Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Con March 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭da gamer

me_irl wrote: »
    "few"? Did you see the queue of people?

What's with all the avoidance? Surely you could answer these very easy questions and not immediately be on the defensive.

Your posts reek of shilling. And if that's true, absolutely horrendous to defend such an over-hyped and badly organised event.

Like I said, I didn't see the que because I walked straight in the main door.
    Also I haven't avoided anything. I'll refer you to my previous post where I listed the highlights of my day at Ireland's premier gaming convention, Gamercon.

To my knowledge consoles can be set to run in kiosk/demo mode. Also it was pretty f'n stupid to not use actual kiosks if the consoles weren't supervised as in the old fashioned controller is mounted to an arm that I recall playing mario 3 in dunnes some 25+ years ago :D

Beggars belief how even details like that went over looked.

Got caught out? That's a nice way to put it. I would have said left waiting because they deliberately sold too many tickets to make more money.

Perhaps your right, caught out isn't the right term and I would not condone any paying customer, especially children, being made que for hours only to be then turned away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

da gamer wrote: »
    ...Ireland's premier gaming convention, Gamercon.

"I rest my case Your Honour." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Got caught out? That's a nice way to put it. I would have said left waiting because they deliberately sold too many tickets to make more money.

It's like a restaurant if you have a 100 seats you don't just book up the 100 seats and take no more bookings, You turnover the customers and hope to book it up twice.

I'm guessing they thought the older gamers wouldn't arrive until later in the afternoon and the kids would be burnt out by midday and have gone on their way hence the way they had it planned with the kiddie youtubers and meet and greets in the morning. But it backfired big time.

• Advertisement

me_irl wrote: »

"I rest my case Your Honour." :pac:

Dude give up the troll hint was in the cosplay mentioning , no way this person rocked up as "Kasumi from Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Ireland's premier gaming convention, Gamercon.

Hahahahaha! In the spirit of all things gaming, your clear support of this convention, and in tribute to other nefarious practices by those in the gaming industry, care to offer me a season pass for next year's event? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That reminds me, when I was queuing inside for my VIP badge. It turned into a complaints line. When I eventually got to the top, the guy in front of me was showing the desk his ticket for entry. They asked how come it wasn't scanned already and he said he just walked in the front door and thought that's where he had to show his ticket. Apparently people were strolling in the front while staff at front were busy dealing with complaints. They told him to leave and join the massive queue outside. He looked a bit confused but somehow doubt he went back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    It's like a restaurant if you have a 100 seats you don't just book up the 100 seats and take no more bookings, You turnover the customers and hope to book it up twice.

I'm guessing they thought the older gamers wouldn't arrive until later in the afternoon and the kids would be burnt out by midday and have gone on their way hence the way they had it planned with the kiddie youtubers and meet and greets in the morning. But if backfired big time.

Yeah, but expecting a turnover of over 4,000? Dublin Comic Con sells 10,000 per day, 600 more than the capacity of the venue then as the con starts to quiet down do they let more non reg/general admittance attendees in.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Hahahahaha! In the spirit of all things gaming, your clear support of this convention, and in tribute to other nefarious practices by those in the gaming industry, care to offer me a season pass for next year's event? :pac:

You may laugh now but today couldn't have went much better for Gamercon, number 1 trending hashtag in Ireland today, making the headlines of the news. You can't buy this kind of publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

You may laugh now but today couldn't have went much better for Gamercon, number 1 trending hashtag in Ireland today, making the headlines of the news. You can't buy this kind of publicity.

For all the wrong reasons man

Anyway silver lining we sent out 3 year old to the folks earlier so we could get there early tomorrow and now that we are not going we are getting **** faced for the first time in a fair bit and not telling them we didn't go :D

Best get my coat here before I get messy :pac:

Night all and hopefully anyone braving it tomorrow has a better time of it than those today.

Anyway silver lining we sent out 3 year old to the folks earlier so we could get there early tomorrow and now that we are not going we are getting **** faced for the first time in a fair bit and not telling them we didn't go :D

Best get my coat here before I get messy :pac:

Night all and hopefully anyone braving it tomorrow has a better time of it than those today.

Have a good one mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Yeah, but expecting a turnover of over 4,000? Dublin Comic Con sells 10,000 per day, 600 more than the capacity of the venue then as the con starts to quiet down do they let more non reg/general admittance attendees in.

And that's where it backfired.

I'm sure they planned the numbers with the amount of tickets sold.

I cant really see them selling that many more tickets knowing that people wont get in at all and have all the extra cost of admin with issuing refunds and all the bad press that goes with it. That's just suicide.

It's the first time, some bad decisions, and if it does happen again next year after the disaster that was today maybe then they can plan better.

Dude give up the troll hint was in the cosplay mentioning , no way this person rocked up as "Kasumi from Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball." :D

I'm familiar with the series' "physics" but *googles*... oh....OOOOOOOOHHHH.... :pac:

*ruffles through files*

*adjusts tie*

If the glove don't fit, I must acquit.

For all the wrong reasons man

No such thing as bad publicity man.

Do you think the main sources of information in this country: Irish Times, RTE, TheJournal.ie, Facebook and Twitter showed GamerCon in a positive or negative light?

In fact, show me a report that puts the convention in a positive light. In the words of Samuel L. Jackson: "I dare you."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    It's the first time, some bad decisions, and if it does happen again next year after the disaster that was today maybe then they can plan better.

Based on what I've heard of the actions on the inside of the convention, there's a lot more than just volume of tickets sold that needs to be worked on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is it a case of" all publicity is good publicity, even the bad stuff"

Do you think the main sources of information in this country: Irish Times, RTE, TheJournal.ie, Facebook and Twitter showed GamerCon in a positive or negative light?

In fact, show me a report that puts the convention in a positive light. In the words of Samuel L. Jackson: "I dare you."

Answer to your first question is no.
    I don't know if there is a positive report. I never said there was one. I just said that you can't buy this kind of publicity.

• Advertisement

I just said that you can't buy this kind of publicity.

That's because only a fool would pay for negative feedback. Do you see cancer for sale anywhere??

Do you see cancer for sale anywhere??

Silly much? :)

No such thing as bad publicity man.

People don't easily forget when you treat them like shít.

Silly much? :)

I hope your bring your website back online and allow people to get the refunds they deserve. You are clearly associated with this travesty and I hope you are happy setting back normalising gaming conventions in Ireland by a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Why would you want to buy this kid of publicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Someone I know at work was going to this, I didn't even know it was on.

As a gamer from Doom days in the 90's, all I can say is it is a great advertisement for staying in your room and dealing with the world virtually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Answer to your first question is no.
    I don't know if there is a positive report. I never said there was one. I just said that you can't buy this kind of publicity.

Very true. I hadn't heard of Gamercon until today and thanks to the publicity I won't be taking the family if there's another one.

Glebee wrote: »
    Why would you want to buy this kid of publicity?

They're selling children at this con!?! Wait until Joe hears about this!

I hope your bring your website back online and allow people to get the refunds they deserve. You are clearly associated with this travesty and I hope you are happy setting back normalising gaming conventions in Ireland by a few years.

Not associated with Gamercon. I simply had a great day at a great event, Gamercon 2017. Is it so hard to believe that somebody might have enjoyed themselves at this event?

• Advertisement

Not associated with Gamercon. I simply had a great day at a great event, Gamercon 2017. Is it so hard to believe that somebody might have enjoyed themselves at this event?

It's even harder to believe that you're not trolling at this point :pac:

Advertisement