Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topics bloggers should avoid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

anna080 wrote: »
    I messaged her and this is her reply. My tone probably wasn't the best, but I was so upset over those snaps. And as you can probably guess, I am now blocked.

It was very uncomfortable not only the way she spoke to the child but the whole over sharing I wish they would stop using their babies as props for social media.

Oh I'd say your blocked alright lol.
    I have kids and when they're around me the phone is down and I'm interacting with them.
    There are a certain few which snap all day long.
    Another topic I'd like reduced rather than completely avoided is the whole boring I'm making this for breakfast every single day.

I seen one blogger do a live pregnancy test on snap chat. The result was negative but I did think that was an uncomfortable viewing. If it was positive would you not tell your partner first. I actually really like this blogger. It was taken down after an hour or so

You are joking was this recently omg .

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Cria wrote: »
    I seen one blogger do a live pregnancy test on snap chat. The result was negative but I did think that was an uncomfortable viewing. If it was positive would you not tell your partner first. I actually really like this blogger. It was taken down after an hour or so

You are joking was this recently omg .

About a month ago I think.  It was on instagram stories and I think snapchat too.  This blogger puts the same content on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Jordan spoke to her daughter like she was a dog who pooped on the floor after being toilet trained. Her baby is a few weeks old. Poor thing lying on the floor with her mother standing over her shouting. I actually found those snaps very upsetting to watch.

I would never ever speak to my dog like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can we have this thread go back to the topic of "topics they should avoid" like medical advice - and less of the "omg, I seen her say/do something I think is outrageous" which will get this thread closed fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭urbanshirl

I think even her response of laughing emojis is like a virtual sneer. She doesn't have the maturity to respond and say, for instance, that you are entitled to your opinion and thanks for the message. Laughing and blocking is such a bad attitude to have.

I feel very uncomfortable about watching babies on sc. Don't engage with your baby via your phone, engage with your actual baby. By constantly snapping videos of your baby, the only thing getting your attention there is your phone. I hope they are all saving these videos because when this short precious time has passed, the videos are all they will have to remember this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I note from this thread that the topics people mostly have a problem with stem from snapchat and it's use/misuse. Very few bloggers (and those who actually write blog posts) waste their time writing about nonsense or fluff or stuff they have no proper knowledge about.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

Definitely relates to some bloggers with children...

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I note from this thread that the topics people mostly have a problem with stem from snapchat and it's use/misuse. Very few bloggers (and those who actually write blog posts) waste their time writing about nonsense or fluff or stuff they have no proper knowledge about.
    That's very true. I find the bloggers who research content and write more articles are focused on quality and tend to be a good resource for information.  Maybe snap chat is what some bloggers should avoid full stop.  It does seem the general attitude towards bloggers has shifted since it became big.

I know we are very Irish focused because that's who the majority of people here watch but how do people feel about bloggers talking about mental health?  This is alot more common with international bloggers.   I think it's a good thing there's awareness if they are talking about their experience but I've heard people particularly in a you tube content discuss advice they get from a counselor or a doctor and it's not a one size fits all approach.  I do think this is all meant with good intention but without a filter or context, information is dangerous.  Often people need to have more information to make sure they fully understand.  Panic attacks is a common issue I've seen discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I know my sister found it really upsetting and annoying when a few bloggers momentarily struggled with anxiety there for a while. Not belittling their problems at all and I hope nobody thinks I am but to say you suffer from chronic anxiety and then snap five minutes after a panic attack to update your followers on it, sign out of snapchat for a few hours and come back later on all dolled up to the nines going out for the night with 0 mention of the apparent breakdown you had hours earlier; well that's not anxiety.

I get that all sufferers are different but when I used to live with my sister I know she'd be cooped up in bed for three days straight and hadn't even got the mental wherewithal to answer a text never mind snap herself after a panic attack. I just think cases like above are indicative of how important issues can be trivialised, often glamorised on social media and it's just irritating and insulting to genuine sufferers.
    You don't hear them going on about their anxiety as much these days though, it was very bad there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I was going to mention that yesterday but wasnt sure how to word it as i do think talking about mental health is a really good thing but yes it can be.... misused...if that's the right word?

I know my sister found it really upsetting and annoying when a few bloggers momentarily struggled with anxiety there for a while. Not belittling their problems at all and I hope nobody thinks I am but to say you suffer from chronic anxiety and then snap five minutes after a panic attack to update your followers on it, sign out of snapchat for a few hours and come back later on all dolled up to the nines going out for the night with 0 mention of the apparent breakdown you had hours earlier; well that's not anxiety.

I get that all sufferers are different but when I used to live with my sister I know she'd be cooped up in bed for three days straight and hadn't even got the mental wherewithal to answer a text never mind snap herself after a panic attack. I just think cases like above are indicative of how important issues can be trivialised, often glamorised on social media and it's just irritating and insulting to genuine sufferers.
    You don't hear them going on about their anxiety as much these days though, it was very bad there for a while.
    I can relate to your sister and that's why it upsets me too.  I do question myself though if it's because I had those panic attacks and it was such a dark place, is that why I get upset and is it different for everyone else?  I guess I try and rationalise it but you are right about the sensitivity needed.  I find it upsetting to see panic attacks and mental health portrayed in media in general but bloggers are definitely the least sensitive medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Personal choices i.e. Breastfed vs bottlefed
    Peddling weight loss aids
    Advising on anything they're not qualified in (i.e., nutrition)
    Anything to do with medical issues (ie this food supplement cured my cholesterol/thyroid/diabetes)
    Too much of their personal lives, i.e. Their child in every single snap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 suziki832

Topics I think bloggers should avoid

Constant Baby snaps - give the child some privacy
    Snaps of family members doing cleaning/clothes clearouts etc.
    Anything family related tbh..even going on dates...private life should be private
    Telling people you're going to the gym and you're on a slimming world diet and not following through
    Telling people on snapchat having a baby is easy and to have one even though most followers are teens Id imagine
    Telling people you feel like a failure because you can't breastfeed your baby
    Stuff that's personal in general
    There's one particular blogger who does this constantly (I'm sure you all know who I am alluding to)
    Also talking with filters on and an annoying voice
    Giving fitness/nutritional/advice when not qualified
    Constantly snapping how great your life is with weekends away every week and dinner every night and boasting about freebies all the time

Topics I think we should see more of

Make up tutorials and tips - which is how some of them became big anyway
    Maybe some more mental health awareness

To be honest they're all rubbish and I can't wait until this blogger fad goes away

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

suziki832 wrote: »
    Topics I think bloggers should avoid

Anything family related tbh..even going on dates...private life should be private

Often this is done in order to promote whatever new restaurant they've been invited to this time. Date night is just another way to advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Anything animal welfare related when the blogger comes across as the last person you would associate with knowing anything on the topic. Shocked that the Dog's Trust gave puppies to bloggers to re-home. What an ill thought out publicity stunt in my opinion. And why did the bloggers have to take brand new "cute" puppies? Why not give an older dog it's forever home? Oh what's that? Oh I see now. An older dog wouldn't look half as good on instagram. I get ya now. Main blogger is constantly going away with the other half on week long holidays, nights away and weekends away, leaving the dogs behind. I am not saying that the dogs are left with someone who doesnt take good care of them, not saying this for one second. But just because you leave your dogs in good care, doesn't make you the most attentive or devoted dog owner if you leave them with others on such a regular basis .The latest 're homed puppy addition, which in my books, would need time to bond, was left presumably with others after only being re-homed a couple of weeks whilst blogger and other half jetted to the States. How do the Dog's Trust think that this is good advocacy for carefully 're homing a previous unwanted animal . So don't preach to others about adopting and not shopping when it comes to getting a dog (especially when you've already purchased two expensive designer style dogs) .And animal welfare societies, catch a grip and stop using the blogging world platform as a means to promote re-homing .It's a series us turn off and leaves a lot of questions marks over your credibility as a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I agree ratmouse. Usually I'd be an advocate of it being a positive thing when any rescue dog gets a loving home but as you said, the dogs Sue and Holly got were both gorgeous little pups which wouldn't have struggled to find a home. It's the other ones whose breed isn't known or are not mainstream who struggle to find homes. Holly snapped a day at Dogs Trust one day but most of her snaps were just the cute puppies with her saying "could you die, omg look so cute". Having such access to the services at Dogs Trust it would be more responsible of them to show the older dogs who have been there for months and are looking for new homes. I'm sure they wouldn't want a greyhound tho or another less aesthetically pleasing dog as it wouldn't fit their standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Totally agree with the dogs and puppies !

I don't think people should be telling their whole nutritional information and plans to snapchat. They have a lot of young followers and they might follow their plans etc. What's worrying is the fitness snapchatter Siobhan OH snapped last night that she was starving and said she was living off coffee till she could have her re-feed day.

This is mental to be saying in my opinion. I know she's following a strict plan for some competiton she is doing, but the majority of her followers are not! They might think it's normal to be living off coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

When we adopted our dog we were advised no big changes within a year, such as moving house, new baby or holiday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

When we adopted our dog we were advised no big changes within a year, such as moving house, new baby or holiday!!

Which makes sense. Af far as I know they left the new re-homed pup with her sister after only a few nights of getting her and then off to LA really shortly after that . Dogs Trust won't be getting my support any more .

Didn't another blogger rehome an older dog from the same place last year, where the dog had been given a clean bill of health from them, only for the new owner to discover afterwards that the dog was terminally ill?
    That's not to say she wouldn't have rehomed that dog anyway but I remember them being extremely angry about it at the time.

urbanshirl wrote: »
    Didn't another blogger rehome an older dog from the same place last year, where the dog had been given a clean bill of health from them, only for the new owner to discover afterwards that the dog was terminally ill?
    That's not to say she wouldn't have rehomed that dog anyway but I remember them being extremely angry about it at the time.
    I didn't pick up that blogger was angry.  I thought more upset as they bonded with the dog and it was devastating news.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

oh thats so sad. Who was that?

Topics to avoid for me are ..
    Babies please stop showing your baby constantly they may be cute but the only people that want to see 50 snaps at the end of the day of them is you..
    I actually wish some of these people would view there story at the end of a day and see how boring it is..

Family events like weddings birthdays christenings giving birth it's all so intrusive one blogger snapped the whole day of her sisters wedding I felt like a gatecrasher.

Telling people teas make you lose weight when don't even drink it or your constantly in the gym.
    Recommending any weighloss vitamins ect..
    showing what your cooking constantly.

And please stop showing your partners constantly I'm tired of seeing the boyfriends pretending they don't want to be on Snapchat ect and yet admitting they love it for the money it makes them.

I'd like to see more make up tutorials
    In depth reviews of products rather than i was sent this it's gorgeous

I didn't pick up that blogger was angry. I thought more upset as they bonded with the dog and it was devastating news.

I was getting that impression from a family member of hers social media, the blogger was distressed and her priority was obviously the dog rather than the organisation.

I didn't pick up that blogger was angry. I thought more upset as they bonded with the dog and it was devastating news.

I was getting that impression from a family member of hers social media, the blogger was distressed and her priority was obviously the dog rather than the organisation.

Ok fair enough. I didn't see any snaps only the bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I still follow Grace, why, I don't know! I don't really go on to snapchat much anymore so wasn't bothered deleting her I guess.
    Anyway, I've followed her for the best part of a year I would say, and honestly yesterday was the first time I've ever actually seen her do makeup.
    So sick of seeing her child, and that seems to be the general concensus yet she doesn't seem to care.
    I'd honestly love to know who is interested in seeing that content, and mores to the point, who would follow a baby on instragram!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sassychick91

SarahJ wrote: »
    I still follow Grace, why, I don't know! I don't really go on to snapchat much anymore so wasn't bothered deleting her I guess.
    Anyway, I've followed her for the best part of a year I would say, and honestly yesterday was the first time I've ever actually seen her do makeup.
    So sick of seeing her child, and that seems to be the general concensus yet she doesn't seem to care.
    I'd honestly love to know who is interested in seeing that content, and mores to the point, who would follow a baby on instragram!?

I completely agree! I wouldn't feel comfortable at all following a 4/5 month old on social media. Just doesn't feel right but that's just my own personal opinion. Grace got called out on it a few months ago I remember but as usual she took to snapchat to rant and say people ' if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything' . Seems she can't take any sort of criticism or opinions at all. She was the same when she was going breastfeeding her child I think after a night out. I don't think people were nasty to her, more advice that she obviously doesn't agree with, which is fine, but why go on snapchat to rant.

• Advertisement

SarahJ wrote: »

I followed grace from the start way before Snapchat she had this enthusiasm for what she did she loved doing the YouTube videos blogs ect..
    over the last year or so the whole plugging anything and everything started with her and Rosie con.
    The whole promoting with no disclosure just got worse and worse and she lost why she even started.
    I genuinely believe if she bothered to view her whole story at the end of the day she would realise her Snapchat is gone so bad endless baby snaps endless food and endless plugging brands..
    her and jj really need to dial down the baby snaps and constant promoting it's just getting stale now.
    I wonder if they have no other topics or content to add to their social media..
    it's the same everyday like Groundhog Day.
    If your content is going to be the same as the day before don't snap it's so lazy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement