Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry medicine 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fuddyduddy

What kind of volunteer experience did people here do that contributed to their acceptance into Medicine?

I dropped out of university 7 years ago after my second year, mostly because of depression/personal circumstances. I am completely over that period of my life, have moved on and have enough money saved up now to fund myself through 5 years of third-level education.

I know that dropping out of a course looks bad, but do you think that the reasons I gave won't be held against me should I get an interview at a school?

Lastly, I was thinking of enrolling in a 1 year certificate programme - some course relating to chemistry/science - in order to prove my commitment and show that I have the fundamentals (chemistry, maths etc.) to enter medicine. Are there any merits to this as a mature student?

Aiming for 2019 so will be 28 beginning the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

Basscon22 wrote: »
    Anyone get an email from Trinity today, requesting their CV?

Nope nothing ! I was expecting rcsi to send out the emails this week for sending in documents nothing yet. Fingerscrossed . Sadly nothing from trinity why did you get an email.

Ciara33 wrote: »
    Wishing you all the best for this year vladcount -

Thank you so much ! I shoudl get it according to the admin office. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciara33

Fuddyduddy wrote: »
    What kind of volunteer experience did people here do that contributed to their acceptance into Medicine?

I dropped out of university 7 years ago after my second year, mostly because of depression/personal circumstances. I am completely over that period of my life, have moved on and have enough money saved up now to fund myself through 5 years of third-level education.

I know that dropping out of a course looks bad, but do you think that the reasons I gave won't be held against me should I get an interview at a school?

Lastly, I was thinking of enrolling in a 1 year certificate programme - some course relating to chemistry/science - in order to prove my commitment and show that I have the fundamentals (chemistry, maths etc.) to enter medicine. Are there any merits to this as a mature student?

Aiming for 2019 so will be 28 beginning the course.

Hi there,
    I think you are doing the right thing by preparing now for 2019.
    As regards doing a cert course, that is a great idea. Check with RCSI and Trinity as to what course they recognise but I do know that these science cert courses are taken into account especially if your previous academic history or leaving cert was poor. On that note, make sure you fully research the entry requirements of each of the medical schools. Also, they like to see recent academic achievements to show that you have kept reasonably up to date and are used to studying.
    As regards volunteer experience, I had a mixture of previous stuff like adult literacy volunteering and school volunteering but only in the year prior to my application did I do anything kind of medically related ( Irish Heart Foundation).
    As regards your unfinished degree, don't skirt around it but address the issue in your personal statement - you don't have to give away deep personal details but describe it as a challenge from which you learned a lot about yourself and gained insight and empathy into the struggles of others etc. Be sure to reference areas of your life where you have completed things or showed continued commitment .
    If you are thinking of Trinity make sure you attend the open day, you will get to attend lectures and chat to students, plus the application process will be explained in great detail. It's a long laborious application for Trinity, but stick with it.RCSI and NUIG open evenings also a must, NUIG usually have theirs early in the year, RCSI usually November.

Just to note, NUIG is the only medical school that shortlists solely on HPAT scores, and then interviews using the multiple mini interview style , so less emphasis on your CV than the traditional approach of the other schools.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fuddyduddy

Ciara33 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I think you are doing the right thing by preparing now for 2019.
    As regards doing a cert course, that is a great idea. Check with RCSI and Trinity as to what course they recognise but I do know that these science cert courses are taken into account especially if your previous academic history or leaving cert was poor. On that note, make sure you fully research the entry requirements of each of the medical schools. Also, they like to see recent academic achievements to show that you have kept reasonably up to date and are used to studying.
    As regards volunteer experience, I had a mixture of previous stuff like adult literacy volunteering and school volunteering but only in the year prior to my application did I do anything kind of medically related ( Irish Heart Foundation).
    As regards your unfinished degree, don't skirt around it but address the issue in your personal statement - you don't have to give away deep personal details but describe it as a challenge from which you learned a lot about yourself and gained insight and empathy into the struggles of others etc. Be sure to reference areas of your life where you have completed things or showed continued commitment .
    If you are thinking of Trinity make sure you attend the open day, you will get to attend lectures and chat to students, plus the application process will be explained in great detail. It's a long laborious application for Trinity, but stick with it.RCSI and NUIG open evenings also a must, NUIG usually have theirs early in the year, RCSI usually November.

Just to note, NUIG is the only medical school that shortlists solely on HPAT scores, and then interviews using the multiple mini interview style , so less emphasis on your CV than the traditional approach of the other schools.

Best of luck!

Thanks Ciara, Solid advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 alanED

vladcount wrote: »
    Nope nothing ! I was expecting rcsi to send out the emails this week for sending in documents nothing yet. Fingerscrossed . Sadly nothing from trinity why did you get an email.

I also got the email requesting CV.... have had no other contact from any of the dublin based schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fuj8

Hope everyone is happy with their HPAT results :)

Ah results up 60%quartile yes ! HPAT IS UP!
    Im guessing rcsi will be releasing whos been asked to sent their documents soon.

Yes I've been waiting to hear from RCSI to submit documents all week...

It should be soon hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

I got my HPAT today, in the 82nd percentile. As far as I'm aware NUIG call you on your HPAT alone, is that right? If that's the case, I wonder if I've done enough to get that far? It feels like a long time ago since I sat amongst children in that exam!

• Advertisement

Yeah NUIG interview about 15 people who have the top HPAT scores so I reckon you have a good chance! Apparently they just look at HPAT score and don't pay much attention to anything else.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Just had a quick search there. They only have three mature spots. Even if I get an interview, I'm fairly up against it!

Just had a quick search there. They only have three mature spots. Even if I get an interview, I'm fairly up against it!

Yeah I know it's a tough one! They're my first choice too.

We'll just have to hope for the best I guess..

Fuj8 wrote: »
    Yeah I know it's a tough one! They're my first choice too.

We'll just have to hope for the best I guess..

My first choice is rcsi just praying we get our emails in the morning ( im working nights in a dublin hospital) as they are quite late this yr . Usually the day before hpat results are given ya get the email usually. Been on to many who got to interview last yr who like me got waitlisted. They are still waiting too. So just waiting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

Has anyone heard anything? I dunno if I should be waiting for a few weeks to hear or if it could be soon!

I think we could be waiting for a while :(

We'll probably start hearing about interviews the start of May??

I think we could be waiting for a while :(

We'll probably start hearing about interviews the start of May??

Some people last year said they heard from trinity on the day the hpat results came out! Would just love to know!

I know I'm getting so impatient checking my emails all the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HB94

anyone got anything from rcsi? does everyone who has applied get the email to submit documents or is it selective?

Me too!!

I didn’t apply to RCSI (because of the fees).

• Advertisement

HB94 wrote: »
    anyone got anything from rcsi? does everyone who has applied get the email to submit documents or is it selective?

Nothing yet! From rcsi

PREACH 😨🙌

Im the most impatient man going. I wish they would just put up interview for all lhaha.

person78 wrote: »
    Me too!!

I didn’t apply to RCSI (because of the fees).

Yeah it's quite expensive!

What's your top choice?

Rcsi document email os out !!!
    Congrats to all who where lucky to get it. ☺

vladcount wrote: »
    Rcsi document email os out !!!
    Congrats to all who where lucky to get it. ☺

Got it :D

At least we can relax a bit now we've been provided with dates and all. Hopefully we all get interviews :)

Yeah it's quite expensive!

What's your top choice?

Trinity then UCD then UCC then NUIG.

RCSI would be my first but it’s sooo much more expensive it just wasn’t feasible.

Does anyone know what the HPAT cut off point was for UCD and NUIG last year??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DMC3

hi guys, I've just realised I misread the trinity application and didn't realise you had to set up an account with them! Does anyone know if that means you're completely out of the running for them for this year anyway?

• Advertisement

DMC3 wrote: »
    hi guys, I've just realised I misread the trinity application and didn't realise you had to set up an account with them! Does anyone know if that means you're completely out of the running for them for this year anyway?

Oh that’s a pity! I think the closing date for their separate application was the same as the cao. It was just basically an extended version of the cao application, I don’t know their policy but as far as I know it was a requirement, but you never know!!

Advertisement