Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Con March 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is a disgrace. 45 minutes queuing and now it's filtering through that it's full, and we still in the queue... 😡😡

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Got a very bad vibe about the ticket allocation in recent weeks and decided against it.

The queues look to be absolutely shambolic altogether.

We've moved 10 feet since the last post. Still about 200 in front of me and hundreds more behind. Apparently it's full in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

Disaster. Could not organise a piss up in a brewery. Just saw the roller signs and sold too many tickets. How can you sell more tickets than the venue will hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

On Twitter there are apparently people queuing since 10 and still not in yet. Also security recommending people to just leave.

Anybody staying or leaving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The way it was being advertised on FB I am surprised they were overbooked , it looked like they were desperate for people at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Calhoun wrote: »
    The way it was being advertised on FB I am surprised they were overbooked , it looked like they were desperate for people at one point.

Just arrived in the IFSC now. Is it actually full even with tickets?

Edit: just reading their Facebook page. Heading home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just arrived in the IFSC now. Is it actually full even with tickets?

My brother is inside and when I last spoke to him described it as a cattle market its so full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I can't believe how badly it's been handled. The Facebook comments say it all really. Feel so sorry for anyone queueing with young kids who were excited. Reckon Joe Duffy will be fielding lots of calls from irate mammies on Monday.

Yep. I didn't even walk up. When I was driving in I saw the queues from Samuel Beckett Bridge, parked up in the work underground and went to this thread and Facebook. Just sitting in Insomnia now and gonna jump back in the car. Feel sorry for families. Appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I got there at half 10 and was nearly at the door at 12. By half 12 security was saying they weren't letting in anymore because it was full and management were not coming out despite calling them repeatedly. Absolute joke. Oversold and tickets are still available to buy.

Was going to leave but I brought my 16 year old niece up for the cosplay. In the door 5 minutes ago only to be told we're too late for registration even though it says half 1. Absolute joke.

See they have now deleted their post showing the queue due to the amount of people complaining in the comments. Not surprised its oversold either. 12,000 tickets per day were allocated for GamerCon, Dublin Comic Con allocated 8,000(iirc) per day for the same venue and is still packed to the gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The gamercon hashtag on twitter makes some reading. 95% of is it people complaining they can't get in!

superg wrote: »
    The gamercon hashtag on twitter makes some reading. 95% of is it people complaining they can't get in!

Yeah, looking at it now. Plus its the no. 1 hashtag trending for Ireland atm, ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Laaaaaads disaster up here. Eventually got in in time for my PS VR booked slot which was amazing but everyone around me if complaining, gonna be some amount of refunds chucked out.

Seems there will be a less than flattering article in the Sunday Times about this tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/JohnMooneyST/status/843082073585975296[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Rubbish setup. Queued for two hours and didn't even get half way. Left to get pizza and beer instead. How do we go about requesting a refund now?

A lot of very unhappy kids in that queue... Not too mention the cosplayers.

Seems they've now added a new section to the Ts&Cs to try and cover their asses.
    3.4 Please note that we are required to maintain a safe environment for our attendees at all times and as such are subject to the capacities of the venue and the rooms / halls therein. Access is therefore not guaranteed, should such capacities become a challenge or be in danger of being breached. Equally, should you choose to leave the venue at any time, re-entry is not guaranteed.

Seems they've now added a new section to the Ts&Cs to try and cover their asses.

Refunds now available on their website.

• Advertisement

All that queuing may have been worth it if it was good inside, but it's not. There's no new games that I can see, it's the same usual line up of games to play, a retro zone, and queues for queues. Delighted I've no interest in meeting the youtubers, because there's a massive queue for that.

There's 3 stalls to get food with massive queues for them, the auditorium has a queue to get into it, but hell knows what's going on in there because information is not displayed and the app is unresponsive for the majority of the time.

I get the feeling that the organisers are not gamers themselves, and they organised it just for the money, because they definitely over sold tickets, and there's little for gamers here unless you fancy spending money to go play games you be probably already played.

The Cosplay here is great though, people have put serious effort in.

Edit: those terms to cover themselves, they're basically admitting to selling too many tickets. If they only sold the max amount they could, there should be no reason everyone couldn't get in. One security guard said to us that the "morning" crowd didn't leave when they expected, as if there were timeframes for people to leave... In fairness, he was been sent by the organiser bexause, yet again, the organiser is too scared to speak her/himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Almost 2.5 hours in the queue and we left. We were in the final strait but there was no shelter, so getting pelted in the face with rain got too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Was there at 9:10 this morning with VIP ticket eventually got in at 10:00 what a waste of time, my 9 year old said to me this is boring and wanted to leave what a waste of money and time. left at 11ish the place was like a tin of sardines and walked out to see a massive queue. as comic book man would say worst convention ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Almost 2.5 hours in the queue and we left. We were in the final strait but there was no shelter, so getting pelted in the face with rain got too much.
    Hope your 10 year old wasn't too disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I so predicted this mess last year - https://twitter.com/TheChrisDGaming/status/781520474526380032

Although to be fair, at least GamerCon actually got to start the event. But this still further taints the image of gaming-oriented conventions in this country. Hopefully people disappointed by today will still give other events like QCon and Insomnia a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Access is therefore not guaranteed..."

Wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What sounds worse than not getting in is the apparent lack of attractions inside ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As a gamer I'm embarrassed and shocked of the treatment Gamer-Con has given to everyone. I hope this doesnt stain true conventions and exhibitions from setting up over here.

RTE have picked this up, 3rd headline down on the front of news...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/technology/2017/0318/860761-gamercon-dublin-lines/

Advertisement