Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry medicine 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ahorseortwo

Anyone hear from UCC today and was successful?

Got waitlisted myself but not sure how they're waitlist operates!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lizzie101

hi hi,
    delighted that i have been offered a place for RCSI 5 year program. It will be a long journey but hopefully will be worth it in the end!
    I was wondering if many people on this have been offered a place and what age they would be?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BohoBoo

hi there,
    I am planning on applying to GEM after my undergrad degree, will be in my second last year in september, after reading the thread, i see a lot of you have undergrad degrees and masters etc. and im wondering why then you would apply to mature entry medicine and not Graduate, Any insight in to what factors affected your decision etc would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    I think a lot of people apply to both to increase chances but some people can only apply via the mature entry route e.g. those who did not achieve a 2:1 or above in their undergrad.

There are also big differences in the HPAT and GAMSAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

I am praying that more people change spots I'm middle of the list !!!! i want rcsi lol

lizzie101 wrote: »
    hi hi,
    delighted that i have been offered a place for RCSI 5 year program. It will be a long journey but hopefully will be worth it in the end!
    I was wondering if many people on this have been offered a place and what age they would be?
    Thanks

Hi Lizzie , I have also been offered a place. I'm 25!

Look forward to hopefully meeting you in September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 nao098

when do people with first round offers need to have the deposit down by?

nao098 wrote: »
    when do people with first round offers need to have the deposit down by?

Because the college want to know your committed its quite right if you cant afford it let the next person in ! Quite unfair for people like myself who have had to save like mad over the years to get to this point ! But main point is commitment !!!

Sorry I thaught you were asking why. usually 2 weeks after the offer is given

Well im out of ucd didnt get high enough hpat :/ gurr please let 5 people get multiple offers or multiple routes and let mr. No. 6 on waitlist @ rcsi get in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help me before I go about contacting colleges!

I have a level 7 degree in science, and I know that to get into graduate medicine I need a 2:1 at level 8 and then to do the GAMSAT.

However I was looking at requirements to get into undergrad medicine and my A levels (I went to school in the UK) are just short of the requirements listed. I need 5 at C or above and I have 4.

I was just wondering if there's any way that the med schools here would consider me with the level 7 plus those results or am I looking at getting the level 8 and going postgrad as my only route?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hopeful2015

Hi, does anyone know if ucd started invites to interview yet or is it the case that not hearing back means a rejection? Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi, does anyone know if ucd started invites to interview yet or is it the case that not hearing back means a rejection? Thanks

id say so i got my letter today, keep an eye on your email would be most advisable !:)

vladcount wrote: »

id say so i got my letter today, keep an eye on your email would be most advisable !:)
    Thanks for letting me know

I won't be accepting my rcsi offer because I also received a higher preference offer so there will be at least one ? spot free :)
    Anyone else like our Bam_Bam Anyone else giving up their rcsi spot due to getting an offer in another institution ? this applies to those on waitlist too :)
    Think it be nice for those only on one waitlist to have a somewhat understanding of chance :)

and guys just for niceness it is curtisey in RCSI for those on waitlist and full offer if you do get an offer in an another insitiution and you are taking it, you should contact our lovely celeste so waitlist can be re evaluated and quick replies and offers can be made ! I got told this at interview hahaha ironically RCSI are my only hope this yr!

UCD sent their letters. Sadly my HPAT was a few measly points short!

How did you get on? Have you heard about interviews yet yourself?

They will let you know my post f you were unsuccessful though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciara33

GunnerBlue,
    Re your query about undergrad- I'm not an expert but this is my 2nd year through the undergrad application process so hope this helps - I'm wondering if Trinity would accept a mixture of your A levels plus you you sitting an Irish Leaving Cert exam in the subjects you are missing ? I mention Trinity because unlike UCC it doesn't require that you got all of your matriculation grades in one sitting. For example, they allowed me through to interview this year based on me sitting Leaving Cert Chemistry later this month ( I only had Higher Biology in my original LC and you need 2 sciences for Trinity). I don't have a degree of any description, except several Level 7 Diplomas. Also, NUIG just requires one LC science ( albeit this would mean a 6 year as opposed to a 5 year degree).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

Ciara33 wrote: »
    GunnerBlue,
    Re your query about undergrad- I'm not an expert but this is my 2nd year through the undergrad application process so hope this helps - I'm wondering if Trinity would accept a mixture of your A levels plus you you sitting an Irish Leaving Cert exam in the subjects you are missing ? I mention Trinity because unlike UCC it doesn't require that you got all of your matriculation grades in one sitting. For example, they allowed me through to interview this year based on me sitting Leaving Cert Chemistry later this month ( I only had Higher Biology in my original LC and you need 2 sciences for Trinity). I don't have a degree of any description, except several Level 7 Diplomas. Also, NUIG just requires one LC science ( albeit this would mean a 6 year as opposed to a 5 year degree).

Thanks a million Ciara, I'll contact Trinity and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bam_Bam_7777

GunnerBlue,

Where will you be studying Ciara33?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciara33

Hi! NUIG - can't wait! How about u - Trinity??

• Advertisement

Anyone hear anything from RCSI yet today?

Anyone hear anything from RCSI yet today?

I'm ringing to day to see if the waitlist has moved much ! dying to know since RCSI are my last chance this yr or else im working as a hca and surveillance scientist again !

I got engaged Tone on RCSI phone anyone else any luck ??
    She did say that it could be the week of the first lecture by the time people could be called !

I got a reply off admin officer on RCSI
    Her response was :

"I’m afraid we won’t know where we are until GAMSAT results are released in August.

I don’t anticipate offering any more than 3 more places."

I had asked had the waiting list fallen in size and no answer was given. I had also asked if I had moved up on the listing and got no answer to that either !
    Not very clear nor concise !

So a request to the lucky few who got offers anywhere other than RCSI and are on waitlist let them know you want off waiting list as a personal friend told me they get sick finding out only by CAO !

Sorry to hear that vladcount. I got my offer yesterday so the list definitely did move, hopefully you get good news in August!

See you in September lizzie101 and ahorseortwo !

Sorry to hear that vladcount. I got my offer yesterday so the list definitely did move, hopefully you get good news in August!

Thanks Nao098 !! Heres hoping! Praying I get a spot in August !
    I should of hopefully moved up a bit so I should be around 7-5 by now Thanks for the update and congrats your gonna love it !!!!

Hi ahorseortwo I only just saw your message. Yes, got my letter I think the next day, I missed out by a few points in hpat too.

Super news. Look forward to meeting you then.

GunnerBlue wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help me before I go about contacting colleges!

I have a level 7 degree in science, and I know that to get into graduate medicine I need a 2:1 at level 8 and then to do the GAMSAT.

However I was looking at requirements to get into undergrad medicine and my A levels (I went to school in the UK) are just short of the requirements listed. I need 5 at C or above and I have 4.

I was just wondering if there's any way that the med schools here would consider me with the level 7 plus those results or am I looking at getting the level 8 and going postgrad as my only route?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Hello,

There's no way they require 5 a-levels as I myself only have 3 and aside from Trinity there aren't even any subject specifications?

• Advertisement

Hi! NUIG - can't wait! How about u - Trinity??
    Hi Ciara,

Were you at the MMI this year?

Advertisement