - but there has to be something else to it.

Ignoring different aged people and just me taking people my own age. We've all grown up in this country, we're all Irish people, similar diets etc etc. What makes some people find 20 degrees oppressive and others like me need another 10 degrees on top of that? Suppose it's the same with cold and how some people feel much colder.

Presumably would have to turn to genetics to find variability in heat tolerance between people of similar age, physical characteristics and environments but thats a discussion for a bioinformatician who has looked at the genome when it comes to weather feel/adaptation if such work has ever been done or is possible.

Maybe it's all in our heads.

EDIT: To Acequion below - haha yes good spot on the username. Unfortunately John.SunBaby was taken :D:D As much as I love heat, very cold and snowy weather during winter probably clinches it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

I find it amazing how few heat lovers there are in Ireland. I know I'm fairly unique in the sense that I enjoy intense heat, high humidity and dead hot air and the likes, but so many people even at a mere 20 degrees are at their limit. Overheard people in 24 degree weather the other day saying it's too hot to be outside. I have friends who call 15-18 degrees warm and what not and I just don't get how so many people similar age tolerate and feel heat so differently. Maybe it's an age thing and my youth will catch up and soon I'll curse 20 degree weather.

For me, 25-30+ is ideal and I don't find it oppressive in the slightest, the 28/29 degree day in Sligo last year was glorious but found myself wanting even hotter.

Suppose maybe many holidays abroad during my childhood changed how I feel warmth? I also always laughed at the notion of people calling me a 'Sun baby' because I liked heat so much (born during the 1995 Summer) but maybe after all it did change me :D

What a funny user name for a sun baby :pac::pac: But I totally get you. I too was born during a legendary hot summer [won't say which one :) and I've always hankered after proper summer weather. Like you I find 25-30 just perfect,so perfect that it's normal,hence a typical Irish summer of 16-18 degrees and grey skies is very abnormal for me. I just can't hack it and generally try to spend as much of the summer period as possible out of Ireland. As for humidity, I've no problem with it in Ireland as it heats the place up,but wouldn't be gone on it abroad when temps are over 30. Dry heat is nicest there,I think.

I also find the Irish attitude to heat a bit foreign,though I'm Irish born and bred. So maybe there's something in making our entrance into the world in a heatwave or maybe we've foreign blood in us.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

To be fair I've worked in absoutley horid clothing as employment has necessitated through summer heatwaves and it really drains you. I've actually left a (summer) job due to how awful the clothing was, everytime the sun came out you'd sweat like a pig, €8 an hour wasn't enough for feeling disgusting all day.

Hence I do understand why some people would dislike it, although personally I love it.

As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad weather, only a bad choice of clothes. That works for hot weather too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

!!! 30 DEGREES POSSIBLE TOMORROW !!!

latest from MT...

WEDNESDAY ... Sunny intervals, very warm (hot might apply in Leinster) with highs making a run into the high 20s and possibly very close to 30 degrees in the east and southeast, some central counties also; highs 22 to 25 C in west and north. A few isolated showers or thunderstorms will probably develop along troughs and a cold front sweeping through from west to east during the late afternoon. (Highs in southern England could easily reach 34 C and in northern France about 36 C).

latest from met.ie

Very warm and humid on Wednesday. There will be decent spells of hazy sunshine, but cloud will thicken across western counties later in the day and there is the risk of a few sharp showers breaking out. Top temperatures of 23 to 27 degrees generally but reaching 28 or 29 degrees in parts of Leinster. Light to moderate winds, mainly southerly in direction.

You know it must be hot on the continent when little old Ireland is nudging 30.Id imagine a heat warning may be issued.

side note

The UK Met Office said yesterday

This hot spell is set to be the first time for over 20 years that somewhere in the UK has reached over 30 °C for 5 consecutive days in June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bit of a breeze already in Waterford thank gawd! 18.8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Already 22C at Valentia on Met Eireann's 9am readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10am met reports, Valentia 23 degrees!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Screen max of 27.1c yesterday. The AWS recorded 27.7c so a slight over-exposure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

I love it all the way up to around 34c (which we obviously never get here in Ireland). Beyond that it becomes uncomfortable for me if in direct sunlight. That's why I love the climate of Greece and Cyprus. It can get similarly hot in central Florida, but the high humidity there makes it more uncomfortable. Even the low thirties can be too much of its very humid.
    At night on holidays I prefer the temp to stay in the upper twenties until after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

the forecast for Dublin tomorrow,this is my ideal type of weather.

Hot and humid with spells of hazy sunshine. There is the risk of a few thundery downpours in the evening. Maximum temperatures of 26 to 29 degrees:cool: in moderate southerly winds, but a few degrees cooler along the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

25C in Valentia at 11am:eek:

nagdefy wrote: »
    25C in Valentia at 11am:eek:

No doubt a local fohn effect there - often see this in the March->June period of the year when the winds are anything from a NE to a SSE direction there. The sea breeze will probably kick in there shortly and it will drop back if it can counter the prevailing direction today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

much cooler here today, but it is still extremely pleasant and blue skies. Could hit 21C here later.

Tomorrow could possibly be too much for some people, with temps of 25-29C in parts of Leinster, potentially 10C warmer than today's temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

"few days of sun? Here. Have a week of rain" - Kindly, Ireland

I've never really paid attention to forecasts up until this year for some reason. Maybe it being front and center on my phone has something to do with it. Always checked in the morning for the day ahead. Ignorance definitely was bliss.

As people who've paid attention to weather over the last few years, do we ever get a decent stretch of summer? What are July and August usually like? I was never paying attention. I love the sun, but the warmer it is the more I say to myself "we'll pay for this one…"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cooler today but to be honest it actually feels more pleasant. Hot in the sunshine.

19.4c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Heating up nicely in Galway city now that the cloud is burning off - currently 19.1C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

At long last the sun is shining in Donegal, only 16C but after what must have been at least 10 100% overcast days in a row I'll take anything

Cracker of a day here in Castlebar, clear blue skies all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

And leading the way at midday is... Valentia :confused: - 26C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Danno wrote: »
    No doubt a local fohn effect there - often see this in the March->June period of the year when the winds are anything from a NE to a SSE direction there. The sea breeze will probably kick in there shortly and it will drop back if it can counter the prevailing direction today.

Yeah I remember a similar spell once time and it was 23c in Valentia at 10am and at 2 or 3pm it was 21c due to the sea breeze

Imagine how hot it could be in Ireland if we were landlocked! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireann showing the possibility of 28c for me tomorrow. Could potentially be a new June record. My record stands at 27.8c in June 1995.

Now this is what I like, records being broken!

Met reports at 1pm. Valentia back to 25 degrees as some high cloud moves in. Shannon and Moorepark(Cork) up to 24 degrees.

pauldry wrote: »
    Imagine how hot it could be in Ireland if we were landlocked! :P

Interesting thought - say the Irish sea didn't exist and we were joined to GB via Rosslare->Penbroke and Larne->Campbellstown. We'd have an interesting mini-Iberian landmass. We'd have a mini-continental climate, like inland parts of N France. Cooler winters and warmer summers.

• Advertisement

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

High Temperature Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Wicklow and Meath
    Maxima of 27C or 28 C expected on Wednesday

Issued:Tuesday 20th June 2017 13:00
    Valid:Wednesday 21 June 2017 12:00 to Wednesday 21 June 2017 18:00

Advertisement