Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily weirdness of others

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I don't think people know about it. Pain in the tits until someone explained it to me.

And I'd be one of those weirdos that digs straight into the settings to see what there is, never knew it existed.

About 3/4 ways down for anyone wondering.

Works on touch too

Three years I've been on this site...THREE full years. Always use touch and get annoyed reading big threads and loading a new page. THREE F##KING YEARS!!
    I'd bake you a cake if this wasn't an anonymous internet site and you might live miles away and also you could be a crazy person. But thanks....3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Three years I've been on this site...THREE full years. Always use touch and get annoyed reading big threads and loading a new page. THREE F##KING YEARS!!
    I'd bake you a cake if this wasn't an anonymous internet site and you might live miles away and also you could be a crazy person. But thanks....3 years!

I'm a crazy person but I like the sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

zerks wrote: »
    I must be in the same place,a few of us having a conversation and boom...."you never guess what my kids did",we don't care mate,you ask us the same thing every day and ruin our conversation. Talk about something more interesting, we aren't in a parenting class.

not only does this happen at the table in our canteen it goes on all day at our desks. I'm currently training in two people and every few minutes they start up a chat about their kids, their childminders, the goings on at school, the contents of the nappies and on and on it goes all day and it's a full time job bringing them back on topic then I'm back on course and another one from a nearby desk comes over to fill us all in on the minute details of her upcoming wedding plans. I'm near breaking point. I'm going mad Ted!
    a time and a place folks. a time and a place!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

not only does this happen at the table in our canteen it goes on all day at our desks. I'm currently training in two people and every few minutes they start up a chat about their kids, their childminders, the goings on at school, the contents of the nappies and on and on it goes all day and it's a full time job bringing them back on topic then I'm back on course and another one from a nearby desk comes over to fill us all in on the minute details of her upcoming wedding plans. I'm near breaking point. I'm going mad Ted!

I couldn't agree more with this. I worked with a mother of 2 young children a couple of years ago and she somehow thought it appropriate to come into work and give explicit details of their rank and disgusting nappy contents every other day.

Obviously some part of your brain dies when you enter parenthood and you forget how to have socially appropriate conversations with your peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I couldn't agree more with this. I worked with a mother of 2 young children a couple of years ago and she somehow thought it appropriate to come into work and give explicit details of their rank and disgusting nappy contents every other day.

Obviously some part of your brain dies when you enter parenthood and you forget how to have socially appropriate conversations with your peers.

Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

fineso.mom wrote: »

Meh.
    I tried that setting it was driving me mad actually. Much prefer concise pages. I'm on laptop, maybe that's why. Shorter makes it easier to remember where specific posts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

I do this to my friends just to annoy them. Theres a group of about 12 of us and we all have that kind of relationship where we grew up together so all we do is annoy each other.

Anyway, if one of them says "Im really tired", I'll say "jesus man, wait until you have kids, you don't even know the meaning of the word tired". DrIves some of them mental hahaha. The others know I'm just looking for a rise.

Im younger than most of the lads and one of them questioned why I had a kid at a young age by choice....so I sent him pics of dirty nappies for anot 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cantdecide wrote: »
    Not really weird, just thick really but it ties in with the common toilet theme; I used to work in a warehouse and we'd all knock off for lunch at the same time but there was only a couple of toilets sinks in the gents - one of the guys realised that instead of peeing and then washing his hands like those us that would, if he washed his hands then took a leak, he wouldn't have to wait his turn... genius.

Jean Claude Van Damme does this, though he maintains its for hygiene due to not knowing what folks were up to with their hands befoe you met them.

It was on a tv show once, I haven't been following him into the loo!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

IK09 wrote: »
    I do this to my friends just to annoy them. Theres a group of about 12 of us and we all have that kind of relationship where we grew up together so all we do is annoy each other.

Anyway, if one of them says "Im really tired", I'll say "jesus man, wait until you have kids, you don't even know the meaning of the word tired". DrIves some of them mental hahaha. The others know I'm just looking for a rise.

Im younger than most of the lads and one of them questioned why I had a kid at a young age by choice....so I sent him pics of dirty nappies for anot 2 weeks.

At least you do it for the craic,we have this inane chatter inflicted on us however lately we find that if we ignore it or rapidly change the subject he gets up and wanders around the place inspecting other people's work even though it has nothing to do with him.Oh I nearly forgot to mention his obsession with bad news,if it's not kids updates it's telling us about death and illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Big chats in the canteen every day about GAA bog ball and all the big MIN who were playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

LCD wrote: »
    Colleague arrives in work, parks his car, goes in (30sec walk from car to desk) clocks in, goes back out & moves his car literally 2 spaces over, walks 30sec back to his desk

Could actually write a book on his habits

I know a guy who had OCD we thought and only years later it hit me it may be mild autism but anyway he always a certain parking space outside work and the car park is always full after 9am so on shift work he may be due to start at 10 or 9 or even 9 and will come to work at 8am everyday and sit in the car and wait unless his shift starts because he likes a certain parking space. Just sits for like 3 hours and listens to radio in his car . Thought it was a bit strange instead of walk an extra 2 min from our other car park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

pauliebdub wrote: »
    6541 wrote: »
    Someone might tell a story at work, then this guy in the group with a big red rounded bogman's head on him will take a deep breath, shuffle on his feet and proceed to tell some boring one upmanship story, I can actually time it.

I used to work with a girl like that too, horrible fat ginger creature, would always try to get one up on someone else

i e; a colleague would pass accountancy exams - she would know someone who came first in the country or won an award. Someone went on a nice holiday - she went there too and had access to a nice villa and would go out on a yacht. Someone brings a homemade cake to work - she would know someone who owned an artisan cake shop and would do the cake differently. It was all bull****.

Absolutely hate people like this ! So annoying to be around and won't give any credit for something good but rather prove there better or know something better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Guy who used to work in the office would pull his trousers and pants down to his knees whenever he'd take a leak at the urinal. Just stand there with his big hairy arse on show to whoever else happened to be in the jacks at the time.

Worked with another guy who plastered his cubicle with pictures of dogs wearing human clothes. These weren't his own dogs, just random pictures of dogs wearing yellow raincoats or dresses and hats, think there may have been a sailor's outfit on one too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Worked with another guy who plastered his cubicle with pictures of dogs wearing human clothes. These weren't his own dogs, just random pictures of dogs wearing yellow raincoats or dresses and hats, think there may have been a sailor's outfit on one too.

I worked with someone once who dressed her dog like that all the time. Apparently the dog had dozens of outfits. She lived with her parents, and whenever she was on the phone to her mother the dog would have to be put on so she could have a chat with it. In fairness, I think the mother was just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do you take both hands off the bars to celebrate when you arrive home too? :D

No.

In fact, the extremely muted celebration has been discussed by the commentators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

wally1990 wrote: »
    Absolutely hate people like this ! So annoying to be around and won't give any credit for something good but rather prove there better or know something better

They're a pain. I seem to come across these people more as I get older. They won't even acknowledge your story and you can see while you're saying your bit that they can't wait for you to finish and proceed to listening to their superior story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Odelay

They're a pain. I seem to come across these people more as I get older. They won't even acknowledge your story and you can see while you're saying your bit that they can't wait for you to finish and proceed to listening to their superior story.

That's nothing, I have to work with someone that is ten times worse than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Zaph wrote: »
    I worked with someone once who dressed her dog like that all the time. Apparently the dog had dozens of outfits. She lived with her parents, and whenever she was on the phone to her mother the dog would have to be put on so she could have a chat with it. In fairness, I think the mother was just as bad.

I thought the dog's outfit thing was bad, but ringing her mother even though she lived with her.....well that's the weird thing here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Big chats in the canteen every day about GAA bog ball and all the big MIN who were playing

We should think about renaming this thread to 'things I don't like at work'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

IK09 wrote: »
    This isnt something I have experience of, but one of my friends works with someone he refers to as "The Phantom".

The story goes back years with a friend who filled me in on the situation over a pint. He works in a large medical device company in Galway and one day while making the trip to the leithris, he enters a cubicle. Someone has filled the toilet with toilet paper and proceeded to take a massive dump on top of the toilet paper, not only rendering the toilet unusable, leaving a terrible mess for the cleaning staff, but stinking the place up.

I learned the story from him quite early on. He was scarred by his experience. He understood, that there was a certain amount of "two fingers up" to the company in this act, but could not get his head around why the person felt the need to punish others also.

A month later I get a text, it read "it happened again", I needed no further explanation, the 3 words could mean only one thing. Again, we met for a pint and he still cant get his head around it. Why does he have to smell this persons sh1te when he goes into the bathroom he asks himself.

When it happened for the third time, he denounced this man and gave him the title "The Phantom". He swore that he would find him. He studied his habits, taking note of the weeks, days, and times that "The Phantom" struck, but to no avail, there was no pattern. He struck as and when he pleased. Sometimes leaving months between his exploits, sometimes, only days.

It got to the stage where when redundancies and severance packages were being offered, my friend was less concerned with the possibility of losing his job, than he was that "The Phantom" might lose his before he caught him.

My friend has become obsessed. Like an old detective trying to solve a case. The most disturbing thing about the scenario is that as he walks into the toilet, the scent invades his nostrils. He can smell that "The Phantom" has acted before he even enters the cubicle to get visual confirmation.

To this day, almost 3 years later, I still receive the mandatory text that "The Phantom" has struck. To his distress, "The Phantom" remains at large.

This post deserves its own thread...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

osarusan wrote: »
    No.

In fact, the extremely muted celebration has been discussed by the commentators.

I keep it muted when I arrive into work. That's because I've been doing the lead out work for the (imaginary) sprinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I used to work with a guy who would literally get into a panic about anything he had to do. If we needed to enter a sterile room we'd have to gown up and do so in a specific way and he would literally have a fit every single day and be trying to force himself into the gown and fcukin and blinding that this was unacceptable and his arms flapping all over the place.
    If we asked him to do the most simple of task he'd say "I'm in here since 7:30 this morning", like we'd all be in at that time but for some reason he'd have to mention it every single day when he was asked to do anything. He got into a physical fight with the photo copier once too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I do a counting thing on my fingers

Start at the thumb, count 5 to the little finger then back again.
    Then I start at the little finger to thumb and back again, repeat once
    Then repeat the first lot

So the sequence is
    T-f, f-t
    F-t, t-f
    F-t, t-f
    T-f, f-t

Exact symmetry complete, move to next set, does anyone else do this? Would be interested in meeting like minded people

I also do it with buttons on the remote. My excuse is that I want to be able to know where every button is without having to look down, but it's just my thing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

anna080 wrote: »
    He got into a physical fight with the photo copier once too.

Did he have his ass handed to him by it? :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I used to work with a guy who ordered a lettuce sandwich with no butter or mayo on white bread for lunch, this was every single day for about 3 years. He wasn't vegetarian or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I used to work in a place (in 1999) that was in a 1950s time warp. All the management were men and female managers were daughters/ nieces of the MD. The regular office staff were all women. Permanent office staff wore uniforms of skirt, blouse and jacket, plus court shoes (I didn't as I was temporary).

The only man who worked in or around the office floor was a graphic designer type guy. He was famously antisocial and awkward around women. Every single week a new clock card would be put out for him (these were the old school hole punch cards). Every single week he refused to punch his card, as doing so would have to walk into where the offices were, with their glass walls where he could be seen coming and going. He got away with it too, whereas we wouldn't!!!

I used to have to ask him to run order forms for me, and when they were ready, he'd ring a random extension in the office (only 1 in 2 desks had phones), wait for an answer, then slam the phone down without saying anything. This was the universal signal for "Come and collect your forms".

He was good at his job though, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I count how many letters are in words or sentences in my head to see if it comes to an even or odd number, not all the time, just when bored. I don't do it as much any more but I used to do it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thread is about weirdness of others...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Esel wrote: »
    Thread is about weirdness of others...

I know someone who counts how many letters are in words or sentences in their head to see if it comes to an even or odd number, not all the time, just when bored. They don't do it as much any more but they used to do it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Odelay wrote: »
    That's nothing, I have to work with someone that is ten times worse than that!

Worked with someone who was infamous for this, always trying to outdo any tale. So bad that someone said about him that if you told him your dog had two mickeys he would tell you his dog had three. So he became known as "Three Mickeys".

Advertisement