Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Part two is almost certainly guaranteed at this stage if it wasn't already. Warners CEO already practically confirmed it. This one never needed to make a profit at the box office, just not flop. Eyeballs rather than ticket sales are the key thing and the interest is clearly there. I think the question now is whether the level of success justifies more than just part 2, i.e. the planned tv show and an adaptation of Messiah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

They need to start filming tomorrow !!!! GET THOSE ACTORS TO THE DESERT NOW !!!!!! START THE CAMERAS ROLLING NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We went to see it this afternoon and the first time at the cinema in an age . It was definitely one to see on the big screen.

I enjoyed it and herself who loves this kind of movie was loving it to put it mildly. I knew going in part 2 hadn't even started filming yet so that was nagging me the whole time as went on wondering how far would it go but I wasn't disappointed.

My biggest problem over all was not being familiar with the Sting movie or the source, I was scratching my head as to why one group left, the others were told to head there and sort it out only for the original group to be sent back to kill them. I don't think it was explicitly explained out side of the emperor fears them line at one point, though I might have missed something as between ads at the start and the 2.5 hour run time we both needed the loo after about two hours and a fairly large coke each 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Critical favourite, big box office… we could be looking at tv shows and more movies exploring the Dune universe … Warner brothers potentially has a cash cow on their hands…. Mooooooo !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I read half the book so far over the last month, just about got to where the movie ends.

I had a good idea what was going on, but my two friends needed a recap halfway through, who was who, why were they there etc.

The entire plot is set in motion by the emperor who is never seen, and only referred to by some exposition.

The music can be overbearing, and the dialog hard to hear at some moments, so when they start throwing in terms like bene geserit, it can get confusing to someone not familiar with the subject (what did she say? did I miss this?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Went to see this yesterday, thought it was excellent. We went in completely blind, didn't know it was a book adaption or that it was a 2 part. Would be general sci-fi fans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't really think you need more than a few minutes on the Emperor and Irulan tbh. Some of it is already planted with what Paul said to Kynes as an option and the scene on Caladan with the emperor's representative. You can do a lot of the stuff around the Emperor and his actual introduction in Harkonnen scenes.

There's a good bit to do in that film though so they'll need to just explain stuff again.

Are the books actually worth the read .... or the audio books as thats how I tend to consume them these days when I'm out walking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would say there is a reason people still read them after 60 years. Personally loved them, but everyone has their own taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was put off for years by some of the more outlandish sci-fi but gave it a go in anticipation for the movie and I absolutely loved it. Have read Messiah and on Children now. Finally kinda slowing down with Children but flew through the first too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I have to admit to feeling a bit ambushed in the cinema. I went into the film not knowing anything other then what the trailers showed and who the director was and was fairly excited but also very interested on how they were going to tackle the source material this time.

So I actually swore in the cinema when the title came up and out of nowhere "part 1"

I am not against the film being intentional split

I am happy they are directly adapting more of the material and so on.

But I do feel genuinely ambushed in that the part 1 subtitle is in none of the advertising or posters or anything.

If I knew going in I would have been fine, if the film had advertised itself accordingly.

But psyching myself up for what is a fairly long film and then finding that a lot of what I was expecting is not going to be in this film (further sin to the film's advertising they abused Paul's visions quite a bit in the trailer to sell more of the events of the latter half of the story in the film)

Film itself was fine, visually great and great sense of scale and other wordly. But still my first thought out of the film was "I was tricked!" I enjoyed the trick but still f*ck you Warner Bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Watched this on my 65” LG CX OLED on Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos through HBO Max. Wow! The best sci-fi film of recent times. It leaves you wanting more and does not feel long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well, it's probably 20 years since I read the novel but I was sure that the scene in the emperor's throne room was in the book, perhaps somebody that's read it more recently can clarify that. It is true that a faithful adaption isn't always a good adaption though. Literature and cinema are two very different animals, so I don't tend get upset if an adaption has to change things in order to effectively tell the story.

To that end, I think spending 5 minutes of the film on a scene like that would have really helped. A lot of the audience seemed kind of confused about the various factions and their motivations and adding that scene from Lynch's Dune would have clarified a lot of what confused people. It establishes the spacing guild, the impact of spice use and the fact that it enables prescience, because the navigator is there to question the emperor about his plans. It also established the emperor's motivation for asking the Atreides to take over Arrakis and it establishes the Bene Gesserit and their role in the politics of the novel as well as their powers (when the emperor dismissed them from the conversation fearing that they might use those powers to uncover his plotting).

In other words it was an important scene that established a lot about the universe for the audience and without it the audience might well be confused or unengaged by being merely told things in clunky exposition without actually seeing them established.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The throne room scene from the Lynch film isn't in the book. In any case, the herald of the change ceremony serves much the same function without cutting away from Paul and his family. They are most likely saving the emperor (along with several other characters) for the second film.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

It was grand, looked and sounded good. But found a lot of dialogue very hard to understand personally.

I didn't realise this was a part one of two, so felt I didn't really get much of a payoff from this movie, it was over just as it was getting going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Grace had a small bit about the breakdown of the viewership in her weekly look at box office numbers. Seems mostly white dudes.

So.. I'm probably gonna need to see if the box office numbers and word of mouth have legs to get the money-take high before seeing how the full picture pans out.

The meeting between the emperor and the guild never happened in the book if that's the scene you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

100% This.

She does play a large role in Messiah but in Dune itself? Basically arm candy at the end.

Her reading in at the start of the 1984 movie is a nod to the book in that the Chapter quotes exposition is "written" by Irulan, hence her read in.

She is an integral character later in the series but not a lot to do just now. I'm looking forward to Shaddam's reveal. I was surprised to see Salusa Secundus but it makes for nice foreshadowing if one considers the end of the 84 movie IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saw it earlier. Had it hyped up beyond belief in my mind for the past year.

overall, it’s ok...average. There’s a lot of filler/boring scenes that could’ve been done away with.

the look of the film is good, the sand worms and technology looked the part

yer man the head of the Arkonon family was proper macabre and Dave Bautista was very scary ...

thought timmy Chalamet was ok but not very believable in terms of being a warrior - he’s like a fcekin twiglet.

brolin was v good too when he was teaching chalamet to knife fight

On the other hand a good few ppl walked out which is never a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Booked it again for a 2nd viewing this Wednesday. Looking forward to it yet again. Was on in screen 1 last time now screen 2 ha I hope I can survive the smaller screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

7/10 from this non-book reader. I respected it more than I loved it.

Production-wise, everything is operating at the highest level - sets, sound design, production design. And there's about an hour or so of fantastic set pieces following a very drawn-out opening hour. But overall, it's so uninvolving and lacks any energy or magic. I'll probably watch the sequel but wouldn't be rushing out to it. Bottom-line, did the movie make me care enough about its characters? Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

I was fierce unlucky. A father decided to bring 6 kids about 10 years old sitting directly behind me. Enough food for the entire movie and they were bored as ****, disaster for me.

Man that sucks. I'm lucky working shifts that I can pick the quieter times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was really excellent, loved every minute of it. Fantastic pace, great acting, amazing visuals and design. It'd be so disappointing if the sequel doesn't end up getting made.

Anyone who liked the art design might be interested in Ridley Scott's Raised by Wolves, similar "primitive futuristic" vibes at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

My opinion of this movie seems to be against the general consensus. There is no denying that the visuals are spectacular but the movie as a whole left me cold. I never really got invested in the story and the characters to me just seemed quite boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Yeh the world's seemed interesting and the small insights to the cultures but character wise it was bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed that immensely and "immense" is the right word. My God it looked huge. The scale of the ships and scenery. The overall design of everything. From the very start when the Emperor's herald descends the ramp to, of course, the worms.

The casting was spot on (As we knew it would be). I was initially on the fence about Chalmet for Paul. Simply because I haven't seen much of him. I think the only thing I remember him in is as a young Casey Afleck in Interstellar (The resemblance was so striking that I knew his grown up character would be played by Afleck). I thought he would be too weak. But, as I thought more about it leading up, I thought, yeah, he's royalty on a cushy planet (Caladin) but with combat (And Bene Geserit) training so, he wouldn't exactly be pampered and preened but he also wouldn't be a hard-a$$. So it made sense. But thankfully, he was great. And, as everyone online is saying, Ferguson was fantastic too.

It has been years since I reread the book (My first time was over 30 years ago) and changes need to be made for the sake of timing and shaking up some of the casting a bit (I believe the people complaining about gender swapping Dr Leit Keynes shut up when they saw how fantastic the actor was). So it has been some years since I reread the book so I'm not sure how huch it diverges from the book but I'm OK with that: Adaptations are that - Adaptations - They will rarely be literal transpositions.

So I really liked that. Hope it makes as much money as possible given the current situation of piracy, Covid, TV release in the US etc. As someone has said, they need to be in the desert filming NOW (Initially I thought they were filming part 1 & 2 in one go. Was disappointed when I heard about 2 months ago that that was not the case).

Second film will be tough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

This was my first cinema trip since the pandemic started. And I'm glad I didn't read this thread before it - I could have gone into it on a downer! I absolutely loved it. Visually, it was just incredible. I love the huge landscape shots, the spaceships and the world created. The music was brilliant and I'm shocked that people didn't like it. The bagpipes were a particular highlight. The cast was spot on, I thought Timothy Chalemet was perfect, Josh Brolin, Oscar Iaasc, Jason Moama, Rebecca Ferguson, Charlotte Rampling, Stellan Skarsgard and everyone else essentially were excellent. I didn't think anyone in the film was average.

And it was funny. There were some great little laughs in it. Zendaya was particularly funny. I also found it funny that she was possible in more of the film in slow motion than regular speed.

Maybe I was overly glad to be back in the cinema, but I just thought this was a brilliant film.

I haven't decided what my next film will be. It might be Bond, but I'm wondering is that more because if I don't it will be the first Bond film I will have missed in the cinema since Licence to Kill which I was far too young for when it came out! The French Dispatch looks good too, but I hear it's not amazing. Anyway, I'm glad I picked Dune for my first film back! I know some people don't mind or even prefer to watch films at home, but that's just not me. I like the lack of distractions in the cinema, the lights, the sound and the shared viewing experience with other people who came specifically to see that film. Not that I'll talk to anyone other than the person I went with (or no-one if I go alone), but there's something nice about seeing it with other fans. And of course the screen. Someone mentioned a 65 inch screen above. The big home screens are great and I know you're closer to them and all, but they're about 50 feet short of a cinema screen. For me, there's just no comparison.

Just thinking back on my first viewing of Dune yesterday

although it’s ok for what it is, I would’ve preferred if it had taken a trippier, more surreal, other worldly type of vibe.

we hardly got any sense of what the Spice (melange) does psychoactively for example.

• Advertisement

This sums up a lot of what I think. It lacks that element of “magic” as you say

Advertisement