Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily weirdness of others

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

When young I had a habit of adding up car reg numbers in my head - obviously to myself. Occasionally and if the sum was greater than ten I would add the digits again until I got to a number between 1 and 10. A variation on that was when the first addition yielded something like 27 which I would, as before, add to get 9 and then with a flourish take the square root!
    Don't ask me why except that I was good at and liked maths but it wasn't my favourite subject.
    A few years later I was involved in a traffic survey, just counting the number of cars passing, and it really shortened the 12 hour day but left me wrecked. Alo I used do it when hitching a lift and took my mind off all of the cars that didn't stop.
    At 65 I don't do it regularly any longer. Or maybe I don't go out enough!! I think it was a kind of nervousness thing and distracted me from other thoughts or things.
    Great thread this and I laughed out loud so much on first reading it.

PMBC wrote: »
    When young I had a habit of adding up car reg numbers in my head - obviously to myself. Occasionally and if the sum was greater than ten I would add the digits again until I got to a number between 1 and 10. A variation on that was when the first addition yielded something like 27 which I would, as before, add to get 9 and then with a flourish take the square root!
    Don't ask me why except that I was good at and liked maths but it wasn't my favourite subject.
    A few years later I was involved in a traffic survey, just counting the number of cars passing, and it really shortened the 12 hour day but left me wrecked. Alo I used do it when hitching a lift and took my mind off all of the cars that didn't stop.
    At 65 I don't do it regularly any longer. Or maybe I don't go out enough!! I think it was a kind of nervousness thing and distracted me from other thoughts or things.
    I still add digits and letters and divide by how many and hope it comes to "average". Changing to the change to 00 made it much rarer and the added 1/2 rarer still.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

I`ll see your pepper and raise it one onion.

In other words, I know a man who bites into an onion like its an apple.

I used to do this as a kid :D

Anyway, there's an guy in work who uses half a loo roll to cover just the toilet seat when he's going for a dump. When finished, he flushes but leaves the seat still covered in tissue.

I know another posted something similar, maybe it's the same person:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I do not understand how people can let their unread emails get to over 100. Mine has to be at 0 at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Odelay

anna080 wrote: »
    I do not understand how people can let their unread emails get to over 100. Mine has to be at 0 at all times.

Ha! I have over 1000 unread emails. Too much shoite cc work emails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I currently have 30,990 unread on my Gmail icon on my phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

PMBC wrote: »

You probably know these already but I thought I'd chuck them here.
    http://www.mathwarehouse.com/arithmetic/numbers/divisibility-rules-and-tests.php

It's how to tell if a number is divisible by any number between 2 and 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ray37 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sometimes when I'm alone in the house, I put a CD on and pretend the bedroom is my personal Wembly Arena; I sing into the hairbrush and do the dance moves you see Little Mix or Britney do and I'm giving it socks imagining I'm singing to a crowd and sometimes I even gaze into the mirror as I sing and do the whole "I'm making a music video" thing.
    I'm an adult and I have just admitted this to you, but feck it.

I also run on the treadmill to particular songs and I always imagine others around me know what song I'm listening to but of course, they don't.

I'm actually laughing at myself now :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sometimes when I'm alone in the house, I put a CD on and pretend the bedroom is my personal Wembly Arena; I sing into the hairbrush and do the dance moves you see Little Mix or Britney do and I'm giving it socks imagining I'm singing to a crowd and sometimes I even gaze into the mirror as I sing and do the whole "I'm making a music video" thing.
    I'm an adult and I have just admitted this to you, but feck it.

I also run on the treadmill to particular songs and I always imagine others around me know what song I'm listening to but of course, they don't.

I'm actually laughing at myself now :D:D

Omg I do this too :pac: I do be giving it socks morto if anyone caught me.
    Or if a sad song comes on in the car I pretend I'm in a music video. Gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ray37 wrote: »

Select all - Mark as Read

You lunatic bastards

Omg I do this too :pac: I do be giving it socks morto if anyone caught me.
    Or if a sad song comes on in the car I pretend I'm in a music video. Gas

HAHAHAH!! Gazing out the car window when it's raining is the perfect time to pretend you're in a sad music video.

Lmao!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I sing with vigour in the mornings in the hope that someone is also listening to today fm and I might have a lip sync battle with another driver in traffic. :pac:

I can't believe I'm saying this out loud :pac:

I sing with vigour in the mornings in the hope that someone is also listening to today fm and I might have a lip sync battle with another driver in traffic. :pac:

I can't believe I'm saying this out loud :pac:

Hahaha!
    I also like to try and be the first to move off when the traffic lights turn green and pretend it's a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

retalivity wrote: »
    Select all - Mark as Read

You lunatic bastards

Probably bring down the server with the tsunami of Read Receipts! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

I really don't find this weird :confused:
    Do you use a plate? If you do, what crumbs would be dropping to the floor?
    Regarding burning plastic wrappers etc in the fire, I definitely don't do that-they have a way of getting caught in the chimney.

And if someone puked in any part of my house, I would definitely be concerned, they may have a virus or bug of some sort, it's very difficult to disinfect after and the chance of catching something while cleaning it is actually quite high.

You use a plate to eat a biscuit or a bar of chocolate? :confused::confused::confused:

A snickers bar wrapper isn't going to burn the house down

And yes, obviously nobody wants anyone to puke in their house but the fact that she can't even handle a crumb falling is what made me laugh!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The many admissions on this (fantastic) thread have really made me feel better about myself and what I thought were my weird habits... manys a time, while sitting in traffic, I've had to pretend to 'hang up' my phone upon the realisation that a fellow motorist has spotted me in the middle of a fantasy TV interview... I've usually just won a big horse race... or kicked a last-minute off-balance screamer of a point from under the Hogan Stand with a defender hanging off me in a pulsating All-Ireland final... it's a massive relief to know there's loads of other weirdos out there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

fussyonion wrote: »
    Hahaha!
    I also like to try and be the first to move off when the traffic lights turn green and pretend it's a competition.

Speaking of competitions that only one person is aware they are in, I know a guy, who used to finish the Simplex and Crosaire in The Irish Times very quickly, about 10-15 minutes for both.

On the way home from work he used to walk along the outside of the train until he saw someone that had the paper open on the crossword page and would get on and sit beside them. He would then proceed to take out the paper and race the other person to the finish.

Ok most times they never paid any heed...After years of therapy he doesn't do it any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I, ahem, know someone very well who is obsessed with reading things backwards. When a programme goes to an ad break and the name of the programme appears on the screen I have to read it backwards in my head. It is good fun really as if you put on a bit of an accent it sounds like some strange foreign language. My daughter looked at me panic stricken one day in a waiting room at the hospital as I hadn't realised I was reading a notice on the wall backwards, but out loud.
    I only like some numbers, not a fan at all of 0,1,4,5,6 or 8. There is a 0,1 and a 6 on my reg plate and I was gutted, but then I realised there is also a 2 and it's OK as if you add them you get 9. For some reason I associate the letter 7 with raspberries, so I have to eat 7 out of a punnet. I think it is possibly a subconcious thing to do with my date of birth, as all the numbers I like, excepting the 1 are in it. Maybe I'm just odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

For all those who won't put the Tv volume at 23, 19 etc are you like me with an alarm clock?
    Can only set it for times ending in 00 or 05, 10, 15 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

For all those who won't put the Tv volume at 23, 19 etc are you like me with an alarm clock?
    Can only set it for times ending in 00 or 05, 10, 15 etc.

I....I don't understand. Why would you set your alarm in any times in between those? Like 8.03? People don't actually do that do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I....I don't understand. Why would you set your alarm in any times in between those? Like 8.03? People don't actually do that do they?

yes, they do

my morning alarm is set for 7.12am. Any alarm i have is set for in-between the 05 minute...setting it at the 05 intervals is just too neat or perfect or something...

all people are weird, it's just a matter of degree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

ablelocks wrote: »
    yes, they do

my morning alarm is set for 7.12am. Any alarm i have is set for in-between the 05 minute...setting it at the 05 intervals is just too neat or perfect or something...

all people are weird, it's just a matter of degree

Half hour intervals only for me, if I set the alarm for 7.18am I'd go on boards until 7.30 anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Odelay

If I need to be up for 7am, I set the first alarm for 5:30, second for 6:00, third for 6:30. I have that bit of time waking/snoozing/reading before I get up or I feel like I haven't slept properly....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Was speaking to someone who pronounced 'call' as 'kal' and 'bye now' as 'barr noww'. Their other speech patterns would be within acceptable norms which is why those words were notable. Not really out there in the grander scale of things, but I did get an uneasy feeling that I may have not been speaking to something impersonating a human reading from a script. Possibly something with a human face mask (or actual human face) pulled over it's insectoid visage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

73Cat wrote: »
    I, ahem, know someone very well who is obsessed with reading things backwards. When a programme goes to an ad break and the name of the programme appears on the screen I have to read it backwards in my head. It is good fun really as if you put on a bit of an accent it sounds like some strange foreign language. My daughter looked at me panic stricken one day in a waiting room at the hospital as I hadn't realised I was reading a notice on the wall backwards, but out loud.

I do this too! It started when I was learning to read, had to read everything forward then backwards.

This sign was on our jack's door when I was growing up:

"Woh gnol a etunim si sdneped nopu hcihw edis fo eht rood er'ouy no"

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

This thread just reminds me that the world is full of morons.

irish_goat wrote: »
    This thread just reminds me that the world is full of morons.

You're not wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mud wrote: »
    I do this too! It started when I was learning to read, had to read everything forward then backwards.

This sign was on our jack's door when I was growing up:

"Woh gnol a etunim si sdneped nopu hcihw edis fo eht rood er'ouy no"

:pac::pac::pac:

That's not backwards....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    That's not backwards....

You're not backwards.

Advertisement