Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry medicine 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

retweet wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Am I correct in saying you must already hold the LC requirements? For e.g if you wanted to apply this year, you must have had sat the subjects last June.

I’m not 100% sure but maybe you could get a conditional offer pending leaving cert results if you were sitting chemistry or something this June?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Guidance

ClaireDoh wrote: »
    They just asked to confirm that I'll be there nothing since

Okay, thank you.

I thought they might provide a little more insight into the format of the interview, such as who's on the panel etc., :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciara33

Not necessarily. All the colleges differ to some extent - far as I know TCD allow you to apply in same year you may be sitting an LC exam, but UCC have a different rule - can't remember if all grades need to be obtained in one sitting for UCC or if grades must have been obtained the previous year...either way its worth checking them all out in detail. Very hard to get any kind of decent info from TCD over the phone - so their open day is a must - they spend a lot of time in the afternoon going through the course requirements etc in detail and it's not usually a massive group so you'd have the opportunity to get questions answered face to face...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fuj8

person78 wrote: »
    I just got an email from UCC saying I’ve been placed on the waiting list, anyone know what that means?? Is there any chance or should I give up hope?

I got the same =( no idea what it means... I assume they've given out the 4 places and if people don't accept them they'll work down the waiting list...

person78 wrote: »
    I’m taking it as a good thing coz my friend applied a couple of years ago and didn’t even get the waitlist.
    I suppose maybe if people get offers from rcsi or trinity they might not accept it and we might have a chance.

Hopefully... I guess it depends where we are on the waiting list :/

• Advertisement

vladcount wrote: »
    I got my interview date today from RCSI
    Everyone check their emails !

What day are you on? I'm on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

Bit of a long term lurker on this thread, but just regarding the waiting list in UCC - I interviewed last year and was placed on it. I asked them for more details at the time and they said there were 10 people on the list and I was half way down. Now unfortunately last year that didn't go any further, but I interviewed this year again and have been made an offer. From what I can see they like to see persistence, so if anyone doesn't get an offer this year but made the waiting list go for it again next year as it'll stand to you. The way I looked at the waiting list last year was that if they had a place for me they'd have given it, so it's definitely something to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spartansean

Thank rg2007 i have been wondering if persistence would be a virtue at all with applications as I will be applying again next year if unsuccessful along with trying the GAMSAT again.

Also a question about RCSI if anyone can help.

I have ben shortlisted for an interview on Wednesday along with 19 others , there is another day of interviews on Thursday so I presume 40 have been shortlisted.

My questions are:

- How many Matures would do people think apply for RCSI or any mature entry med program each year?

- There are 15 places available in Mature Med RCSI. but there is both the 5 and 6 year pathways, would there be 15 in each or 15 divided between the two ?

Just interested so if anyone can help that would be great :D

thanks guys.

Thank rg2007 i have been wondering if persistence would be a virtue at all with applications as I will be applying again next year if unsuccessful along with trying the GAMSAT again.

I have ben shortlisted for an interview on Wednesday along with 19 others , there is another day of interviews on Thursday so I presume 40 have been shortlisted.

My questions are:

- How many Matures would do people think apply for RCSI or any mature entry med program each year?

- There are 15 places available in Mature Med RCSI. but there is both the 5 and 6 year pathways, would there be 15 in each or 15 divided between the two ?

thanks guys.

From what I remember at an open evening a few years ago it's around 250/300 (could be wrong though!).

As regards the programme duration, there are 15 mature places split between the two. However I've been told they prefer to keep the matures all in the same year, the preference being the 5 year programme. I've been to a few of the open evenings and only saw one person who went into the 6 year programme as a mature student.

rg2007 wrote: »
    Bit of a long term lurker on this thread, but just regarding the waiting list in UCC - I interviewed last year and was placed on it. I asked them for more details at the time and they said there were 10 people on the list and I was half way down. Now unfortunately last year that didn't go any further, but I interviewed this year again and have been made an offer. From what I can see they like to see persistence, so if anyone doesn't get an offer this year but made the waiting list go for it again next year as it'll stand to you. The way I looked at the waiting list last year was that if they had a place for me they'd have given it, so it's definitely something to be proud of.

Congratulations on getting a place!! Thanks for your post, very informative and regarding RCSI too!

• Advertisement

My questions are:

thanks guys.

Hey I have an interview there Thursday. As far as I know last year they interviewed 50 people offered 15 a place and put 15 on a waiting list. Odds are better this year if they're only interviewing 40!

rg2007 wrote: »
    From what I remember at an open evening a few years ago it's around 250/300 (could be wrong though!).

As regards the programme duration, there are 15 mature places split between the two. However I've been told they prefer to keep the matures all in the same year, the preference being the 5 year programme. I've been to a few of the open evenings and only saw one person who went into the 6 year programme as a mature student.

Thanks for the info :) , hm yeah I am worried now as I do not have chem in the LC only some from university. was very surprised i got an interview but sure look il give it a go lol.

might sit chem in the lc next year.

Fuj8 wrote: »
    Hey I have an interview there Thursday. As far as I know last year they interviewed 50 people offered 15 a place and put 15 on a waiting list. Odds are better this year if they're only interviewing 40!

Congrats, especially if the amount of applicants in in the hundreds and best of luck :D . yeah a bit better odds. I initially thought they had just shortlisted 20 haha was to good to be true.

Thanks for the info :) , hm yeah I am worried now as I do not have chem in the LC only some from university. was very surprised i got an interview but sure look il give it a go lol.

might sit chem in the lc next year.

Getting an interview is excellent, especially if it's your first year applying. I'd recommend doing the chemistry as it will open up a few more college options for you too. I went back and taught myself the course along with biology and took the exams two years ago so it is doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

What day are you
    I got Wednesday Morning . If its only 40 it should be easier tg.

A question for a second yr rcsi student if there is one in the forum here, in first yr do they really want the entire fees paid on day 1 or is that just a scare tatatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Hey, you need to pay €1,000 to secure your place and then the balance by some date in August. I paid in two instalments of €8k in second year so I presume you could do the same in 1st year. There were some people who had balances left on their account at the end of 1sr year so I presume you don't have to pay it all

Rcsi interview over tg. Two panels of 2. I went in with a clear motive to talk about cervical check and they loved it. ☺ we find out by friday week. Crazy. Praying I get in! Celeste had said that many usually only get in on theor second or third go thos being my second never give up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Murph43

Hi @vladcount,

Well done finishing the interview I'm sure you are glad it is over. You didn't happen to catch the name of this years interviewers?

Thanks and good luck ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Murph43

Rcsi interview over tg. Two panels of 2. I went in with a clear motive to talk about cervical check and they loved it. ☺ we find out by friday week. Crazy. Praying I get in! Celeste had said that many usually only get in on theor second or third go thos being my second never give up guys.

Hi @vladcount,

Well done finishing the interview I'm sure you are glad it is over. You didn't happen to catch the name of this years interviewers?

Thanks and good luck 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Rich1990

Anybody do the trinity interview last thursday? :0

Head of the medical school was not in the building this yr,
    Head of medical admissions, and head of biochem
    Head of GP training and GP for the school and psychiatrist head of subject.
    For obvious reasons I will not give names! Eyes and Ears everywhere as we all know.

The interview went well, I was told my application was stronger this year so hopefully as C. Gold. says once one person on one of the panels like you as a person and is willing to vote you in you practically have it, especially when its your 2nd or third time applying.

One note only 14 places this year ! and 46 interviews over the 2 days. and about 5 have both GEM and Mature options.]
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Guidance

Rich1990 wrote: »
    Anybody do the trinity interview last thursday? :0

Aye

Head of the medical school was not in the building this yr,
    Head of medical admissions, and head of biochem
    Head of GP training and GP for the school and psychiatrist head of subject.
    For obvious reasons I will not give names! Eyes and Ears everywhere as we all know.

The interview went well, I was told my application was stronger this year so hopefully as C. Gold. says once one person on one of the panels like you as a person and is willing to vote you in you practically have it, especially when its your 2nd or third time applying.

One note only 14 places this year ! and 46 interviews over the 2 days. and about 5 have both GEM and Mature options.]
    Hope this helps

They told me 15 with 39 shortlisted and there was one drop out on Wednesday who's interview slot I was given cause I was a few mins early. lol

I was at an open day for the PA programme on Thursday also and the new building is vey impressive :D , might even move RCSI to my number one for GEM next year.

Best of look next week.

They told me 15 with 39 shortlisted and there was one drop out on Wednesday who's interview slot I was given cause I was a few mins early. lol

I was at an open day for the PA programme on Thursday also and the new building is vey impressive :D , might even move RCSI to my number one for GEM next year.

Best of look next week.

I interviewed yesterday, I was told there are 15 places and 38 for interview provided anymore didn't drop off later that day! Better odds for us:D

I interviewed yesterday, I was told there are 15 places and 38 for interview provided anymore didn't drop off later that day! Better odds for us:D

Great ! V odd she told me 14 unless she had me down as a preminition lol

I was told 15 for waitlist
    14 for spots.
    Unless she just slipped herself up she was shattered by the time I got to her lol.

Im trying to remember if now in rcsi if they look at the whole application or just the interview for picking people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone know if a person that is classed as mature, but repeats entire LC and gets requirements (or points in this case both CAO and HPAT) that way, will they be classed as mature or same as 17/18 year old on CAO application.. doesn't play into it?

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    Anyone know if a person that is classed as mature, but repeats entire LC and gets requirements (or points in this case both CAO and HPAT) that way, will they be classed as mature or same as 17/18 year old on CAO application.. doesn't play into it?

Surprisingly both in rcsi you get the choice or you get the one your higher on the list for.
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement