Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Con March 2017

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

qrx wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been to a different gaming convention? I agree Gamercon was very badly organised, but I also came away feeling an event like this is pointless and very little to offer gaming fans, even if it were to be properly organised. I'd be interested in hearing how it compares to other events maybe in the states for example with regards to content rather than how it was run.

I was at Insomnia last year in Kerry, and while it was very child orientated, and they admit that due to wanting to appeal to the widest audience on their first time, i really enjoyed it. Maybe it was the fact that i was staying for the weekend and stayed at the hotel/chalets attached, but it felt more like a convention should. There was something different throughout the day in the auditorium, and while i didn't have an interest in most of them, it at least gave something for everyone else to do so the queues for the non-auditorium parts were short during same.

But what made Insomnia far superior was the quiz/after hours for the adults. Gaming quiz with a few drinks, youtubers, and the organisers really made it feel like they were doing it for the love more than the money. And i spoke with the organisers after the quiz, they are genuine gamers, with a real interest in bringing a proper convention here. The presenters were also gamers, as evidenced by the fact that they knew what they were talking about, unlike the lads doing the MC'ing in Gamercon... So it wasn't just badly planned, it was just bad in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Well my chargeback was refused! Fcuk gamecon...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

benny79 wrote: »
    Well my chargeback was refused! Fcuk gamecon...

Any reason given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

not really just that they read over everything I had to send emails I had back and fort from eventbrite. and they were sorry that it has been refused etc and to contact the merchant direct (Gamercon).
    I think because I had a family ticket 2 adults 2 kids but only went with my son because of all the hassle Sat, they deemed it as me going to the event. But I did make a complaint at the event and made sure it was taken.. But I knew the risk! look my son loved it as he met a youtuber by chance in the audience so it worked out well for him.. But what a total shambles and rip off of an event!..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Never been to one in the us but did attend arcadecon here, which also had many deep organizational flaws and will never recover from what happened in its final year, ime there just isn't enough substance to fill a whole con. At least not in Ireland. DCC have gaming too, I'd suggest attending that instead, although again imo there is also organizational flaws with DCC.

Despite the name Arcade Con was never a gaming con (to the point I one year had an exasperated argument about them not allowing fighting games, you know, the last thing that resembles anything to do with an arcade in Ireland).

If you're going to judge the amateur con scene in Ireland it's kinda unfair to do so without looking to Gaelcon or Eirtakon. Arcade Con even used Gaelcon's traditional venue :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Despite the name Arcade Con was never a gaming con (to the point I one year had an exasperated argument about them not allowing fighting games, you know, the last thing that resembles anything to do with an arcade in Ireland).

If you're going to judge the amateur con scene in Ireland it's kinda unfair to do so without looking to Gaelcon or Eirtakon. Arcade Con even used Gaelcon's traditional venue :D

I agree, arcadecon really wasn't much of any type of convention tbh, but I mentioned it because it was pushed as a gaming con.

I've never been to Gaelcon and have very limited experience of Eirktacon so didnt want to give an opinion on ones I didn't know enough about

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pmhsilva

Hi there, I'm trying to know more about the gaming events scene in Ireland, is there a list of gaming events regularly organized in Ireland and who are their organizers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Pmhsilva wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm trying to know more about the gaming events scene in Ireland, is there a list of gaming events regularly organized in Ireland and who are their organizers?

There isnt that many here at all. However try posting in the computer games section: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Advertisement