Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry medicine 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Got my RCSI email on Friday afternoon. Now frantically finding references. Of course, since I've been out of education for so long the academic stuff will be sparse enough. I wonder how many references we should send in? The panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Hey everyone,

What are the LC requirements for UCC?

Someone mentioned in another thread that you had to have the required subjects with your original LC. I thought you could sit the required subjects the year before you apply.

Best of luck with your interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fuj8

Got my RCSI email on Friday afternoon. Now frantically finding references. Of course, since I've been out of education for so long the academic stuff will be sparse enough. I wonder how many references we should send in? The panic!

I think I'll send 3-4 references. I'm not sure how many they're expecting to be honest?

retweet wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

What are the LC requirements for UCC?

Someone mentioned in another thread that you had to have the required subjects with your original LC. I thought you could sit the required subjects the year before you apply.

Best of luck with your interviews!

The document I have attached is quite useful. It outlines minimum entry requirements for medicine via mature entry pathway in a clear table.

I have heard of people sitting particular subjects to meet requirements but it might be best to contact the universities directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Fuj8 wrote: »
    The document I have attached is quite useful. It outlines minimum entry requirements for medicine via mature entry pathway in a clear table.

I have heard of people sitting particular subjects to meet requirements but it might be best to contact the universities directly.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spartansean

I got 138 in the HPAT 30th percentile so pretty awful.

But Still got the RCSI email and asked for my CV from TCD so I presume every applicat gets these.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

I got 138 in the HPAT 30th percentile so pretty awful.

But Still got the RCSI email and asked for my CV from TCD so I presume every applicat gets these.

Awfulr undergrad yes but not for mature. Most mature scotes range from 125 up to top precentile. For matures there is an acceptable line of whih you are seen as benging able for medicine . Hpat is an awful indicator i know people who where 99 percentile and made god awful doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciara33

Hi I believe HPAT cut off score for NUIG last year was around 170

Each school for matures use the hpat differently !
    Nuig ciara has that above,
    I believe rcsi is okay once your not in the under 20%quartile rate
    Unsure of tcd. And ucd

Ciara33 wrote: »
    Hi I believe HPAT cut off score for NUIG last year was around 170

Thank you! Hopefully it doesn't go up so :)

• Advertisement

Anyone from last yr remember if rcsi asked for a full breakdown of leaving cert grades ? On their online application gathering bits and bobs and looking for them

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spartansean

Il keep hoping for an offer so , I only have TCD and RCSI down as they the Only two that I was eligible for as I have a degree in Physiology already. ( also trying for grad but being dsylexic makes the GAMSAT abit tough ) lol

Thanks guys :)

Writing my personal statement now. It's very hard to talk about oneself in praise! I'm also struggling big time with my opening paragraph. I really don't know how to introduce myself!

Il keep hoping for an offer so , I only have TCD and RCSI down as they the Only two that I was eligible for as I have a degree in Physiology already. ( also trying for grad but being dsylexic makes the GAMSAT abit tough ) lol

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Guidance

Hi all,

Are we automatically considered via the points route even after applying to enter as a mature student?

yes if you have the points to begin with but you would be compeating only with LC students,
    Matures against other matures as in via CV and degrees and experieince
    and GEM for graduates

im in the same boat I got 2.2 in my undergrad in health and society. so no gem.

Writing my personal statement now. It's very hard to talk about oneself in praise! I'm also struggling big time with my opening paragraph. I really don't know how to introduce myself!

Its hard It took me a month to perfect my one, its good to have a teacher, lecturer or professer who is willing to help you to look over it before you send it !
    that or the best of all the mammy ! you want it to convey all that is you and why rcsi

vladcount wrote: »
    Its hard It took me a month to perfect my one, its good to have a teacher, lecturer or professer who is willing to help you to look over it before you send it !
    that or the best of all the mammy ! you want it to convey all that is you and why rcsi

Yeah... except for the fact that I haven't told anyone I've applied for this. I had a long weekend explaining to potential referees what I needed and asking them to keep quiet!S :pac:

Yeah... except for the fact that I haven't told anyone I've applied for this. I had a long weekend explaining to potential referees what I needed and asking them to keep quiet!S :pac:

Aint no rest fir the wicked lol youll be grand !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Basscon22

Has anyone heard anything from Trinity yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

Basscon22 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything from Trinity yet?

Nope, haven’t heard from trinity, UCD, UCC or Galway!

I've heard nothing from Galway either.

I've just been offered an interview at UCC by phonecall :)

Did anyone else hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jenny25

Hey just wondering what your hpat score was, congrats on the interview.

Jenny25 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering what your hpat score was, congrats on the interview.

Hey, thanks :)

My HPAT percentile was 81.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jenny25

I ended up in the 58th percentile raging when i sat it in 2011 and 2012 i was in the 80th percentile, had a wedding the night before it this year and goes to show what sleep deprivation can do. probably just going to finish up my degree in nuig and do gamsat next year. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DMC3

Congratulations, I was also offered UCC by email. Do we have any idea how many they interview/ how the interview is laid out?

Jenny25 wrote: »
    I ended up in the 58th percentile raging when i sat it in 2011 and 2012 i was in the 80th percentile, had a wedding the night before it this year and goes to show what sleep deprivation can do. probably just going to finish up my degree in nuig and do gamsat next year. best of luck

Thanks, best of luck to you too!

• Advertisement

DMC3 wrote: »
    Congratulations, I was also offered UCC by email. Do we have any idea how many they interview/ how the interview is laid out?

Congrats to you too!

I have no idea how many they're interviewing but she said the interview would last about 20 minutes so I'd imagine it's just a straight forward interview with a panel of 2-3 people?

She said she would email me with more details so I'm still waiting on that.

Advertisement