Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gossies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Ray37 wrote: »
    Question re Grace, I've known her name and did follow her over the last few months, but before all the baby lark were her snaps any good, and was she actually creating any content? I'm the same as a few here, only went back following her for the Gossies drama, and am so glad to see how many people are seeing the wood for the trees in terms of her lack of transparency. I have sent an email to the tea company she promotes, asking them how they feel about her not even using their product etc, and that is reflects badly on them as a brand, and I'm waiting to hear back. I feel like anyone who feels that a blogger, influencer etc isn't being transparent should contact the company they are working with, as maybe it'll force them to take notice.

I followed grace from the very start before she even had Snapchat I used to watch her YouTube videos.
    I found she had a passion for make up and she always admired the make up fairy. When she first started on Snapchat she used to snap but not anywhere like she does now.
    She had a job back then so a few before work and a few after.
    I noticed about a year ago that her and Rosie connelly started promoting everything at one stage tayto crisps had a mention ..
    she would snap where she got her nails done and hair done and that started taking over her original way of snapping.
    She gave up her job to become a full time blogger and that was it it was just a succession of snaps of the cat and plugging brands...
    you will be lucky to here back from the girl at skinny tea she's only interested in promoting her brand

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Khaigs

blairbear wrote: »
    I would hope that what she meant was that some of these bloggers are stuck in a make-up rut themselves! They never change up their own make-up so they aren't much use for showing us new products. A lot of them wear the same make-up every day (as do most people if they're not going on nights out.)

It definitely is an art. I'd consider myself very good at doing my own make-up but I hate doing other people's. It's very hard to know what suits someone else's face.

Yes, thank you!!! Xx
    I didn't mean they are thick or stupid or anything. Some people ready to pounce. I just find some aren't very interesting as they can't make their snaps interesting. Some like Tara O'Farrell, The Beautiful Truth just have the ability to make their snaps more interesting. I unfollowed the boring ones obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Question re Grace, I've known her name and did follow her over the last few months, but before all the baby lark were her snaps any good, and was she actually creating any content? I'm the same as a few here, only went back following her for the Gossies drama, and am so glad to see how many people are seeing the wood for the trees in terms of her lack of transparency. I have sent an email to the tea company she promotes, asking them how they feel about her not even using their product etc, and that is reflects badly on them as a brand, and I'm waiting to hear back. I feel like anyone who feels that a blogger, influencer etc isn't being transparent should contact the company they are working with, as maybe it'll force them to take notice.

Oh let us know if they reply. Can't actually stand the owner or her husband. So sad to see that she is so materialistic and is funding it by selling that crappy skinny tea. Even her snaps today like, it's all about how great she is and that she met with the head guy of some pharmacy range.

I only follow her as I had questions about the tea when it all flared up a few weeks ago! I do that play all thing on snapchat and keep forgetting to get rid!

Its interesting to see that the likes of Goss.ie didn't take the skinny tea people on as sponsors but yet they took unislim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time with that tea company .When Fairy posted her news of becoming a brand ambassador for them, lots of people expressed their disappoinent in her for being associated with a weight loss tea and a product that promotes skinny by the very nature of the product name alone considering she constantly puts #strongnotskinny under all her workout posts. Anyway,owner of the tea company came onto insta and the way in which she addressed Fairys followers was very unprofessional, eg, starting her sentences with "huh?" in response to questions and referring to a poster as "doll". Very unprofessional all round in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

So I got a response back from the tea company, in short saying that they won't discuss who they team up with, as it is an internal matter. I stated that my opinion (ie it makes a brand look a bit dodge if the person promoting it doesnt even use the product) was reflected by many other across social media. Surely if you are working with an influencer to SELL your product, it is very much an external and PUBLIC matter? IMO the response was pretty much akin to 'thanks, but I don't care what you think'... So that's that :)
    ratmouse wrote: »

Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time with that tea company .When Fairy posted her news of becoming a brand ambassador for them, lots of people expressed their disappoinent in her for being associated with a weight loss tea and a product that promotes skinny by the very nature of the product name alone considering she constantly puts #strongnotskinny under all her workout posts. Anyway,owner of the tea company came onto insta and the way in which she addressed Fairys followers was very unprofessional, eg, starting her sentences with "huh?" in response to questions and referring to a poster as "doll". Very unprofessional all round in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mad about nuts

Cria wrote: »
    That's what it looks like if you have no reviews or visitor posts on your public page shows you have something to hide.

Just jordans page is the same....since she blocked me on snapchat i wanted to see if i could send her a message asking for her reason behind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 suziki832

I use to follow Grace quite a bit but I have to agree that her snapchat is so boring these days! she literally snapchats her whole day and constantly going on about the same things day in day out....gym, food, breastfeeding! Don't get me wrong her daughter is gorgeous but get the phone out of the babies face instead of filming her 24/7!! I kind of lost a bit of respect for her after she set up an Instagram account for Sienna when she was just a couple of weeks old...I mean seriously?? But I did feel sorry for her over the breastfeeding facebook group thing...until now!!

Tbh I think this whole 'blogger' thing will die down soon anyways..I hope. All some of them seem to do is have the camera in their face 24/7 and do nothing else! I use to like Love Lauren too but lately all she seems to post is when shes going out for dinner or going off for a weekend away. Its a bit ridiculous to be honest. And the makeupfairy does absolutely nothing except going to the gym 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Just jordans page is the same....since she blocked me on snapchat i wanted to see if i could send her a message asking for her reason behind it

You only asked what the rest of us are asking also. What a lousy response but I'm actually not that surprised.

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Oh let us know if they reply. Can't actually stand the owner or her husband. So sad to see that she is so materialistic and is funding it by selling that crappy skinny tea. Even her snaps today like, it's all about how great she is and that she met with the head guy of some pharmacy range.

I only follow her as I had questions about the tea when it all flared up a few weeks ago! I do that play all thing on snapchat and keep forgetting to get rid!

Its interesting to see that the likes of Goss.ie didn't take the skinny tea people on as sponsors but yet they took unislim?

Who's her husband I don't follow her.

So I got a response back from the tea company, in short saying that they won't discuss who they team up with, as it is an internal matter. I stated that my opinion (ie it makes a brand look a bit dodge if the person promoting it doesnt even use the product) was reflected by many other across social media. Surely if you are working with an influencer to SELL your product, it is very much an external and PUBLIC matter? IMO the response was pretty much akin to 'thanks, but I don't care what you think'... So that's that :)

How is it an internal matter when she uses the bloggers to promote her brand so publicly and as a possible potential customer surely you have a right to know why she is using someone to promote her brand who doesn't even use it.. it's so bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

How is it an internal matter when she uses the bloggers to promote her brand so publicly and as a possible potential customer surely you have a right to know why she is using someone to promote her brand who doesn't even use it.. it's so bizarre.

Why would you have a right to know? Are you investing in the business, are you shareholder?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

meeeeh wrote: »

Why would you have to know? Are you investing in the business, are you shareholder?

Because we are the consumers and we have right to know if the product is being 'pushed upon us' unethically.
    Before you take that out of context, I mean, she has not used that product in over a year because of her pregnancy and now because she's breastfeeding, so her advertising this product isn't really fair is it? She's earning money off pushing a product she can't stand behind, so it's shady and we as consumers have the right to know the full facts.

Because we are the consumers and we have right to know if the product is being 'pushed upon us' unethically.
    Before you take that out of context, I mean, she has not used that product in over a year because of her pregnancy and now because she's breastfeeding, so her advertising this product isn't really fair is it? She's earning money off pushing a product she can't stand behind, so it's shady and we as consumers have the right to know the full facts.

So do you trust pharmacist only if they tried the medicine they are advising you to take? You actually are allowed to advertise stuff you don't use yourself. That's how advertising works, they use actors to advertise products they never saw or tried.

Now you will tell me that you believe people making claims they lost 200 pounds in a month using whatever new exercising product is being pushed.

Edit: the ethical thing would be to disclose any mention of tea is an ad and also that the tea doesn't actually do anything but makes people's wallets lighter. But after that who cares if she is taking it or not, it's not like it makes any difference.

My concern is that not everyone who follows will have realized she doesnt take it. If someone is flogging something and claiming it does 'this' and 'that', well I'd like to know what basis this is on as she has said she doesnt use it. She also claimed that users can lose 5lbs a week from the tea. IMO that is crazily irresponsible, and I mentioned this in my email to the brand too. Also regarding your point about pharmacists, that is not even nearly the same thing. For one, pharmacists are not paid to promote certain products, they have studied at Uni for years to gain a pharmacology degree which in turn gives them license to sell/dispense products. Pharmaceuticals and skinny teas are quite different.

My concern is that not everyone who follows will have realized she doesnt take it. If someone is flogging something and claiming it does 'this' and 'that', well I'd like to know what basis this is on as she has said she doesnt use it. She also claimed that users can lose 5lbs a week from the tea. IMO that is crazily irresponsible, and I mentioned this in my email to the brand too. Also regarding your point about pharmacists, that is not even nearly the same thing. For one, pharmacists are not paid to promote certain products, they have studied at Uni for years to gain a pharmacology degree which in turn gives them license to sell/dispense products. Pharmaceuticals and skinny teas are quite different.
    Are you sure about that? Because I have a few friends who are very well paid to make sure certain medicines are suggested instead the stuff competitors are offering.

I agree she shouldn't make weight loss claims unless they are well proven but weather she takes it or not is completely irrelevant. And you have no right to know advertising strategy, that is internal matter for businesses and I don't know any business who is public about it.

Are you sure about that? Because I have a few friends who are very well paid to make sure certain medicines are suggested instead what opposition is offering.

I agree she shouldn't make weight loss claims unless they are well proven but weather she takes it or not is completely irrelevant.
    Ok well if that's the case then I won't disbelieve you! Are they pharmacists that work day to day in a regular pharmacy? I'm shocked TBH, is that a common practice??  You'd have to wonder about the ethical factor there. Anyway, I don't want to drag this off topic too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Are you sure about that? Because I have a few friends who are very well paid to make sure certain medicines are suggested instead the stuff competitors are offering.
    Not in Ireland, because it's illegal.... or the US where it's strictly regulated. (Source I work in pharma)

Not in Ireland, because it's illegal.... or the US where it's strictly regulated. (Source I work in pharma)

So you are saying that if Novartis or Bayer offer similar product the pharmacy has to offer both and promote them equally? What medicine do they have to offer you if there is a generic and original?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

So you are saying that if Novartis or Bayer offer similar product the pharmacy has to offer both and promote them equally? What medicine do they have to offer you if there is a generic and original?

No I'm saying that the idea of sales reps for pharma companies giving away holidays or trips to conferences for doctors or other stuff is long gone. So long gone it's illegal. Now a days if you bring lunch to let's say 4 doctors in their surgery you have to split the bill by doctor name down as far as the bottles of 7up you bring. Everything has to be declared. For pharmacists there are also NO incentives for selling products other than profit and assisting a customer. Also the days of bonuses for doctors for prescribing or pharmacists for supplying is long gone. Most if not all pharmacists offer generic medicines and gps will prescribe them. It's off the point but I don't trust anything bloggers say but I do trust my doctor and pharmacist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mad about nuts

Ssinead from limerick is back on snap today saying she had a great time at gossies and would fill us in on all the details.....she looked fab at the gossies and said she had a ball but i wonder will she weigh in on anything that went on there?
    I was expecting someone else to do a blog on it similar to rosemarys but i would say it looks like no one else is going to approach it.
    Until next year.After all the drama around ot this year and the lack of "celebrity" names in attendance,next years one might be more in tune with reality.

I'd be surprised if it went ahead next year tbh.
    It's poor business to have the people nominated afraid their going to get booed...
    I know they say all publicity is good publicity but still... your nominees not wanting to go is never good

I think seeing that a lot of the bigger names stayed away really didn't help matters. Then again, being that there was all this *drama*, maybe it'll get more attention??

No I'm saying that the idea of sales reps for pharma companies giving away holidays or trips to conferences for doctors or other stuff is long gone. So long gone it's illegal. Now a days if you bring lunch to let's say 4 doctors in their surgery you have to split the bill by doctor name down as far as the bottles of 7up you bring. Everything has to be declared. For pharmacists there are also NO incentives for selling products other than profit and assisting a customer. Also the days of bonuses for doctors for prescribing or pharmacists for supplying is long gone. Most if not all pharmacists offer generic medicines and gps will prescribe them. It's off the point but I don't trust anything bloggers say but I do trust my doctor and pharmacist
    I think profit is quite enough initiative in case of pharmacies to push one product than its competitor more wouldn't you say.

Btw I never suggested what are effectively bribes but good sales reps do make a difference.

Are you talking about how pharmacists have to to offer you an alternative to say panadol? Like unbranded meds, because that in itself isn't illegal. (I studied Pharma Science in college and 3 of my best friends are pharmacists/ work in the QA/Sales side)

Regardless of any of that, it still has nothing to do with the marketing/advertising of the tea. She has made claims that you could lose up to 5lb a week drinking that tea, yet she's not drinking it. Considering she won 'Influencer of the Year', she's spouting claims she can't back up and she has the opportunity to influence a lot of people which is highly unethical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Hans_Memling

"Social influencer"...how cringe.

Are you talking about how pharmacists have to to offer you an alternative to say panadol? Like unbranded meds, because that in itself isn't illegal. (I studied Pharma Science in college and 3 of my best friends are pharmacists/ work in the QA/Sales side)

Regardless of any of that, it still has nothing to do with the marketing/advertising of the tea. She has made claims that you could lose up to 5lb a week drinking that tea, yet she's not drinking it. Considering she won 'Influencer of the Year', she's spouting claims she can't back up and she has the opportunity to influence a lot of people which is highly unethical.

I said that shouldn't be said unless it's very well proven but I still don't know what has that to do with her using tea or not. Frankly her losing that weight at home drinking tea wouldn't prove anything unless you control other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

This is off-topic but as a doctor, I have to support this post. I never prescribe anything except the generic. I wouldn't even know a lot of trade names. Working in a HSE hospital, there is utterly zero incentive to any NCHD to prescribe certain medication. Pharmaceutical reps are obviously still involved and can talk about their drug at presentations etc but at an NCHD level, it makes no impact on us bar educational and there is no pay out. I cannot speak for consultants or GPs but as stated in the above post, it is very tightly regulated now.

blairbear wrote: »
    This is off-topic but as a doctor, I have to support this post. I never prescribe anything except the generic. I wouldn't even know a lot of trade names. Working in a HSE hospital, there is utterly zero incentive to any NCHD to prescribe certain medication. Pharmaceutical reps are obviously still involved and can talk about their drug at presentations etc but at an NCHD level, it makes no impact on us and there is no pay out. I cannot speak for consultants or GPs but as stated in the above post, it is very tightly regulated now.

I never claimed there is a pay out to doctors but a good sales rep will make a difference. I assume there is more than one generic around. Anyway reply was about pharmacies and they are there to make profits so it's naive to think margins or credit terms won't make any difference when selling over the counter stuff.

• Advertisement

I said that shouldn't be said unless it's very well proven but I still don't know what has that to do with her using tea or not. Frankly her losing that weight at home drinking tea wouldn't prove anything unless you control other factors.

I know I agreed with you, but in this situation, we are adults, we know when we see these influencers talk about these teas etc, we are able to make a good decision about buying it or not. But, she has a lot of young followers (my own 18 year old cousin follows her) and younger teens are impressionable.

Advertisers and Marketing heavily impress upon the 'millennial market' and that's been like that for years, but I know if I see an ad on TV or in a magazine, then I know what I'm getting, but these influencers feel like your friend giving you a recommendation and that's where the line get blurred, ethically so to speak

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement