Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Green Book, army council order, whatever.

The PIRA specifically forbade attacks on other Celtic countries.

Where does it do that?

Link to the section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Wow the topic metamorphosis from EU-flag burning, IRexiteers to the old rabbit out of a hat anti-Sinn Féin one is still going strong with not a hint of Hammerite in sight. :confused:

Wow the topic metamorphosis from EU-flag burning, IRexiteers to the old rabbit out of a hat anti-Sinn Féin one is still going strong with not a hint of Hammerite in sight. :confused:
    Always the way, when there are no answers about the present, revert to the conflict/war and cherrypick.

maryishere wrote: »
    I can see good and bad in every nation.

Really.......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The IRA were involved in dismantling the sectarian bigoted state and those that ran it.
    They had no hate of a religion or a people in general.

If you can show evidence of systemic bigotry against a race or creed in the IRA knock yourself out.

Are you for real?

The only dismantling the PIRA did was dismantling peoples bodies (limb from limb) usually in the form of car bombs, pub bombs, bus bombs, proxy bombs, and any other type of bomb you can think of "Think Semtex" & or fertiliser bombs = great dismantling indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

It was just a hatred of things Unionist and/or  British and/or Protestant.  But it was not bigotry.  Yeah. ;)

The IRA were involved in dismantling the sectarian bigoted state and those that ran it.

If you can show evidence of systemic bigotry against a race or creed in the IRA knock yourself out.

The evidence of systemic bigotry in the DUP is everywhere.
    Slaughter of Protestants on the border for a start. Plenty of evidence of IRA bigotry towards Protestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

LordSutch wrote: »
    The only dismantling the PIRA did was dismantling peoples bodies (limb from limb) usually in the form of car bombs, pub bombs, bus bombs, proxy bombs, and any other type of bomb you can think of "Think Semtex" & or fertiliser bombs = great dismantling indeed...
    Correct and well said.
    Look at the deeds committed during the "armed struggle". I remember being in the company of Republicans during the troubles and hearing them cheering and making charming comments about "another black prod gone" and "brits out" and so on after news of their murders on the radio. The extremists on both sides were bigoted during the troubles in N.I.

LordSutch wrote: »

Are you for real?

They didn't dismantle anything either. Go read up and watch Gerard Hodgins views on this, an ex IRA and he will tell you the real truth of what it was about. A revolutionary struggle to force NI into an Irish Republic and destroy the state. The IRA campaign was not about civil rights. That's a nonsense and most historians know that.

JSome people still fighting the conflict/war

It's over peoples. The sectarian state is no more. See Ian Paisley's admission about what the state was.

Frankly, I don't care who you think dismantled it and I am sure those now sharing power under an international agreement between Britain and Ireland don't care what you think either. You have been left behind in your bitterness.

• Advertisement

It's over peoples.
    Everyone knows that, the PIRA and UVF etc surrendered their weapons and explosives and they were put beyond use.

The sectarian state is no more. See Ian Paisley's admission about what the state was.
    The state has changed for the better but it is still the Republic of Ireland. During his infamous November 1985 speech at Belfast City Hall, Paisley said:
    “Where do the terrorists operate from? From the Irish Republic, that’s where they come from. Where do the terrorists return to for sanctuary? To the Irish Republic." All states have changed for the better. Living standards have risen in western Europe in the past 40 years, people travel more, technology and communications have changed beyond recognition. Of course states have changed.
    And thankfully the paramilitaries have had their weapons and explosives put beyond use, so there is peace.

Everyone knows that, the PIRA and UVF etc surrendered their weapons and explosives and they were put beyond use.

The state has changed for the better but it is still the Republic of Ireland. During his infamous November 1985 speech at Belfast City Hall, Paisley said:
    “Where do the terrorists operate from? From the Irish Republic, that’s where they come from. Where do the terrorists return to for sanctuary? To the Irish Republic." All states have changed for the better. Living standards have risen in western Europe in the past 40 years, people travel more, technology and communications have changed beyond recognition. Of course states have changed.
    And thankfully the paramilitaries have had their weapons and explosives put beyond use, so there is peace.

Both states need to deal with the disrespecting of cultures. The northern one needs to rid itself of the institutionalised bigotry as evidenced by the DUP. Who are a religiously biased political party standing in the way of full equality for everyone.
    Unionist bigotry existed before the conflict and is still there.
    It will be removed from public life though. The 'fleg' issues, marching issues, and religiously biased law making all being faced down by brave MLAs from SF, the Alliance, the SDLP and now, happily, the moderate wing of the UUP.

JSome people still fighting the conflict/war

It's over peoples. The sectarian state is no more. See Ian Paisley's admission about what the state was.

Frankly, I don't care who you think dismantled it and I am sure those now sharing power under an international agreement between Britain and Ireland don't care what you think either. You have been left behind in your bitterness.
    It isn't bitterness to correct historically untrue statements when it comes to the IRA campaign. It is our duty to tell the truth about the IRA cause throughout the conflict. That isn't me saying the state was perfect, it obviously had institutional problems regarding discrimination but the PIRA didn't bomb and murder 30 years for 'equality' as Hodgins points out. That wasn't what it was about.

It isn't bitterness to correct historically untrue statements when it comes to the IRA campaign. It is our duty to tell the truth about the IRA cause throughout the conflict. That isn't me saying the state was perfect, it obviously had institutional problems regarding discrimination but the PIRA didn't bomb and murder 30 years for 'equality' as Hodgins points out. That wasn't what it was about.

As I said, I could care less about your version of the truth tbh.

The truth is that ex members of the IRA are in government, sharing power. And they are not the focus of those who see the remnants (dying remnants) of the old and always sectarian bigoted unionist state.

The DUP are on the wrong side of history. Snookered now by their hidebound past they will just die away into moderacy. It's happening already, the UUP know the way forward.

As I said, I could care less about your version of the truth tbh.

The truth is that ex members of the IRA are in government, sharing power. And they are not the focus of those who see the remnants (dying remnants) of the old and always sectarian bigoted unionist state.

The DUP are on the wrong side of history. Snookered now by their hidebound past they will just die away into moderacy. It's happening already, the UUP know the way forward.
    You do make me laugh Francie. You make assertions, gets debunked by people who actually lived the very thing we are debating and then switch to the DUP again.

..the DUP. Who are a religiously biased political party standing in the way of full equality for everyone.
    I checked the DUP website and there was no reference to religion on it that I could see. You do realise there are Catholic Unionists? Did you know even Ian Paisley used to get a lot of votes from the Catholics of Rathlin island, in his constituency?
    Unionist bigotry existed before the conflict and is still there.
    Indeed, and on the other side of the coin Republican bigotry existed before the conflict and is still there.

You are still out on your own Francie for thinking, as you said earlier, all DUP supporters, to a man / woman, are bigoted, while the Republican "lads" who killed innocent protestants like the workmen at Kingsmills were not bigoted.;)

You do make me laugh Francie.

Correct, he gives me a good laugh too. Totally brainwashed he is. I wonder does he realise Sinn Fein did succeed in having enough support to get a MP elected until 1983.

You do make me laugh Francie. You make assertions, gets debunked by people who actually lived the very thing we are debating and then switch to the DUP again.

Debunked? :D

What of the current set up in the north is not true?
    Are ex IRA members not in power? Are Republicans not equal partners? Those very people the sectarian bigots kept from power and equality for decades?

I checked the DUP website and there was no reference to religion on it that I could see. You do realise there are Catholic Unionists? Did you know even Ian Paisley used to get a lot of votes from the Catholics of Rathlin island, in his constituency?

Indeed, and on the other side of the coin Republican bigotry existed before the conflict and is still there.

You are still out on your own Francie for thinking, as you said earlier, all DUP supporters, to a man / woman, are bigoted, while the Republican "lads" who killed innocent protestants like the workmen at Kingsmills were not bigoted.;)

DUP are not religiously biased????? That has to be laugh of the year.

Are ex IRA members not in power?
    Gerry was not in the IRA. Or do you believe him? Martin McGuinnes was treated with respect and accepted in to government when he had a mandate and rejected violence. It is worth noting that in N. Ireland Sinn Fein did not succeed in getting a MP elected until 1983, a decade after the worst years of the troubles.

Here in the Republic a lot of politicians would still refuse to share power with Sinn Fein no matter what. Are they less bigoted or more bigoted than the DUP Francie, seeing as you think all DUP people are bigoted, even though they shared power with Sinn Fein for years?

Our politicians here have sometimes taken a harder line against extremist Republicans than the DUP have eg De Valera's government executed more IRA members than Britain and even borrowed the UK's most famous executioner, Albert Pierrepoint, to hang one of them. A few IRA even died in DeValera jail on hunger strike.

Yet Francie still thinks, as he said earlier, all DUP supporters, to a man / woman, are bigoted, while the Republican "lads" who killed innocent protestants like the workmen at Kingsmills were not bigoted. ;)

• Advertisement

Gerry was not in the IRA. Or do you believe him? Martin McGuinnes was treated with respect and accepted in to government when he had a mandate and rejected violence. It is worth noting that in N. Ireland Sinn Fein did not succeed in getting a MP elected until 1983, a decade after the worst years of the troubles.

Here in the Republic a lot of politicians would still refuse to share power with Sinn Fein no matter what. Are they less bigoted or more bigoted than the DUP Francie, seeing as you think all DUP people are bigoted, even though they shared power with Sinn Fein for years?

Our politicians here have sometimes taken a harder line against extremist Republicans than the DUP have eg De Valera's government executed more IRA members than Britain and even borrowed the UK's most famous executioner, Albert Pierrepoint, to hang one of them. A few IRA even died in DeValera jail on hunger strike.

Yet Francie still thinks, as he said earlier, all DUP supporters, to a man / woman, are bigoted, while the Republican "lads" who killed innocent protestants like the workmen at Kingsmills were not bigoted. ;)

Nothing to do with Gerry, there are plenty of ex IRA members in government and more importantly there is no bar on them or any republican or nationalist or catholic for that matter.

A massive victory and I and most of the rest of the world, dont care one wit who you think achieved that. It doesn't matter what you think or what you bitterly don't want to accept.

there are plenty of ex IRA members in government
    most of the government is not ex IRA
    and more importantly there is no bar on them or any republican or nationalist or catholic for that matter.
    There never was a ban on republicans or nationalists or catholics standing for election.
    A massive victory

Its a massive victory that the extremists on both sides ( PIRA, INLA, UVF etc ) surrendered their weapons and explosives and got them put beyond use. If the paramilitaries had not used violence we would all have been better off, and the economy would not have been destroyed by "the armed struggle", one of whose aims was to destroy the economy.

most of the government is not ex IRA
    You gonna lie again about what I said now?

There never was a ban on republicans or nationalists or catholics standing for election.
    there was a very effective bar {I didn't say 'ban') look up the 'property franchise' and gerrymandering. Am I really having to tell a self pronounced expert this stuff?
    Its a massive victory that the extremists on both sides ( PIRA, INLA, UVF etc ) surrendered their weapons and explosives and got them put beyond use. If the paramilitaries had not used violence we would all have been better off, and the economy would not have been destroyed by "the armed struggle", one of whose aims was to destroy the economy.

Like I said, who cares about the version of the truth of somebody who blithely ignores gerrymandering and the property franchise in her revisionist nonsense. As sensible as the guys painting out road signs.

You gonna lie again about what I said now?
    What are you talking about? It is you who lied when you claimed all DUP supporters, to a man / woman, are bigoted, while the Republican "lads" who killed innocent protestants like the workmen at Kingsmills were not bigoted.

You said "there are plenty of ex IRA members in government". Who cares? Martin McG and Paisley got on well ( Chuckles brothers). I said "most of the government is not ex IRA" which I think is true but you say "You gonna lie again about what I said now?":confused:
    Maybe you know something the rest of us do not know? Maybe there are unknown "sleepers" in the govt?

there was a very effective bar {I didn't say 'ban') look up the 'property franchise' and gerrymandering. Am I really having to tell a self pronounced expert this stuff?
    Poor Protestants had the same voting rights as poor Catholics in local elections.
    "one man, one vote" became a rallying cry for the civil right campaign in the late 60's and the Parliament of Northern Ireland voted to update the voting rules, which were implemented for the Northern Ireland general election, 1969.
    Results of that general election are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_general_election,_1969

Like I said, who cares about the version of the truth of somebody who blithely ignores gerrymandering and the property franchise in her revisionist nonsense.
    Gerrymandering and the property franchise in local elections was wrong. But an armed struggle over several decades only made things worse for everyone. Change would have happened quicker by democratic means, same as change happened here in the Republic.

What are you talking about? It is you who lied when you claimed all DUP supporters, to a man / woman, are bigoted, while the Republican "lads" who killed innocent protestants like the workmen at Kingsmills were not bigoted.

You said "there are plenty of ex IRA members in government". Who cares? Martin McG and Paisley got on well ( Chuckles brothers). I said "most of the government is not ex IRA" which I think is true but you say "You gonna lie again about what I said now?":confused:
    Maybe you know something the rest of us do not know? Maybe there are unknown "sleepers" in the govt?

Poor Protestants had the same voting rights as poor Catholics in local elections.
    "one man, one vote" became a rallying cry for the civil right campaign in the late 60's and the Parliament of Northern Ireland voted to update the voting rules, which were implemented for the Northern Ireland general election, 1969.
    Results of that general election are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_general_election,_1969

Gerrymandering and the property franchise in local elections was wrong. But an armed struggle over several decades only made things worse for everyone. Change would have happened quicker by democratic means, same as change happened here in the Republic.

Had enough of your selective delusions. Nobody cares about your bitter revisionism and neither do I anymore. You should lobby for NICRA to be imprisoned and get them to apologise for exaggeration :D

Had enough of your selective delusions.
    :D:D:D:D:D You think I am the one who is deluded, when I could recognise (and condemn) the bigotry of the extremists on both sides. It is you who claimed all DUP supporters, to a man / woman, are bigoted, while the Republican "lads" who killed innocent protestants like the workmen at Kingsmills were not bigoted.
    You think even the Catholics from Rathlin who voted for the DUP were bigoted?
    You should lobby for NICRA to be imprisoned
    No, they were fully entitled to use peaceful means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maryishere banned for 2 days.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

:D:D:D:D:D You think I am the one who is deluded, when I could recognise (and condemn) the bigotry of the extremists on both sides. It is you who claimed all DUP supporters, to a man / woman, are bigoted, while the Republican "lads" who killed innocent protestants like the workmen at Kingsmills were not bigoted.
    You think even the Catholics from Rathlin who voted for the DUP were bigoted?

No, they were fully entitled to use peaceful means.

You lie and take liberties again with what was said.
    I said there was sectarianism on both sides and I said there was bigotry on both sides.

THE POINT is that bigotry and sectarianism is much more endemic and ingrained on one side and has been for centuries. And it is still in existence.
    I ALSO said it is still there in the DUP PARTY, and a large cohort of it's supporters. Which you of course, as usual twisted to your own silly use.

Here is what Kevin Myers, no fan of republicanism or nationalism has to say about that ingrained and endemic bigotry. Note his focus on 'rabble rousers' (the latest version being Arlene Foster) and religious hypocrisy and intolerance.
    Plenty more of the same opinion on the facts of history, if you have eyes to see it.

IT was good of the UVF thugs of East Belfast to give me a cue with which to follow my Fenian column of yesterday (which, as it happens I had started before the unprovoked attack on the Short Strand). For we should be clear about this; the culture of the Billy-Boy tribal bigot predates the emergence of Fenianism as a powerful force amongst the Catholic working classes of Belfast and Glasgow.

Paradoxically, the rabble-rousing leaders of these drunken louts have usually been teetotal clergymen, such as Roaring Hanna and Ian Paisley. The compulsory Sunday closing of pubs was once a primary element of their identity -- provided that their own drinking clubs were allowed to remain open. Logic is never the strong point of any strongly held tribal identity, but particularly so for these people, who have remained locked in a historical enigma wherein they are 'British', though living in Ireland, and generally lawless though they 'loyally' support the Crown, and sober in their general political aspiration, though usually enough drunk at the time.

They have a church, too. In their illiterate and incoherent scheme of things, Calvary is probably a collective for horses and maybe Gethsemane is something mysterious that happens in a sperm-bank. No, their real religion is Rangers Football Club.

Glasgow Rangers is the sporting icon for loyalist bigots. The club's own words are irreproachably neutral. It is law-abiding. It is patriotically British. Its outward message is of harmony and ecumenism. But to the large thug element amongst the Rangers fans the key to their identity is almost like the Third Secret of Fatima. It is this: NO FENIANS here.

There is a congenial, indeed government-backed myth, in both Scotland and in Ireland, that "one side is bad as another": that Sinn Fein-IRA are pretty much the same as the UDA/UVF. This is simply untrue. There is no republican equivalent to the Romper Rooms of the UDA, wherein men were routinely beaten to a pulp by loyalist thugs, and from which both the term and the practice became celebrated. And then there was Lenny Murphy and his merry gang, the Shankill Butchers, who for years in the mid-1970s abducted, tortured and murdered Catholics -- usually by cutting their victims' throats.

This culture did not emerge simply as a response to IRA violence. It was there already. It was feckless, violent, drunken, lost, lumpen proletarians for whom a perverted tribal identity conjoined with a Godlessly Calvinist sense of superiority, even as they stewed in their ghettoes of suffocating illiteracy and economic failure. But they were nonetheless elevated by the insane delusion that they are the chosen people, who have been deprived of their birthright by some vast conspiracy between the Catholic Church and the British government.

This psychiatric condition affects almost an entire under-caste, thereby placing their minds and aspirations almost beyond ordinary analysis.

This Sunday, it will be 45 years since their hero, Gusty Spence, murdered the teenage barman Peter Ward and seriously wounded William Doyle in the Malvern Street shootings. Thus the Troubles got under way. (Nineteen years later, the Catholic barrister who had defended Spence at his trial, also called William Doyle, was shot dead by the IRA for the hideous crime of being a judge. And so it goes.)

Now we know: these Troubles of ours haven't gone away, you know. And they're at it again in East Belfast, with a lost tribe of illiterate, paranoid barbarians wandering the bleak landscape of their own brutal imaginations, about no purpose that any one of them could possibly explain. Except they probably know this is a period of rather enjoyable violence, before the much-loved Orange marches -- plus riots, with luck -- can begin.

And next comes Rangers' first match of the season, to be followed by a night of paralytic alcoholism, and rounded off, no doubt, with a complete short-term memory lapse. (This is called "culture", by the way.)

For once, let history be our guide. Our political classes must not be swayed by the violence of these cretins.

When SF and ex prisoners are lobbying for the restoration and preservation of a planter castle etc and the DUP cannot even bring themselves to accept the heritage of the Irish language, it isn't hard to see where the major problems are.
    The tiny support these idiots who paint out raised cast iron street names in the south have SHOULD tell you something when you compare it to a mainstream political party (DUP) rabble raising and playing to their sectarian gallery about raised cast iron manhole covers with Irish on them.

AGAIN, NOBODY is saying that both sides are innocent, but there are major issues with endemic bigotry in DUP unionism. Even Ian Paisley, Tony Blair, David Trimble have addressed it.

You, as usual, are in a revisionist minority of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

So about those Cork street signs. It looked like an interesting debate to have but painting over the names is the kind of thing that ruins a campaign. We are very used to the existing names and a tiny group can't just take it on themselves to delegitimise them. The response to the vandalism has to be the end of the discussion for now. Let future generations decide if they want to keep the Victorias the Alberts the Devonshires et al in our street names. Cork will not be bullied.

• Advertisement

Henry94 wrote: »
    So about those Cork street signs. It looked like an interesting debate to have but painting over the names is the kind of thing that ruins a campaign. We are very used to the existing names and a tiny group can't just take it on themselves to delegitimise them. The response to the vandalism has to be the end of the discussion for now. Let future generations decide if they want to keep the Victorias the Alberts the Devonshires et al in our street names. Cork will not be bullied.

TBH I see zero support, of any meaning, for them. I think the history is safe, not that painting out names was putting it under threat anyway. We are what we are.

Advertisement