Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gossies

Options
  • 17-01-2017 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Just thought i'd start a new thread here.... not to block up other threads.

I just find this awards a bit of a farce really.

You can buy tickets online starting at 150 euro...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Some of the categories! Seriously?! Best Girl Boss?! Best Celebrity Couple?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's quite telling how most of the categories are sponsored by companies that these bloggers tend to push and promote quite frequently, such as Flormar and Meaghers pharmacy. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

:D:D:D Also, lots of the sponsors are nominated in the categories, ie the owner of meaghers.

Wonder who will win. ;)

Some people haven't mentioned it on their social media at all. Wonder will they even bother going.

Some bloggers probably won't even bother going. Some might find staying at home eating pizza in bed more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 heretogetreal

You'd swear they were stuck for options with who they ended up choosing!

Definitely not an adequate representation of the individuals most worthy of nomination.

It seems from other awards & exposure pieces from Goss that, it just comes down to whoever is popular in their office at the time... plenty of better influencers & bloggers who didn't get a mention IMO.

All of these award ceromonies are a money racket for brands- endless free exposure from bloggers desperate to win whatever title is going, no matter how utterly irrelevant it actually is on top of all the money & exposure from the night itself... a marketing dream!

With the amount of money these bloggers seem to charge for social media exposure its common sense to get it for free several times over by danging the bone of 'award winning blogger' over their heads. SMH.

• Advertisement

I've looked through all the categories. It really is a joke.

The best blog??? Its sponsored by Bloggerconf..... and surprise surprise Kate Kelly is nominated. She spoke at the "bloggerconf" blogger conference last May along with Coco brown I'm nearly sure. Her blog is nowhere near being in the same league as some of the other blogs nominated.

Nepotism?

Unless maybe I'm blind and just don't get her blog.

ratmouse wrote: »
    Some bloggers probably won't even bother going. Some might find staying at home eating pizza in bed more fun.

I was at a blog awards a few years ago. SJ walked in, sat at a table with friends, collected her award and left straight after. She then snapchatted the rest of her night in McDonalds and kept commenting how good her McDs was :rolleyes: Too funny.

heyjude88 wrote: »
    I was at a blog awards a few years ago. SJ walked in, sat at a table with friends, collected her award and left straight after. She then snapchatted the rest of her night in McDonalds and kept commenting how good her McDs was :rolleyes: Too funny.

Surprised she even went in to collect it . Surprised she didn't sit outside in the passenger seat of the car and send himself in for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

This Girl Boss really irks me!! If there was Boy Boss references there would be uproar and sexist jabs left, right and centre. Does the gender really matter? :o business person award sounds so much more worthy and something people might actually want to win.
    in my opinion the majority of nominees don't deserves to be there and are only there due to their affiliation with the sponsors or to try generate some publicity.
    I'd love to know what sort of person parts with €150 to get dinner and look at a few people off Snapchat?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

Wexy86 wrote: »
    This Girl Boss really irks me!! If there was Boy Boss references there would be uproar and sexist jabs left, right and centre. Does the gender really matter? :o business person award sounds so much more worthy and something people might actually want to win.
    in my opinion the majority of nominees don't deserves to be there and are only there due to their affiliation with the sponsors or to try generate some publicity.
    I'd love to know what sort of person parts with €150 to get dinner and look at a few people off Snapchat?

I am only new to boards so I hope I am doing this right! I am a relatively new blogger and I have bought a ticket to attend the event!

Why? I work hard on my blog and I have tried really hard to make it detailed and informative (it is a beauty blog). I use social media channels to promote my content yet trying to reach an audience is still so hard.

I am hoping to make some contacts at this event as it seems to be the only way you can actually get noticed especially if your not from Dublin.

Crazy to you, no doubt but I do not want to keep writing content I spent a long time creating for no one to read it.

Hope this makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Just thought i'd start a new thread here.... not to block up other threads.

I just find this awards a bit of a farce really.

You can buy tickets online starting at 150 euro...

It's a joke considering the way half of these people conducted themselves in 2016.
    The majority pushed every product they could onto their followers..
    Some of them are being investigated by the ASAI.
    Some of them illegally promoted products and lied about paying for products they received for free .
    The majority are not transparent.
    Last year for the bigger bloggers was all about Snapchat no content on blogs.

The honest bloggers will be completely overlooked due to the sponsors of these made up awards.

What's the bets the people that win are the top people for plugging products.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nikkid27

Do any of you follow The White Moose Cafe/Paul Stenson on snapchat. He is absolutely brilliant. They never get nominated for any awards as Paul said "they are not in bed with PR companies". They asked followers to tweet Goss.ie asking why they weren't nominated. The CEO replied to one followed and I have to say she really let herself and the company down. She said it was a celebrity driven event. I nearly spat out my tea. Paul is known worldwide for his antics at the hotel and cafe and is far more entertaining than anyone on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Nikkid27 wrote: »
    Do any of you follow The White Moose Cafe/Paul Stenson on snapchat. He is absolutely brilliant. They never get nominated for any awards as Paul said "they are not in bed with PR companies". They asked followers to tweet Goss.ie asking why they weren't nominated. The CEO replied to one followed and I have to say she really let herself and the company down. She said it was a celebrity driven event. I nearly spat out my tea. Paul is known worldwide for his antics at the hotel and cafe and is far more entertaining than anyone on that list.

I have no time for the vast majority of bloggers but, honestly, I'd read and follow every one of them on every social media platform going before following that guy. His "antics" amount to nothing more than trying to stir up fake controversy every few weeks so his name and face will keep being posted on social media and the likes of joe.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I agree. I think he's really funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BeeMee_123

Wexy86 wrote: »

I am only new to boards so I hope I am doing this right! I am a relatively new blogger and I have bought a ticket to attend the event!

Why? I work hard on my blog and I have tried really hard to make it detailed and informative (it is a beauty blog). I use social media channels to promote my content yet trying to reach an audience is still so hard.

I am hoping to make some contacts at this event as it seems to be the only way you can actually get noticed especially if your not from Dublin.

Crazy to you, no doubt but I do not want to keep writing content I spent a long time creating for no one to read it.

Hope this makes sense?

I think your bang on that the event will create connections for you. Best of luck with the blogging..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BeeMee_123

Wow that's such a disappointing reply. It's what we all know & see but don't want to hear.. really like that guy he's very funny & totally honest

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

It's a bit unfair really, they nominate loads of people in each category, clearly to to get each blogger to mention the site and ask for a vote. But someone with 50000 followers is definitely going to get more votes than someone with 20000 followers, even if their blog/snapchat/website isn't better. It's just a popularity contest.

BeeMee_123 wrote: »
    I think your bang on that the event will create connections for you. Best of luck with the blogging..

Thank you, now I hope I can network it's not really my strong point!

I have not heard of him before I will add him and see. I don't understand why he would kick up a stink on Twitter and get others too as well. I am not sure what that will achieve to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I have not heard of him before I will add him and see. I don't understand why he would kick up a stink on Twitter and get others too as well. I am not sure what that will achieve to be honest.

He likes to get people backs up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Nikkid27

He had said in a later snap that he had no interest in being nominated and even if they were he wouldn't go it's his marketing strategy. Basically he wanted to get @whitemoosecafe mentioned hundreds of time on twitter to open them up to new followers and it worked. He is a marketing genius and not in the traditional nicey nice way

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

All these awards are just a gimmick. All so the blogger can add "award winning blogger" to their Bio! €150 to attend is madness! I also hate the expression girl boss, who made this crap up?! There are so many professional women out there doing great things. I'd be offended to be labelled a "girl boss". Just shows the level of maturity and age group these awards are gearing towards!

scarbouro wrote: »
    All these awards are just a gimmick. All so the blogger can add "award winning blogger" to their Bio! €150 to attend is madness! I also hate the expression girl boss, who made this crap up?! There are so many professional women out there doing great things. I'd be offended to be labelled a "girl boss". Just shows the level of maturity and age group these awards are gearing towards!

I feel the same about that ridiculous term. Imagine the female doctor of a GP surgery or medical centre calling herself a girl boss. Imagine a female partner of a solicitor's firm wanting to be referred to as a girl boss. Wouldn't happen. Most professional people (often more so those with formal education) have more going for them and their actual hard earned professional title than to be bandying around some cringe worthy made up label. Mortified for these gobsh*tes who use that reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

The irony is that no real celebrities would be caught dead at these so called 'celebrity' awards unless they're really really desperate to promote something.

The term 'Girl Boss' makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

:D:D:D Also, lots of the sponsors are nominated in the categories, ie the owner of meaghers.

Wonder who will win. ;)

Some people haven't mentioned it on their social media at all. Wonder will they even bother going.

Waxsperts Ellen was begging for votes last night. Wasn't she the snapper that asked people to vote for her friends blog (who at the time was far back in the running for winning) and all her followers then voted for said friend just because she asked not because the blog was quality that boiled my blood think it was her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

How were the nominees chosen in the first place? By the public or by Goss.ie then to be voted on by the public?

Keepingitreal - while I can understand the lure of going to an event like this to make contacts, you really won't get very many new readers out of it. That is something you can do organically via tagging, regular networking, commenting on other people's blogs that you read and promoting your blog via your own social media channels. I hope you enjoy the even though and make a few useful contacts or meet other similar minded bloggers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

what's his snapchat I didn't know he was on snapchat wasn't it him that caused uproar with his vegan antics so funny

miamee wrote: »
    How were the nominees chosen in the first place? By the public or by Goss.ie then to be voted on by the public?

Keepingitreal - while I can understand the lure of going to an event like this to make contacts, you really won't get very many new readers out of it. That is something you can do organically via tagging, regular networking, commenting on other people's blogs that you read and promoting your blog via your own social media channels. I hope you enjoy the even though and make a few useful contacts or meet other similar minded bloggers :)

I kind of agree. I reckon it's so hard to break into the blogging circuit as a new blogger and it's a shame if it's a new blogger who has talent and a capability to actually write. It's been ruined and oversaturated with talentless dim wits leaving no room, or even interest it would appear, for genuinely good new bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

BeeMee_123 wrote: »
    Wow that's such a disappointing reply. It's what we all know & see but don't want to hear.. really like that guy he's very funny & totally honest

Can you link me what she said I can't see it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Mzo1978 wrote: »
    Waxsperts Ellen was begging for votes last night. Wasn't she the snapper that asked people to vote for her friends blog (who at the time was far back in the running for winning) and all her followers then voted for said friend just because she asked not because the blog was quality that boiled my blood think it was her.

I think that was Marissa carter getting votes for Kate and Stephanie that used work for her. They both won to as far as I can remember.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement