Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily weirdness of others

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My husband works in a very small office. One guy refuses to speak face to face to him (or anyone else). He will call husband's name to get his attention, tap on the headsets that they have for their phones, waits until he puts it in, says "are you ready?", then dials his extension.
    Refuses to engage otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I do a counting thing on my fingers

Start at the thumb, count 5 to the little finger then back again.
    Then I start at the little finger to thumb and back again, repeat once
    Then repeat the first lot

So the sequence is
    T-f, f-t
    F-t, t-f
    F-t, t-f
    T-f, f-t

Exact symmetry complete, move to next set, does anyone else do this? Would be interested in meeting like minded people

I also do it with buttons on the remote. My excuse is that I want to be able to know where every button is without having to look down, but it's just my thing

Anyone who has to look at the remote in their own house to use it should be gassed.

+2 for anyone who cant use a self checkout but tries to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Guy i lived with in college used to cook at the weirdest times, like he'd cook a full roast dinner at 1-2 am or sometimes even have full dinners early in the morning, he wasn't working late nights or anything but for some reason he'd eat at the weirdest times.

Myself i have a weird thing about the volume on the tv, i can't leave the volume on an odd number, has to be like 30, 32,34 ect i never leave it on like 33 or something. anyone else have weird things about numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Guy i lived with in college used to cook at the weirdest times, like he'd cook a full roast dinner at 1-2 am or sometimes even have full dinners early in the morning, he wasn't working late nights or anything but for some reason he'd eat at the weirdest times.

Myself i have a weird thing about the volume on the tv, i can't leave the volume on an odd number, has to be like 30, 32,34 ect i never leave it on like 33 or something. anyone else have weird things about numbers?

I am the very same with numbers, even numbers only! My boyfriend tries to trick me but I swear at this stage I can nearly hear when it's at an uneven number. I make an exception for 5s tho, I can deal with them. :pac:

I generally try to go 2^x or n^x or if there's a big gradient then 3*2^x. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

anna080 wrote: »
    I am the very same with numbers, even numbers only! My boyfriend tries to trick me but I swear at this stage I can nearly hear when it's at an uneven number. I make an exception for 5s tho, I can deal with them. :pac:
    ha oddly i'm the exact same regarding fives, 35 is grand just can't hack 1,3,7 or 9's

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

It's more annoying than weird i guess but my sister is OCD about cleanliness to the point where she'd stare you out of it if you were eating anything in her house watching the each crumb fall on the floor (just the normal amount of crumbs that will fall from food, i'm not purposefully making a mess) and then if you go to throw a wrapper of a bar in her fire she's like 'oh i don't throw anything in the fire' with a disapproving face ..... there's other things i could mention that she freaks out about but it's too much of a give away..

Actually one time one of her friends called in with her kid who promptly puked all over the sitting room floor. The colour disappeared from my sister's face. I had to choke back laughing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

We moved recently and i have been off work for a few days getting settled. I was in a room upstairs yesterday for about three hours unpacking and sorting things, i glanced out the window occasionally.

Three separate times i saw the middle aged guy who lives next to us walk out into his front garden wearing a huge North Face-style parka (hood up) and pick something out of the garden - possibly bits of moss. He picked up maybe 4 "bits" and went back into the house.

Its not like he was out gardening or anything and i couldnt really see what he was picking up - but there was nothing there that i could see.

Then last night at maybe 8.30pm my mom dropped by, she was leaving and was parked in our drive way. She was leaving and we were standing by her car chatting quietly - the guy opens his front door and looks out. Then closes it quickly.

WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

anna080 wrote: »

Same here with evens and the exception for 5. 35 is grand, but if I commit to it the next move is either 30 or 40... if not happy from there, I can go back to evens. But going from 35 to 32 in one swoop would be a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I really don't find this weird :confused:
    Do you use a plate? If you do, what crumbs would be dropping to the floor?
    Regarding burning plastic wrappers etc in the fire, I definitely don't do that-they have a way of getting caught in the chimney.

And if someone puked in any part of my house, I would definitely be concerned, they may have a virus or bug of some sort, it's very difficult to disinfect after and the chance of catching something while cleaning it is actually quite high.
    Shergar6 wrote: »
    It's more annoying than weird i guess but my sister is OCD about cleanliness to the point where she'd stare you out of it if you were eating anything in her house watching the each crumb fall on the floor (just the normal amount of crumbs that will fall from food, i'm not purposefully making a mess) and then if you go to throw a wrapper of a bar in her fire she's like 'oh i don't throw anything in the fire' with a disapproving face ..... there's other things i could mention that she freaks out about but it's too much of a give away..

Actually one time one of her friends called in with her kid who promptly puked all over the sitting room floor. The colour disappeared from my sister's face. I had to choke back laughing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I know someone who counts how many letters are in words or sentences in their head to see if it comes to an even or odd number, not all the time, just when bored. They don't do it as much any more but they used to do it a lot.

I do this, have done for as long as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

277. It's every fcuking where for me.

Bank account? Check
    Car reg? Check
    Company van? Check
    New SIM card for work? Check
    Neighbours car? Bloody bloody check again.

There are 5 cars in the small village where I grew up with the number 277, there's less than 500 people in the viallge, so just over 200 cars. What are the odds? I drive along the M50 and in front of me is 277. And if I don't see 277 I'll make it up.

e.g. 131 D 31482 ...I'll mentally go..."OK, takethe 2 from the back and put it at the front...then 3 +4 =7.....then 8-1=7 again....so that's 277! So I'll be :) for getting it, and :mad: as I've done it again.

There's days when I think it's some sort of bloody lizard people or CIA call signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Red Kev wrote: »
    277. It's every fcuking where for me.

Bank account? Check
    Car reg? Check
    Company van? Check
    New SIM card for work? Check
    Neighbours car? Bloody bloody check again.

There are 5 cars in the small village where I grew up with the number 277, there's less than 500 people in the viallge, so just over 200 cars. What are the odds? I drive along the M50 and in front of me is 277. And if I don't see 277 I'll make it up.

e.g. 131 D 31482 ...I'll mentally go..."OK, takethe 2 from the back and put it at the front...then 3 +4 =7.....then 8-1=7 again....so that's 277! So I'll be :) for getting it, and :mad: as I've done it again.

There's days when I think it's some sort of bloody lizard people or CIA call signal.

If only you'd of posted 7 posts earlier.

masterK wrote: »
    If only you'd of posted 7 posts earlier.

I never noticed that till you mentioned it. Now you've made me scroll up. And there it is...grinning away at me...Nr. 277.

HOME.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

But look at the time you posted…… 2,55
    2 plus 5 is 7 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Red Kev wrote: »
    I never noticed that till you mentioned it. Now you've made me scroll up. And there it is...grinning away at me...Nr. 277.

HOME.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Parchment wrote: »
    We moved recently and i have been off work for a few days getting settled. I was in a room upstairs yesterday for about three hours unpacking and sorting things, i glanced out the window occasionally.

Three separate times i saw the middle aged guy who lives next to us walk out into his front garden wearing a huge North Face-style parka (hood up) and pick something out of the garden - possibly bits of moss. He picked up maybe 4 "bits" and went back into the house.

Its not like he was out gardening or anything and i couldnt really see what he was picking up - but there was nothing there that i could see.

Then last night at maybe 8.30pm my mom dropped by, she was leaving and was parked in our drive way. She was leaving and we were standing by her car chatting quietly - the guy opens his front door and looks out. Then closes it quickly.

WTF?!

You're new, the neighbour is being nosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Parchment wrote: »

WTF?!

My parent's neighbour has mirrors on his window boxes so he can see our front door from his living room. He is the nosiest ****er the world has ever seen.

I've witnessed some very strange behaviour from him down through the years. He parks his van in the exact same spot on his driveway everyday. He'll get out and check it and even get back in and move it by a few inches if its not right.

Before he leaves in the morning he drives it, three feet to his gates, opens his gates, drives so its clear of the gate by about two inches, then closes the gate.

He also stares at any of us if he passes us on the road. Its a mean stare like he wants to intimidate. I've started blowing him kisses and he seems to have eased up.

I have many stories about this asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

My mother told me about this couple from the town she grew up in. It was I think after Mass on Sunday or else after they both finished up work on Friday, they'd drive to the shop, go in and get a bar of chocolate and a can of Coke, park their car with a view of the whole main street and sit in there and have their snack and talk about everyone who'd pass by. She said you could see them pointing at you and nodding to each other and stuff, made no effort to hide the pure nosiness. Every week for years, same time same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Buffman wrote: »
    I used to have a neighbour who'd bring her cat for a walk around the estate, on a leash. I suppose it makes sense for a 100% domesticated cat.

What's weird about that? the cat was probably an indoor cat and this was the neighbour's way of safely allowing her cat some outdoor exercise and stimulation.

Some cat breeds will go on a lead. My ex and I used to bring his Maine Coon for a walk in the woods every Sunday or down to the beach for the reasons I gave and he loved it. We put a small dog harness on him (he was huge-41 inches nose to tip of tail fully grown) and he loved all the sights and smells. I miss that beastie :( the cat I mean, not the ex :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is a Maine Coon a black man from Cavan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Yes. I like my TV volume at 24. Other options are 22, 25, 27.
    And for added weirdness I almost always listen to my TV on headphones, and the same with my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

diomed wrote: »
    Yes. I like my TV volume at 24. Other options are 22, 25, 27.

27!!!

What the f**K is wrong with you???

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Maybe the nosey neighbour with the parka smokes, fires the fag butts out the window of an evening, then picks them up and disposes of them before bed ? I've done this when I was a smoker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

DrPhilG wrote: »
    27!!!

What the f**K is wrong with you???

;)

27 is a nice number, it's 3^3.

I'd sooner have that than 22 which is just 2x11 and 11 is such a horrible number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

quickbeam wrote: »
    27 is a nice number, it's 3^3.

I'd sooner have that than 22 which is just 2x11 and 11 is such a horrible number.

How do you feel about turning it up to 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

We all know that 42 is the best number....if only we knew why?

somefeen wrote: »
    My parent's neighbour has mirrors on his window boxes so he can see our front door from his living room. He is the nosiest ****er the world has ever seen.

I've witnessed some very strange behaviour from him down through the years. He parks his van in the exact same spot on his driveway everyday. He'll get out and check it and even get back in and move it by a few inches if its not right.

Before he leaves in the morning he drives it, three feet to his gates, opens his gates, drives so its clear of the gate by about two inches, then closes the gate.

He also stares at any of us if he passes us on the road. Its a mean stare like he wants to intimidate. I've started blowing him kisses and he seems to have eased up.

I have many stories about this asshole.

We're here all day somefeen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On that neighbour stopping and staring, I remember a man from the row of houses behind us in our estate, he'd always stare out the window at me when they were driving into the estate. It was almost as if they were robots, eyes fixated, not even looking at the road (meandering road too).
    I was about 7 or 8 at the time and told my friends who wouldn't believe me until later that day when the couple were driving in they could see for themselves.
    I started waving to no effect, then we'd ramp it up and pretend I was getting jumped by my friends, still nothing, it all came to a head on a random Tuesday in the middle of the summer, I saw them coming, did the usual wave, they did the usual stare, I calmly turned the wave into a middle finger.

Their reaction was priceless, he almost crashed the car in disgust, pulled over and knocked on my door. Thankfully I had told my parents about their stares and they just said they were nosy. My Mam was home and basically told him to fock off.

My Dad came home from work later and they guy called round again, my Dad told him to fock off for a second time.
    Still got grounded, but it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'm the same, although I will allow 5s, e.g 25 or 35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

jiltloop wrote: »
    I'm the same, although I will allow 5s, e.g 25 or 35.

So many people do this, including myself, that I now believe the people who are weird are the people who don't care what number it is on.

Advertisement