Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Homelander

And then some. Villeneuve is an artist, in particular Bladerunner 2049 was utterly superb and he is precisely the guy I would love to see take the reigns of not only projects like this, but established franchises like Star Wars or Alien.

Tried to avoid trailers for Dune but did see one recently while watching Suicide Squad. It looks immense, whilst I prefer to go in blind it only stoked my interest even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

As long as sting makes a cameo im happy/ will purchase two tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i think one things for sure , its going to be very polarising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sorry, I know very little about this film. And I know the film is not even out yet. But from the comments here, seems like one to get excited about.

Quick question - Is there any connection between this and the likes of star wars etc. i.e. any connection in the storyline. My issue would be that I know nothing about the star wars films, and wouldn't have any backstory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Apart from humans inhabiting other planets and capable of faster than light travel theres very little in common with star wars. Star wars is fantasy western compared to Dune. Dune is feudal Europe in space basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,213 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To continue the medieval theme...

For me in spirit it is closer to Game of Thrones than any other scifi series or film.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Ya it has the Machiavellian qualities of Game of thrones alright but with added layers of philosophy, religion and science

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Im very confused. Do we have to wait until October 21st still despite Europe getting it on Sept. 16th ?

I thought they dont bother with this staggered crap anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I haven’t read the GOT books but isn’t the way it’s written very similar to Dune ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

You'l spot influences from Dune in a lot of science fiction but not star wars. Games Workshop borrowed a lot from it for their Warhammer 40,000 setting for example.

Will definitely go see it and glad of the director but from what I remember of the book the Fremen are very over capable seeming, I am just thinking that despite the book being pretty old it's going to feel like a cliche.

Addition: I wonder how they will handle the navigator as that whole sequence was one of the really well done bits in the original film

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

On the cliche thing I'm reading the book now for the first time and some characters and groups can seem like cliches but its a bit like Lord of the Rings where you have to remind yourself that these are the characters that made the cliche

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes, we're getting it same time as US (October). I'm not sure the reasons - take your pick from Bond, Covid, HBO max etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,213 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

GOT takes a narrow single character POV per chapter... Dune I think has more of a narration to it even as we follow different characters.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

@Melanchthon You'l spot influences from Dune in a lot of science fiction but not star wars. Games Workshop borrowed a lot from it for their Warhammer 40,000 setting for example.

There's a lot of parallels between SW and Dune. Whether Herbert influenced Lucas or they were both drawing from the same well is up for debate. I don't recall Lucas ever discussing Dune or citing as an inspiration, but I find it hard to believe he hadn't read it.

It's possible shure Suzanne Collins had never seen Battle Royale 😜😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm so glad you said that Breezy 😉

Many of the Sci-fi tropes and stereotypes were created in Dune IMO. It and perhaps Asimov are the Archetypal Space Opera. Starwars brought that expanse to the screen but rather than grand sweep of civilization and politics. It focused very much on the arc of originally Luke, then spun it out to the Skywalker Saga.

Whereas Dune is very much on a far grander scale and the politics and machination behind the characters arc is IMO at least just as important to the story. It's oft said that it is a 60's allegory for the then geo-political situation. But? I'd be fairly certain that if the Taliban para-phrased "God created Afghanistan to train the Faithful" that it would make as pertinent a sign in Kabul, as it did in Arrakeen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Point of nerd order but do they have FTL? My recollection is their method of crossing stars is caused by the infamous spice itself; that it allows mutated humans, who have ingested huge quantities of it, to fold space-time thus allowing slow ships to just pass through the portal. So the ships themselves don't move that fast at all. We see similar enough ideas again, with The Expanse many decades later

IIRC, the books deemphasised other tropes like lasers or robots; shield tech means lasers are just too dangerous, with blades being the weapon of choice; while robots and anything computer based is forbidden meaning the worlds are generally lower tech than our own (I believe it was the Butlerian Jihad that necessitated the banning of computers and AI).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's travelling without moving. The navigator and the Holtzman effect allow space to be folded. The explanation I've heard used is imagine the ship as a point on a flat sheet. Rather than the ship accelerating and "travelling", the movement from point A on the sheet to point B is achieved by the sheet folding itself in hyperspace and the ship exiting that fold-space at point B.

The Dune Encyclopedia does give a great pseudo science explanation, but it also names a "fastest" ship implying the journey through fold-space isn't instantaneous.

I'll be surprised if we see the navigators in the film. That sequence in the 1984 version wasn't in the book and the look of the navigators was something Lynch came up with. I think including the navigators in this film before we have really learned about the spice would just confuse people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

yup yup. Aka, how Event Horizon and Interstellar explained the FTL workaround 😜 which is probably the only time both films would intersect lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Homelander

It may not be to everyones taste but 8/10 on IMDB, 88% on RT, 81% on Meta and 84% approval on Google would suggest it is most certainly not that, whether you're look at critc or audience opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't give a fig for what its score is on shill sites. There's a reason it was total box office poison, same reason that, unlike the original, that no one gives a flying **** about it 5 years after its release: it was dogshite. Another reheat of classic source material which completely missed the appeal of the original but was also dragged down with all the present day baggage of Americas nervous breakdown

Still, lets get excited about Dune, because that won't be another classic "IP" dragged back to life to shamble around like a zombie. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Comparing Dune and Star Wars is like comparing Alain Ducasse and MacDonald’s.

Both are highly successful providers of food, and there the comparison ends.

That's a bit unfair on Star Wars. Very different kinds of sci-fi but there are plenty of parts to Dune that fall way below epic writing too

Dune and Star Wars might be chalk and cheese, but the former still operated as a progenitor for a great deal of sci-fi that came after - including George Lucas' magnum opus. Dune popularised and pushed the space opera into the mainstream as something that could be more than Flash Gordon era pulp and immaturity into something legitimate, but still entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Really looking forward to it. However I found this attention seeking review..

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/dune-review-denis-villeneuve-1234660459/

• Advertisement

Only listening to this now, and I would wonder if this is final, 'cos a few tracks sound very like Toto's own score from the 1984 film. Would be nice if it was, a few aural links back to the previous, controversial film would be a neat touch.

Advertisement