Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Con March 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We had planned to head to it tomorrow. The young man wanted to go for his confirmation, however after seeing all this, I'm not prepared to risk travelling all the way from Limerick to be turned away.
    He's disgusted at it, and even at his age, he's calling it a scam!

I'm assuming that due to the massive f-up, we should be able to get a refund??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

angeldaisy wrote: »
    We had planned to head to it tomorrow. The young man wanted to go for his confirmation, however after seeing all this, I'm not prepared to risk travelling all the way from Limerick to be turned away.

Only confirmed for Saturday at the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Only confirmed for Saturday at the moment.

I've sent in a refund request anyway, I'm not spending all that time and money travelling all the way up to risk being turned away.

What a joke:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ebbsy

angeldaisy wrote: »

What a mess.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Got there at 11:15 and got in close to 13:00. I got close to the door after twenty minutes and after that nothing for the next hour. I only got updates via Twitter and disgusted people leaving the queue.

Once inside there were queues to play any game. There was no supervision there though so you just grabbed what you could.
    There was also then no supervision in the "mature games" area despite it saying people would be IDed.

Far worse though was that a number of the consoles were missing controllers - I'm guessing they were stolen since it'd be easy to. And not only that on a number of consoles some ***hole had gone and deleted the installed games meaning they were effectively useless (no way were the games going to download during the day).

• Advertisement

Have tickets for tomorrow, refund or not no way I'm wasting out time showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The whole thing always seemed like a cowboy money-making, scheme to me anyway. All about selling tickets and getting the GameStop branding out there and not much else.

http://www.rte.ie/news/technology/2017/0318/860761-gamercon-dublin-lines/

This in particular is damning - "The Convention Centre has capacity for 9,400 people and around 12,000 tickets were sold for each day of the event which runs today and tomorrow."

Get the money and **** the punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They have a refund page here https://gamer-con.com/tickets/ now. The line "WE WILL PROCESS YOUR REFUND ONCE THE EVENT HAS BEEN COMPLETED NEXT WEEK." would worry me though.

If you've paid by credit card, I'd say do a charge back now because I wouldn't have any faith in their refund process.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Easily one of the worst events I have ever been to. Pure unadulterated greed is what caused a lot of the problems today.

Long queues for everything in there also. No organisation anywhere, nobody monitoring how long kids were on consoles for. Nobody telling you what queue was for what. My son and his pal got nothing out of it and we left early.

Complete and utterly waste of money and we'll never be back. If anyone has bought tickets for tomorrow I would only suggest going if you are there first thing in the morning when they open the doors, but knowing what I now know I'd not even bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Went up early from Cork with my son and got in straight away but we were bored to tears. This was a Christmas gift and I promised I'd make it up to him. Get your money back if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

heard they made a complete balls of it.

Feel sorry for any families stuck out in the rain for hours. Get a refund and compensation if you were turned away!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

This will be all over the news tonight and papers on Monday. What a joke. Refunds don't get people's time and travel expenses back so I'm sure this is the last we will hear of GamerCon coming back.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Far worse though was that a number of the consoles were missing controllers - I'm guessing they were stolen since it'd be easy to. And not only that on a number of consoles some ***hole had gone and deleted the installed games meaning they were effectively useless (no way were the games going to download during the day).

Thats ridiculous. I went to ComicCon and that was like a zoo but after 2 or 3 it emptied enough that you could easily walk around and browse stalls/stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

This was not worth the price of the ticket.
    I got there at about 9ish this morning as I was meeting a friend. Saw the Queue and thought it wasnt too bad since I was there early but as I was about to get into it we were told to head around the othe side of the Convention Center as thats where it started so we did.
    We go around and it was like it was zigzagging around the buildings but we only stayed in the queue for about 20 minutes before we go in.
    My friend had a booking with the VR Play at 9:30 so he made it in time, I went to play some games in the Game Zone, played Titanfall 2 for a bit then went back to meet my mate.

When we went back to the Game zone to play some more games, some of the Xbox and Playstations didnt have a controller, i dont know if this was because people took them for 2 player games or they were just nicked.
    Then queued up for an hour to try the HTV Vice which was just watching some fish while on a ship under water. Not that great.
    I know this was their first event but it could have been organised a little better. Some of us got in before the VIP ticket holders, we were next to each other in the queue just seperated by railings and we were let in in batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭da gamer

Well everyone what did we you all think of gamercon? Had a great day up there. Heard a few people were stuck in que for a while. I walked straight up to the front door and got in. Had a great day with the VR, didn't even pre book it and got 45 minutes playing it. Cosplays were brilliant. I went as Kasumi from Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball. My only gripe would be that it was a bit overcrowded but all in all a great day was had. Can't wait for next year. GAMERCON!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

da gamer wrote: »
    Well everyone what did we you all think of gamercon? Had a great day up there. Heard a few people were stuck in que for a while. I walked straight up to the front door and got in. Had a great day with the VR, didn't even pre book it and got 45 minutes playing it. Cosplays were brilliant. I went as Kasumi from Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball. My only gripe would be that it was a bit overcrowded but all in all a great day was had. Can't wait for next year. GAMERCON!

Found the shill! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You work for them or something? or didnt read the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Wow, feel sorry for all who travelled to this. It's on RTE that they will give refunds to people who didn't get in. Will that include travel and accommodation costs one wonders?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Have tickets for tomorrow but not a snowballs chance in hell I would go to that shambles.......they should be heavily fined for this.

Calhoun wrote: »
    You work for them or something? or didnt read the above?

Didn't read the previous comments and definitely don't work for them! I can only speak for myself but I had a great day!

Didn't read the previous comments and definitely don't work for them! I can only speak for myself but I had a great day!

Any further details of the floor layout / games / events? How did you manage to get a go of the PSVR without pre-booking?

My Columbo-sense is tingling...."Just one more question!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Their website is now displaying an 'account suspended' message :o

Even without the delays, this thing always sounded vaguely miserable to me (marketing fest + YouTubers - basically, I'm not the target audience here). But one strange thing I noticed from the few pictures I've seen inside the place was that all the games seemed to be already out? Maybe there were previews and the like elsewhere, but saw prominent Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 stands in pictures. The bare minimum I'd expect from an event of this ilk would be some sort of exclusivity!

me_irl wrote: »
    Any further details of the floor layout / games / events? How did you manage to get a go of the PSVR without pre-booking?

My Columbo-sense is tingling...."Just one more question!"

Floor layout? Did you attend yourself? I just walked straight up and put the headset on. People were complaining after about half an hour that I was on the vr too long but I'd paid to be there so wanted to get my value out of it. There was no staff to monitor who was playing what or how long they were playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Even without the delays, this thing always sounded vaguely miserable to me (marketing fest + YouTubers - basically, I'm not the target audience here). But one strange thing I noticed from the few pictures I've seen inside the place was that all the games seemed to be already out? Maybe there were previews and the like elsewhere, but saw prominent Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 stands in pictures. The bare minimum I'd expect from an event of this ilk would be some sort of exclusivity!

Saw that account suspended page meself, thought it was a problem on my end.

I was thinking same about the lack of new releases. Surely there must have been some promotions. Otherwise, why not just sit at home playing? Would have been more comfortable for sure. I do feel sorry for everyone who ended up disappointed today. Telling people who didn't get in today to come tomorrow is a bit stupid too isn't it? Won't that just make tomorrow an even bigger disaster if they similarly sold too many tickets.

Floor layout? Did you attend yourself?

Don't answer a question with a question. Purposely misleading. It's politicking 101.
    I just walked straight up and put the headset on. People were complaining after about half an hour that I was on the vr too long but I'd paid to be there so wanted to get my value out of it. There was no staff to monitor who was playing what or how long they were playing.

Oh... You're one of "them". You paid to be on it, but never booked a timeslot in which other people did. If people were complaining why didn't you get off it or look for staff?

me_irl wrote: »
    Don't answer a question with a question. Purposely misleading. It's politicking 101.

Oh... You're one of "them". You paid to be on it, but never booked a timeslot in which other people did. If people were complaining why didn't you get off it or look for staff?

I did look for staff but found it difficult to see anyone with the headset on.

/Calls bank for charge back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Glad I read this thread, I had plans to bring my son along but this whole event looks like a pitiful disaster and a blatant cash grab.
    Poor organisation, no supervision, a-holes making themselves at home, lifting controllers, deleting games and ignoring rules.
    Much of it would be tolerable if there were new games to be played, but no.
    Over the years, mid 90s to mid 00s I was at a bunch of promo nights and events run by the likes of Sony, MS and even Sega and they were all a blast,.
    And the likes of the Comic Con are run here and are successful enough, so what happened here?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just made the RTÉ 9pm news there. Tomorrow looks to be the same situation all over again, another 12k tickets sold for a venue holding 9k people.

Get there for opening or don't bother would be my advice. In fact, don't bother at all and just get yourself a game in Smyths or something instead.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    so what happened here?

Greed and lack of planning by the sounds of it!
    PauloMN wrote: »
    Just made the RTÉ 9pm news there. Tomorrow looks to be the same situation all over again, another 12k tickets sold for a venue holding 9k people.

Get there for opening or don't bother would be my advice. In fact, don't bother at all and just get yourself a game in Smyths or something instead.

Was on the Six One earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Glad I kept myself well out of it. Sounds like they made a right mess of it.

Advertisement