Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

*me - selfish world cinema fan who often has to wait 6-12 months for new films to be released here - when a blockbuster comes out a bit later here*

NOW YOU TOO KNOW THE PAIN OF WAITING.

(but seriously: surprised by some of those international numbers. If that’s even somewhat replicated in English speaking territories, they might just get to make their sequel).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I thought if you were worried about a flop you would just massively ramp up the "Zendaya movie" and throw it out everywhere at once before anyone has time to be put off

How does holding it back in the US create less piracy. Surely by releasing it other places the US is now already flooded with pirate copies ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, the promotions thus far have emphasized Zendaya's Chani, even though - if this adaptation remains parallel to the novel - she'll be a very minor character at this point in the story.

Great news so far the film has made $36 million and counting, from such a limited international release. Haven't checked typical continental EU box offices but so far it looks good. (Again though, assuming the movie itself is decent!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

HBO are releasing it the same day as it opens in US cinemas so there will be a perfect digital copy released.

Any copy before then will be a telesync or cam, with non english audio, essentially worthless for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Those are already out there on some sites and I cannot fathom wanting to watch it in such poor capture.

I'll be in my local Omniplex watching this release in their IMAX knock off and exposing my son to Arrakis as closely as I can to Villeneuve's intended vision.

Quality will be poorer but European cinemas have been doing English screenings so the audio wont be an issue. Personally I think people would be mad to see this in anything but a cinema but people are mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Where is the best cinema in Ireland to watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I wouldn’t trust a crowded cinema with a film like this. I have had so many incidents with idiots making noise. It seems to be socially accepted to talk though out a film.

I remember seeing one marvel movie where someone( a grown man) near to me kept saying “I am Iron man” every time Robert Down jr appeared on screen…..

though I think 90% of people don’t care about noise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

• Advertisement

It's PG13 in the states so I'd assume PG or 12 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thanks. Whole family can go so no babysitter needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Shred

Any word on when bookings will be open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

We can watch this while we are waiting for the real deal 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I recommend foundation… big budget sc fi …..though apparently if you have read the books you will hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭brevity

Tickets for this are out on Omniplex. Just bought one for the Maxx on 22nd of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,740 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got the book enroute.

Hope to get it read before film release.

I was seriously thinking about flying over to see it in the BFI Imax but decided against it and booked screen 1 at The Lighthouse on opening night instead 💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,740 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It’s notoriously dense, but also worth sticking with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Audiobook is decent, easier to follow along with different voice actors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just checked the numbers for that limited international release, and Dune has pulled in $104 million. That feels like a pretty successful start, but haven't done any comparisons for specific countries to see how the release stacks up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I started it a couple of times many years ago, before getting into it.

But when you're in - you are properly invested. Keep at it!

This.

That said, it's a book that I re-read regularly. In contrast to a lot of Fantasy and Sci-fi though? I'd argue that it's a book that is far more accessible than the likes of much popular and multi-part works of that ilk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Lynch’s Dune in the cinema recently, having never seen it or read the book before.

Clearly the film has very deep problems. The plot is rushed, baffling and ludicrous - in the second half particularly, important things just sort of happen, without the work being put in to justify them. Subplots and side characters drift in and out seemingly at random, always half-realised at best. It’s the kind of film where there’s a climactic, high stakes one-on-one battle scene featuring a character whose motivations and significance the film has completely failed to explain. It is, in no uncertain terms, a mess.

And yet there’s a certain mad, camp majesty to the thing I’ll miss in what looks like a far more straight-faced adaptation here. The art and set design are often gloriously strange, and there’s definitely some of that heightened Lynch oddness seeping through even if it’s clearly a compromised production. It was almost overwhelmingly loud in the cinema I saw it in, which created quite the experience as Toto’s OTT score blared out while odd characters shouted bizarre things.

It’s a strange film - captivatingly realised, and yet so clearly rushed and confused in the most basic storytelling. I’ve no doubt this (and a sequel if it happens) can easily improve on the latter - indeed, I have no doubt whatsoever it will. But even looking at the trailers for this, I’ll certainly miss some of the more colourful, eccentric elements of Lynch’s noble, absurd failure.

1984 Dune is baroque madness. Under no reasonable metric could it be considered a "good" movie, yet I challenge anyone to take their eyes off the screen at what was going on. It was so strange, so singular; even if it wasn't born out of a post Star Wars gold-rush for space opera, I doubt there was ever an audience for a blockbuster this openly bizarre.

It's a pity Lunch is so mercurial, combined with his loathing for the film - cos yeah, a full "director's cut" would be amazing to behold. And now's the time to strike n' all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Lynch's extended cut is available, its around 2hrs 50 long.

To be honest, I dont think its possible to properly adapt Dune. The book simply does not lend itself to the film medium. The fact so many good directors have already been defeated having attempted to adapt the book is proof enough. The book makes massive use of character's thought alone to aid the political, scheming side of the plot. Very often things are left thought, but unsaid. So much is conveyed between characters through subtle hand signals or body language too, which we the reader pick up on by narration of thoughts, but that doesnt lend to film either, unless the film becomes a visual-audiobook. A lot of subtleties like that really make the book what it is, which is space-politics really.

All that and the quite convoluted backdrop to it all - even to read its quite a lot to take in at the start and can be overwhelming to remember all the different factions and their roles, I can see it being lost on most audiences, unless Villeneuve dumbs it down significantly.

Advertisement